Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

POWER TO THE PEOPLE - PADB Dominates Group A At Sebring 12 Hours

SEBRING - The People's Automotive Design Bureau jumped for joy today, having cruised to an easy 1-2 finish in Group A at the Sebring 12 Hours today, beating the two CVR Geryons by a full two laps and bestowing a sense of relief on the team after the frustration of a double retirement at the inaugural race at Daytona. The team principal proudly proclaimed their victory today "brings untold glory and prestige upon our people, and for Marxist-Leninist thought". It is widely believed that PADB's victory today marks the first motorsport win in any series for a team from the Eastern Bloc, and the reaction today from the crowd was decidedly mixed. At one point during the podium celebration, a group of fans waved the blue, white and orange flags of that country's opposition movement, chanting, "Solidarity! Solidarity!" in support of the massive anti-government protests taking place in that country.

EMS had a bittersweet race in Group A, the French team dicing it up with the two CVRs for the first four hours, until the #58 Salope Sprint ground to a halt along the back stretch, its engine failed. Undeterred, the team pressed on with the #57, never letting either CVR out of its sight until the checkered flag. KRG ran another strong, clean race, finishing in sixth and seventh, keeping the CVRs and the lone EMS honest with their pace. La Moore also showed good speed, but suffered another DNF in the early afternoon, the #91 570 Brisbanello experiencing an engine failure. DttC struggled with the track layout today, the bumpy surface and tight, challenging layout not well suited to the Dutch team's machines. Still, an air of confidence remains in the DttC garages, the team confident it can once again find the race-winning pace it had at Daytona a couple of weeks prior. Automurdermotive rounded out the top ten in Group A, their diminutive Bad Donkey proving to be more than a match for much larger, more powerful cars in the class. After a disappointing race at Daytona, defending champions FISH mounted somewhat of a recovery, their cars finishing in the middle of the pack this race, while Flamarbol suffered a double retirement, that team's entries with top ten, or even top five pace before their untimely demise. Westward, a newcomer to the SASC Championship, scored their first Constructor Points, finishing in 13th place behind the #69 Hurricane Harvey.

In Group B, EMS continued their dominance of the class, taking the top two spots of the podium once again, with KRG taking third and fourth, a full four laps behind the two Salope Cyclones. The #64 CVR Geryon Aristo finished fifth, a lap behind the two Altjezzas, with their sister #63 car suffering an accident following yet another brake failure late in the race, though not retiring as the car had already finished enough laps to be classified officially. NEMW built on their pace they showed at Daytona, with the #997 Penobscot GTX finishing an encouraging sixth place, the sister #996 car finshing well back after misjudging a braking point in the fifth hour of the race. Hurricane too exorcised their reliability gremlins, picking up two top-ten finishes behind seventh and eighth place DttC and leapfrogging ahead of Flamarbol in the standings. On the topic of the Australian teams, Flamarbol and La Moore both suffered reliability issues in class, with both Flamarbol Catalina Bs and the #89 La Moore Sport suffering engine failures, though in the case of the #11 Flamarbol they had completed enough laps to be classified at the end of the race.

In Group C, EMS found the top step of the podium today after a frustrating double DNF at Daytona, though this victory was bittersweet with the retirement of the class-leading #78 Salope Superbe on the 75th lap. Regardless, the team was pleased with the hundred points they scored today, though though the goal of recovery is still a ways off. CVR ran a strong race once again, taking the last two spots on the podium and finishing a full two laps clear of the DttC entries in fourth and fifth, the Dutch team too scoring their first points of the campaign. Flamarbol continued their rolelrcoaster Group C campaign, with the #7 Catalina C retiring very early while the #8 cruised to an easy sixth place finish, ahead of the #91 La Moore, and both Speedsters and LATOYs, both well back in the standings.

Finally, the Prototypes filled their podium for the first time this season, with the two CVRs taking top honours ahead of the #77 EMS Salope Gran Vitesse, that car scoring the French team's first podium and their first points of the 1990 season in what proved to be a nail-biting finish, as the #77 never let either of the two CVRs out of its sight the entire race. NEMW too drew their first points of the season, with both Neponsets finishing the race and establishing the team in second place in the Constructor standings.

Top Fives:

Race Results:

Season Standings (click for bigger):

Revision Points:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

Oh, before you mention it, yes, I know the Prototype standings order is messed up - I will fix it for the next race!

Danny Glands
Jan 26, 2013

Possible thermal failure (CPU on fire?)
Can I get a weight analysis for the Type R?

