Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheCIASentMe
Jul 11, 2003

I'll get you! Just you wait and see!

RaspberryCommie posted:

So I found a blood of the mountain in my Masterwork playthrough and apparently this can be used to generate magma.

Does this also spawn fire imps and stuff or is it safe to use it to make a magma moat?

If it did spawn fire imps... That'd make an even BETTER magma moat!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thepharmtech
Feb 15, 2017

Take the suggestion from my avatar

Shayu posted:

My favorite thing to do with Dwarf Fortress is use PerfectWorld to create little worlds and export them to Dwarf Fortress to run their histories. I think sometimes that makes me a casual, for wanting to play with maps instead of dropping goblins into pits of lava.

Nothing wrong with playing with maps. There's always time to drop goblins into lava later.

StrangeAeon
Jul 11, 2011

Okay, can anybody help me out with a UI issue?

I'm not sure what I did, but when I try to designate an area-- for example, using the Box Select for building large swaths of floors-- a second, tiny cursor appears up and to the left of my actual cursor. And the game seems to prioritize it over mine. And so when I try to build floors, it goes off of this second cursor's position, which is inconsistent, and it doesn't map properly to my actual fort.

How do I tell the game to cut this poo poo out?

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

I'm not sure if you're describing what I'm thinking of, but I remember TWBT having root level incompatibility with mouse controls. Every release included its own fixed versions of those critical plugins that you'd have to replace or else the the in-game cursor wouldn't match up with your mouse pointer.

RaspberryCommie
May 3, 2008

Stop! My penis can only get so erect.
Does the loam after sieving clay loam have any use?

Edit: Nevermind, figured the wells out.

RaspberryCommie fucked around with this message at 07:27 on Sep 25, 2017

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

:frogsiren: Mostly been playing around with post-world-generation secret agents lately, since most of the testing I'd done up to this point had been on their world generation histories. And there were lots of tells... still are many, but it is better. Elves showing up as peddlars, but the game giving them away as "Warrior" in their travel logs, their printed color being according to their soldier type instead of their cover, and that sort of thing. The old vampire secret identity code wasn't helping since vampires didn't try to hide these types of professions. But I've confirmed that they try to collect the correct type of rumors from your dwarves and can successfully bring them out of your fortress and back home, as well as being able to successfully target the other sites they visit throughout the world once world generation is over. Hopefully that's the last we'll hear about agents as we check these last things off.

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

dwaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaarves :argh:

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

ugh its Troika posted:

dwaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaarves :argh:

"we found a book chronicling the tales of a fungi-humanoid practicing some forbidden art to raise his old rival from the dead to compete against in sporting events"

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)
I'm not certain but I'm pretty sure that's from a Stellaris mod?

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

Sky Shadowing posted:

I'm not certain but I'm pretty sure that's from a Stellaris mod?

It is. Gets posted on r/dwarffortress about once a week.

Still pretty awesome though :black101:

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

I'm sure this has been brought up before, but is there a workaround for Dwarf Therapist not working anymore?

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

DreamShipWrecked posted:

I'm sure this has been brought up before, but is there a workaround for Dwarf Therapist not working anymore?

dfhack has autolabor, labormanager, and if you don't want to automate it, manipulator or something like that

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

DreamShipWrecked posted:

the dfhack suite has a thing called Dwarf Manipulator built-in

it doesn't have the ~advanced features~ of DT but it's got the most important thing, everybody's skills in one biiiiiig visual table what you can toggle around at will

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

RFC2324 posted:

dfhack has autolabor, labormanager, and if you don't want to automate it, manipulator or something like that

Cheers, I have tried Autolabor and it has been working pretty well. It's a bit weird when the entire fortress descends on a dining room to help detail it, but I'm sure I'll get used to it.

So Math
Jan 8, 2013

Ghostly Clothier

:frogsiren: posted:

Here's the report! The Future of the Fortress will be a little late, but should be along soon. Let's see if we can't take care of it all this month!

That's the spirit!

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Okay, I'm back for my periodic twice-yearly check-in. Is the latest version of DF available with dfhack on OS X?

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

DreamShipWrecked posted:

Cheers, I have tried Autolabor and it has been working pretty well. It's a bit weird when the entire fortress descends on a dining room to help detail it, but I'm sure I'll get used to it.

