Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
I'd imagine the writer plans on keeping up the pattern long enough for it to expected before he starts to tweak it. See: Katanagatari. Both because it demonstrates his style and because it's pretty good; you should see it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

The Colonel posted:

grouchio are you asking a sincere question or are you nudging because you've read the manga or something
It's a sincere question. The first two episodes and premise smell of potential trainwreck material.
(4 chan/reddit uses the term too)

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
it's nisio isin so i trust it to at least remain interesting

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
by all means, let's do what 4chan and reddit do

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

Grouchio posted:

Would you be surprised if the show turns into a sizeable trainwreck?
No because I absolutely thought it would be before it aired.

But yeah I've seen Bakemonogatari at least and I trust Niso

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
Children of the Whales' first episode is interesting. Very curious to see where it goes, and how rain affects an actual sea of sand. It's super pretty too so that's nice

There's also this thing, it's pretty cute

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Everything Burrito posted:

by all means, let's do what 4chan and reddit do
C'mon Burrito, you often read like a reasonable person. Don't do this.

Juuni Taisen EP 2: Mad Dog or not, but poor sod should've known better. That last scene with Zombie Boar made me immediately go "Hitchcock shout-out!" :3:. Also, Ox is giving me Shin Megami Tensei III and IV Matador flashbacks and I don't know why, but I kinda sympathize with how horse dude went from relief to overwhelming horror in like 3 seconds :) "Hey, it's the Ox dude! He seems like a rational fe-- oh poo poo, he's in murder-trance Saito Hajime mode PARRYPARRYPARRYPARRYPARRYFUCK!" :stonk:

Moltrey posted:

Juuni Taisen - Episode 2: Still enjoying it, they're not afraid to spend a large amount of time on dialogue and character interaction. There was a couple of cute character moments and the ED does some lifting there as well. The animation's still super good too, i really enjoy those thick-rear end lines. Looks like they'll be going into Episode 3 with some alliances and fights forming, so I'm surprisingly optimistic

Ep 2 spoilers I hope they don't keep being quite as predictable with who's gonna get axed, I was honestly hoping Episode 2 would end with no new deaths. I also hope the viewpoint character doesn't keep biting it in the end.
I totally get where you're coming from. So far, it kinda reminds me of Psycho-Pass' 1st Season, in which, save for a couple of episodes, the bursts of action often felt like the conclusion of all the time spent on dialogue and character interaction (plus all the Book / Theater club recommendations it often delved into, because Urobuchi gotta buchi :smuggo:)

Regarding your spoilers taking into account that one fourth of the combatants are officially dead (Rabbit-fuckery notwithstanding), I'm thinking that a variation of the formula is inevitable.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

i don't think it's weird to say "hey, posting like you're on 4chan or reddit doesn't always fly on SA"

anyway juuni taisen was a bit weaker this episode, the focus felt way too fractured and i wanted more from the pov character. with the cast dwindling each week i'll probably get my wish at least.

Kytrarewn
Jul 15, 2011

Solving mysteries in
Bb, F and D.
It's annoying enough when an episode has 45 seconds at the beginning with absolutely no new material, but really Black Clover... 5 minutes of recap on the second episode before the OP is considered?

This doesn't bode particularly well.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.
I've been rewatching MHA, and they have a lot of that too. I think it's just the younger shounen shows in general.

There are, however, quite a few things about it that don't bode well.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
mhas1 is pretty dense with flash backs but they don't take up much time in season 2, not sure what black clover's deal is

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

evil or live lost me in the first five minutes, with all the propaganda about the importance of education and respecting your family, and how internet addiction is bad. like it will probably go on to be a fine show with lower production values, but the context of that first episode just put me off since it seems more like old people yelling at kids than presenting a nuanced story about how the internet can negatively affect someone's life.

The Colonel posted:

mhas1 is pretty dense with flash backs but they don't take up much time in season 2, not sure what black clover's deal is

black clover's deal might be that it's one of five shows pierrot is animating in the current season. they still managed to pull out a really cool b&w cut for the climax of the episode, so i'm satisfied with it for now.

dogsicle fucked around with this message at 02:24 on Oct 11, 2017

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

dogsicle posted:

i don't think it's weird to say "hey, posting like you're on 4chan or reddit doesn't always fly on SA"
It's less that and more "Whoa! Let's not get carried away!".