Kafouille
Nov 5, 2004

Think Fast !
So far, unspectacular but consistent seems to be worth it.

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

Me have motors that scream to 10,000rpm. Me have more cars than Pick and Pull
Hm, darn. I'd been hoping that the Russkies wouldn't show that much pace but dang. Evaluating GrA options - might have to give up on using the same engine family for everything.

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

Ugh. Ran the numbers... darn you PADB, I'm going to have to design and homologate another engine family! *shakes fist*

Seriously though, congratulations on that pace. I was really really really hoping I could get by with the same engine family for everything but it doesn't look like that's happening.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

Danny Glands posted:

Can I get a weight analysis for the Type R?

Not too sure what you're looking for here...are you looking a comparison of your entry's weight with the others in class, or something else?

Danny Glands
Jan 26, 2013

MrChips posted:

Not too sure what you're looking for here...are you looking a comparison of your entry's weight with the others in class, or something else?

The first one, since I think going to a V8 made me a bit heavier than other cars in my classes

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLAMBE - EMS Wins, Flamarbol Recovers Strongly In Rio

RIO DE JANEIRO - Flamarbol finally broke their string of bad luck today in the Rio 6 Hours, the team finally able to cash in on their speed as all of their cars finished the race sucessfully this afternoon, with the only blemish on an otherwise perfect race being the #12 Catalina B getting caught up in a first-lap tussle involving the #56 DttC and the #91 La Moore, having got off to a tremendously good start. Although the #12 Catalina was badly damaged, the mechanics set about the stricken car with saws and tape, returning something resembling a racing car to the track an hour later. In spite of holes and panels flapping in the airflow, the #12 Catalina didn't seem to be too badly affected by the impromptu restyling, turning laps consistently within a tenth of a second of its sister car. In Group A, the two Flamarbols fought a tremendous battle with both DttC cars, ultimately finishing second and third in class ahead of the sole remaining DttC, the #34 GrA R1 retiring halfway through the race after a spectacular engine failure saw the car reduced to ashes on the start-finish straight.

CVR continued their strong showing in the Prototype class, the two green Typhons seemingly happier on the sweeping and fast track than their rivals EMS and NEMW. NEMW's string of bad luck continued here, with both cars retiring due to accident and engine failure, the #993 being a particularly cruel retirement as the car fell just three laps short of classification, while both EMS entries succumbed to engine failure, though with the #78 failing in the last minutes of the race, it had completed the requisite 70% of the class winner's race distance, scoring enough points to cut the Constructor Championship gap between them and NEMW in half.

In Group C, CVR took the top step on the podium, but at the same time showed that the northern English resilience built into their cars does in fact have limits, with the class-leading #84 Geryon Colossus pulling into its pit box in the dying minutes of the race, the smoke pouring out of one of the car's side exhausts implicating a turbocharger had failed. DttC and EMS were able to capitalise on the loss of one of the CVRs, taking second and third place respectively, though they too lost cars to engine failures, both of them during the third hour of the race. This left Flamarbol the opportunity to gain on La Moore and CVR alike in the standings, the Australian team being the only team to run a clean race at the top of the class. NEMW showed tremendous speed as well today, the two Kancamagus GTOs in a wild battle with the two La Moore F1s for sixth through ninth place in class all race long, to the excitement of the boisterous Brazilian crowd. The fight was marred, however, by contact between the #90 La Moore and the #994 NEMW in the run up to the last hour of the race, as both cars were jockeying for space where there simply was none, the Kanacamagus coming out of that battle on the wrong end of the stick. When asked about the incident afterwards, the drivers of both teams acknowledged their role in the incident, but also asserted it was nothing more than a racing incident.

EMS made it three for three in Group B, the Salope Cyclones showing once again that they are almost in another league from the rest of the class, winning easily wire-to-wire a full two laps ahead of the CVRs, both KRGs, the sole competitive Flamarbol and both DttCs. While EMS pulled further and further away, these seven cars traded places all race long, passing and repassing each other as they cycled through their pit stops. This ultimately proved to be the downfall of Flamarbol, as the team needed nine stops to complete the race to their rivals' eight, costing them two and potentially as many as four places when all was said and done. Westward ran a surprisingly competitive race today, finishing in 14th and 15th place ahead of NEMW, Muira Puama and Automurdermotive, their MX Type S exceeding the team's expectations on this challenging track.

