Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
call to action
Jun 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
literally every tipped person I know vastly prefers tipped work to wage work, because they make way more and are taxed less on it, but perhaps they're just too lowly of people for their opinion to matter

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Main Paineframe posted:

fake progressives are worse than conservatives and it's gonna be a huge disaster if committed centrists manage to co-opt the leftist push by lying through their loving teeth

Dude's a house rep. Worst case scenario is that you have to wait two years before you can primary his rear end if he steps out of line.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

docbeard posted:

This is really, really not a thing that is exclusive to centrists.

It is, however, extremely common among them.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Frijolero posted:

Khanna took money from SV and then, after being elected, pledged to not take outside funds and is now pushing for anti-trust on SV.

Call me naive, but if that's not a victory for left-populism then what the gently caress is?

You can say anything any politician does is token bullshit, but that's also discrediting the very real leftward shift that is happening. At least people like Khanna have the decency of conceding to progressive policies. What did HRC do when faced with $15 an hour and MfA? She balked at both.

don't think of ro khanna as Hillary

think of him as those California legislature members who campaigned on promising to pass single-payer, got elected, and then voted against single-payer

was that a victory for leftism? no, a ton of time and money and energy and enthusiasm got poured into electing stealth centrists who can't be booted for at least a couple years, by which point they'll have the incumbency advantage and plenty of cozy funding relationships with local wealthy elites

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Cerebral Bore posted:

It is, however, extremely common among them.

Well yeah, because it's extremely common, full stop.

Gene Hackman Fan
Dec 27, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

docbeard posted:

Was anyone (aside from Donna Brazile because of course) trying to defend Weinstein?

after the absolute bullshit I've seen in defense of roman polanski, i couldn't be hosed to seek bad opinions out.

but rest assured, it's the internet: if somebody can masturbate to anything, then surely it can apply that somebody will defend absolute bullshit.

edit: see also the legion of hot takes as posted by cc, zegermans, etc, as well as twitter

Gene Hackman Fan has issued a correction as of 21:19 on Oct 10, 2017

Frijolero
Jan 24, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Willa Rogers posted:

Yah, I'm just glad that bernie's platform is seen as the floor for candidates these days.

:agreed:

And I think politicians vocalizing their support for the platform and getting their constituents behind these proposals is a good thing and should be encouraged.

Main Paineframe posted:

fake progressives are worse than conservatives and it's gonna be a huge disaster if committed centrists manage to co-opt the leftist push by lying through their loving teeth

I think this is an incredibly privileged and silly concern.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

docbeard posted:

Was anyone (aside from Donna Brazile because of course) trying to defend Weinstein?

I would like to see more people pressed to explain why they were 100% okay with hanging out and being associated with him even though the fact that he was a serial sexual predator of vulnerable women was well known. They dropped him not because of what he did, but because what he did suddenly became a liability. Doubly so since the Democrats claim to be the party that stands against people like him.

Gene Hackman Fan
Dec 27, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
in case y'all missed that last chapter: rich, white women who called themselves feminists were trying to say that a 12yr old girl seduced a grown-assed man while she was loopy on quaaludes.

because the dude directed chinatown.

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler

not 69%, mods arrest this man

Frijolero
Jan 24, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Main Paineframe posted:

don't think of ro khanna as Hillary

think of him as those California legislature members who campaigned on promising to pass single-payer, got elected, and then voted against single-payer

was that a victory for leftism? no, a ton of time and money and energy and enthusiasm got poured into electing stealth centrists who can't be booted for at least a couple years, by which point they'll have the incumbency advantage and plenty of cozy funding relationships with local wealthy elites

Should we all start in-fighting because a freshman rep. is actually not who he says he is even though he hasn't shown otherwise while in office?

That's just politics tho. People are going to lie all the time about everything. Those Cali people are in power, so what? They'll get kicked out at some point. But if active politicians are pushing for MfA at the national level, that's a victory and that's momentum.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Thoguh posted:

I would like to see more people pressed to explain why they were 100% okay with hanging out and being associated with him even though the fact that he was a serial sexual predator of vulnerable women was well known. They dropped him not because of what he did, but because what he did suddenly became a liability. Doubly so since the Democrats claim to be the party that stands against people like him.

Yeah, wouldn't mind seeing this myself. I have a feeling we're going to be seeing more and more of this sort of thing as (if) time goes on, and it's going to be a lot harder for people to answer anything but "we really loved his money".

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Frijolero posted:

Should we all start in-fighting because a freshman rep. is actually not who he says he is even though he hasn't shown otherwise while in office?

Well yes, obviously.

Or no, just don't let the fucker out of your sight.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

You talk about THEIR wealth that they CREATED as though you're somehow entitled to it along with everyone else simply for... well just existing I guess?

Only on r/Futurology will you find people praising billionaires for the great leaps with which they propel society foward and then demanding they give them their rewards in the same breath. Oh, and then referring to such involuntary handouts as "scraps"...

Karl Barks
Jan 21, 1981

read this and read the comments and have a good laugh and then cry

http://yournewswire.com/democrat-principal-pledge-allegiance/

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

I think your assumption that AI will eliminate the consumer, largely shared by this community and Reddit at large, isn't supported by much other than fear.

