Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

Right now, the biggest meta swings are going to happen I feel like either in top or in botlane. We've seen pretty much every support that has a heal/shield reliable enough to proc Censer (Taric, Lulu, Janna, Rakan) outside of Soraka. Ali's old heal would have been loving stupid with Censer but as it is now it's not that good to get censer on him I feel, and barring that, who else do you pick? The old Morg/Leona/Thresh trifecta? A pocket Blitzcrank to get those SICK support pickoffs?

Toplane is neat because we've already seen Khan loving break out Nasus and that went so crazy I'm almost expecting to see it again during week 2 so

e: I lied we still haven't seen Karma yet I don't think, and Mantra E + Censer is probably one of the stupidest possible engages you could pull off.

Monathin fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Oct 9, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

i dont think there was a meta reason for Nasus and i am pretty sure it was a really good meme to style on soaz with a dog champ. if there was a meta reason i am disappointed because the disrespect level on that if he was memeing is basically as high as you can get, especially considering the dismantling

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

rabidsquid posted:

i dont think there was a meta reason for Nasus and i am pretty sure it was a really good meme to style on soaz with a dog champ. if there was a meta reason i am disappointed because the disrespect level on that if he was memeing is basically as high as you can get, especially considering the dismantling

true, that's a good point, I should never count out the fact that sometimes you just really, really need to tilt Soaz off the face of the earth

Max Coveri
Dec 23, 2015

by Athanatos
I'm so happy that the one Chinese team doing great at Worlds is the one without any Koreans in it.

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004
RNG has Samsung in their group though...

e: o

henkman
Oct 8, 2008

Firebert posted:

RNG has Samsung in their group though...

I read it this way at first too, but I think they mean no Korean players on their team

Max Coveri
Dec 23, 2015

by Athanatos

henkman posted:

I read it this way at first too, but I think they mean no Korean players on their team

Exactly. Also no one can say they dodged or cheesed Koreans during groups, as evidenced by their corncobbing of Samsung in week 1.

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

Libertine posted:

The main problem with group draws is that winning any non-Korean region is basically not an indicator of power but the groups are drafted as though it is. Like the champion of Europe being a long-shot 3rd place team in a group of 4 teams is the product of that and that's probably people's main dissatisfaction. Not really sure how you rectify that though, if you put literally any Western team into that group they would also be expected to finish 3rd.

So here's the issue: the tournament treats all major regions the same. In practice and in the eyes of the audience, this is not the case. There isn't really an elegant way around it.
Do you have a worlds without Korea? Do you work on a handicap? You would have to work out a tournament structure that punishes success in order to even the playing field.

I think we are all wanting to address the question of how to improve the regions such that there is more parity. I am now convinced that the issue is coaching. However, I don't know how to improve that aspect to a respectable level. Repeared came over and C9 seems somehow more lost in general. Imports generally don't make major splashes despite being top class performers (Ssumday...), which may be partially explained by a language barrier.

I want to stop before I ramble too much.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Korean solo queue being the worlds best source of up and coming players AND helping the region suppress salaries is just something the rest of the world cant account for. teams in no other major region can treat players the same way and also dont have access to the same talent pool of potential players, who have already been conditioned to expect to work too hard for not enough money and be totally replaceable

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.
You could take KT Rolster's entire coaching staff and roster and put them in NA but there's a good chance after a year they'll stop stomping the region because they're not playing against the best teams in the world anymore, the solo queue is much different, and teams will be adjusting to KT and the gap squashes together rather than closes.

Riot should open the borders of Korea to all teams from all regions, make 4 groups of 20 and let them play all year and then maybe the Championships will start looking more competitive. NA should have become a super region during their franchising anyway it's not like it really matters who wins NA they're never going to win another major tournament

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
They should do more LMQ experiments by sending middle tier teams between regions. Let one NALCS and EULCS team play in Korea every split, and bring in underperforming Korean/Chinese teams to EU and NA.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.

Reality Winner posted:

They should do more LMQ experiments by sending middle tier teams between regions. Let one NALCS and EULCS team play in Korea every split, and bring in underperforming Korean/Chinese teams to EU and NA.
During Season 2 Dignitas and CLG/CLG.eu + World Elite participated in OGN Champions Summer and OGN had no problem with foreign teams playing in Korea until Riot took it over and said no more (Even during Champions Winter which happened before LCS started)

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

*stands dramatically* No, I'm sleeping kevan.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Monathin posted:

I lied we still haven't seen Karma yet I don't think, and Mantra E + Censer is probably one of the stupidest possible engages you could pull off.

