Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)

achtungnight posted:

Trade Dagger for Sword, eat broth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

RudeCat posted:

Leave the blade.

Kangra posted:

leave the <foodstuff>.

Go hunt instead. You can't trust actors, especially if one of them maybe killed Captain D.
The rangers are still eating the food though, and they're all fine. So far.

The Chasm of Doom posted:

The show finally comes to an end, and you make the necessary preparations for a night’s sleep. At dawn the next day, you and your company bid farewell to the travelling players and continue on your way to Ruanon.

After journeying through the rich wheat fields of southern Sommerlund, the view that lies before you now looks especially bleak and colourless. The landscape is flat and desolate, only relieved here and there by a ragged copse of stunted firs or mound of broken earth. (You have entered the Wildlands south of the Pass of Moytura and cannot use the Kai Discipline of Hunting to hunt for food in this desolate area.) During the afternoon, storm clouds gather above the peaks of the Durncrag Mountains to the west, and the roll of distant thunder warns of imminent rain. It is early evening when your scouts find the ruins of an old temple, less than a mile from the highway.
Should we camp in the ruins or ride on through the night?

RudeCat
Aug 7, 2012

The rudest cat for the rudest jobs

Camp, no point in tiring out the horses and the ruins could be educational!

Kanthulhu
Apr 8, 2009
NO ONE SPOIL GAME OF THRONES FOR ME!

IF SOMEONE TELLS ME THAT OBERYN MARTELL AND THE MOUNTAIN DIE THIS SEASON, I'M GOING TO BE PISSED.

BUT NOT HALF AS PISSED AS I'D BE IF SOMEONE WERE TO SPOIL VARYS KILLING A LANISTER!!!

(Dany shits in a field)
Loot is known to be found inside old ruins so I say camp in the ruins and hope for the best.

nonrev
Jul 15, 2012

ride on

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It
Camp and eat.

Tiggum posted:

I didn't even know it existed. Is it any good?
My phone was having problems so I didn't get very far. It had nice artwork though.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Camp.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
I get my fun here. Enjoy!
Camp

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Jackard posted:

Camp and eat.
We don't need to eat just now, the book was just letting us know that Hunting won't work here for no reason. :shrug:

The ruins are overgrown with weeds and roots, but you can make out the shape of the inner sanctum of the temple quite distinctly. The huge marble canopy is still intact and will serve as an excellent shelter from the storm. As you tie your horse to a withered shrub, you glance up to see two men hiding beneath the canopy, dressed in long black robes. You order them to come out and identify themselves, but they neither move nor answer your call.

We could send some rangers to attack them, try to capture them alive, or put our weapons away and approach them in friendship.

Ratatozsk
Mar 6, 2007

Had we turned left instead, we may have encountered something like this...
Put away our weapons, we can always attack with our brain if things go south.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Approach in friendship.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
Approach the cultists.

(Because come on, black robes? Abandoned temple? Totally cultists.)

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
Redshirts, grab these guys!

Alive, preferably.

achtungnight fucked around with this message at 14:10 on Oct 10, 2017

RudeCat
Aug 7, 2012

Approach them. Let's see what's up.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Tiggum posted:

We don't need to eat just now, the book was just letting us know that Hunting won't work here for no reason. :shrug:

In each of Books 3-5, Dever was very clear that there would be some areas where Hunting wouldn't work. So then he had to back it up.

quote:

This skill ensures that a Kai Lord will never starve in the wild. He will always be able to hunt for food for himself except in areas of wasteland and desert. You are aware that the Wildlands south of the Pass of Moytura are a wasteland and that opportunities for successful hunting may not arise until you reach the Ruanon Forest. But this skill is still very useful for it also enables a Kai Lord to move with great speed and dexterity.

approach them in friendship, hiding our blades behind our backs for their sudden but inevitable betrayal.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Ratatozsk posted:

Put away our weapons, we can always attack with our brain if things go south.
If an enemy does get in a surprise round or two against us it'll be the closest thing to a fair fight we've seen in a long time.

As you approach they slip back their hoods to reveal two smiling faces. They seem relieved to have made friendly contact in the middle of this inhospitable wasteland. Neither of them speaks, but they remove amulets from around their necks and offer them as some kind of identification. The small wooden fish hanging on the neck-chains are symbols of a Holy Order known as ‘The Redeemers’, a silent order of pilgrims devoted to a lifetime of prayer and the study of the healing arts.

One of the pilgrims hands you a small earthenware Flask that contains a potion of Holy Water. If you wish to keep this Flask, mark it on your Action Chart as a Backpack Item.

Your men pitch camp beneath the marble canopy and preparations are made to get some sleep. You are hungry and must now eat a Meal or lose 3 ENDURANCE points.

Your rest is disturbed by the anxious shout of the night guard: ‘Awake! Awake! We’re under attack!’

Throwing back their blankets, your men leap to their feet, peering through the teeming rain at the shadowy silhouette of horsemen circling the ruins. Suddenly an arrow whistles through the darkness. Your lookout screams and falls to his knees. ‘Form a circle,’ you shout. ‘Keep behind cover!’

The rangers gather swords and shields and press themselves against the wet temple marble for protection. The sound of metal-shod boots on stone makes you spin around. A dozen warriors dressed in shiny red armour are clambering across the broken pillars. Two rangers run to block their advance, but they are felled by one sweep of the warrior leader’s broadsword. Then the warrior sees you and quickens his pace. His bloodied sword is raised to strike again. You cannot evade combat and must fight the warrior to the death.

