Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

You keep talking and all I keep hearing is "death to capitalism, death to capitalism, death to capitalism". I agree.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Terrible Opinions posted:

You keep talking and all I keep hearing is "death to capitalism, death to capitalism, death to capitalism". I agree.

Well that would be the TLDR; version. :v:

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Terrible Opinions posted:

:hai:

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

nine-gear crow posted:

In Square's case a lot of their production issues stemmed from the fact that after they lost a lot of their old guard producers over the course of the PS2 era, their experiments with "new blood" producers turned out to largely be failures because when push came to shove, the likes of Motomu Toriyama, Testsuya Nomura, and Hajime Tabata just didn't know how to helm large-scale productions competently. (I'm including Tabata in there because while he may have been "the man who saved Final Fantasy XV", he did so just barely, meanwhile Final Fantasy Type-0--his demo reel for taking over XV--is a goddamn mess in its own right).

To this day I'm astounded that Testuya Nomura hasn't been fired from Square yet for his gently caress ups. Kingdom Hearts I and II must have earned him an ungodly amount of good will with SE corporate, because after Dirge of Cerberus and the production disasters of Final Fantasy XV and Kingdom Hearts III, he should have been shown the door, not the director's chair for the Final Fantasy VII Remake. Which--surprise!--is also shaping up to be a production disaster under Nomura's "leadership" that Square's CEO himself flat out said probably wouldn't be done until late 2020. Oh I'm sorry, Episode 1 of which wouldn't be done until 2020.

Producer comes into the room, ready to fire Nomura

Producer comes out, butterfly in his eyes, convinced of Nomura's amazing vision.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

MonsieurChoc posted:

Producer comes out, butterfly in his eyes, convinced of Nomura's amazing vision.

For what it's worth, I'm not going to lie; I actually want to see what Nomura's big budget Les Miserables-style musical incarnation of Final Fantasy XV would have been like. There's an alternate universe out there where that insane idea came to fruition and it was either the best video game of all time, or it rightly destroyed Square Enix permanently and I'll forever resent that I'm stuck in one of the realities where it didn't happen.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Hey, since you're all talking about video games, what's the issue with Extra Credits? I remember seeing someone say they were shut and I haven't watched them.in a while so I dunno if things got worse.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

RareAcumen posted:

Hey, since you're all talking about video games, what's the issue with Extra Credits? I remember seeing someone say they were shut and I haven't watched them.in a while so I dunno if things got worse.

They are just a bit too short/ not in depth enough for a lot of people. The history things are a bit short too but they are kind of good intros.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

RareAcumen posted:

they're fine if you're not big into games and don't really read articles or watch other youtube channels that talk about games

but if you expand your horizons a bit and start watching, like, SuperBunnyHop, who goes a little more indepth, and little more detailed in his observations, uses specfic games for his videos, and cites his sources and has his own opinions and just so happened to have released a new video talking about retro gaming in East Germany, and suddenly the newest Extra Credits video on power fantasies isn't nearly as interesting

really you won't notice any problems with any given video, but the more you watch the more you realize, wow, these guys love being as vague and "unobjective" as possible. near the end of that video they name drop a bunch of games that are critical of the idea of power fantasies in games, but stop there, so hey if you've never played Battlefield 1 then good luck knowing what the hell he's talking about, or if Witcher 3 is a bit of a blur since it's 200 hours long and you can't think of the scenario they're referring to, welp, too bad, just take their word for it that it's in there. that's more or less my personal pet peeve with them, they love building hypothetical ideas or scenarios that could happen in games, but almost never use one from an actual game, to the point where when referencing specific games they strip the example or any context or meaning to just say "look, you do this in this game! moving on". it comes across like they're reaching to make a point without actually engaging with the point they're making.

their history series is a lot better if only because they can't do that vague poo poo, there are specific dates and names involved in explaining what happened. it's very much baby's first history lesson but it works for what it is

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

I kind of got that on the video where he talks anout the weird concentration camp escape game and paints the backlash as being this revolted angry group when the real response was "lol look at this lovely edgelord johnny vasquez wannabe poo poo, get outta here" and on the video where they talk the cartel juarez fame and they make the most naive and charitable take on how that game turned out to look like something from The Turner Diaries.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.
Extra Credits is a chipmunk man going 'hey, here's an interesting topic' and ending the video right after the introduction of what he's actually supposed to talk about.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

The videos where Dan(?) talks about animation and such are really good though.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?
Extra Credits is like a general-public Op-Ed series rather than a persuasive essay. As long as you're coming at it with the right expectations, it's fine as an entry-level to media theory.

