Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Cobi Jones just said he's pissed off because everyone failed to execute. "All the players played on an average young below average level"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Polidoro
Jan 5, 2011

Huevo se dice argidia. Argidia!

Gigi Galli posted:

Yeah this is a better idea. Remind me if this forum still exists at that time.

when lowtax finishes selling stuff he finds laying out in his house he will pull the plug

Aggro
Apr 24, 2003

STRONG as an OX and TWICE as SMART
Jesus

loving

Christ

I hate this country

Reuben Sandwich
Jan 27, 2007

I for one look forward to heckling the USMNT's MLS players as to why they aren't in Russia next June.

Big Piece O Shit
Jan 30, 2006

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

Make the forum name The Bruce Arena again

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O0WC32Q13N0

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!
We should have been beaten worse, too. There were at least two penalties that weren't called against us.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

shirts and skins posted:

We should have been beaten worse, too. There were at least two penalties that weren't called against us.

That's the funniest part.

Also without Pulisic emerging as a star in the latter half of qualifying this team would be battling for the cellar with T&T.

Duncan Sperguson
Apr 21, 2010

Pisstian Poolibitch

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

I'm genuinely disgusted with the US setup. It's so shockingly bad and archaic.

The US can produce quality players, maybe not world class, but Champions League/Premier League level players.

Tactically and preperationally the US is so bizzarely far behind which makes no sense to me.

slave to my cravings
Mar 1, 2007

Got my mind on doritos and doritos on my mind.
Oh well more time to focus on making MLS an even better league

chaoslord
Jan 28, 2009

Nature Abhors A Vacuum

The US being eliminated in part to a ghost goal by Panama is just amazing

FartingBedpost
Aug 24, 2015

lol sweet, now I don’t have to bother watching the US suck up the World Cup.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

Shrapnig posted:

The US can produce quality players, maybe not world class, but Champions League/Premier League level players.

Tactically and preperationally the US is so bizzarely far behind which makes no sense to me.

There is an inverse relationship between the increasingly comfortable and middling MLS home base for US players (MLS) and the deeply unsatisfying quality of soccer we play.

Our best teams played on lovely, dirt clod filled football stadiums and actually didn't embarrass us

succ
Nov 11, 2016

by Cyrano4747
my poor dad went to bed immediately after the game sad as gently caress

thanks americuck national team

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I'm glad soccer is dead in America and I hope the MLS dies next year

slave to my cravings
Mar 1, 2007

Got my mind on doritos and doritos on my mind.
I hope jurgen klinsmann gets offered the job again

FartingBedpost
Aug 24, 2015

Feels Villeneuve posted:

Hell, same.

Marquis de Pyro
Sep 25, 2006

Evil Prevails
USA team is trash, but it's hilarious that this lovely confederation has these games on a non-existent TV channel and the world cup qualifier is determined by a goal that didn't come close to crossing the line

CONCACAF has got to be the biggest joke in sports

also Mexico losing to Honduras was karma for the USA not throwing the game last cycle to keep Mexico out of the world cup

Mean Bean Machine
May 9, 2008

Only when I breathe.
The USA loving sucks at football hahah have fun watching the big boys play on TV

FartingBedpost
Aug 24, 2015

Marquis de Pyro posted:

CONCACAF has got to be the biggest joke in sports

Close, it’s actually the USMNT.

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire

Feels Villeneuve posted:

I honestly think they'll have a financial meltdown from the lack of participation in the World Cup. I'm sure there's a chart that shows every World Cup year has a boost in mls attendance/viewership.

I bet there will be a quite a few mls players there though, at least in the group stage.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

XyrlocShammypants posted:

There is an inverse relationship between the increasingly comfortable and middling MLS home base for US players (MLS) and the deeply unsatisfying quality of soccer we play.

Our best teams played on lovely, dirt clod filled football stadiums and actually didn't embarrass us

MLS is part of the problem. Michael Bradley is part of the problem. A player who is playing in one of the best leagues in the world decides he'd rather make more money playing in a garbage league when he's 25 loving years old is such a depressing prospect.

Bradley's decision to leave Italy to come back to MLS was so disappointing, and he's regressed as a player since he's been back in MLS.

Marquis de Pyro
Sep 25, 2006

Evil Prevails

FartingBedpost posted:

Close, it’s actually the USMNT.

Yes, but USMNT is part of CONCACAF. They are already included in CONCACAF's joke. A big part of it. The biggest really.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Gigi Galli posted:

I honestly think they'll have a financial meltdown from the lack of participation in the World Cup. I'm sure there's a chart that shows every World Cup year has a boost in mls attendance/viewership.

I bet there will be a quite a few mls players there though, at least in the group stage.

I'm going to be looking at photos of LAFC and whatever other hellhole expansion team they have planned playing in empty stadiums and lolling.

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!
Mood https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yInw8LyWTN8

Marquis de Pyro
Sep 25, 2006

Evil Prevails
At the end of the day the US is never going to be good at soccer because no one cares aboutit. Maybe if concussions and taking a knee kills the NFL things will change, but until then we're just North Mexico. A team that never wins anything but has too high opinion of itself.

Except worse, because at least the real Mexico snuck into the world cup when they played like complete poo poo for 3 years straight

Reprisal
Jul 20, 2001
there goes TRP's World Cup summer bounce

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Feels Villeneuve posted:

I'm going to be looking at photos of LAFC and whatever other hellhole expansion team they have planned playing in empty stadiums and lolling.

Just look up images of my best team, the Red Bulls to see images of empty MLS stadiums.

TwoStepBoog
Apr 12, 2008

E; quoted the wrong loving hot take

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Gigi Galli posted:

also the entire league is an unsustainable ponzi scheme and it only needs a single hit like this to knock the whole thing over. i'm extremely giddy

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Reprisal posted:

there goes TRP's World Cup summer bounce

Maybe that will be the death knell for these dead gay forums.

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

Feels Villeneuve posted:

You can do this now lol

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010
Ignore my doomerism, I don't think better things are possible

Shrapnig posted:

We can't produce CL or PL players with our current setup/culture. Bottom of the barrel CL players are making their debuts for their club's first team when our players are facing high school opposition and thinking about prom.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Marquis de Pyro posted:

At the end of the day the US is never going to be good at soccer because no one cares aboutit. Maybe if concussions and taking a knee kills the NFL things will change, but until then we're just North Mexico. A team that never wins anything but has too high opinion of itself.

Except worse, because at least the real Mexico snuck into the world cup when they played like complete poo poo for 3 years straight

Soccer in the US could have worked but got hijacked into a ponzi scheme for billionaires bribing cities into building useless "soccer-specifc" stadiums with public money because of Don "the shitman" Garber. He must die.

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack

Feels Villeneuve posted:

also the entire league is an unsustainable ponzi scheme and it only needs a single hit like this to knock the whole thing over. i'm extremely giddy

Same

FartingBedpost
Aug 24, 2015

Marquis de Pyro posted:

I mean, we might never be consistently better than Mexico, but we have enough decent players to be 2nd or 3rd in CONCACAF every four years, no matter the popularity of the sport.

E. Should have enough decent players.

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

Feels Villeneuve posted:

That's what I'm getting at, this collapse is going to kill the league if they don't limit the number of teams somehow and lol if they're gonna do that.

Shrapnig posted:

Maybe that will be the death knell for these dead gay forums.

Inshallah

Reprisal
Jul 20, 2001
i feel bad for Pulisic. kid has every right to read the riot act to everyone in the dressing room, including the coach.

they should make him player-manager-director and just let him run the show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
The US must have Don Garber murdered if soccer will succeed here. I am not joking, he must go.

• Locked thread