Bandit Warrior: COMBAT SKILL 17 ENDURANCE 26

Lone Wolf: COMBAT SKILL 29 ENDURANCE 32
Bandit Warrior: COMBAT SKILL 17 ENDURANCE 26
Combat Ratio: 11+

We roll: 5
Lone Wolf: COMBAT SKILL 29 ENDURANCE 31
Bandit Warrior: COMBAT SKILL 17 ENDURANCE 12

We roll: 1
Lone Wolf: COMBAT SKILL 29 ENDURANCE 28
Bandit Warrior: COMBAT SKILL 17 ENDURANCE 3

We roll: 4
Lone Wolf: COMBAT SKILL 29 ENDURANCE 26
Bandit Warrior: COMBAT SKILL 17 ENDURANCE 0

All around you the ruins echo to the clash of weapons and the screech of battle-cries. These armour-clad horsemen are no ordinary bandit clan; they fight with a discipline and skill unheard of among the lowly outlaws of the Wildlands.

You step over the dead warrior and call about you a handful of your men. The enemy have surrounded your horses, and you must act quickly if you are to save them from being taken. You lead a charge through the ruins, piercing the enemy line. They falter and flee back into the darkness. However, by the time you have reached the temple perimeter, only eleven of your horses remain—the others have vanished.

After much thought, you decide to choose ten rangers to continue the mission with you, sending the remainder of your company back to Sommerlund to report what has happened. As the gloomy light of dawn gradually fills the sky, you and your chosen companions bid a sad farewell to those who must march back on foot.

Healing: +1 EP (27/32).

After many hours of riding you reach a highway junction. (You have left the Wildlands and may once again use the Kai Discipline of Hunting to hunt for your food.) A large signpost indicates two destinations: south to Ruanon (60 miles) and east to Eshnar (40 miles).

Healing: +1 EP (28/32).
Ruanon is the place we're supposed to be going. Eshnar is the place the troubadours said they recently came from. Which way will we go?

Rangers: 10
Missing: 0
Dead: 3
Sent home: 37

I chose to eat a meal from our backpack and take the flask of holy water, but you can vote on that now if you'd like to do otherwise (no Hunting though, remember) along with your choice of which direction to go.

We've actually done quite well so far. The real reason we sent those 37 men home is because, at this point in the book, it's possible to have up to 40 casualties, so if you end up with more than ten men still alive the book forces you to ditch the excess to keep things consistent in the next section.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Keep heading for Ruanon.

RudeCat
Aug 7, 2012

Ruanon is the place for me

Kangra
May 7, 2012

Ruanon rings like a bell in the night and wouldn't we love to go there. Will we ever win?

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

We have a mission, let's not get distracted.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Stay on track, Ruanon.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
Onward to our destination, Ruanon!

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

It is almost dark when you reach the edge of a densely forested valley. You can just make out the highway disappearing into the trees ahead and catch sight of a signpost pointing towards the south. You are now only forty miles from Ruanon, but your men are tired and in need of food and rest.

Healing: +1 EP (29/32).
Do we let the men rest? Let most of them rest but send a few out to scout for bandits? Or go without rest and keep moving?

Tiggum fucked around with this message at 01:57 on Oct 12, 2017

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Can't hurt to send out some scouts.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
Let the men rest. I have a feeling they’re going to need it.

RudeCat
Aug 7, 2012

Send out scouts, it pays to be careful.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

RudeCat posted:

Send out scouts, it pays to be careful.
OK.

You send three of your men into the valley with orders to scout the highway and its forested borders for bandits. Before the scouts leave, you remind them to report back within two hours.

You are hungry and catch yourself a Meal. In spite of their fatigue, your men are now alert and ready for action, for it has been over three hours since your scouts departed and not one of them has yet returned.

Healing: +1 EP (30/32).
Send three more scouts, wait till morning, or break camp and ride for Eshnar?

Rangers: 7
Missing: 3

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
Send 3 more Scouts.

That should leave us with the Pink, Yellow, Green, and Red Rangers- who are usually the most useful ones. Black, Blue, and White can go missing too.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Wait. Blundering around in the dark is just inviting further disaster.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It
Something must be up, don't send more scouts into the grinder. Wait until morning.

RudeCat
Aug 7, 2012

Wait. They'll come home when they're hungry, no point in being a helicopter-commander

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Send more people.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Ride out.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
Wait. If we are in an ambush, we should prepare ourself.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

achtungnight posted:

Send 3 more Scouts.
I love this decision.

the Caverns of Kalte posted:

As the first light of dawn breaks over the eastern horizon, you scan the mist-shrouded highway for any sign of life. None of your scouts have returned, and your remaining four men are visibly anxious. With marauding bandit hordes to the north, hostile mountains to the west and a two-day ride to the nearest town to the east, your choice of action is limited.

Healing: +1 EP (31/32).
We're going south into the valley. But do we take the highway or try to be sneaky and move through the forest?

Rangers: 4
Missing: 6

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
While going through the forest makes an ambush likely, traveling along the highway is too conspicuous.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Tiggum posted:

try to be sneaky and move through the forest?

This way - through the forest - we won't get ambushed from a distance, but in close combat where our Kai training can turn the tide!

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
If only we had a bow and the wish to use it, a long range combat might be our forté.

RudeCat
Aug 7, 2012

ulmont posted:

This way - through the forest - we won't get ambushed from a distance, but in close combat where our Kai training can turn the tide!

This makes a certain amount of sense, let's brave the forest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
The bandits are most likely in the forest. Let’s go say hi.