Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Raxivace posted:

It's the only Carpenter movie I kind of like.

I'm sorry you lost your daughter in an ice cream shooting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stexils
Jun 5, 2008

al-azad posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OD-iD2qYVkk

gently caress yes. Two spooky games down so far.

What was Bethesda trying to do? All I remember is Steam giving the option and everyone flipping out but eh people should charge money for something they think is worth money and a lot of mods are beyond professional quality.

the way they implemented it was extremely lazy and hosed up. i think bethesda took like a 30 percent cut from paid mods for doing absolutely nothing, and also legally owned anything you made.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

al-azad posted:

What was Bethesda trying to do? All I remember is Steam giving the option and everyone flipping out but eh people should charge money for something they think is worth money and a lot of mods are beyond professional quality.

the mods they launched the creator club with are literally just like crappy clones of armor mods and pipboy reskins that are actually worse than what modders have put up on the nexus

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
also good luck getting bigger mods up there because the creator club downloads them all to the fallout 4 installation regardless of whether the player's bought them or not, and just encrypts them until they do, which is a complete waste of space and also means there's no way they're going to be allowing huge quest mods with tons of voice acting unless they want to inflate the game's size even more. when the system launched it already ballooned it up by an extra 8gb

Stexils
Jun 5, 2008

The Colonel posted:

also good luck getting bigger mods up there because the creator club downloads them all to the fallout 4 installation regardless of whether the player's bought them or not, and just encrypts them until they do

lol that's dumb as hell

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

al-azad posted:

Supporting mod authors with donations has always been possible and doesn't need to be chained to a system where bethesda and valve take 75% of the loving profits while that system does absolutely nothing to deal with shifting mod dependencies and updates that cause problems through compatibility or otherwise. The thing was transparently just a corporate response to suits seeing buzz around mods and demanding "how haven't we monetized this yet!?" without actually understanding what mods are or why that idea is a mess. It also got into legal nightmare territory when paid mods started using resources like animations and models that the modder did not create and did not have permission to use.

I don't know if the new system is any better about the dependency issues but it's already laughable because it makes you download every single mod on the service if you just want to use one of them.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
should i grab Dragon's Dogma HD or something else today

i'm glad i'm hopefully almost done with tooth surgery, as nice as the painkillers are it would be nicer to be able to eat something besides soup and ice cream and smoke weed =\

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I feel stupid not having anything new to play when so many good things have come out this year. Not having spare cash sucks.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Normal people at 3:40 PM on a tuesday: Boy, I sure am glad I'm getting my education and/or are at work earning a satisfying living wage, the betterment of my future is great!

CJacobs at 3:40 PM on a tuesday: gently caress the betterment of my future, I wanna add MGS health bars to viral videos

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H2tSs0Y4F2s&t=52s

Stexils
Jun 5, 2008

Digirat posted:

I don't know if the new system is any better about the dependency issues but it's already laughable because it makes you download every single mod on the service if you just want to use one of them.

even if they had a big neon warning that you weren't allowed to use any other mod content in your own if your mod is monetized that would require them to devote a significant amount of resources to investigating and verifying content and preventing people from just making free versions of paid mods. its definitely doable but it would require a lot more thought and effort than bethesda has shown themselves willing or able to commit.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Digirat posted:

Why? Why even do this? Is Bethesda just bad at anything to do with optimization or file structure or computers in general

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
bethesda's not going to create a big infrastructure for something that exists because they saw mods and thought "we should monetize this"

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
I beat DESPERATE HOUSEWIVES THE GAME. please enjoy this video of the ending i got, in which everyone gets murdered with guns

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IEiLqDLTwAs

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!

corn in the bible posted:

I beat DESPERATE HOUSEWIVES THE GAME. please enjoy this video of the ending i got, in which everyone gets murdered with guns

A better ending than LOST: THE GAME. I don't...even really remember the ending but I assume this is better than that ending was anyways.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

lp this

New Concept Hole
Oct 10, 2012

東方動的

One of David Cage's subtler endings

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Dave Angel
Sep 8, 2004

Viewtiful Jew posted:

A better ending than LOST: THE GAME. I don't...even really remember the ending but I assume this is better than that ending was anyways.

gently caress, I just lost The Game.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
iirc the ending of the LOST game was literally "twas all a dream"

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I wish Telltale circa 2012 had made a Lost game.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

no thanks dude, it's hella long

corn in the bible fucked around with this message at 00:25 on Oct 11, 2017

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

I like to play good video games

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!

precision posted:

iirc the ending of the LOST game was literally "twas all a dream"

Oh God that's right. That WAS the ending to the game.

This game.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

it looks like the sims 2

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

choose the happy response

Stexils
Jun 5, 2008

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

The Colonel posted:

bethesda's not going to create a big infrastructure for something that exists because they saw mods and thought "we should monetize this"

That decision means they need way more infrastructure, it wastes such an enormous amount of bandwidth that I almost think it’s being reported wrong

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
Good news, Ys8 is getting a good translation

Lots of apologizing but no release date tho. Still expected to be somewhere this year.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

haveblue posted:

That decision means they need way more infrastructure, it wastes such an enormous amount of bandwidth that I almost think it’s being reported wrong

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Samuringa posted:

Lots of apologizing but no release date tho. Still expected to be somewhere this year.

they'll fix the glaring issues but they're not going to give it a good translation in less than two months that's just not happening even if they've got an editing god working on it

if the new editor actually gives a poo poo about the game and they give them enough time then it actually could end up being a huge improvement but you can't fix a terrible localization for an 80 hour dialog-heavy action rpg with that kind of release estimate

The Colonel fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Oct 11, 2017

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Samuringa posted:

if anyone is wondering how bad this was

there's a statistic in your journal that tracks how much fish lore you have (different # of fish caught basically)

lower on the same tab it displays # of fish for item completion (different # of fish caught basically)

these two statistics will be different

some dumbass doing the translation swapped fish for medicine

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost
JESUS loving CHRIST THEY hosed UP THE EXPERIENCE BUFF TOO GAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

al-azad
May 28, 2009

I haven't played Ys 8 but from what I've seen it seems like parts were clearly localized and other parts were almost machine translated. There's one area called Crevice of the Archeozoic Era but on the map screen it's called Archeozoic Big Hole which is a literal translation. The pessimist in me thinks they wanted to get this out before the end of the fiscal year and they were working on properly localizing it all along.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
it's real lovely cause they basically swiped it away from the hands of a really passionate loc team that had time to work on it, but not big publisher money, and then did an infinitely shittier job

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

al-azad posted:

I haven't played Ys 8 but from what I've seen it seems like parts were clearly localized and other parts were almost machine translated. There's one area called Crevice of the Archeozoic Era but on the map screen it's called Archeozoic Big Hole which is a literal translation. The pessimist in me thinks they wanted to get this out before the end of the fiscal year and they were working on properly localizing it all along.

I love the name Archeozoic Big Hole tbh

Stexils
Jun 5, 2008

archaeozoic big hole is what i call my mouth

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I finally beat FTL

Its a pretty good game.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

:yeah: if u cry every time

Internet Kraken posted:

I finally beat FTL

poo poo man i beat it on normal once to say i could and then i only ever played on easy thereafter

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
the real highlight of ys 8 is "my name is alison, but you can call me alison"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

The Colonel posted:

the real highlight of ys 8 is "my name is alison, but you can call me alison"

he's a medical student.

which is to say, a student who studies medicine!

• Locked thread