Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!

LentThem posted:

so would you go so far as to describe this as "a mere chaos of childish absurdities and refined mysticism, cemented together, by sophistic reasonings, into a system, which is in reality a ridiculous caricature of science"?

It's pretty timeless.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kharnifex
Sep 11, 2001

The Banter is better in AusGBS
Uh oh!

https://www.wsj.com/amp/articles/hollywood-busts-chinese-cinema-plot-to-fake-box-office-figures-1507025987

Audit uncovers under reported audience numbers, ticket sales and unreported screenings

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.
I always enjoyed those home renovation shows where they'd get five feng shui experts in to remodel the same room, and essentially get six different answers

ladron
Sep 15, 2007

eso es lo que es

webmeister posted:

I always enjoyed those home renovation shows where they'd get five feng shui experts in to remodel the same room, and essentially get six different answers

there was a Bullshit! episode like this that was pretty good

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Does this balloon hurt the feelings of the Chinese people?

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Ceciltron posted:

Oh no! I once ate shrimps and tomato! gently caress!

It's okay, barbarians can eat whatever.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Pham Nuwen posted:

Does this balloon hurt the feelings of the Chinese people?

No, because it has Chinese on it and it doesn't say anything about not being a part of China. If anything, it suggests a lovely tourism destination that is and has always been part of China :eng101:

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Pick posted:

It's like the people in this thread are not aware that Chinese physiology is different. That's why TCM works for them and cold water is an instant death sentence.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

DACK FAYDEN posted:

No, because it has Chinese on it and it doesn't say anything about not being a part of China. If anything, it suggests a lovely tourism destination that is and has always been part of China :eng101:

Actually, speaking of tourism I got an Instagram ad the other day for "visithainangov", with a little video showing all the cool stuff you can do in Hainan like snorkelling, diving, kayaking etc. Turns out that most of the footage was "borrowed" from a GoPro launch trailer and of course, not filmed in Hainan.

Annoyingly, I can't find either the post or the account now which sucks because it was really funny

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.

Blistex posted:

It's like the people in this thread are not aware that Chinese physiology is different. That's why TCM works for them and cold water is an instant death sentence.

Obviously if you actually understood the way the body processes food combinations like the ancient masters did, you would live to be 300

Kharnifex
Sep 11, 2001

Pick posted:

Barbarian biology is different from celestial biology.

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

Total Eclipse of the Heart
https://twitter.com/LiuRen6/status/855374585893593089

fins
May 31, 2011

Floss Finder

Grand Fromage posted:

Actually if I get to choose, death by banh mi sounds pretty good

Perma Banh Mi

Ziv Zulander
Mar 24, 2017

ZZ for short

Foreverially banh mitized and loving it

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Dear Bajaj, please tell us more of CG and her adventures in India.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

https://www.economist.com/news/briefing/21723128-and-fixing-it-will-be-hard-and-costly-most-neglected-threat-public-health-china

Good news everyone! The lack of unpolluted farmland is going to solve China's demographics problem by 2030!

Fantastic Flyer
Aug 9, 2017

Jeoh posted:

https://www.economist.com/news/briefing/21723128-and-fixing-it-will-be-hard-and-costly-most-neglected-threat-public-health-china

Good news everyone! The lack of unpolluted farmland is going to solve China's demographics problem by 2030!

Pffft, they'll just push the date back 5 years when it gets closer

LentThem
Aug 31, 2004

90% Retractible

Steakandchips posted:

Dear Bajaj, please tell us more of CG and her adventures in India.

she probably texted him "i now understand why you always poo poo your pants"

Didn't someone post a story years ago about a chinese friend that has permanent stomach problems after a business trip to india? Also involved used hotel water bottles having the lids glued on to appear new?

LentThem fucked around with this message at 01:28 on Oct 10, 2017

Lazer Monkey
Jan 15, 2005

https://twitter.com/shanghaiist/status/917417621942923264

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

https://www.hongkongfp.com/2017/10/10/34000-sign-petition-urging-hong-kong-authorities-not-arrest-shop-cat-accused-hurting-child/

Motherfuckers are coming for our shop cats now.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

:10bux: the kid was treating the cat like an art exhibit.

