Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

blue squares posted:

Should I preorder Mario Odyssey? I dont care about any bonuses, just making sure I can buy it ASAP

Do you know you are going to want to play a Very Good Game? If so, sure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drunk Tomato
Apr 23, 2010

If God wanted us sober,
He'd knock the glass over.

Mahoning posted:

If that guy is "very smart and good at analysis" then I wonder what this makes me. Took me less than 5 min to find and make this updated chart with the April through June numbers:

Source: https://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/pdf/2017/170726e.pdf

Lol tweet this back to the original "GAMES JOURNALIST" and tell him he's dumb and should feel bad and mostly should stop spreading misleading statistics just because he was able to make a poorly color-coordinated graph on Microsoft Excel.

One time I took some sports data and extrapolated some assumptions and predictions from it, and that got retweeted by a sports-radio host. Soon after I got owned by smarter people about how my calculations were flawed and my assumptions were wrong and I was dumb. I apologized sheepishly since it was just a silly thing I did for fun and I was in no way identifying myself as a SPORTS JOURNALIST.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

blue squares posted:

Should I preorder Mario Odyssey? I dont care about any bonuses, just making sure I can buy it ASAP
Yes, of course. It's 20% off preorder with Amazon Prime or Best Buy GCU discounts. It's also a must-own Switch game, so you're going to get it anyways.

Could you walk into a store on release day and purchase it? Probably, but of all the games coming out this year it's definitely the one that might have supply issues through the holidays.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

acksplode posted:

I was shocked when Samus Returns was announced, I would've thought 3DS would be in maintenance mode the moment Switch was released. I guess that's what a massive install base can do for a console. But yeah it's so old that its days have to be numbered at this point, and Switch is an opportunity for Nintendo to build up a large library of first-party games on a single platform, instead of spreading them across a handheld and console device. I think Nintendo would be shooting themselves in the foot if they didn't focus on what looks like a potentially very successful platform and give it the best library they can.

Wii U was in maintenance mode the instant the switch released because that's what it's actually replacing-- a $300+ console. It's just that the Switch happens to be usable 100% in handheld mode.

On the other hand, the 3DS at this point is really just the 3rd "fully backwards compatible" iteration of the DS line-- DS, 3DS, N3DS all have games that only work on the new console but all of them can play the older hardware's games. The fact that the next iteration of the 3DS line post-switch was the N2DS, with exactly the same form factor as the 3DS but without the 3D at a $150 price point, tells me that they've pretty much gone all in on owning the "cheaper handheld console" niche with the DS line for the foreseeable future. It's easy for this forum of presumably-older-people-who-dropped-$10-on-a-dead-gay-comedy-forum to forget, but most parents aren't going to buy Jimmy in 4th grade a $300 delicate tablet console to stick in their backpack.

Now, what I do expect is that 3rd party developers that made 3DS games because it was a choice between 3DS or PSP and are targeting an older audience are likely to start hitting the Switch over the 3DS (SMT springs immediately to mind), but there's so little competition in the "Handheld video game console with decent battery life that's not a phone" market that it'd be crazy dumb to give it up without a plan for a followup, and I really don't see Nintendo telling 3DS developers to prep for another platform/dev kit swap this soon after dropping the Switch.

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

Ragequit posted:

If you have Amazon Prime you should absolutely pre-order. All Prime pre-orders for video games gets you a 20% discount.

Does Amazon still do the thing where it'll be delivered the day of release?

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!
Ideally but reports vary. I'm okay with getting it a day or two late but in theory yeah they do release date delivery

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Dr. VooDoo posted:

They do if you preorder early enough. For popular titles it seems they get rolling supply (or maybe they just internally do rolling delivery) and if you preorder late it can take a few days to get it.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Dr. VooDoo posted:

I've only ever had trouble getting games on release day if it's a Nintendo game, so YMMV.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

SeANMcBAY posted:

I think Best Buy is giving away a cool coin with pre orders. I still have the coin from when I preordered Mario Galaxy 1 so they'll go nicely together.

Best Buy also gives you $10 in reward bucks on top of the 20% discount.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Amazon died the thing where they delay your item due to shortage but somehow put a ton of the same item on their treasure truck

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!

SeANMcBAY posted:

I think Best Buy is giving away a cool coin with pre orders. I still have the coin from when I preordered Mario Galaxy 1 so they'll go nicely together.

You have to pre-order and a brick and mortar to get the coin, you only get the $10 gift certificate if you preorder online

It was a certain time period you needed to preorder too so it might have passed

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

Wii U was in maintenance mode the instant the switch released because that's what it's actually replacing-- a $300+ console. It's just that the Switch happens to be usable 100% in handheld mode.