In Group A, the #57 EMS Salope Sprint put together a brilliant drive to win the class, finishing a full lap ahead of the two Flamarbols, who in a carbon copy of the Group B battle fought tooth and nail with DttC, KRG and the PADB teams, all eight cars finishing within shouting distance of one another in what proved to be a thrilling race both on and off the track, the teams flexing their racecraft skills in a brilliant tactical battle as well. CVR and La Moore both struggled for pace this afternoon, running well back of the class leaders, with further misfortune for the Australians as the #91 570 Brisbanello withdrew after an engine failure, denying the team the opportunity to close the gap in the standings. Elsewhere in the class, FISH ran a clean race, their misfortunes in the first two rounds seemingly forgotten now, as that team begins their recovery efforts for the season, though with the likes of Hurricane, Muira Puama and LATOY all running strong races too, and with Westward closing in on them in the standings, they definitely have their work cut out for them.

Top Fives:

Race Results:

Current Revision Points:

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

Danny Glands posted:

The first one, since I think going to a V8 made me a bit heavier than other cars in my classes

OK, so I've gone through and mined some data out of the simulation, and I've come up with average, high and low weights and engine outputs from each class as it is right now:

Group A

Engine Output
Max - 420
Min - 279
Avg - 345

Weight
Max - 1266
Min - 680
Avg - 977.5

Group B

Engine Output
Max - 619
Min - 378
Avg - 511.5

Weight
Max - 1419
Min - 906
Avg - 1130.7

Group C

Engine Output
Max - 789
Min - 429
Avg - 673.4

Weight
Max - 1452
Min - 827
Avg - 1210.8

For the Prototypes, since there's only three of us I won't be giving max and mins, but the averages are 948.7 horsepower and 1105.3 kilograms.

I should also note that no entry has both maximum power and minimum weight in any class, so take this information with a grain of salt...

MrChips fucked around with this message at 03:38 on Oct 12, 2017

Kafouille
Nov 5, 2004

Think Fast !
Haha, never even got a podium finish, nevermind a win, yet KRG is leading the Class A championship :toot:

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

Look, seeing what you two are doing for engines, I can pretty much fuckin' guarantee I'm at the minimum weight and power for the PC class. I also am willing to bet the Gran Vitesse is at or tied for maximum boost of anything entered in any class. :D Other than that, looks like I'm at about average horsepower and below average weight for everything else.

Did heavy revisions to my PC car this morning (we all know what race is next week) and some to the C... ironically the simple "turn the rev limit down" change to the engine cost less lap time than a more radical "less stroke / moar turbo". I wish it was able to tolerate less reliability though, I had the C within a couple hundredths of 1:58 flat at the ATT but it's pretty clear that having a car that, you know, finishes races is proooooobably more important.

Still torn on the A car. There's not enough pace to run away from the stuff more optimized for reliability conclusively enough to do well in the points, and there's no enough reliability to outlast the stuff that's a bit faster. At least the B car is doing well; that was what I was worried most about as of two weeks ago.

Pursesnatcher
Oct 23, 2016

Muira Puama should be more competitive going forward; a couple of tweaks should see to that. The SPEEDSTER SUPER FRIENDLY SUPER CAR will be trickier though; even by going away from the "Class A legal in everything but economy" mantra, bridging the gap to even the CVR whose engine died is going to be a proper bitch. Hmmmm....

Dance Officer
May 4, 2017

It would be awesome if we could dance!

Pursesnatcher posted:

Muira Puama should be more competitive going forward; a couple of tweaks should see to that. The SPEEDSTER SUPER FRIENDLY SUPER CAR will be trickier though; even by going away from the "Class A legal in everything but economy" mantra, bridging the gap to even the CVR whose engine died is going to be a proper bitch. Hmmmm....

I would like to have a look at the speedster. See if there's anything I can do to improve it within the constraints of the body.

Danny Glands
Jan 26, 2013

What's Westward's revision points?