Porfiriato
Jan 4, 2016

Granted it's really, reeeaaalllly unlikely the cat has rabies, but saying it's "too sick" to undergo a quarantine does not seem like the most well-thought-out strategy.

Kharnifex
Sep 11, 2001

Free Marble!

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

that comment section, lol

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!

I'm presuming those are video screens with speakers.

HerStuddMuffin
Aug 10, 2014

YOSPOS
That's a pretty awesome prank. Seriously.

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002

by VideoGames
Hell Gem

nerdz posted:

So all those studios adding chinese roles to their movies and "chinese market only" scenes are just wasting their money?

Because if so, lol

King Kong Skull Island was hilarious with the chinese actress that could barely speak english and had like 5 broken english lines in the whole movie

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U70KsBSQPtg

Yes I was trying to remember which movie I had seen recently that had a blatant chinese insert and this was it, I watched it on a plane to Italy last month and cracked up. I tried to google her lines just now because all I could remember is her shouting random poo poo like "look out"

Found this quote from an article

"“The 28 year-old has a dozen or so lines but only three of them are longer than five words. However, the camera from time to time freezes on her face for more than five seconds without her uttering a word,” it notes. “Her biggest on-screen contribution is opening a can of food for a colleague,” wrote the South China Morning Post dismissively."

It was even worse then the chick in the new Independence Day who had nothing to do with the plot and said about the same amount.

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

oohhboy posted:

You don't even need a hundred. The Russians of course as an experiment tamed Foxes and it only took 58 years.

http://www.pbs.org/newshour/updates/domesticated-foxes-genetically-fascinating-terrible-pets/

They now sell the foxes and their pelts to continue their research program.

OTOH I have no idea :wtf: is going on here other than a gross demonstration of there is the will(money), there is a way.

https://www.thedodo.com/in-the-wild/monster-fox-fur-farms

Ducks is great but New Zealand ducks are skin as anything lacking in both fat and muscle. I might have eaten other fowl at some point and I can't complain.

I don't like Sheep though, nasty taste.

Post the suit.

LentThem
Aug 31, 2004

90% Retractible

Bum the Sad posted:

Yes I was trying to remember which movie I had seen recently that had a blatant chinese insert and this was it, I watched it on a plane to Italy last month and cracked up. I tried to google her lines just now because all I could remember is her shouting random poo poo like "look out"

the guy next to me on a flight last month was watching this with english captions, and I remember theres a part where she and another guy are watching a monitor after they first start checking seismic activity on the island. She gives some kind of response that sounded bizarre enough that I thought the captions hosed up, I wish I could remember what she said.

Ups_rail
Dec 8, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
this was kinda cool

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GiBF6v5UAAE

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
I still get a kick out of China and the US being the same size, except China's population is equal to [The Americas] plus [Western Europe]. And it's all squeezed into the eastern third.

Imagine all of the Americas immigrated to the US and then also half of Europe. Then squeeze them onto the eastern seaboard.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Accretionist posted:

I still get a kick out of China and the US being the same size, except China's population is equal to [The Americas] plus [Western Europe]. And it's all squeezed into the eastern third.

Imagine all of the Americas immigrated to the US and then also half of Europe. Then squeeze them onto the eastern seaboard.

I believe that's the backstory for Judge Dredd.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Mr. Nice! posted:

I believe that's the backstory for Judge Dredd.

Police State with Chinese Characteristics.

Bajaj
Sep 13, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
This is my first time looking at the forums since I left last week. I have no WiFi, and I am stuck using my phone as a hot spot for my notebook. Even though I have 1GB data per day, modern websites use that up super fast.