Technology has historically always eliminated certain jobs but it invariably generates even more. Also, it seems like a gross overstatement to suggest AI would be adopted across every industry overnight, or that it even will be adopted universally.

Lastly, and most importantly imo, all a UBI would do is inflate the economy. If everyone is $20,000 richer all of a sudden, then prices will increase to reflect that increase in the money supply, effectively eliminating any benefit the UBI caused and simultaneously devaluing the money people already had.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

and now for the flourish:

Is there a demand for oxygen? I can't imagine anyone would pay for something so freely available haha. And no the sun isn't owned so it wouldn't be bought but rather it'd be homesteaded. Homesteading is when we initially turn something that was previously unowned by being the first to mix our labor with it. So theoretically yes you could own a star, of course doing this in our solar system would cause quite the negative externality and preventing negative externalities is one of the few legitimate functions of government under libertarianism.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

SKULL.GIF posted:

Only on r/Futurology

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DOqb_UzJSUQ

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

SKULL.GIF posted:

You talk about THEIR wealth that they CREATED as though you're somehow entitled to it along with everyone else simply for... well just existing I guess?

Only on r/Futurology will you find people praising billionaires for the great leaps with which they propel society foward and then demanding they give them their rewards in the same breath. Oh, and then referring to such involuntary handouts as "scraps"...

I'm the self-proclaimed MD-PhD-MBA

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
https://twitter.com/kengreller/status/917788969261076483

https://twitter.com/nataliesurely/status/917653328405741568

and behold, the username/profile pic/lovely take trifecta:

https://twitter.com/validthought/status/917592476411506688

Frijolero
Jan 24, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Karl Barks posted:

Whitmore 2018

Gene Hackman Fan
Dec 27, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I only looked this up because it just got mentioned on the local news:

she's rightfully eating poo poo for this, btw

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

call to action posted:

literally every tipped person I know vastly prefers tipped work to wage work, because they make way more and are taxed less on it, but perhaps they're just too lowly of people for their opinion to matter

Servers and bartenders are among the lowest of the lumpenproletariat. Even the police have more potential to see the light since they have to actually confront the horrors capitalism creates and can be given a frame of reference.

Calibanibal
Aug 25, 2015

Karl Barks posted:

he's running

Gene Hackman Fan
Dec 27, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
while I'm at it: guillotine costal libs with an annual net worth more of than 5mil, btw

Gene Hackman Fan
Dec 27, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Karl Barks posted:

fake news.

Frijolero
Jan 24, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Registered Democrat shits on the flag and smokes some meth

Dems are good again! Awooo!!

Karl Barks
Jan 21, 1981

this is real

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

Thoguh posted:

according to lena d, she "evolved" once the nyt story broke:

quote:

In the fall of 2016, I performed at a benefit for Hillary Clinton organized by the Weinstein Company. I had heard the rumors. I felt that going onstage under his aegis was a betrayal of my own values. But I wanted so desperately to support my candidate that I made a calculation. We’ve all made calculations, and saying we’re sorry about those calculations is not an act of cowardice. It’s an essential change of position that could shift the way we do business and the way women regard their own position in the workplace. I’m sorry I shook the hand of someone I knew was not a friend to women in my industry.

here's a nyt piece on how even now few in h'wood will speak against the creep: https://www.nytimes.com/2017/10/08/business/media/harvey-weinstein-harassment-hollywood.html

call to action
Jun 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
lena also thinks that 'men' should stand up to harvey weinstein

Gene Hackman Fan
Dec 27, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Karl Barks posted:

this is real

considering that has never stopped anyone who levies that charge, your point is...?

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

His alleged behavior became something of a Hollywood open secret: When the comedian Seth MacFarlane announced Oscar nominees in 2013, he joked, “Congratulations, you five ladies no longer have to pretend to be attracted to Harvey Weinstein.” The audience laughed.

Bear Retrieval Unit
Nov 5, 2009

Mudslide Experiment

call to action posted:

soooo what's not included in STEAM? Social science?

EA titles. You need Origin​ for those.

Karl Barks
Jan 21, 1981

Gene Hackman Fan posted:

considering that has never stopped anyone who levies that charge, your point is...?

my point is that that news article is real and true

Karl Barks
Jan 21, 1981

Willa Rogers posted:

His alleged behavior became something of a Hollywood open secret: When the comedian Seth MacFarlane announced Oscar nominees in 2013, he joked, “Congratulations, you five ladies no longer have to pretend to be attracted to Harvey Weinstein.” The audience laughed.

:yikes:

The Ol Spicy Keychain
Jan 17, 2013

I MEPHISTO MY OWN ASSHOLE
destroy hollywood tbh

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Scent of Worf posted:

destroy hollywood tbh

Showbiz was invented similar to politics so old creepy guy could get laid.

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

etalian posted:

Showbiz was invented similar to politics so old creepy guy could get laid.

it sounds like all and every institution :thunk:

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Hey, do you guys remember that band Harvey Danger?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gene Hackman Fan
Dec 27, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

FactsAreUseless posted:

Hey, do you guys remember that band Harvey Danger?

are they back in pog form?

• Locked thread