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

It's like Crash Course! But narrated by Yakko Warner.

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Everything you guys like is entry level lol

Baka-nin
Jan 25, 2015

A Gnarlacious Bro posted:

Everything you guys like is entry level lol

Bravest of Lamps Alt, spotted.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Default Brain: watching Extra Credits
Deluxe Brain: watching Crash Course
Limited Edition Brain: watching Hbomb talk about Fallout
Mega Brain: watching Hbomb talk about McLuhan
Super Brain: reading McLuhan
Planet Brain: reading Debord
Star Brain: watching Can Dialectics Break Bricks?
Solar System Brain: reading Derrida in English
Galaxy Brain: reading Derrida in French
Universe Brain: reading Derrida memes

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Baka-nin posted:

Bravest of Lamps Alt, spotted.

No! Sorry i'm just bitchy today

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

MonsieurChoc posted:

I just assume he pulls out a locked box from his desk drawer and reminds the Producer that he has a photo of them with someone, or something, they generally should not be sexually interfering with.

"Just fork over the money into Kingdom Hearts III, leave me alone to direct, and no-one needs to know about you and the goat...:toughguy:."

Trojan Kaiju
Feb 13, 2012

I Before E posted:

Default Brain: watching Extra Credits
Deluxe Brain: watching Crash Course
Limited Edition Brain: watching Hbomb talk about Fallout
Mega Brain: watching Hbomb talk about McLuhan
Super Brain: reading McLuhan
Planet Brain: reading Debord
Star Brain: watching Can Dialectics Break Bricks?
Solar System Brain: reading Derrida in English
Galaxy Brain: reading Derrida in French
Universe Brain: reading Derrida memes

Multiverse Brain: Referring to Derrida as "My Good Friend Derrida"

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

TODAY'S GONNA BE A GOOD MOTHERFUCKIN' DAY!!!

Kunster posted:

and on the video where they talk the cartel juarez fame and they make the most naive and charitable take on how that game turned out to look like something from The Turner Diaries.

It's still one of their harshest videos, and I also found an even more charitable take on it:

Habermann's LP of Call of Juarez: The Cartel on lparchive.org posted:

Mission Statement

Make no mistake: This game is an offensive, irredeemable pile of poo poo. Everything about the game, from the characters to the story, is laughably stupid, which is precisely why I've chosen to play through it. While some may react to the game's content with outrage and disgust, I react to it with hearty laughter. It tries so desperately to be edgy and exciting, I can't help but love it on some ironic level, like a bad movie that thinks of itself as fine art.

In my commentary, I will criticize the weak action and unimaginative set pieces. What I will NOT be doing is acting offended by the treatment of minorities in the game, or trying to feed you any bullshit about the game being inherently and intentionally racist: What we have here is a clear-cut case of a Polish developer doing their damndest to appeal to what they have been lead to believe is "The American Market," by taking cues from our own media and other popular video games.

Don't hate the devs: Hate the game.

-----

Examination of the game by Extra Credits. (WARNING: Very preachy, and may contain spoilers)

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

I still occasionally wonder what ever happened to Habermann after they vanished.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Yardbomb posted:

I still occasionally wonder what ever happened to Habermann after they vanished.

The dude continued to do LPs on his channel after leaving SA, then up and deleted it. I think he was supposed to transfer control of it to a friend but it fell through or something.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
I think he left because GBS was gross as poo poo so confirmed as better decision maker than anybody still here

Akett
Aug 6, 2012

nine-gear crow posted:

To this day I'm astounded that Testuya Nomura hasn't been fired from Square yet for his gently caress ups. Kingdom Hearts I and II must have earned him an ungodly amount of good will with SE corporate, because after Dirge of Cerberus and the production disasters of Final Fantasy XV and Kingdom Hearts III, he should have been shown the door, not the director's chair for the Final Fantasy VII Remake. Which--surprise!--is also shaping up to be a production disaster under Nomura's "leadership" that Square's CEO himself flat out said probably wouldn't be done until late 2020. Oh I'm sorry, Episode 1 of which wouldn't be done until 2020.