It's worthwhile to take a few minutes to turn the detailing labor off in autolabor and then identify five or six specific dwarves you want to be your detailers and manually turn that labor on for them.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

DreamShipWrecked posted:

my favorite is when i tunnel out the layout for an entire floor, and everything else comes to a screaming halt because i issued the smooth order

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
I generally get up to around 80 dwarves in the mining/smoothing/occasional militia warm bodies category since I only need so many highly skilled producers until the fortress end game

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

Bad Munki posted:

Okay, I'm back for my periodic twice-yearly check-in. Is the latest version of DF available with dfhack on OS X?

yeop

dwarf therapist better not be a stumbling block, though (somebody apparently has finally taken up the mantle??? only win32/64 and 64bit linux at the present)

scamtank fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Oct 2, 2017

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
Did a new version just barely come out? The last two times I played I swear there was a beta 64 bit version of therapist that worked just fine for me. There was like a weird warning/error message when I started it but otherwise I had no issues with it. For whatever reason it wasn't bundled with LNP and I had to go find it myself though. Am I imaging this?

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

scamtank posted:

yeop

dwarf therapist better not be a stumbling block, though (somebody apparently has finally taken up the mantle??? only win32/64 and 64bit linux at the present)

Armok be praised, this update to DT works on my system. Thank you.

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Goddammit this Cello is way out of tune!
autolabor-artisans make it so you won't have the entire fortress come to a halt when you decide to smooth the entire fortress.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

IAmTheRad posted:

autolabor-artisans make it so you won't have the entire fortress come to a halt when you decide to smooth the entire fortress.

that's no fun

Alehkhs
Oct 6, 2010

The Sorrow of Poets
Here's a new presentation from Tarn Adams, on "Secret Identities in Dwarf Fortress". Toady's presentation begins around the 40 minute mark.

darthbob88
Oct 13, 2011

YOSPOS
Alright, does anybody else have issues with obsidian farms? It seems like my dwarves just won't go down into the water, even if it's just the 1/7 dampness left by the flood. Do I need to give them all a point of swimming or something?

E: Problem found, I had temperature off and apparently they didn't realize the obsidian was cool. Turned temperature on and now they're working fine.

darthbob88 fucked around with this message at 15:45 on Oct 7, 2017

Lpzie
Nov 20, 2006

DF is the best game in the world and I get an erection thinking about it.

COMRADES
Apr 3, 2017

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

quote:

2. Right now we have multiple souls supported for creatures (it's just not used), and there's an "active soul" that gets to control everything.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Isn't that how the whole adventure mode thing works? The player basically becomes another soul inside some poor schmuck's body? Wasn't that Toady's accepted explanation for why sometimes, if you start an adventure and, say, slaughter the whole starting settlement for combat exp, your character will have streams of tears in their eyes? You know, because they can only watch helplessly as the godly influence that has overtaken them commands them to kill their friends and family?

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

If that's the case, those poor dwarves must be SUUUUUPER confused when I spend months vibrating them to godlike levels of sneaking ability the moment I take over.

PublicOpinion
Oct 21, 2010

Her style is new but the face is the same as it was so long ago...
The sixth Mood: adventure.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

neogeo0823 posted:

Isn't that how the whole adventure mode thing works? The player basically becomes another soul inside some poor schmuck's body? Wasn't that Toady's accepted explanation for why sometimes, if you start an adventure and, say, slaughter the whole starting settlement for combat exp, your character will have streams of tears in their eyes? You know, because they can only watch helplessly as the godly influence that has overtaken them commands them to kill their friends and family?

:yikes:

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Goddammit this Cello is way out of tune!
What about when the random adventurer stands next to a house, picks up handfuls of sand and keeps hurling them at the wall of the house?

Sure he can then throw water at a lethal velocity and has become a god in his own mind.

COMRADES
Apr 3, 2017

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

neogeo0823 posted:

That was the theory but I don't think it had official confirmation until toady said that?

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

He confirmed it back in 2014

:smithfrog: Greiger's is actually correct... sadly enough. The emotional circumstance processor is still turned on, with a randomly rolled up personality, but they can't express themselves or take control... they can only cry.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets
Crap, now I want to do an adventure LP based on this concept. Shame it would be short.

Jothan
Dec 18, 2013
https://twitter.com/Bay12Games/status/820824730001248256

oh no am I too late for a Dwarf Fortress: Procedurally Generated Smartasses joke

COMRADES
Apr 3, 2017

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
He's got them philosophizing now. Fully AI dwarves by 2030 for sure.

ACRE & EQUAT
Aug 28, 2004

FUNERAL BREADS
WAR BREAD
Just got a new written quire:

"Start Your Day with the Stationary Sun" :hydrogen:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Eric the Mauve posted:

Once you get the hang of it, setting up several separate small stockpiles for cooking is actually pretty easy, and necessary if you want your lazy-rear end dwarves to use different ingredients rather than just making plump helmet roasts consisting of plump helmets, plump helmets, plump helmets and plump helmets.

Nothing but nothing breaks this game harder than ☼Quarry Bush Leaves Roast☼