On the other hand, the 3DS at this point is really just the 3rd "fully backwards compatible" iteration of the DS line-- DS, 3DS, N3DS all have games that only work on the new console but all of them can play the older hardware's games. The fact that the next iteration of the 3DS line post-switch was the N2DS, with exactly the same form factor as the 3DS but without the 3D at a $150 price point, tells me that they've pretty much gone all in on owning the "cheaper handheld console" niche with the DS line for the foreseeable future. It's easy for this forum of presumably-older-people-who-dropped-$10-on-a-dead-gay-comedy-forum to forget, but most parents aren't going to buy Jimmy in 4th grade a $300 delicate tablet console to stick in their backpack.

Now, what I do expect is that 3rd party developers that made 3DS games because it was a choice between 3DS or PSP and are targeting an older audience are likely to start hitting the Switch over the 3DS (SMT springs immediately to mind), but there's so little competition in the "Handheld video game console with decent battery life that's not a phone" market that it'd be crazy dumb to give it up without a plan for a followup, and I really don't see Nintendo telling 3DS developers to prep for another platform/dev kit swap this soon after dropping the Switch.

Yeah I don't expect the 3DS line to disappear anytime soon because the design and price point are perfect for kids. I'm just amazed Nintendo is still releasing exclusive games for it -- it's not like they need to round out the library at this point. Seems like their money would be better invested in growing the Switch's library. Maybe they're clearing out what's already in the pipeline, given that the Switch was rushed to market.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

HD assets are expensive. 3DS is basically the final vanguard for SD game development if you think about it.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

I dont want to preorder from Amazon because they deliver to my house around 7pm and half the time I order stuff from Prime, it arrives a day or two later than the guaranteed delivery date anyway. I'll just go to gamestop

Chimp_On_Stilts
Aug 31, 2004
Holy Hell.

acksplode posted:

I'm just amazed Nintendo is still releasing exclusive games for [the 3DS].

Anything releasing now has probably been in development for several years. Nintendo couldn't have known the Switch would be such a success several years ago, and the obvious business decision is to continue supporting the 3DS until you're completely sure the business will transition to the Switch.

They're clearing out the pipeline, as you said.

They already announced that the next Pokémon will be for switch. Pokémon is Nintendo's flagship handheld series. This indicates that they are committing resources to the Switch in a big way.

Spellman
May 31, 2011

acksplode posted:

Yeah I don't expect the 3DS line to disappear anytime soon because the design and price point are perfect for kids. I'm just amazed Nintendo is still releasing exclusive games for it -- it's not like they need to round out the library at this point. Seems like their money would be better invested in growing the Switch's library. Maybe they're clearing out what's already in the pipeline, given that the Switch was rushed to market.

It does have a wonderful library, but support has to stay strong for basically as long as it takes for it to have a successor. People act like the Switch is Nintendo's final console, but 5 or 7 years from now, Nintendo will again need new hardware ideas to keep their games interesting and relevant. Totally cannibalizing the dedicated handheld line just doesn't seem like a thing Nintendo would ever do since they've always survived their worst financial quarters with a stronger second pillar

It might be hard for people to see what form a successor to the 3DS would take with the Switch now firing on all cylinders and seemingly occupying both their home and handheld markets, but Nintendo will likely find some new form-factor, or way to play dedicated handheld games when the market is ready for it

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Spellman posted:

It does have a wonderful library, but support has to stay strong for basically as long as it takes for it to have a successor. People act like the Switch is Nintendo's final console, but 5 or 7 years from now, Nintendo will again need new hardware ideas to keep their games interesting and relevant. Totally cannibalizing the dedicated handheld line just doesn't seem like a thing Nintendo would ever do since they've always survived their worst financial quarters with a stronger second pillar

It might be hard for people to see what form a successor to the 3DS would take with the Switch now firing on all cylinders and seemingly occupying both their home and handheld markets, but Nintendo will likely find some new form-factor, or way to play dedicated handheld games when the market is ready for it

The entire goddamn point of the Switch was to get away from directly competing with the more powerful Xbox and Playstation lines and to stop splitting handheld and console development. There is not going to be a 3DS successor.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

Having now played an hour of stardew when I meant to play fifteen minutes i can confirm it is hypnotic and excellent

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

deadwing posted:

If you're in the Best Buy gamers club thing, I think Odyssey is one of the 20% off + 10 dollar gift certificate games.