I still love how at one point Nomura said that very early on in the production of the FFVII remake there was a period, I forget if it was days or weeks, where he didn't know he was the director. People would come up to him and ask him questions about it and he would answer them but he didn't know why there were so many people asking him these questions. So like yeah, he's nuts for everything to do with FFXV with all the repeated times he threw everything away on a whim, but on the other hand since like 2006 or so he's been the director of two AAA games simultaneously, he's directed nine smaller Kingdom Hearts titles, he's been creative producer on a dozen other games, and I'm kind of noticing that he keeps getting more things put on his plate and there doesn't seem to be anyone saying maybe he should just focus on the big projects. Or perhaps narrow it to one big project.

Akett fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Oct 10, 2017

KayTee
May 5, 2012

Whachoodoin?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LMs7kR-IvIs

:ohdear: Stay safe Anime dude.

Ash Crimson
Apr 4, 2010

Alaois posted:

don't worry, the lovely eggman with the loser voice was just being racist for soulless, opportunistic money-making purposes, not because he's actually racist

"It's just a joke bro!"

This is the defence his followers are actually giving

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

Well having watched the video that sure didn't seem to be what it was like at all and satire is a thing that's existed for quite some time but hey ho, this bald guy who reviews records every day is obviously a Nazi

EDIT: I mean, the other biggest source of hip-hop reviews on the YT, Dead End Hip Hop made a video on the whole poo poo where half of them were utterly loving fuming at the thought of having to discuss this poo poo-piece and even entertain the idea of the guy being some alt-right mole but hey-ho, obviously the Fader is dead spot-on on everything and Fantano's next video might as well be reviewing 'Tomorrow Belongs to Me'

Kim Justice fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Oct 11, 2017

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

Kim Justice posted:

Satire is a thing that's existed for quite some time

Except for some mysterious reason this keeps on being the cover for the most lovely bigots we've got lately. :thunk:

See: The entirety of the "kekistan" morons, where it's totally just ~satirical~ that we're waving around a remodeled symbol of the nazis while ~satirically~ spouting neo-nazi taglines

Yardbomb fucked around with this message at 03:06 on Oct 11, 2017

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

Yardbomb posted:

Except for some mysterious reason this keeps on being the cover for the most lovely bigots we've got lately. :thunk:

The way it's laid out in the video it's pretty clearly satire. Like, so clearly. You couldn't mistake what he was doing for anything else but a satire that comes from a liberal point of view.

I mean I'm sure y'all actually just want him to be some loving Nazi (whatever that means in 2017) for whatever reason but he's not. He's quite obviously pretty drat left.

EDIT:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HPXHRX8Q2hs

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

Kim Justice posted:

Nazi (whatever that means in 2017)

The exact same thing it's ever meant, "skeptics" like Mouthy Buddha are literally making videos about THE JEWISH QUESTION or for a real treat "Was Hitler a BAD Person?" to applause from their viewerbase for gently caress's sake. There is an out and out nazi problem in 2017, so people are kind of getting less charitable to "It's satiiiiiiiiire" when that's the same excuse actual textbook nazis are using to skirt by and push/normalize their dogshit views.

Yardbomb fucked around with this message at 03:25 on Oct 11, 2017

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I feel like we are going to start hearing many, many more stories like this one.

https://twitter.com/thelindsayellis/status/917921899170148353

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

Yardbomb posted:

The exact same thing it's ever meant, "skeptics" like Mouthy Buddha are literally making videos about THE JEWISH QUESTION or for a real treat "Was Hitler a BAD Person?" to applause from their viewerbase for gently caress's sake. There is an out and out nazi problem in 2017, so people are kind of getting less charitable to "It's satiiiiiiiiire" when that's the same excuse actual textbook nazis are using to skirt by and push/normalize their dogshit views.

...Who is this person? I've never even heard of a Mouthy Buddha. It seems to be a fringe channel of some sort which spouts bullshit national type views, I certainly won't dispute that.

