Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí
peep these advanced fuckin stats:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dirk Pitt
Sep 14, 2007

haha yes, this feels good

Toilet Rascal
I'm the 12 MLS players selected over the age of 30.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Polidoro posted:

i just realized peru scored from an indirect free kick and it only counted because ospina touched it. he should fly straight to london and never go back to colombia.

lmao

generally I prefer
Apr 17, 2006

Shrapnig posted:

Arena was impressed about the energy of the Trinidad team that literally had nothing to play for.

Some history for you:

http://www.cnc3.co.tt/press-release/sweet-revenge-28-years-later-tt-knock-us-out-world-cup-final

quote:

Twenty-eight years ago, on November 19th, 1989, Trinidad and Tobago's Strike Squad needed only a draw to qualify for the 1990 World Cup Final in Italy.

But in a heart-wrenching game at the Hasely Crawford Stadium, the United States won 1-0 to knock T&T out of the World Cup.

Tonight, Trinidad and Tobago's Soca Warriors have returned the favour.

orange sky
May 7, 2007

Only place I ever was in the US was Seattle and people seemed to care about football there

Basically do something like the Icelandic people did and you'll be okay

Also, call up Sporting CP and ask for a bunch of academies, we've got the know-how

Dirk Pitt
Sep 14, 2007

Toilet Rascal
According to the head coach, nothing needs to change. I suspect this is why he has a job, because it is all politics.

Brony Car
May 22, 2014

by Cyrano4747

What does Lyndon Baines Johnson have to do with this?

Cpt. Mahatma Gandhi
Mar 26, 2005

Brony Car posted:

What does Lyndon Baines Johnson have to do with this?

He's got impeccable marking, gets in real close

Mukaikubo
Mar 14, 2006

"You treat her like a lady... and she'll always bring you home."
it's 6 AM chicago time. Why is Bruce Arena still employed? Why is Sunil Gulati still in charge of US Soccer? Those mincing fucks are going to try to cling to power and blame everyone but themselves, and I hate it.

Nobody above the age of 23 right now should be played. Not one. It's time to prepare for 2026. To hell with 2022. Of the team that took the field last night, only Pulisic deserves a spot going forward.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.

Mukaikubo posted:

it's 6 AM chicago time. Why is Bruce Arena still employed? Why is Sunil Gulati still in charge of US Soccer? Those mincing fucks are going to try to cling to power and blame everyone but themselves, and I hate it.

Nobody above the age of 23 right now should be played. Not one. It's time to prepare for 2026. To hell with 2022. Of the team that took the field last night, only Pulisic deserves a spot going forward.

Nice meltdown

Jack's Flow
Jun 6, 2003

Life, friends, is boring

Pook Good Mook posted:

And just 6 months ago moron ESPN commentators were thrilled to see Arena back.

Eagerly awaiting the think pieces by the people who blamed everything on Klinsmann before his firing.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Mukaikubo posted:

Who are these magical u23s

Mukaikubo
Mar 14, 2006

big crush on Chad OMG posted:

Who are these magical u23s

Dunno. How're they going to do worse?

Dirk Pitt
Sep 14, 2007

Toilet Rascal

CyberPingu posted:

Nice meltdown

I've been melting down all day since I woke up and saw the result. Seriously gently caress MLS and gently caress US Soccer. Matty loving Besler, Omar Gonzales, Michael Bradley, and the spoiled loving MLS lifers deserve to be fired into the sun. If you play in MLS you should not play on the National Team.

Dirk Pitt fucked around with this message at 12:24 on Oct 11, 2017

Mukaikubo
Mar 14, 2006

Dirk Pitt posted:

I've been melting down all day since I woke up and saw the result. Seriously gently caress MLS and gently caress US Soccer. Matty loving Besler, Omar Gonzales, Michael Bradley, and the spoiled loving MLS lifers deserve to be fired into the sun. If you play in MLS you should not play on the National Team.

...hell, same, op

Dunban
Jul 4, 2012

OH MY GOD GLOVER
So we can expect fewer posts from retarded Americans in the 2018 WC thread? That's a win in my book.

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Dunban posted:

So we can expect fewer posts from retarded Americans in the 2018 WC thread? That's a win in my book.

also, no Trump having opinions about soccer

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Mukaikubo posted:

Dunno. How're they going to do worse?