Chaoshan Girl is really enjoying where we are going and what we are doing. She keeps shouting "OH MY GOD" when we arrive at a temple or ancient place. She is extremely amused and shocked at watching the wild pigs, monkeys, cows, dogs, and birds. She is equally amused by watching the bullock carts, camel carts, and wild humans. She is saddened by the poverty and homeless kids, disabled beggars, and so on. Overall, it's very eye-opening for her. She is very happy. She wanted to wear a sari, but had no one to teach her, so she bought these kid trainer saris with clips and buttons, since she's tiny, and has been wearing those and looking cute.

We have been eating a lot, and every day she says how she feels so much stronger than in China, and how the food makes her not feel bad all the time. She hasn't eaten much strictly Indian food, but has found a new love of pasta, lasagna, Frankies, milkshakes, and varieties of Indian sweets. She became completely addicted to lassi, and drinks 4-5 per day. Since milk is cheap and easy to find here, she has become a milk, cheese, and paneer fan and has milk products constantly. She hasn't gotten any illness. She said she realizes that now there are people that are more rude than Chinese, but at the same time they make her less crazy. She wants to come back many times.

The people she came with, who I also know, are fine as well, but were ridiculous and were eating and letting their kid eat at any street cart they saw. I walked by them eating street pani puri that had been sitting in the sun all day. I told them it was a bad idea. The kid got super sick and poo poo his guts out all night. After that they started asking if they could eat at such and such, and I would say no, and they would become dejected.

Their kid was a loving shithead and I caused them to lose a lot of face every time they would go with CG and I to see famous spots. They know the customs and rules, especially about feet and noise if visiting in a temple, and they wouldn't even bother to control the kid when we'd go inside a temple. He would be running around grabbing poo poo from strangers, climbing on holy structures or putting his feet on holy things, etc. Every time I'd try to take a photo, he'd jump into the frame and start having his arms and say "HEY GOOD." He tried to grab my phone out of my hand like a poo poo head. I scolded the kid at any chance I would get and would yell at his parents to control him, because priests and pilgrims would become furious at him/us. The mom would just stand there and weakly tell him to stop, and he would ignore them. I said the monkeys stealing stuff from people on the street are better behaved than him.
Anyway, the kid is nearly 10. He's never been reprimanded in his life. He's the epitome of those spoiled rich little shits that grow up to drive BMWs and scoff at the suffering or problems they cause.

CG made an electronics business deal with my dad, and now my dad is sending my Thai mom to Shenzhen, where she will stay a week with CG in her house. My dad loves CG and has given her the nickname "China Pickle." He's always sarcastically calling her my "friend," and then asks how much I am "dicking" her. I said I have no idea what he's talking about.

Anyway, I got a few more days before I go back.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Please post tips on how to tell good from bad India street food, other than the obvious of going to busy ones cooking everything to order.

mikerock
Oct 29, 2005

She met your Dad? When's the wedding?

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Bajaj posted:

We have been eating a lot, and every day she says how she feels so much stronger than in China, and how the food makes her not feel bad all the time.

infinite thinky face

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

The best meal I have ever eaten in my life was a Masala Dosa eaten at a roadside shack just off the dirt road somewhere between Chennai and Bengalaru. (Which is the other side of the country to where you are, I know.)

Also, if Chaoshan Girl likes Indian sweets, you should turn her on to Gulab Jamun, and/or Rasgulla. Also the diamond shaped cashew/pisatcchio thing that I don't know the name of, but it is in any self respecting sweet stall, although that could be just a South Indian thing.

Imperialist Dog
Oct 21, 2008

"I think you could better spend your time on finishing your editing before the deadline today."
\
:backtowork:
Let me know if you need a piper at your upcoming wedding

In HK news, making fun of the Chinese anthem will soon become illegal

https://twitter.com/aaronMCN/status/917725142771363840

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ladron
Sep 15, 2007

eso es lo que es

mikerock posted:

She met your Dad? When's the wedding?

for real.

Isn't the main rule of Chinese people to never let them know where you live or meet your family?

Wait, maybe that's prison...

• Locked thread