I genuinely doubt we're going to see Karma much, if at all, because the nerfs absolutely dumpstered her shield value. Considering she brings next to nothing to the table except that shield past the laning phase, you'd have to see every other Ardent support banned out before she's picked. I'd frankly expect to see support Lux make an appearance before support Karma.

Action George
Apr 13, 2013
Karma's been picked 3 times already so we'll definitely see her sporadically. Only win so far was LZ vs IMT.

Max Coveri
Dec 23, 2015

by Athanatos

Reality Winner posted:

:agreed:

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004
Yeah we are definitely going to see more Karma, especially if (Korean) teams are holding back mid/top/support picks for quarters/semis

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Crazy Larry posted:

Karma's been picked 3 times already so we'll definitely see her sporadically. Only win so far was LZ vs IMT.

That was the game where Gorilla got absolutely monstered. Maybe it was just an off game, but I really dislike how little she brings post-level 6 compared to other enchanter supports.

KicksYouInHalf
Aug 6, 2007

National tragedy.

Shadow225 posted:

I think we are all wanting to address the question of how to improve the regions such that there is more parity. I am now convinced that the issue is coaching. However, I don't know how to improve that aspect to a respectable level. Repeared came over and C9 seems somehow more lost in general.

Wait in what world does this iteration of c9 look more lost than the 7th place team that reverse swept its way to worlds then could literally only play one strat in season 5?

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

because in spite of how much fun it was to make fun of meteos contractz has way worse jungle pathing and C9 still hasnt figured out how to play around mid and top so they just tend to ramble about the map aimlessly hoping to win team fights

KicksYouInHalf
Aug 6, 2007

National tragedy.
I mean i liked meteos and all but it was basically a meme how he was late to every countergank at the international level.

World beaters they ain't but if you seriously think the macro play of s6/s7 C9 is worse than when their win conditions were fast push+baron rush @20 in s5, I'm not sure how to respond. I can see the argument about contractz pathing but he is also a dumb rear end rookie. I don't think Reapered is the best coach ever but I think they are objectively better now than when they were still trying to get by with Lemon's notebook and Hai's feed to win play style.

E: I seriously can't get over how bad s5 worlds c9 were. They were seriously the worst team na has sent to worlds since MAYBE Vulcun or TSM in s3.

KicksYouInHalf fucked around with this message at 07:46 on Oct 10, 2017

im old rick bitch
Oct 19, 2004

How does it feel?
karma has just been nerfed so hard at this point the pick is worthless. something stupid like sona or soraka might actually be better atm.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

is the patch live that would allow stoneborn pact ashe to buff herself and her adc with ardent censer

Lovechop
Feb 1, 2005

cheers mate

rabidsquid posted:

is the patch live that would allow stoneborn pact ashe to buff herself and her adc with ardent censer

if gorilla smashes that one out he will officially be the greatest player of all time

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

rabidsquid posted:

Not for Worlds sadly.

Lovechop
Feb 1, 2005

cheers mate
alphari's name is Barney Morris

Sexpansion
Mar 22, 2003

DELETED
Karma is fine, Gorilla will still play it and will be good

Max Coveri
Dec 23, 2015

by Athanatos

Sexpansion posted:

Karma is fine, Gorilla will still play it and will be good

Gorilla is cool and his name starts with a "G" for "great". He can make anything work in the botlane.

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

KicksYouInHalf posted:

Wait in what world does this iteration of c9 look more lost than the 7th place team that reverse swept its way to worlds then could literally only play one strat in season 5?

I would call that iteration of C9 limited more than anything, with one player who didn't really want to play pro anymore, one player experiencing growing pains from his first year, and another who role swapped badly and desperately needed a break. Sure, they could only run one strat, but they at least adherred to that and ran it decisively in spite of the talent they were pushing out.

This iteration of C9 basically depends on the fact that Impact and Jensen are better than most of their contemporaries later in the game. They stall games out much longer than needed because they can't make confident decisions on what to do on the map. Instead, they turtle up, wait for a teamfight so that Impact and Jensen can pop off, then they will grab a free objective on the death timers. Rinse and repeat.

I legit believe that if this comp gave Hai a 6th mic, the ~ shot calling ~ would make them better. As I stated in the post where that was said, I think part of that is Impact not being a native English speaker.

