Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

Worklurker posted:

I want to see argent go against jadestar's dwarves

Jadestar has been stalking the youtube leaving rude messages on most of the let's play videos.

I don't really know him outside of reputation so I don't know if he's legitimately trying to rile me up or just being snarky.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CVE
Jan 27, 2012
As a a complete newbie in all of this, what exactly makes dorfs hitler?

If I remember correctly they run a slow moving and indestrucable cage up your field and you can't really fight it or is there something else?

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

Seven idiots and a bear walk into a dragon's lair.

CVE posted:

As a a complete newbie in all of this, what exactly makes dorfs hitler?

If I remember correctly they run a slow moving and indestrucable cage up your field and you can't really fight it or is there something else?

They're very slow, they have very high armor so they're hard to clear off the pitch with KOs and whatnot, they have thick skull so it's even harder (KOs reduced to stuns), and they all start with block I think? And they usually get guard on the first level up so they're hard to punch in the first place. They're just... very boring. They can't do any cool things. They just slowly grind their way down the pitch and nobody has any fun because they're not really hurting you but you're definitely not hurting them.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

A couple things, for me personally. Most goons will generally agree but I've found different people will give you different answers on exactly why dwarfs are megahitlers.

1. They're all av9 with thick skull, except the runner and trollslayers (which groggy pubs won't even take). This means that punching them generally does nothing, so even if you out manuever them you're going to have a hard time actually gaining a man advantage, which is really a problem because...

2. They tend to all stack up on each other because they're so drat slow. You don't get what happens with the lizards in the videos, where I have a few here and a few there, making plays across the pitch and trying to trade effectively. You have 11 dorfs all stacked up in a big puddle in something we'd call a mega bunker, which simply has so many men in it that you can't ever blitz the ball carrier because there are just too many people, who you can't ever remove from the pitch, creating a big immobile wall. This leads to...

3. They can't score in less than 8 turns (generally), they just make a big pile and move one square at a time down the pitch waiting for you to fail some blocks or dodges. Because they move in a big group and generally pile on guard, you're going to have a hard time punching them and even when you do punch them it's not going to DO anything.

So all this kinda combines into a dorf offense that is mostly 8 turns of slowly punching and not moving much, often not even moving 1 square a turn. Then the half ends and the dorfs don't score, because they're slow and boring. Playing offense vs dorfs is much the same except because they're so slow they can't stack up against you, or you just run around them. So they spread out which makes them easy to punch which means you just score against them and go back to playing defense vs dorfs.

So basically every single dorf game you will win 1:0 and have no fun at any point because 80% of it is playing defense vs a team that doesn't move, doesn't react to getting punched, and can't make any meaningful progress on the pitch.

Gantolandon
Aug 19, 2012

Dwarves are very good at punching. They don't get Claws but most of them start with Block. Troll Slayers also have Dauntless which lets them attack much stronger units as if they were weaker than them. Their big guy is a loving roller which exists solely to injure as much players as possible before being sent off. All of them also have very high Armor and some skill that reduces their injury roll. Their biggest problem is not being able to handle the ball very well - they are slow and have low Agility.

All this makes them popular among people who get their fun by ruining yours. If a dwarf player decides to ignore the match and kill your team, there is not much you can do to prevent that. With Chaos you can at least punch them back, dwarves are very damage-resistant. There is nothing more infuriating than seeing the enemy thrower hiding with the ball in the opposite corner of the pitch and the rest of their players proceeding to block, surf and pile on yours.

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves
Goonbowl should be an anything goes grogfest cause thats what its for.

Picking a team for the length of the tourney is part of that groggyness. Dwarf is a reasonable choice if you can make it work.

E: it should be mentioned that my experience playing with or as dwarves is exactly 0 becaude I started BB with goons and as a rule goons don't let dwarves play.

Second opinion: ignore goonbowl play randskills

Gridlocked fucked around with this message at 02:25 on Oct 9, 2017

Antlerhill
Nov 6, 2012

Smellrose
Dwarves don't usually make the play-offs anyway, so banning them won't have much effect on the actually competitive teams. Having said that, having to play dwarves might dissuade some people from registering stunty teams, which would be a shame.

give the skink Strip Ball and the krox Grab

Gaghskull
Dec 25, 2010

Bearforce1

Boys! Boys! Boys!