Basically, I was being an impish jerkface.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Wark Say posted:

It's less that and more "Whoa! Let's not get carried away!".

Basically, I was being an impish jerkface.

ah, my bad

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

The Colonel posted:

Season 2's problem is the fact that they have to give every character a nametag in every episode in the second half.

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

Juuni Taisen rules a lot.

Moltrey posted:

Ep 2 spoilers I hope they don't keep being quite as predictable with who's gonna get axed, I was honestly hoping Episode 2 would end with no new deaths. I also hope the viewpoint character doesn't keep biting it in the end.

I'm pretty sure it's going to keep happening, and then something will break the pattern and it'll be awesome. I'm really liked this episode even though it was predictable. I love the thing they do where one person keeps thinking while the other is talking, and the person thinking is always making some huge mistake.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

it's interesting to hear that the juuni taisen novel basically spoils every character death in the title of the chapter it happens in

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Juuni Taisen's Cautionary Tale so far: Unless you're Araragi, tell your inner narrator voice to shut the gently caress up

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

dogsicle posted:

it's interesting to hear that the juuni taisen novel basically spoils every character death in the title of the chapter it happens in

The table of contents kinda spells it out if you just do process of elimination and assume the animals in the later chapters are still alive. Exception being the Snake chapter of course. Actually, kinda spoilers but I'll hide it since it'll spell it out once you notice it knowing the zodiac order or the original zodiac race story is kinda a spoiler in itself so really, the main interesting things going on is how the characters get taken out, and their backstory. The backstory wasn't fully told in episode 2, while episode 1's was expanded, so the anime will trim or expand as needed.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
Oyankopon had one decent joke, and it's only three minutes long so I guess that's OK

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

Wark Say posted:

Juuni Taisen EP 2: Mad Dog or not, but poor sod should've known better. That last scene with Zombie Boar made me immediately go "Hitchcock shout-out!" :3:. Also, Ox is giving me Shin Megami Tensei III and IV Matador flashbacks and I don't know why, but I kinda sympathize with how horse dude went from relief to overwhelming horror in like 3 seconds :) "Hey, it's the Ox dude! He seems like a rational fe-- oh poo poo, he's in murder-trance Saito Hajime mode PARRYPARRYPARRYPARRYPARRYFUCK!" :stonk:

I totally get where you're coming from. So far, it kinda reminds me of Psycho-Pass' 1st Season, in which, save for a couple of episodes, the bursts of action often felt like the conclusion of all the time spent on dialogue and character interaction (plus all the Book / Theater club recommendations it often delved into, because Urobuchi gotta buchi :smuggo:)

Regarding your spoilers taking into account that one fourth of the combatants are officially dead (Rabbit-fuckery notwithstanding), I'm thinking that a variation of the formula is inevitable.
Ox is extremely Matador with the green coat and white leggings. Fighting in an empty city is also extremely SMT. Ox is def my fav so far, but there's no way he's winning this with how he's built up. Part of me hopes the fight at the end doesn't really happen with how Moderate they claimed he was

e: whoops I read one-fourth as just four i dont know math

an actual dog posted:

I'm pretty sure it's going to keep happening, and then something will break the pattern and it'll be awesome. I'm really liked this episode even though it was predictable. I love the thing they do where one person keeps thinking while the other is talking, and the person thinking is always making some huge mistake.
Yeah the two dialogue things at once reminds me a lot of Orange from last year where while the main characters are talking, there's completely inane and non relevant chatter happening between other students cause of course there is

Yeah you're right the rug will probably be pulled at some point, I was just surprised that stuck to the formula, but they'll prob do it for a bit longer yeah

Expect My Mom fucked around with this message at 04:01 on Oct 11, 2017

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Guy Goodbody posted:

Oyankopon had one decent joke, and it's only three minutes long so I guess that's OK

it's directed by the gdgd fairies/seha girls guy so i have high hopes

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

The Colonel posted:

it's nisio isin so i trust it to at least remain interesting

Oooh, that's a good selling point.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
Is anyone watching S2 of Kekkai Sensen? I dropped the first season towards the end because I heard the last two episodes were tacky anime-original content; is S2 back to the published material or is more original stuff?