I mean, obviously people like this loving guy exist, I ain't denying that at all. They've always existed...I mean, there are probably other arseholes with 30K-odd subscriber counts who've been doing this poo poo for years, hence sites like the Stormer and the like. You can find folks like The Golden One who have an even bigger viewership. But in any case, I really don't think you're being at all fair to what Fantano was doing on his channel at all. One look at his social media or his own personal views in just about any capacity would clearly be enough to see that he is not some dog whistler for the alt-right - if anything, he's a left-wing guy who didn't much like Hillary (and to be fair that kinda makes sense...). The Fader piece was...well, not good. It was barely researched at all, came off like nothing but a targeted slam and honestly it's a shame that people take something like that at face value.

I also have to say that, the way the climate is now, poo poo is getting so muddied that the definition of Nazi is becoming less and less clearer...it's like the word is losing its power. It's tying itself in with the alt-right, whatever that may be...the poo poo started by Richard Spencer and company, for sure and rightly, but then others add a whole bunch of other things to the mix. It kind of says something when some of the biggest attempts made to define and then dissect the alt-right for what they are have been made by channels that are frequently considered "alt-right".

EDIT: Uuuggh, I swear...what is it with film people goddamn

Kim Justice fucked around with this message at 03:43 on Oct 11, 2017

DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

I think the "It's ironic/it's satire" defense of Fantano's meme videos are bad because although I don't think they are bad videos or racist, I don't think they are good satire, or perhaps satire at all. I'd call them "parody" but not "satire", not usually anyway. They are way too strange most of the time to make any political statement, which is a key element of good/real satire.

Another point: I truly believe that Fantano isn't racist of sexist or anything. I think he has a good mind for civil justice. He seems far more sincere in his social justice than his "centrist" contemporaries.

Yardbomb posted:

See: The entirety of the "kekistan" morons, where it's totally just ~satirical~ that we're waving around a remodeled symbol of the nazis while ~satirically~ spouting neo-nazi taglines

I think this is one time when Fantano let himself get tricked without realizing it. He tweeted something about Kekistan and I think he truly believed it was a joke without realizing that those Kek army shitstains are actually nazis trying to pass off their malevolence as "jokes".

I know I've yammered on about Fantano a lot but I believe people got the wrong idea about him so I just wanna say my piece.

FlamingLiberal posted:

I feel like we are going to start hearing many, many more stories like this one.

https://twitter.com/thelindsayellis/status/917921899170148353

This was really crushing. I don't know what to say. It's just so devastating.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

DoubleCakes posted:

I think this is one time when Fantano let himself get tricked without realizing it. He tweeted something about Kekistan and I think he truly believed it was a joke without realizing that those Kek army shitstains are actually nazis trying to pass off their malevolence as "jokes".

Yeah, and part of the problem is that it's basically impossible to keep up with everything so you aren't getting caught up in the cesspit. Like, if you've never heard of Kekistan, and saw a funny joke about them, your natural impulse is to share with other people. At which point, welp, now you've got people who do know what's going on assigning you to a side and condemning/welcoming you before you've even had a chance to realize what the gently caress is happening. And when you do, now you need to clarify. And actually assigning yourself to a side. And now you're in the cesspit, too, congrats.

The worst part of this whole internet war of ideologies is that jokes aren't just jokes now, some of them are landmines and you won't know it until you step on one.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

I'm sure the lengthy sit-down buddy-buddy podcasts chudtanthony cumtowno recorded with Sargon of Akkad were just to help get into character

i just looked at Dead End Hip Hop's youtube channel and lmao

quote:

No scripts. It's pure unfiltered hip hop conversations and album reviews. No politics. No BS. We Are The People.

NO POLITICS ALLOWED IN DISCUSSING THIS INTENSELY POLITICAL GENRE OF MUSIC

Alaois fucked around with this message at 06:25 on Oct 11, 2017

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I like how Kim Justice just regurgitates every Nazi talking point to muddle poo poo up.

Is he.........also satire? :ohdear:

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

CharlestheHammer posted:

I like how Kim Justice just regurgitates every Nazi talking point to muddle poo poo up.

she, you dickhead

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

CharlestheHammer posted:

Contra said it best; yes, you go crazy when you look into this poo poo long enough.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Nazis don’t care to make sense and in fact enjoy spinning you around in circles if you approach them with logic or good faith.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I hope Bennett's house doesn't burn down. Knowing the current streak of disaster warnings though, his house will survive only for Yellowstone to erupt and wipe out everything and put us under an ash cloud.

• Locked thread