Gridlocked posted:

Goonbowl should be an anything goes grogfest cause thats what its for.

Picking a team for the length of the tourney is part of that groggyness. Dwarf is a reasonable choice if you can make it work.

E: it should be mentioned that my experience playing with or as dwarves is exactly 0 becaude I started BB with goons and as a rule goons don't let dwarves play.

Second opinion: ignore goonbowl play randskills

Don't worry. We'll have random skill league too. Which may be even more fun than Goonbowl. Maximum chaos, maximum randomness. No choosing of skills, or teams. LET NUFFLE DECIDE.

Random Hajile
Aug 25, 2003

Agent355 posted:

A couple things, for me personally. Most goons will generally agree but I've found different people will give you different answers on exactly why dwarfs are megahitlers.

1. They're all av9 with thick skull, except the runner and trollslayers (which groggy pubs won't even take). This means that punching them generally does nothing, so even if you out manuever them you're going to have a hard time actually gaining a man advantage, which is really a problem because...

2. They tend to all stack up on each other because they're so drat slow. You don't get what happens with the lizards in the videos, where I have a few here and a few there, making plays across the pitch and trying to trade effectively. You have 11 dorfs all stacked up in a big puddle in something we'd call a mega bunker, which simply has so many men in it that you can't ever blitz the ball carrier because there are just too many people, who you can't ever remove from the pitch, creating a big immobile wall. This leads to...

3. They can't score in less than 8 turns (generally), they just make a big pile and move one square at a time down the pitch waiting for you to fail some blocks or dodges. Because they move in a big group and generally pile on guard, you're going to have a hard time punching them and even when you do punch them it's not going to DO anything.

So all this kinda combines into a dorf offense that is mostly 8 turns of slowly punching and not moving much, often not even moving 1 square a turn. Then the half ends and the dorfs don't score, because they're slow and boring. Playing offense vs dorfs is much the same except because they're so slow they can't stack up against you, or you just run around them. So they spread out which makes them easy to punch which means you just score against them and go back to playing defense vs dorfs.

So basically every single dorf game you will win 1:0 and have no fun at any point because 80% of it is playing defense vs a team that doesn't move, doesn't react to getting punched, and can't make any meaningful progress on the pitch.

4. Dwarf linemen come with Block and Tackle, which means the team starts out as a hard counter to a couple of the more crazy funhaver teams (and also Amazons, but it's not like there's a shitload of zon teams around to be countered). Simply by entering a league, they discourage teams that are goofy fun to play against from existing.

Random Hajile fucked around with this message at 17:03 on Oct 9, 2017

megane
Jun 20, 2008

Random Hajile posted:

4. Dwarf linemen come with Block and Tackle, which means the team starts out as a hard counter to a couple of the more crazy funhaver teams (and also Amazons, but it's not like there's a shitload of zon teams around to be countered). Simply by entering a league, they discourage teams that are goofy fun to play against from existing.

Pretty useful if you need to suspend a crate or something above the ground though.

Pea
Nov 25, 2005
Friendly neighbourhood vegetable
Any good Skunt Punch should immediately be followed up by a Skunt Grab. :smugdon:
Papa G.: Tackle
Fleetfoot Mac: Block
Human Cheerleaders
Money for the Stadium
Dwarves allowed for all

PotatoManJack
Nov 9, 2009
No Dwarves Ever

Or if you must play dwarves, just concede turn 1 and call it done.

namad
Nov 7, 2013
Switch to two episodes per week please? /beg

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!
Dwarves are an interesting team to play in a league as the goal is to actually win the game. There's no reason to ban them, playing dwarves is it's own punishment.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

Game 8 - Dark Elves

Playing against uPen this time. Delfs are a tough match up for lizards, things with 4 agility don't deserve 8 armor.

Agent355 fucked around with this message at 05:50 on Oct 11, 2017

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Agent355 posted:

Game 8 - Dark Elves

Playing against uPen this time. Delfs are a tough match up for lizards, things with 4 agility don't deserve 8 armor.