It is. $38 for Odyssey is hard to beat.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
broke down and finally bought a switch after getting burned real hard on the wiiu. this thing is fantastic. why did i ever doubt.

edit: wow this zelda map can't possibly be this big.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Impermanent posted:

broke down and finally bought a switch after getting burned real hard on the wiiu. this thing is fantastic. why did i ever doubt.

Zelda huge

Sensual Simian
Jun 7, 2004

summer jorts

Impermanent posted:

upgrade your stamina first until you have more than 2 full circles. it opens up the map in every direction and you can climb virtually any surface.

Meldonox
Jan 13, 2006

Hey, are you listening to a word I'm saying?
Oh yeah, it's loving gigantic and packed with stuff to find.

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003

blue squares posted:

I dont want to preorder from Amazon because they deliver to my house around 7pm and half the time I order stuff from Prime, it arrives a day or two later than the guaranteed delivery date anyway. I'll just go to gamestop

You should talk to customer service. They always credit me $10 or an extra month of Prime when this happens.

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

I know Isaac is old news but I've been playing again since the content patch and I just randomly decided to try the Ultra Hard challenge for the first time. Fought one or two rooms then looked up the ruleset: no healing hearts, double bosses, all champion monsters, wow that's crazy unfair and I'm never going to grind an early combination of useful items so I'll just die off then never do that challenge again.

The first two items I found were Card Mimic and Two of Hearts, meaning I had a reusable source of healing. Meaning I had to beat it on this first attempt or I was never going to beat it at all.

I have not been that stressed over a video game in a while.

I'm glad I pulled it off; it's unbecoming to curse at work.

PantsBandit posted:

I mean, it's tiny for a AAA game. I realize that Nintendo games aren't using absurdly high-res textures or anything but still from what I've seen of odyssey fitting it in 5 gigs is incredible.

It's mildly nauseating how commonly accepted software bloat is.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Really. You rarely hear about how other companies try to compress their games, but Nintendo has it down to an art form.

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

Impermanent posted:

oh this warms my heart :allears:

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009
First thing I did in Zelda was beeline every tower. Getting up that one surrounded by water and wizards is hard as poo poo when you're early game

Fun Times!
Dec 26, 2010
Nintendo didn't want to copy Ubisoft and fill their games with towers you had to climb, so they put Revali's Gale in the game.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Spellman posted:

The Switch is the successor to the 3DS (and WiiU).

5-7 years from now we'll get the Super Switch and it'll maybe run 1080p hand-held in addition to running everything at 1080p 60fps while docked. Maybe it'll do 4k but I could see Nintendo giving that a hard pass unless 4k becomes the standard 1-2 years before the console comes out (it probably won't).

Fremry posted:

You should talk to customer service. They always credit me $10 or an extra month of Prime when this happens.

They gave me a $5 credit when I called and asked to switch my Disgaea 5 pre-order to digital only to realize I'd been looking at the PS4 version and that there was no digital version for the Switch yet. :downs:

Impermanent posted:

Please share your experiences with the thread because it's always fun to relive the magic through others playing BOTW for the first time. :allears:

Sudden Javelin posted:

First thing I did in Zelda was beeline every tower. Getting up that one surrounded by water and wizards is hard as poo poo when you're early game

That loving tower. I spent probably half an hour clearing a path to it, only for a drat blood moon to occur while I was making my approach to start climbing. Had to re-kill so many enemies. :argh:

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy

Impermanent posted:

Zelda is on the Wii U :ssh:

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

5 years from now the Nintendo Switch successor will be running on the A14x chip if you know what I mean

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

so good at being in trouble

Impermanent posted:

How'd u get burned on the wiiu mate? Were the fans clogged or something

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

People really really don't want to admit the Switch is a handheld and I'm not sure why.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

Sitting in meetings and am only thinking about watering my parsnips

send help

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

[quote="“Impermanent”" post="“477252177”"]

edit: wow this zelda map can’t possibly be this big.
[/quote]

I am very jealous. Experiencing botw for the first time is a top 3 gaming moment for me.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Evil Fluffy posted:

5-7 years from now we'll get the Super Switch

First upgrade of the internals will be out by the end of 2020, if not a year earlier.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Evil Fluffy posted:

That loving tower. I spent probably half an hour clearing a path to it, only for a drat blood moon to occur while I was making my approach to start climbing. Had to re-kill so many enemies. :argh:
I just made a run for it and managed to dodge the wizards while I climbed

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

iajanus posted:

Sitting in meetings and am only thinking about watering my parsnips

send help

good news friend, you can bring the switch anywhere

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g4xW9aCg2zY