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

THRILLER - Flamarbol Wins As EMS, DttC Clash Spectacularly In Portugal

ESTORIL - Flamarbol continued their return to form in the 6 Hours of Estoril this afternoon, winning a thrilling Group A battle with EMS and DttC, ending only when both EMS and DttC ran out of fuel on the very last lap during a thrilling wheel-to-wheel battle, handing the victory to the #20 Catalina, running close behind in third place. The crowd was on their feet for the last half hour of the race, after it became clear after the last round of pit stops that the #57 EMS might have a chance to reel in and catch not only the Catalina, but also potentially the class-leading #34 DttC as well. With each lap, the gap between EMS and the two front runners close, overtaking the Catalina on Lap 160, the driver focusing in on the bright red machine only seven seconds ahead, and with the Salope Sprint lapping half a second faster than the DttC, the possiblity of a frantic, last-lap battle for the class lead materialised, but at the cost of both cars dipping into their fuel reserves, trying to eke out one extra lap out of their fuel. It became increasingly clear that there was a good chance neither car would make it, both cars starting to misfire and sputter on the last corners of their penultimate lap, neither team willing to give up an inch of space in their desperate attempt to win. On their 175th and final lap, fate had enough of the two frontrunners pushing their luck, with both cars running out of gas on the run up the hill on the back straight, the Flamarbol flying past both of them as the DttC driver climbed out of his car and attempted to push it up the hill in a desperate attempt to somehow gain a place on EMS.

Behind this epic battle, KRG once again ran a safe and comfortable race, not getting caught up in the madness ahead of them and reaping the reward of a fourth and fifth place finish. With their incredible run of consistently good results, KRG added once again to their Constructor Championship standings, now sitting on 464 points to second-place CVR's 442. On the topic of the British team, CVR struggled for pace on this challenging track, finishing seventh and eighth behind the two KRGs and the #91 La Moore, but critically for them ahead of the #58 EMS, the drivers of that car struggling to find pace on this track for some reason. PADB also struggled with pace here in Portugal, the team still confident they can still put their car on the podium given the right set of circumstances. Westward matched their season-best finishes from Rio de Janeiro, their cars coming in twelfth and thirteenth places for a second straight race, the team principal upbeat in interviews following the race when discussing the possibility of upgrades coming in the not-too distant future.

in Group B, EMS made it four straight wins with the #81 Salope Cyclone, but the loss of the #80 early in the race to an apparent engine failure opened the door for Flamarbol to take the last two steps of the podium, the team revitalised and riding a wave of momentum from their strong finishes across the board the last couple of races. CVR pipped DttC and KRG for fourth place, the team running a flawless race after losing the #63 Geryon Aristo to a turbocharger failure. When asked if there was a connection between this turbo failure and the failure that ended the #84 Group C entry's race in Rio three weeks ago, CVR's team principal spat on the ground and roared off into a profanity-laced diatribe about how "fuckin' Jerry sent us a lot of dodgy turbos", then proceeded to insult the lineage of the Germans who built the turbos, German people in general, their ability to fight, their inability to make proper beer and how "the boys are going to whip their jammy arses in the World Cup this summer, mate, so all's well that ends well, innit?"

In the best battle of the class, DttC and KRG traded spots all race long, with the Dutch team just able to hold off the two bright orange Altjezzas for fifth and sixth in class. Hurricane rounded out the top ten, with La Moore a lap behind, that team struggling to find its form in the last couple of races after a strong start at Daytona back in January.

CVR took their third win of the season in Group C, taking the top two spots in a dominant performance, finishing a full lap ahead of EMS and DttC. As in Group A, EMS and DttC did not disappoint the fans of either team, putting together a frenetic battle for third through fifth places. EMS just barely edged the Dutch team, their pace able to make up for the two additional pitstops the needed to take the final spot on the podium, though fourth and fifth came down to a drag race to the finish line, the #65 Salope Superbe finishing a mere fifteen hundredths of a second ahead of the #56 DttC. This epic battle cost the #55 DttC its race with only an hour remaining, the driver missing a shift and destroying the GrC R4's V12 on the back straight, costing the team a valuable opportunity to put some distance between them and EMS, and to close the gap with Speedster and LATOY ahead, as both those teams finished well back this race.

CVR's two Prototypes made it four straight 1-2 finishes today, beating the #77 EMS Gran Vitesse by two full laps, the #78 stopped in the garage with an apparent engine failure, the car having completed enough laps to be classified regardless. NEMW held their position in the Constructor Championship with a 4-5 finish, losing only one point to the EMS team after their difficult race.

Top Fives:

Race Results:

Revision Points:

Dance Officer
May 4, 2017

Mrchips can you tell me the reliability numbers of the GrC on your end? I've had 3 engine failures now and based on my own reliability figures there's a less than 1% chance of this having happened. Something might have gone wrong with the export/import.

Pursesnatcher
Oct 23, 2016

Dance Officer posted:

I would like to have a look at the speedster. See if there's anything I can do to improve it within the constraints of the body.

