Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

FilthyImp posted:

Funny, that seems to be what DC is attempting with Doomsday Clock (oooh, DC, D.C. how clever!). Except it's being done by someone scanning through a wiki article about Watchmen.

Can't wait for a character to say "{Hero_Name} ?! They haven't been seen since The Watchmen disbanded!" Or "I sure am glad the Original Nite Owl survived his horrific beating. Sure he's in a wheelchair, but he's still tickin"

I'm not talking about writing and drawing something similar to old comics, I'm talking about making a physical simulacrum of what it would be like to hold a brand new copy of Detective #27 in 1939.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Skwirl posted:

I'm not talking about writing and drawing something similar to old comics, I'm talking about making a physical simulacrum of what it would be like to hold a brand new copy of Detective #27 in 1939.

:thejoke:

Teenage Fansub posted:

Your weak drive-by burn actually got me excited that they'd press it on old time paper for a sec :/
If that were going to happen, i think they would have done it for Pax Americana. Or that Shazamworld one-shot.

Am I crazy or did Wednesday Comics come in oversized newspaper print?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

FilthyImp posted:

:thejoke:

If that were going to happen, i think they would have done it for Pax Americana. Or that Shazamworld one-shot.

Am I crazy or did Wednesday Comics come in oversized newspaper print?

It's not a funny joke then. I was talking about a weird nerd/artist project, not a marketing strategy DC might do.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Skwirl posted:

It's not a funny joke then. I was talking about a weird nerd/artist project, not a marketing strategy DC might do.
The big impediment would be finding a 4 color halftoning printing press similar to what was used in the era, right? Then you have to get a way to authentically prep the plates or however the hell you get a page printed, and finally you track down the pulp pages similar to the quality or composition of the time.

It's not impossible that someone has access to an old as gently caress press somewhere but I imagine the process would be complicated before you even consider possibly getting sued when it blows up on reddit.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

FilthyImp posted:

The big impediment would be finding a 4 color halftoning printing press similar to what was used in the era, right? Then you have to get a way to authentically prep the plates or however the hell you get a page printed, and finally you track down the pulp pages similar to the quality or composition of the time.

It's not impossible that someone has access to an old as gently caress press somewhere but I imagine the process would be complicated before you even consider possibly getting sued when it blows up on reddit.

I wrote a response here
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3836169&pagenumber=3#post477202315
because I realized I was getting way off the topic of the thread.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

ElNarez posted:

DC just announced a new Inferior 5 mini-series, by Keith Giffen and Jeff Lemire, set in the 80s, with Peacemaker backups. This is a real announcement that just happened.

https://twitter.com/jefflemire/status/917067874761658369

80s Peacemaker is literally and figuratively insane. If it is true to the source material hold onto your butts.

Zoro
Aug 30, 2017

by Smythe
I haven't really been following Batman. How is Batman White Knight? I like the premise. How is the Metal Event going? Are the Batman from the Dark Universe 1 shots worth it?

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Metal's a bunch of fun. Someone here was frustrated that it was making a bunch of deep DC history cuts that they weren't prepared for, but if you can roll with that, it should be a ridiculous good time.
I haven't been too impressed by any of the tie-ins. I say skip 'em.
There were two build-up one-shots 'The Forge' and 'The Casting,' which I thought were a bit crap, but the main series is worth getting through them.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Mr Hootington posted:

80s Peacemaker is literally and figuratively insane. If it is true to the source material hold onto your butts.

It's nice he has more metal covering his apparent afro or something.

AFoolAndHisMoney
Aug 13, 2013

You can jump right into Metal without reading the Casting or the Forge tbh.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Mr Hootington posted:

Is he some sort of Dredd knockoff/pastiche/precursor?

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Detective Comics

“Tell Conner you’re sorry”

“Conner, who the hell is Conner?”

:supaburn::supaburn::supaburn:

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

McCloud posted:

Is he some sort of Dredd knockoff/pastiche/precursor?

The first version of the character debuted in 1966; he was one of the Charlton Comics characters that Alan Moore wanted to use for Watchmen but when DC said no he turned him into the Comedian.

The 1980s Peacemaker was loving crazy, a super-rich dude who founds a group called the "Pax Institute" to promote world peace and also develop nonlethal weaponry and goes to fight dictators and such but eventually realizes that his whole peace-through-violence schtick is actually a manifestation of mental illness brought on by the fact that his dad was the commandant of a Nazi death camp. Then he starts hallucinating the ghost of his dead Nazi war criminal father haunting him and criticizing him, starts getting more violent, starts killing people, and believes that the ghosts of all the people he's killed live in his helmet and offer him advice.

I am not making any of that poo poo up.