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Is anyone watching S2 of Kekkai Sensen? I dropped the first season towards the end because I heard the last two episodes were tacky anime-original content; is S2 back to the published material or is more original stuff?

It's manga stuff.

E: I liked the 2nd to last episode of season 1 though.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

First episode was great, plus since you know who everyone is you should be able to jump in just fine without worrying about the end of S1

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

VostokProgram posted:

challenge accepted

i have completed this objective and colonel was right about everything

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

VostokProgram posted:

i have completed this objective and colonel was right about everything

So you support reploid independence.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
gaaaaaah episode 11 of bbb is really good

if you just want manga stuff though s2 is just going to be that. the manga's over so there isn't really room to even fit that in

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

chumbler posted:

So you support reploid independence.

yeah

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

my impressions of the season so far:

girls tour is cool, i like the dynamic between the characters. i also like their design. sad that the vehicle doesn't talk

magus bride is very interesting, i expect it'll probably be my favorite show this season if it doesn't do something dumb

side m had a boring prologue and a boring episode 1 but it has promise in that they've teased that a bunch more characters will appear. hopefully in the next 2-3 episodes the show finds its rythm

mmo junkie (netjuu) was boring. i don't even remember what happened in this episode. i'm probably going to give it a few more if time permits but it's not looking good.

no opinions on umaru

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
Give Land of the Lustrous/Houseki no Kuni and Children of the Whales a shot if you get the chance imo. I thought they were pretty interesting

Glad you liked Girl's Last Tour btw, it's kind of slow to stream but I enjoyed it a lot

Knorth fucked around with this message at 09:07 on Oct 11, 2017

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

VostokProgram posted:

my impressions of the season so far:

girls tour is cool, i like the dynamic between the characters. i also like their design. sad that the vehicle doesn't talk

magus bride is very interesting, i expect it'll probably be my favorite show this season if it doesn't do something dumb

side m had a boring prologue and a boring episode 1 but it has promise in that they've teased that a bunch more characters will appear. hopefully in the next 2-3 episodes the show finds its rythm

mmo junkie (netjuu) was boring. i don't even remember what happened in this episode. i'm probably going to give it a few more if time permits but it's not looking good.

no opinions on umaru

The only ways AMB can do something dumb are by (a) bringing in terrible anime-original content (unnecessary - there's enough material for two cours here, if they so choose), or (b) having one of Wit's notorious production disasters (possible, given the OP looks unfinished as gently caress). The source material is very solid.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
Can’t believe the idolators have to cut vostok down now.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Allarion posted:

Can’t believe the idolators have to cut vostok down now.

They have my sword.

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

i stand with vostok

Polsy
Mar 23, 2007

I'd anticipate the next few SideM episodes being similar to the first one minus any introductory stuff about 315Pro considering they have four more units to introduce, but then I thought the first episode was fine, if unsurprising.

Postal Parcel
Aug 2, 2013
RE: Chuuni Taisen
I loved the reveal that the reason Boar won last time is because he ran from the battlefield. Makes the last episode make a lot of sense. Considering how they're selling ratboy, I'm guessing that he's some sort of time-slipper. Or maybe the "wish everyone back to life" rewinds time or something similar to that, and they're forced to repeat this death game over and over again. Or maybe it's something completely out of left-field since this is Nisio and his stuff is often quite crazy

Quick question though, are those animal parts something they have on at all times or is it only for special events like this? Because does no one really ask why there's a drat dog person roaming the streets?

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

the flashback in the first episode showed boar in normal clothing with no animal stuff

tho how far someone like dog can change his entire thing :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
Juuni Taisen is a world where magic is lowkey real so I'm willing to believe that Ox and Sheep just actually have those horns. They're the only ones in the "Day in the life" style ED that still retain their animal motif

Some of them being fashion choices is cute too, I like Boar's little earring things that come down to her face to look like tusks.

Expect My Mom fucked around with this message at 14:50 on Oct 11, 2017

• Locked thread