If you want to, I wouldn't mind at all. Maybe MrChips can give it to you? For the current revision I think I went pretty hog wild with quality points, so engineering cost is outside Class A spec, but other than that I think there's a lot of room to improve it. Anything I try just end up adding several seconds to lap times, though.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

Dance Officer posted:

Mrchips can you tell me the reliability numbers of the GrC on your end? I've had 3 engine failures now and based on my own reliability figures there's a less than 1% chance of this having happened. Something might have gone wrong with the export/import.

Your Group C reliability is above average - you've just been exceptionally unlucky so far. There are also a couple of teams who have been the exact opposite as well - I expect all of this to even out by the end of the challenge, don't worry.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

THE RAIN IN SPAIN - CVR, EMS Dominates As KRG Notches First Win At Rain-Soaked Jerez

JEREZ - Poor weather played a major role in the Jerez 6 Hours this afternoon, paving the way for KRG's first win of the 1990 campaign. The skies were leaden as the grid formed up before the race, the track drying after a shower passed through about an hour before start time, some teams opting to start their cars on intermediate tires, while others, such as EMS, CVR and LATOY, gambled that slicks would quickly become the correct option. As it turned out, neither was the completely correct selection, as a light drizzle began to fall on the track a few minutes after the start, prolonging the drying period as the track condition hovered around the threshold between where each tire would be more effective for the better part of an hour. This of course caused the teams considerable grief during the opening laps of the race, as a big accident occurred after the #28 LATOY RM2000-90 Group C car pressured the #63 CVR Group B to spin on the exit of Turn 5, the CVR making contact with the #20 Flamarbol Catalina A, sending that car into the wall and narrowly avoiding taking out the #17 LATOY TM2000 Group A car. After the carnage was cleared up, the race resumed in earnest, with the CVR Prototypes storming off into the distance as the track began to dry. The weather held of until the fourth hour, when a band of showers rolled in and soaked the track very quickly, sending teams scrambling to get their cars set properly for a protracted period of rain, and sending others into the barriers.

In the end, the CVR Prototypes continued their dominance of the class, keeping the team's perfect record intact. However, the turbocharger issues that plagued the British team the last two races did not stop here, as the #3 Typhon had to pull in for what appeared to be some sort of a boost control issue, pulling into the garage out of the overall lead on the 97th lap as the driver complained of "no boost". EMS was able to capitalise on CVR's misfortune, finishing second for the first time this year, while both NEMWs managed to finish the race, in spite of a late accident involving the #993 Neponset.

NEMW surprised everyone in Group C, with the two Kancamagus GTOs taking their first podium finishes of the season behind the #84 CVR Geryon Colossus, with the two NEMWs closing rapidly on the CVR. The British team's other car got caught up in a single-car accident on Lap 110 as the rain started to fall heavily once again, dashing the team's hopes for a fifth straight 1-2 finish in class. Both DttCs rounded out the top 5, with the two EMS Salope Superbes felled by an early engine failure in the #66 car, and a late accident trying to avoid the #993 NEMW Prototype spearing off the track taking out the #65, that car stopped having completed the requisite race distance. La Moore and Flamarbol had testy battle on the track, though the two Flamarbols backed off later in the race as the conditions had deteriorated so much that they could not run close to the sole remaining La Moore during the last two hours.

In Group B, EMS made it five for five with their win today, in a dominant display of speed and racecraft, finishing a full two laps ahead of both Flamarbols and the #45 DttC. Hurricane lived up to their namesake this afternoon, finishing a season-high seventh and eighth in class after a thrilling battle with the two KRGs. CVR struggled in the rain, the drivers complaining that their Geryon Aristos were "skittish and almost undriveable" in the wet; the two accidents they were involved in seem to bear this out, especially in the case of the #64 car, who crashed spectacularly at the high-speed Ferrari Curve in the second hour, with the car just barely driveable following the shunt, but in need of serious repair back in the garage. The team scrambled to repair the damaged car, knowing the rain was coming to slow the field dramatically, but in the end the car was unable to complete enough laps to classify. Westward matched their season-high finish, coming in just behind the remaining competitive CVR and ahead of both NEMWs, who struggled to find adequate pace in these challenging conditions.