There seems to be no commentary?

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

Yeah you may have uploaded the wrong version, this is just raw video.

namad
Nov 7, 2013
It has the in-game sounds. Definitely no commentary at all though.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

Blech, I'll fix it. It'll take awhile tho

E: Okay, the right video is definitely uploading this time. I probably just did a dumb and uploaded the non-muxed version. I put the correct link back and published the video, so it will be available as soon as it's done processing, but I can go to bed in the meantime.

Agent355 fucked around with this message at 05:51 on Oct 11, 2017

namad
Nov 7, 2013
This match up was very interesting for me (maybe because saur-ball is over). Although now that we're at a higher TV is it maybe worth spending a small amount of time each video discussing the enemy team's levelups? now that each enemy team has a dozen or more level ups, and some of the enemy level up's are more exotic than just block/dodge.

Or am I just a n00b who needs to get better at learning those icons myself by pausing and googling it? (note I actually did google all the ones in this match so I don't need them explained, just wondering for the future.)

Bootcha
Nov 13, 2012

Truly, the pinnacle of goaltending
Grimey Drawer

namad posted:

now that each enemy team has a dozen or more level ups, and some of the enemy level up's are more exotic than just block/dodge.

Exoticness tends to either go to one player or is a dedicated team gimmick. Usually tourneys don't allow much time for making a gimmick dude for funhaving, and open leagues are about managing TV juuuuuuust enough to make the most of your abilities.

The weirder skills tend to be reserved for Underworld due to normal roll mutation access and player roles. Blodge is always useful on any piece, CLAWPOMB is a useful blitzer, wrestle/tackle/stripball is a useful stunty. 3/3 Linos are usually there to be punched, offer assists, and foul, not bloat TV.

The exotic skills like Pass Block, Kickoff Return, Shadowing, Diving Catch, Hail Mary Pass, and Multi-Block are very niche, exceedingly circumstantial, and unreliable. Remember this is mostly a game about punching dudes in the face and hurting them, unless you're playing elf-ball in which case it's about scoring, minimizing how often you punched in the face, and weeping every time your 3 level wardancer gets perma'd. Wackier stuff is usually reserved for gimmick leagues.

Rorahusky
Nov 12, 2012

Transform and waaauuuugh out!
Man 355, you really need to buy some real spikes for your armor instead of those fake styrofoam spikes you're using, because you just can't get a cas for love or money.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

namad posted:

This match up was very interesting for me (maybe because saur-ball is over). Although now that we're at a higher TV is it maybe worth spending a small amount of time each video discussing the enemy team's levelups? now that each enemy team has a dozen or more level ups, and some of the enemy level up's are more exotic than just block/dodge.

Or am I just a n00b who needs to get better at learning those icons myself by pausing and googling it? (note I actually did google all the ones in this match so I don't need them explained, just wondering for the future.)

I'd like to but the videos are already over an hour long and it's not like there is a bunch of dead air to fill. I think block/dodge should be recognizable at a glance but I'll try to make sure to point out skills when they're relevant to the current turn.

Rorahusky posted:

Man 355, you really need to buy some real spikes for your armor instead of those fake styrofoam spikes you're using, because you just can't get a cas for love or money.

:negative:

Agent355 fucked around with this message at 15:33 on Oct 11, 2017

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!

namad posted:

I think Agent did a good job and covered all the skills that came into play. Maybe it's more an issue of the icons being hard to identify?

Here's an icon cheat-sheet you could use in the future if that helps. It's missing a few icons. I couldn't find a more comprehensive one.

Attack on Princess fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Oct 11, 2017

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

namad posted:

This match up was very interesting for me (maybe because saur-ball is over).

Only because 'all voted against +ag saurus.

Just imagine guys, if you had picked that there was about a 1/4 chance of getting an agi3 saurus.

e:
vvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvv
:ssh: stop showing I was fudging the numbers.

