Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik

this is some good poo poo. the new cars look like a hilarious rocketship to drive, chuck it into the corner, hope the aero holds, and get on the gas as soon as you can.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Those rears look so much bigger exposed like that.

I can't wait for iRacing to update the car. Moreover I sincerely hope they do.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
lol that rear end looks like from a 1984 indycar or some poo poo, that kicks rear end

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari
What even was the point of thoe atrocious bumpers? For ovals?

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Wirth1000 posted:

What even was the point of thoe atrocious bumpers? For ovals?

I think the idea was to reduce the risk of cars flipping over after launching over a rear wheel but it didn't work.

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Respect the power of the wind
Part of it also was to reduce the aero wake off the exposed rear tires, making the cars less draggy. (Think Delta Wing.) Except that they turned that feature into more downforce, making the cars throw off more dirty air and making close racing at speed impossible. (See Phoenix 2017.)

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Didn't also have some really weird effects if a trailing car got too close beyond the dirty air?

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Feels Villeneuve posted:

lol that rear end looks like from a 1984 indycar or some poo poo, that kicks rear end

It sorta reminds me of the Marches of the period, with the massive high-DF rear wings.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
The March 86c’s rear RC Wing has got to be one of the largest ever installed on any type of open wheel car.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

https://twitter.com/A_S12/status/918159746695385089

(thanks Bentai)

Human Grand Prix posted:

The March 86c’s rear RC Wing has got to be one of the largest ever installed on any type of open wheel car.

Checks out.

iospace fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Oct 11, 2017

KingShibby
Jan 30, 2004

Wherever you go, whatever you do, I will be right here waiting for you...

Yams Fan
It looks like the 2018 schedule will be released tomorrow as there's a press conference with Mark Miles & Graham Rahal tomorrow afternoon to discuss the schedule

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari
What ever happened to that FuzzySkinner guy?

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

Wirth1000 posted:

What ever happened to that FuzzySkinner guy?

Don't Think It Don't Say It

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

2018 schedule being released today. Indy Star is reporting that Watkins Glen is out, and Portland is in.

https://www.indystar.com/story/sports/motor/2017/10/12/road-course-race-portland-replace-watkins-glen-2018-indycar-calendar/756834001/

The only question left is if Mexico is in or out.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

I AM GOING TO PORTLAND FOR THIS MOTHER FUCKIN RACE HELL YEAH

KingShibby
Jan 30, 2004

Yams Fan

financially racist posted:

I AM GOING TO PORTLAND FOR THIS MOTHER FUCKIN RACE HELL YEAH

I just booked my travel today for Long Beach next year (super dirt cheap) and once my schedule blue balls get relieved in a couple hours I'll start planning my trip to Portland next year :getin:

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

KingShibby posted:

I just booked my travel today for Long Beach next year (super dirt cheap) and once my schedule blue balls get relieved in a couple hours I'll start planning my trip to Portland next year :getin:

Sup Long Beach buddy :hfive:

KingShibby
Jan 30, 2004

Yams Fan
:siren: Schedule is out :siren:

No Mexico, Portland taking Watkins Glen weekend on Labor Day

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

I think the earthquake probably is what ended any chance of it :smith:

Oh well.

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari
Brendan Hartley may not end up in IndyCar after all. He was apparently super close to signing with Ganassi but now Toro Rosso want him to do the USGP and they're looking to sign him up full time for next season.

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

iospace posted:

Oh well.
Everyone needs to go outside and angrily scream at the first rock or patch of dirt you find.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

iospace posted:

Oh well.

can't wait for the cascadia quake to force the portland race to be cancelled

and also to kill me

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

I reupped my LB tix and if camping is reasonable at Portland, I'll take that roadtrip. I want to do Indy but I'm bad at planning in advance.

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

quote:

Although not mentioned in IndyCar's press release, it is believed a provisional date is being held in March for IndyCar to race at the Autodromo Hermanos Rodriguez, Mexico City, another venue that last saw topline U.S. open-wheel in 2007. Both the horrendous recent earthquake in the area, and the compressed amount of time to promote the race, are thought to be contributing factors in the deal not yet being completed.

Another possible date for Mexico City's inclusion would be August, making it a direct replacement for the World Endurance Championship: Autodromo Hermanos Rodriguez does not appear on the 2018 WEC schedule.

https://www.motorsport.com/indycar/news/2018-indycar-schedule-portland-on-the-glen-gone-mexico-provisional-964550/

We might yet get Mexico added.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

https://twitter.com/SpencerPigot/status/917855479849803779

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

This is for the kink at Road America? From flat in sixth to pedaling it in fourth?

Nice.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

IOwnCalculus posted:

This is for the kink at Road America? From flat in sixth to pedaling it in fourth?

Nice.

He was talking the piss out of Joesf. If you watch the vid he keeps it in 6th the whole way through. Hard to tell if he's lifting or not though.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

:downs:

I was kinda hoping they'd managed to pull that much downforce out of it.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

IOwnCalculus posted:

:downs:

I was kinda hoping they'd managed to pull that much downforce out of it.

They could make them run the short oval setup they tested at Iowa :getin:

That would be cool though, like if you felt like you could take it, you could run without a top wing element at a road course.

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

the first world was a mistake

Happy to see Portland back, and I won't get too upset about losing the Glen until this time next year since it looks like both parties still want it on the schedule.

Now get a drat promoter/title sponsor for Cleveland.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Yaaaaay race back in Portland.

Boooo not able to fly back next year for it :mad: maybe in 2019. Sigh.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

"Hinchcliffe, Wickens pairing likely at SPM in 2018"

http://www.racer.com/indycar/item/145008-hinchcliffe-wickens-pairing-likely-at-spm-in-2018

oh hell yeah gals and lads

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

This is going to be the greatest Indycar season in post-unification history, isn't it?

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

:getin:

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

You know, May isn’t all that far away.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

2018 roster updated. Moved Hartley down to "potential driver", Hinch and Wickens up to likely but not officially confirmed for SPM.

iospace fucked around with this message at 06:19 on Oct 14, 2017

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

~200 days to May.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Bentai posted:

~200 days to May.

< 150 days to Saint Pete!

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

Just locked down the hotel for Phoenix. Waiting on ticket sales to open up. I need to also do something for freaking Long Beach, I really do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

We need a good ol' fashioned at Long Beach. This is the year. It is written in the stars and cars.

• Locked thread