Comics are amazing.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

The first version of the character debuted in 1966; he was one of the Charlton Comics characters that Alan Moore wanted to use for Watchmen but when DC said no he turned him into the Comedian.

The 1980s Peacemaker was loving crazy, a super-rich dude who founds a group called the "Pax Institute" to promote world peace and also develop nonlethal weaponry and goes to fight dictators and such but eventually realizes that his whole peace-through-violence schtick is actually a manifestation of mental illness brought on by the fact that his dad was the commandant of a Nazi death camp. Then he starts hallucinating the ghost of his dead Nazi war criminal father haunting him and criticizing him, starts getting more violent, starts killing people, and believes that the ghosts of all the people he's killed live in his helmet and offer him advice.

I am not making any of that poo poo up.

Comics are amazing.

The mental illness stems from abuse from his father and being forced to watch his father commit suicide.

The 4 issue mini can be bought in comixology for $4 and is worth it.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

Indeed, the original title he proposed for Watchmen was "Who Killed the Peacemaker?"

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

I am weirdly bothered by the fact that Kara is now speaking with contractions out of the blue in Supergirl when she hasn't for all of Rebirth (at least). Weirdly because it also bothered me that she didn't use contractions in her dialogue up to this point.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

So the Oz Effect or whatever it's called in Action, is essentially the Manchester Black reveal and arc that was in Superman. That's really depressing and BOOOOOORRRRRING.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Zoro posted:

I haven't really been following Batman. How is Batman White Knight? I like the premise. How is the Metal Event going? Are the Batman from the Dark Universe 1 shots worth it?

Batman White Knight is the story about how the Joker, spurned by the fact that Batman actually, really doesn't love him, decides to sue him because "Gotham Deserves Better."

Zoro
Aug 30, 2017

by Smythe

Onmi posted:

Batman White Knight is the story about how the Joker, spurned by the fact that Batman actually, really doesn't love him, decides to sue him because "Gotham Deserves Better."

Are you loving serious? I'm gonna save my 3.99.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
I've found it to be a pretty entertaining read.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
I am trade-waiting White Knight and will probably get it just for the sweet sweet Murphy artwork.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Zoro posted:

Are you loving serious? I'm gonna save my 3.99.

But that sounds amazing though?

SMP
May 5, 2009

So it's a grimdark version of Lego Batman

Adnor
Jan 11, 2013

Justice for Daisy

X-O posted:

Detective Comics

“Tell Conner you’re sorry”

“Conner, who the hell is Conner?”

:supaburn::supaburn::supaburn:

Hopefully this means he will return too. His Pre-N52 version.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Frank Tieri is writing Harley Quinn from #35. Conner is aiming to get back to doing interior art work.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...m=.a96c6da5aca0

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Teenage Fansub posted:

Frank Tieri is writing Harley Quinn from #35. Conner is aiming to get back to doing interior art work.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...m=.a96c6da5aca0

jesus christ Tieri? That's dire.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Blockhouse posted:

People will still buy it.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

That sounds like a stopgap choice to me.
If the book will sell anyway, and it doesn't really matter if her solo matches her role in the wider DCU, I say give it to one of your talent workshop grads (hopefully a woman) and let them do whatever they want.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Blockhouse posted:

It's not like it was a good book anyway.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I have my wires crossed, was Tieri the dude who was Joe Q's buddy and/or pizza guy?

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

Onmi posted:

On a scale from 0 to Internet Hottake On A Slow News Day, how smug is it about saying "Actually, Batman is the bad guy"?

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?
Mister Miracle is one of the best books being released right now. Everything about it is perfect.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Unlucky7 posted:

On a scale from 0 to Internet Hottake On A Slow News Day, how smug is it about saying "Actually, Batman is the bad guy"?

Internet Hottake on a Slow News Day. So Joker loves Batman, but Batman doesn't love him, and batman force feeds joker some pills. These pills makes him not crazy and GENIUS LEVEL intellect! And then he decides he's going to sue the GCPD, Batman and Gotham City because "Well batman causes way more damage than I ever did."

I loving love this bit

"Oh poo poo" like he has them there.

EDIT: To clarify, this Joker is not a killer, he's a thief at best. Why does Batman hate him so much and the GCPD treat him like the worst thing in the world if all he's ever done is steal? And not even like robbing a bank, like knocking over a grocery store.

Onmi fucked around with this message at 04:44 on Oct 12, 2017

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

bobkatt013 posted:

Mister Miracle is one of the best books being released right now. Everything about it is perfect.

The Granny Goodness part might be the gnarliest thing DC has published outside of Vertigo.

Metal out-ridiculous'd it's self again
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EZ9ymE2Rcxo

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 04:57 on Oct 12, 2017

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Teenage Fansub posted:

The Granny Goodness part might be the gnarliest thing DC has published outside of Vertigo.