By losing more games and getting fewer points

mackintosh
Aug 18, 2007

Semper Fidelis Poloniae
In far more important news, the line ups for UEFA Nations League have been confirmed.

http://www.uefa.com/uefanationsleague/news/newsid=2507364.html#/

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

mackintosh posted:

In far more important news, the line ups for UEFA Nations League have been confirmed.

Azerbaijan, FYR Macedonia, Belarus, Georgia, Armenia, Latvia, Faroe Islands, Luxembourg, Kazakhstan, Moldova, Liechtenstein, Malta, Andorra, Kosovo, San Marino, Gibraltar

What could go wrong

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

I shall devour your soul.
Grimey Drawer

Azerbaijan, FYR Macedonia, Belarus, Georgia, Armenia, Latvia, Faroe Islands, Luxembourg, Kazakhstan, Moldova, Liechtenstein, Malta, Andorra, Kosovo, San Marino, Gibraltar

What could go wrong

*Note that Russia and Ukraine will not be drawn into the same group. The same applies to Armenia and Azerbaijan if the current UEFA Executive Committee decisions still apply when the draw is made.

mackintosh
Aug 18, 2007

Semper Fidelis Poloniae
Looking forward to being drawn with Germany and Spain.

Manc Hill
Jul 19, 2001

^^this is u ^^this is me

mackintosh posted:

what is this nonsense

mackintosh
Aug 18, 2007

Semper Fidelis Poloniae

Manc Hill posted:

what is this nonsense

CL for national teams, basically. UEFA’s always on the lookout for new sources of cash flow.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

If you can't draw teams into the same group for political reasons maybe they should just be banned from the competition.

It's like having Israel in UEFA because "reasons"

orange sky
May 7, 2007

Azerbaijan and Australia are in the Eurovision

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire

mackintosh posted:

I hate this. Is this poo poo going to add more international dates?

RideTheSpiral
Sep 18, 2005
College Slice

What could go wrong

can't wait for the chance to see *checks UEFA League of Nations website* Gibraltar play at my local stadium

Monday Bandele
Apr 26, 2008
How is the USA worse now than in the 90s when the team was full of crossovers from indoor soccer and lacrosse

mackintosh
Aug 18, 2007

Semper Fidelis Poloniae

Gigi Galli posted:

I hate this. Is this poo poo going to add more international dates?

They're supposed to be taking place during the usual international slots, replacing pointless friendlies. I imagine most countries will just field their youth teams or reserve sides.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Monday Bandele posted:

How is the USA worse now than in the 90s when the team was full of crossovers from indoor soccer and lacrosse

Those people actually tried hard.

Mean Bean Machine
May 9, 2008

Only when I breathe.
I'm glad the USMNT is out because that means there's no chance we'll see players kneeling during the national anthem, like they do in their lovely sports. That poo poo's disrespectful and should be banned. No place for it in our beautiful sport.

mackintosh
Aug 18, 2007

Semper Fidelis Poloniae

Mean Bean Machine posted:

I'm glad the USMNT is out because that means there's no chance we'll see players kneeling during the national anthem, like they do in their lovely sports. That poo poo's disrespectful and should be banned. No place for it in our beautiful sport.

This I can wholeheartedly agree with. What a joke.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

mackintosh posted:

They're supposed to be taking place during the usual international slots, replacing pointless friendlies. I imagine most countries will just field their youth teams or reserve sides.

apparently teams that fail to qualify for euro 2020 might qualify through this

Blue Star Error
Jun 11, 2001

For this recipie you will need:
Football match (Halftime of), Celebrity Owner (Motivational speaking of), Sherry (Bottle of)
Unlucky USA but also lol. How you conspired to not qualify through a system designed to ensure you and Mexico qualify is baffling.

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:
I can’t be bothered to find it but here’s a friendly reminder I called the USMNT failing to qualify and I’m booking a FRANCE WC 2018 VICTORY.

Dirk Pitt
Sep 14, 2007

Toilet Rascal

Monday Bandele posted:

Same crossovers from the 90s were playing last night.

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group

Dirk Pitt posted:

Same crossovers from the 90s were playing last night.

But Klinsman was mean to those old players, so it's really OK.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
he was very bad as a coach but his criticism of how insanely bad the youth and league systems are in the US, and that US players need to stop leaving Europe to take easy MLS paydays was spot on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

mackintosh posted:

not sure the netherlands deserve to be in group A imo

• Locked thread