All of that said, the game I saw C9 play this worlds had a really clean baron, and they just looked more decisive in general. Credit where credit is due.

Max Coveri
Dec 23, 2015

by Athanatos

KicksYouInHalf posted:

XiaoWeiXiao boosts some solo queue randoms in China to get the money Impulse never gave him, he gets banned for a year.

Hai boosts his entire team to Worlds, he gets away scot-free.

Schnorkles
Apr 30, 2015

It's a little bit juvenile, but it's simple and it's timeless.

We let it be known that Schnorkles, for a snack, eats tiny pieces of shit.

You're picturing it and you're talking about it. That's a win in my book.

Shadow225 posted:

I would call that iteration of C9 limited more than anything, with one player who didn't really want to play pro anymore, one player experiencing growing pains from his first year, and another who role swapped badly and desperately needed a break. Sure, they could only run one strat, but they at least adherred to that and ran it decisively in spite of the talent they were pushing out.

This iteration of C9 basically depends on the fact that Impact and Jensen are better than most of their contemporaries later in the game. They stall games out much longer than needed because they can't make confident decisions on what to do on the map. Instead, they turtle up, wait for a teamfight so that Impact and Jensen can pop off, then they will grab a free objective on the death timers. Rinse and repeat.

I legit believe that if this comp gave Hai a 6th mic, the ~ shot calling ~ would make them better. As I stated in the post where that was said, I think part of that is Impact not being a native English speaker.

All of that said, the game I saw C9 play this worlds had a really clean baron, and they just looked more decisive in general. Credit where credit is due.

c9 looked pretty good against both ahq and edg but i have faith that they will detonate spectacularly in week 2

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

Schnorkles posted:

c9 looked pretty good against both ahq and edg but i have faith that they will detonate spectacularly in week 2

0-11 the dream

Taciturn Tactician
Jan 27, 2011

The secret to good health is a balanced diet and unstable healing radiation
Lipstick Apathy

Schnorkles posted:

C9 can usually be relied on to invoke the spirit of Build Me Up Buttercup so I'm predicting they'll go 1-2 after going 2-1, then limp out of groups and fail completely in their first match outside of it.

Schnorkles
Apr 30, 2015

It's a little bit juvenile, but it's simple and it's timeless.

We let it be known that Schnorkles, for a snack, eats tiny pieces of shit.

You're picturing it and you're talking about it. That's a win in my book.

Monathin posted:

0-11 the dream

:hai:

Work Friend Keven
Oct 24, 2015

I'M A BIG STUPID IDIOT WHO GETS TRIGGERED FROM THE WORDS SPORTS BALL AND HAS SHIT OPINIONS ABOUT CARD GAMES. ALSO I SAID I WAS GOING TO QUIT HEARTHSTONE OUT OF SPITE OF A TAIWANESE WINNING THE CHAMPIONSHIP SO REPORT ME IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A HS THREAD
All 3 NA teams will make it out of groups. The time of dreams has ended. Now... a mans justice must be realized!

Lovechop
Feb 1, 2005

cheers mate
hey guys, im just checking in now to say that i won't be watching tonight's games, because i'll probably be asleep at the time they are played. thank you all

Sexpansion
Mar 22, 2003

DELETED

Lovechop posted:

hey guys, im just checking in now to say that i won't be watching tonight's games, because i'll probably be asleep at the time they are played. thank you all

They start earlier tonight!

Omnikin
May 29, 2007

Press 'E' for Medic

Sexpansion posted:

They start earlier tonight!

Well maybe Lovechop has a big day tomorrow, did you ever think about that??

Work Friend Keven
Oct 24, 2015

I'M A BIG STUPID IDIOT WHO GETS TRIGGERED FROM THE WORDS SPORTS BALL AND HAS SHIT OPINIONS ABOUT CARD GAMES. ALSO I SAID I WAS GOING TO QUIT HEARTHSTONE OUT OF SPITE OF A TAIWANESE WINNING THE CHAMPIONSHIP SO REPORT ME IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A HS THREAD

Lovechop posted:

Me neither but this week I will be lending my power to America during my sleep

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maguoob
Dec 26, 2012

Monathin posted:

0-11 the dream

Wouldn't 0-12 be the dream? Though I haven't looked to see if NA can go 0-9 and then have C9, IMT, & TSM end up in tie breakers and then lose those.