Have a new Christmas story to tell the kids this year!

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Dark Nights: Metal #3: I don't even have any words left to describe how balls-out, enjoyably unique this story has been. I probably enjoyed the last issue a bit more because it didn't seem like this issue's balls were quite as out as it was before, but I'm still super invested in what's about to go down, here. It really feels like I'm reading a Morrisonian JLA story from the 90s/00s, aka that time when DC's JLA was leading the herd in terms of, like, being willing to experiment with big stories and huge stakes and horrific cosmic villains, and yet somehow ended up still being fun to read all the time.

Detective Comics #966: There's honestly a lot of interesting scenes and compelling ideas in this issue, but let's be real, the only real important part was the Conner namedrop. :allears:

I don't think this necessarily means that they actually have any sort of solid plan in mind for bringing him back yet, but it's definitely a step towards acknowledging that they will acknowledge it someday instead of the incredibly conspicuous lack of mention up to this point. It feels impossible to me that they won't have some sort of Young Justice revival to synch with season 3 of the show...but, again, let's be real, DC isn't always on the ball when it comes to this stuff.

Wonder Woman #32: Well...that was anticlimactic.
Okay fine, there's still a lot of issues left to go, but for now I'm definitely still in an immediate "Is this really going to be worth all the fuss?" state of mind.

What's weird is that half the issue seems to be dealing with Diana's discovery of her inheritance and brother, which wasn't so bad, but the first half put a grinding bloody screech into the plot so she could go and pointlessly fight some parademons with Steve and the cast of her recent film. It was so bizarre. There was even a panel of her going "Yeah, I would've been dealing with, y'know, the actual plot of this arc, but I got called to deal with this instead."

And also, this new bi-weekly artist draws her eagle breastplate facing the wrong way and also a different tiara on her than the one she was wearing just last issue. Captivating.

I have to laugh at the cover as well, which shows Diana decked out in full battle regalia with dead giant animals all around her ('cuz when you think Wonder Woman you just think of her killing animals, right?) and the phrase "THE TREASURES OF HERCULES!" gleaming in front, but in the issue itself the actual treasure of Hercules is...just a letter that he wrote her, telling her about stuff. It's almost endearing, in a tradtionally cheesy, deceptive comic book cover sort of way.

Oh and I'm sure this Blake guy is going to end up being one god or another. With my luck he'll probably end up being Zeus. :geno:

BrianWilly fucked around with this message at 07:46 on Oct 12, 2017

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Wonder Woman needs way more interesting art.

I just checked comicbookroundup and people seem to hate the last two JLA issues. I know it's pausing the arc for some backstory, but I liked them. Who couldn't use some Ray Palmer adventures in their life?

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
...Like, everyone? Sorry, this is gonna sound hella negative, but I don't think there's an un-douchey way of saying that Ray Palmer is not all that interesting as a solo act and did not need even a single full issue detailing his drama with these microverse weirdos, much less two, and that these issues would have driven me from the book even if it had been an amazing comic before this arc, which it really wasn't.

Seriously...having an issue that's all backstory? Fine, we can deal. Having two back-to-back issues that just flash back to events from months before this series ever started, featuring a cast of characters who aren't even the stars of this book? You're pushing your luck but...whatever, it's not entirely unprecedented. But putting those two issues right in the middle of an interrupted cliffhanger of your actual storyline which stars the actual characters that this book is about? It's, I'm sorry, beyond ridiculous and makes me seriously question Steve Orlando's basic competency as a writer.

Which is incredibly sad because I actually like how Orlando writes these characters, most of whom I'm quite attached to...but yeah, nothing is worth this current storyline and so I've tapped out of JLA for now.

BrianWilly fucked around with this message at 12:21 on Oct 12, 2017

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

On a double shipping book I don't think it's that bad a wait. S'pose it definitely helps that I was entertained by the diversion.

I'm feeling the burn much more on Superman, waiting six issues for it to get back in order.

Though, looking further at the page, https://comicbookroundup.com/comic-books/reviews/dc-comics/justice-league-of-america-(2017)/16 about half of the people still reviewing the title seem to have a hate-on for JLA and Orlando in general. The other person weirdly gave it a 10, so what I'm learning is that the comics review scene is much too small and silly right now to care very much about.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Caper
Feb 20, 2005

Fallen Rib
I, too, am absolutely loving Mister Miracle. Tom King owns. But I'm not sure what's really going on at the end of issue 2 and #3 doesn't really clear it up for me. Obviously Barda didn't die but are she and Scott going back in time at the end? Back before the Mother Box zapped them to where Granny was? Sorry if this is a dumb question,