Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

botany posted:

he's rich and white. entitlement is the drug you're looking for, i'm pretty sure.

and tge fact he shrugged off a taser

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Maybe it's possible that both prongs of the taser didn't stick and he was just reacting to having one of them hit him?

Also, does anyone have any more info on that video? Where's it from, who the cop is, who the suspect is, etc?

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

and tge fact he shrugged off a taser

Wasn't there a goon a few years back that shrugged off multiple taser darts?

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

You can hit pretty much dead on with a taser and sometimes it still won't be enough to bring a guy down, that's considering them landing cleanly and not getting tangled up in a guy's shirt or something either. Tasers as they are can really suck rear end and be a crapshoot at times, it'd probably be great if they took some of that local PD AR and armored truck money and used it to work on some better non-lethal ("Less-than-lethal" to preempt pedantry) designs instead.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

Yardbomb posted:

("Less-than-lethal" to preempt pedantry)

Less Lethal. It's not pedantry, people die from these things.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

Pedantry as in people already know, getting beanbagged in the wrong bit can kill you, idiots lighting someone up either too long or just in unfortunate enough circumstances (Pacemaker etc.) can kill you and to attempt warding off someone like DR tumbling in like a dumbass to try and drag down a discussion in details.

Yardbomb fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Oct 10, 2017

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Oh my god

LeJackal
Apr 5, 2011

Jaxyon posted:

Less Lethal. It's not pedantry, people die from these things.

No, they die from 'excited delirium' which is totally coincidental and has nothing to do with TASER INTERNATIONAL.

The police using them for compliance are equally nonliable for those deaths. It's all on the criminal, the dastardly villain, purposefully taking their own life to cast suspicion on our brave boys in blue and patriotic multinational corps.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

im not sure you could find a better example of white privilege.

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

The manger babies don't have feelings. You said it yourself.
Also it's important to remember that "rubber bullets" are steel balls with a rubber coating, not a chunk of solid rubber.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

Instant Sunrise posted:

Also it's important to remember that "rubber bullets" are steel balls with a rubber coating, not a chunk of solid rubber.

Wouldn't like, a shotgun slug made of solid rubber sting like gently caress?

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Yes.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

If you gently caress up, you can stop a heart, bust the femoral or carotid arteries, and bruise the brain with rubber bullets.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Gort posted:

Wouldn't like, a shotgun slug made of solid rubber sting like gently caress?

I feel like "sting" would be a bit of an understatement there.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Instant Sunrise posted:

The proper method for deployment of riot rounds in SMGs was to shoot at the ground and have the rounds ricochet up.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Ytlaya posted:

I feel like "sting" would be a bit of an understatement there.

So why the gently caress put a steel ball in the middle of it? You'll already gently caress people up, why risk killing people when you could just load lethal rounds if that's your intent? Just plausible deniability?

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Gort posted:

So why the gently caress put a steel ball in the middle of it? You'll already gently caress people up, why risk killing people when you could just load lethal rounds if that's your intent? Just plausible deniability?

It's also why it's called "less than lethal" instead of "nonlethal" now. Can't hold them responsible for the nonzero chance they end up killing someone with their less than lethal weapons.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

All of that making the case even better for "Stop loading up cops with army toys and fix the non/less/less-than-lethal options"

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Gort posted:

Even a pure rubber round will still kill someone if used incorrectly. And that caveat at the end there is exactly why it's so important to emphasize "less lethal" - because if the people using them get too used to treating them as non-lethal, they tend to play fast and loose with the rules because they think the worst that'll happen is someone gets hurt a little worst than usual. If the rules aren't strictly enforced and public outcry doesn't result, then that kind of abuse worsens and becomes routine, and the next thing you know officers are shooting kids in the face at close range and acting all surprised when they end up maimed or killed by the "non-lethal" bullet.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

All this said, it seems like I most often hear of nasty injuries caused by tear gas canisters smacking people in the face.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Party Plane Jones posted:

The proper method for deployment of riot rounds in SMGs was to shoot at the ground and have the rounds ricochet up.

Why wouldn't the manufacturer not simply use less gunpowder?

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Mister Facetious posted:

Why wouldn't the manufacturer not simply use less gunpowder?

That's for a full auto Thompson so you probably need a minimum amount of powder in each bullet to keep the action firing reliably. Hit a dud and things will stick.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Stereotype posted:

And that cop should be fired. Gross incompetence.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

yowza

Bueno Papi
May 10, 2009

Party Plane Jones posted:

Used to be SOP in Nevada for correctional officers to use bird shot in similar fashion. Yes, it killed people.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

Stereotype posted:

There was a video posted here maybe a month or two ago showing some open carry fanatics walking into a police station wearing balaclavas and carrying assault rifles. This one is pretty egregious, but that one set the standard for me.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

There was a video posted here maybe a month or two ago showing some open carry fanatics walking into a police station wearing balaclavas and carrying assault rifles. This one is pretty egregious, but that one set the standard for me.

Not sure why that was a problem because open carry is clearly not a threat.

Furthermore

fritzgryphon
Jul 15, 2017

by Lowtax
it was cold outside.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

Didn't they get a bunch of police guns pointed at them first? But yeah, they walked right on out of there.

https://twitter.com/illegalhex/status/917504192985608195

Enigma89
Jan 2, 2007

by CVG
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VWsDHA0VYFc

Just leaving this here. Curious of reactions. The guy in the video runs L2 Research and is also a professor at Stern (NYU).

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Gort posted:

All this said, it seems like I most often hear of nasty injuries caused by tear gas canisters smacking people in the face.

how about the flash bang that landed in a baby crib

Calibanibal
Aug 25, 2015

FuturePastNow posted:

how about the flash bang that landed in a baby crib

or did the baby land in the flashbang basket?

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

obama's pretending he had no idea that weinstein was a rapist

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Condiv posted:

He implies no such thing. He only says that he finds Weinstein's behavior disgusting.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

business hammocks posted:

He implies no such thing. He only says that he finds Weinstein's behavior disgusting.

he says that weinstein should be condemned and held accountable regardless of wealth and status. if he knew such things were happening then his statement is hollow, as he had quite the chance, as potus, to condemn weinstein and hold him accountable, but chose to remain silent. therefore, yes, he is in fact implying he was unaware

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Condiv posted:

he says that weinstein should be condemned and held accountable regardless of wealth and status. if he knew such things were happening then his statement is hollow, as he had quite the chance, as potus, to condemn weinstein and hold him accountable, but chose to remain silent. therefore, yes, he is in fact implying he was unaware

He says that "any man who degrades women in such fashion" should be condemned. I guess he's saying that he believes the charges are true, though. That's more directness than I would expect from Obama.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

business hammocks posted:

He says that "any man who degrades women in such fashion" should be condemned. I guess he's saying that he believes the charges are true, though. That's more directness than I would expect from Obama.

While it's clearly about Weinstein. Any man can also apply to Trump on this issue.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

Condiv posted:

Why would he have known though?

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

Condiv posted:

Pass that buck a bit harder Barry. While keeping all the ones Big Harv gave you nice and hidden, of course.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Stereotype posted:

Why would he have known though?

"Because he's black. Or Muslim. A commie? Something, I just know it and I don't know why."

:foxnews:

• Locked thread