After four races of steady, careful drives, KRG was finally rewarded for their patience with a convincing 1-2 finish in Group A, the team's first victory of the season, and also the fifth different Group A team to win in as many rounds of the Championship. The #57 EMS took their third straight podium finish, just ahead of a ferocious gaggle of cars fighting tooth and nail for the next six spots, with both CVRs, La Moores and DttCs dicing and sliding around each other, jockeying for position in a tremendous battle, with the #34 DttC prevailing from this group. PADB and Hurricane too fought tooth and nail for tenth place, though the superior speed of the two Peruns proved to be enough to best the superior range and tire wear of the two Harvey GrAs, at times the Peruns lapping as fast as the class-leading cars. Automurdermotive and Westward too had an exciting on-track battle, though this was as much between each driver as it was between the two teams; in the dying laps of the race, the #129 Bad Monkey, frustrated by what they felt were a number of unfair blocking moves by their slower teammates in the #128 car, loosened up the #128 car by bumping it through the second corner, spinning the car and sending it into the wall, effectively ending their race. It remains to be seen what the fallout from this will be, both within the team and from the stewards, but the hostile reactions between the two drivers more than make clear their new attitudes toward one another.

Top Fives:

Race Results:

Revision Points:

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

First race all my cars managed to finish (despite the 993's best efforts)

Dance Officer
May 4, 2017

Pursesnatcher posted:

If you want to, I wouldn't mind at all. Maybe MrChips can give it to you? For the current revision I think I went pretty hog wild with quality points, so engineering cost is outside Class A spec, but other than that I think there's a lot of room to improve it. Anything I try just end up adding several seconds to lap times, though.

I found the body easily, and set about building a group C car with it. Carbon fibre body, ludicrously powerful V6, AWD. Spent about half an hour tuning it, it's now a 1020kg that does the Automation test track in 2:00:42 with room for improvement.

Pursesnatcher
Oct 23, 2016

Dance Officer posted:

I found the body easily, and set about building a group C car with it. Carbon fibre body, ludicrously powerful V6, AWD. Spent about half an hour tuning it, it's now a 1020kg that does the Automation test track in 2:00:42 with room for improvement.

I don't get it. With AWD, I can't get the test track below 2:09, and that's with an engine where I just ignored the rules and set everything to maximum quality. Race-legal, my AWD attempts end up around 2:12 at best, so I don't really think the engine is the issue.

Dance Officer
May 4, 2017

Pursesnatcher posted:

I don't get it. With AWD, I can't get the test track below 2:09, and that's with an engine where I just ignored the rules and set everything to maximum quality. Race-legal, my AWD attempts end up around 2:12 at best, so I don't really think the engine is the issue.

How did you set up the engine, transverse or longitudinal? Oh, and does your engine use a gigantic turbo to get to it's power rating? That's what Boksi did for his Group B entry and when I plonked my own Group B engine in, times seriously improved.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

mekilljoydammit, I am having problems with a bunch of your entries again; your Group C entry is wigging out again (loading properly every other time only) and now your tuned variant of Chiwie's Group B entry is doing the same; also, your Group A entry is unreadable - it tries to load a UVMesh that isn't there on one of the fixtures and crashes to desktop.

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

MrChips posted:

mekilljoydammit, I am having problems with a bunch of your entries again; your Group C entry is wigging out again (loading properly every other time only) and now your tuned variant of Chiwie's Group B entry is doing the same; also, your Group A entry is unreadable - it tries to load a UVMesh that isn't there on one of the fixtures and crashes to desktop.

I got your message on dropbox and responded there. I want to make it completely clear that this isn't directed at you - I know you can't go through and screw with every little thing nor read intent, and appreciate being given the chance to work through this stuff.

That said, this game, just what in the gently caress.

I changed zero fixtures on the A car between last week's and the new version - I widened the rear fenders to accept wider tires allowed by the new weight, put a new engine family in it, and tweaked the suspension and stuff a bit. I have no mods installed other than the high quality essentials pack in the second post, nor have I ever installed any other mods, and other than the wheels, the entire design of the car was last touched, fixture-wise, before I installed that mod. And the GrC car is glitching on my computer too and I can't figure out why.

I tried re-exporting the A car again this morning - if that doesn't work and the C is still being a pain in the rear end, exclude them from Spa (not fair holding everyone else up) and in about 8-9 hours when I'm home from work I'll nuke my Automation install and redo the A and C cars.

Chiwie
Oct 21, 2010

DROP YOUR COAT AND GRAB YOUR TOES, I'LL SHOW YOU WHERE THE WILD GOOSE GOES!!!!
I had some funky stuff going on with cooling aero changing each time I loaded my entries. Dunno if that's related to the problems you guys are having.

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

Chiwie posted:

I had some funky stuff going on with cooling aero changing each time I loaded my entries. Dunno if that's related to the problems you guys are having.