FoolyCharged fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Oct 11, 2017

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

Rolling a second +ag is only on a 5/6 or a 6/5 (dice rolls on level up need to total 11) so 2/36 (2 possibilities out of 36 combinations on 2d6) or 1/18. In order to have a 1/4 chance he'd have to level up to 7 which probably won't happen as that can take 100 games =P

Agent355 fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Oct 11, 2017

Cassa
Jan 29, 2009
Speaking of skills, I was looking at bbtactics to try and get abreast of what some of them actually did, or do I just have to read that drat LRB still?

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
I had to look up Out of Bounds scatters on a game a while back, and it turns out, it scatters from the point of exit either straight or on one of the two diagonals <V> on a d6

After a direction is determined, 2d6 is rolled and the ball scatters that many spaces in that direction. So it has the highest chance of scattering 7 spaces, but could also have scattered like, 4 and been caught by one of his own guys.

Blackmage Yapo
Mar 27, 2008

Odin You Sad I Have
All The SPP

Cassa posted:

Speaking of skills, I was looking at bbtactics to try and get abreast of what some of them actually did, or do I just have to read that drat LRB still?

Fumbbl's help page here is actually super helpful even if you don't play there. Found this nice quicky skill cheat sheet there: http://coachchainsaw.blogspot.co.uk/p/skills.html

Cassa
Jan 29, 2009

Blackmage Yapo posted:

Fumbbl's help page here is actually super helpful even if you don't play there. Found this nice quicky skill cheat sheet there: http://coachchainsaw.blogspot.co.uk/p/skills.html

Thanks! Keen to see your team murder Agent's, too.

Aumanor
Nov 9, 2012
So do we get a Friday game this week too?

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

Yeah I'll be posting another video Friday.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
That was a really fun Delf game. The going for it turnover was just :perfect:

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!
Going For It isn't cursed.

It works perfectly fine 83.33% of the time.

The remaining 16.67% is every time you try to score with a GFI.

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves
Remember Gridlocked's ABGFI's of Bloodboel success: Always be Going For It.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!
You fail every GFI you don't take.

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves
Also remember my other ABS. Always Be Studmanning

The ideology eater
Oct 20, 2010

IT'S GARBAGE DAY AT WENDY'S FUCK YEAH WE EATIN GOOD TONIGHT

Gridlocked posted:

Also remember my other ABS. Always Be Studmanning

Ah man I haven't thought about Studman in forever. A true hero :911:

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

The ideology eater posted:

Ah man I haven't thought about Studman in forever. A true hero :911:

My Burginator quotes team included IMA STUDMAN IRL who never failed to pile on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

Game 9 - Goblins

Versus Upen again, but goblins this time.

That was fun, still can't hurt people though which is just a statistical miracle at this point. Our good friend Fleetfoot Mac leveled up again and of course we can always vote to get rid of the best cheerleaders if for some reason you have bad opinions. Also a money vote if y'all want to spend the cash. We need to spend (or waste) at least 20k so it doens't negatively affect our tv, we could possibly just burn it by buying cheerleaders then immediately selling them because we don't want that tv, but thats up to you lot.

Stadium enhancement effort post:

Bascially they cost 100k and give an effect for both teams, there are a handful of em so I'll just list em out. Also you only get the effect when you're playing your stadium, so half the time we won't see them.

Magician's Shop-
Both side's get a wizard. Wizards can either fireball or lightning bolts, one being a less reliable aoe and one a more reliable single target knockdown, the long and short of it is wizards can be used to knock down blodging ball carriers more easily and typically favor elf teams.

Security Gate-
No riots (+/- turn counter) or pitch invasion (randomly stunned players) on kickoffs.

Beer Stand -
+1 injury rolls on surfs

Referee Rest Area -
Both teams get a bribe, we saw bribes in this game they can be used to save people who are getting ejected, either from secret weapons or fouling.

Astrogranite turf -
+1 injury rolls on failed GFIs

Elf turf -
-1 injury rolls on failed GFIs

Royal Box-
Doubles gain/loss of fan factor

Squig Sandwich Kiosk-
'Throw rock' (random injury) and 'Get the ref' (free bribe) kick off events are cancelled.

Nuffle Altar -
-50k cost to star players during inducements.

Magic Dome -
Always 'very nice' weather and no changing weather kick offs.

Agent355 fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Oct 13, 2017

• Locked thread