Yeah, that's the issue I'm having with the C car.

Pursesnatcher
Oct 23, 2016

Dance Officer posted:

How did you set up the engine, transverse or longitudinal? Oh, and does your engine use a gigantic turbo to get to it's power rating? That's what Boksi did for his Group B entry and when I plonked my own Group B engine in, times seriously improved.

Transverse, and usually no turbo. I did manage one V6 design where I could fit a medium/small turbo, but didn't really do much. With AWD, my acceleration line is stuck at 50% of the G which the grip can handle all the way up until high speeds, when engine finally dips low enough to make a dent.

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

OK, just remade the A and C trims of my car by taking the B trim and plopping the engine from the A and C trims in and fiddling all the sliders to where they were on the A and C trims. I did not touch the fixture tab at all. I'm hoping that since the GrB trim has been problem-free, this will just fix things.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

SASC-90 Week 2 Preview

Spa 6-Hours

Set in the mountains of Belgium, Circuit Spa-Francorchamps is a fast, challenging track with long straights, sweeping high-speed corners and considerable elevation change. Weather is often a factor at this race.

Silverstone 6 Hours

Round 7 will be at the historic Silverstone Circuit in the UK, the first of two races in that country. Flat, with sweeping bends and long straights, Silverstone is one of the fastest tracks in the entire SASC Championship, and likely will be the best-attended 6-hour race of the entire season; Silverstone is, after all, the de-facto heart of British motorsport, and the surrounding area is home to a substantial part of the global motorsport industry.

Brands Hatch 12 Hours

The second British round of the SASC takes place in idyllic Kent, just southeast of London, on one of the most beloved and historic race tracks in all of Europe. While this is one of the shortest tracks run in the SASC, at just under 4 kilometres in length, it will still pose a tremedous challenge for drivers and cars alike, with elevation changes and blind, multi-apex corners abound.

Le Mans 24 Hours
(Note: we will be running the layout of Le Mans accurate to the time period of the race in 1990, with the orignal, gentle Dunlop chicane)

The granddaddy of them all - the longest, hardest and most prestigious race in the entire SASC Championship, the famous 24 Hours of Le Mans. cars, drivers and teams will be pushed to the absolute limit here; expect lots of drama.

Week 2 concludes at the Hockenheimring in southwest Germany. This is the fastest track in the entire SASC Championship, with the Prototypes expected to lap at an average speed approaching 205 kilometres per hour. Beyond anything else, horsepower matters here.

Revision Status:

Week 3 Weather Forecasts:

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

DEADLOCK BROKEN? - CVR Dominates Top Classes, Flamarbol First To Repeat In Group A

SPA - CVR put on a dominant display under leaden skies at Circuit Spa-Francorchamps today in the sixth round of the SASC Championship, with the Bradford-based team winning overall and taking the Group C victory for the sixth time in a row. EMS ran strong as well in what is arguably their home race, with the SASC bypassing France for a second year in a row, taking their sixth 1-2 finish in Group B, and finishing on the podium in every class. This gave the team a much-needed boost, as their new Group A entry fell victim to delays at the workshop, and will not debut until the next round at Silverstone. DttC, the other team arguably at their home race as well, ran strong in all classes as well, taking a third-place finish in Group B and two fourths in Groups A and C respectively. In spite of the strong finish in Group B, DttC continued their streak of bad luck, with the #45 GrB crashing on the last lap as the two EMSes took the lead on the run through Pouhon, and the sister #44 car stopped in the garage with some sort of engine failure.

The weather was, as mentioned above, a major factor in this race, with the start made on a very wet track, with the conditions deteriorating for the first hour or so, when the rain stopped and the winds picked up, drying the track fairly quickly, only for a small shower to roll through during the fourth and fifth hour. The poor conditions were to blame for a massive accident at La Source on the first lap, with five cars - the #8 Flamarbol Group C, the #99 Hurricane Group B, the #997 NEMW Group B, the #75 Westward Group B and the #69 Hurricane Group A all taking damage in the first-corner incident. For the #75 Westward, the damage proved fatal ultimately as the car sustained damage to one of its oil coolers and was forced to retire on the 90th lap with an engine failure stemming directly from the incident. Shortly after racing resumed, the class-leading #83 CVR Group C car crashed at Stavelot, avoiding a massive impact with the wall but taking a considerable amount of damage in the process, effectively ending that car's race.

In Group A, Flamarbol shone in the challenging conditions, taking a decisive 1-2 finish a full lap ahead of EMS, the two Catalinas being the only cars in class setting lap times below the 3-minute mark. With their recent successes, Flamarbol is showing considerable momentum with only four races left before the mid-season break, and the Australian team is not looking to sit back on their laurels either, with the possibility of more upgrades in the future to shore up the reliability issues that plagued the team in the first three rounds of the SASC Championship. Among the other frontrunners, KRG ran a strong race, their fifth and seventh place finishes opening up more of a lead over second-place CVR in the Constructor Standings, that team finishing eighth and ninth, the team never really finding the pace that they wanted all weekend long. PADB, Hurricane and Westward fought a tremendous battle, along with the #58 EMS, for tenth through sixteenth places in Group A, with teams rising to the front of the pack, only to be overtaken by their rivals all race long, or to bow out of contention after accidents or engine failures cruelly reared their ugly heads.

Top Fives:

Race Results:

Season Standings (click for larger):

Revision Points Standings:

Danny Glands
Jan 26, 2013

Excuse me, but I do not see Westward in that revision points list.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

Thank you for responding so quickly to fix your entries mekilljoydammit, everything seems to be working at least to a level that is workable at least.

As for the problem, well it seems to be associated with the NACA duct fixtures not properly calculating their cooling values from their morphing values (the amount you stretch, shrink or rotate the fixtures). The crappy thing is that these fixtures are not mods either!

Danny Glands posted:

Excuse me, but I do not see Westward in that revision points list.

Oh shoot...I have no idea how that happened, but I missed you in ALL of the races so far! Don't worry, it will be fixed (with you're current, correct amount of revision points) for the next race.

Dance Officer
May 4, 2017

Pursesnatcher posted:

Transverse, and usually no turbo. I did manage one V6 design where I could fit a medium/small turbo, but didn't really do much. With AWD, my acceleration line is stuck at 50% of the G which the grip can handle all the way up until high speeds, when engine finally dips low enough to make a dent.

Definitely switch to longitudinal.

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

MrChips posted:

Thank you for responding so quickly to fix your entries mekilljoydammit, everything seems to be working at least to a level that is workable at least.

As for the problem, well it seems to be associated with the NACA duct fixtures not properly calculating their cooling values from their morphing values (the amount you stretch, shrink or rotate the fixtures). The crappy thing is that these fixtures are not mods either!

I'm just glad it's fixed - even if it's not at the lap times I developed to, I can try to make it faster later. Now that I have the new family homologated, do I have to pay 100 points every trim that switches over? May try something.

Dance Officer
May 4, 2017

The results for this race list my Group B car as having reached third, but it gives me points for 6th place!

And my GrA got 9th and 10th on Sebring, but has 9th and 11th place in the scoring sheet.

And on Rio de Janeiro my GrA got 4th but received points for 6th.

And on Jerez the GrA got 8th but received points for 9th.

Dance Officer fucked around with this message at 14:12 on Oct 17, 2017

Pursesnatcher
Oct 23, 2016

Dance Officer posted:

Definitely switch to longitudinal.

Ah uh, yes, I would, but the option is grayed out. But! I'll be trying some more! This is exciting no matter where my cars end up!

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

mekilljoydammit posted:

I'm just glad it's fixed - even if it's not at the lap times I developed to, I can try to make it faster later. Now that I have the new family homologated, do I have to pay 100 points every trim that switches over? May try something.

Now that your new engine is homologated, each new variant will cost 25 revision points each, taken from the new engine's pool of revision points. That said, you don't exactly have that at the moment...:v:

Dance Officer posted:

The results for this race list my Group B car as having reached third, but it gives me points for 6th place!

And my GrA got 9th and 10th on Sebring, but has 9th and 11th place in the scoring sheet.

And on Rio de Janeiro my GrA got 4th but received points for 6th.

And on Jerez the GrA got 8th but received points for 9th.

I will look into this...something is clearly wrong with the scoring algorithm if this is the case. Are these the only cases this happened to your entry?

MrChips fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Oct 17, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dance Officer
May 4, 2017

MrChips posted:

I will look into this...something is clearly wrong with the scoring algorithm if this is the case. Are these the only cases this happened to your entry?

I checked all my positions and points for all races. Most of them are correct but the ones I listed are obviously wrong.

At the very least, the scorecard consistenly assigns the right scores for the position it assigns you(if you placed 6th but got listed for 9th it assigns points for 9th)

Dance Officer fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Oct 17, 2017

• Locked thread