Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Wandle Cax posted:

The backlash may be irrational but more irrational is the bizarre reverse backlash where people say they are really good

Not really. The average audience reaction when the movies came out was that they were decent enough, if a bit disappointing due to being more flawed than the originals. This is historical fact, thanks to audience appreciation polls and general records.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib

moist turtleneck posted:

Who keeps giving them more money to make ____ Destroyers

snoke must have won the lotto for this: https://vignette.wikia.nocookie.net/starwars/images/c/ca/Supremacy_Sphero.png/revision/latest?cb=20170901095403

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

El Perkele posted:

I think it's pretty symptomatic that instead of discussing TFA or R1 people tend to talk about prequels. In all of their controversiality, they are much more interesting movies than TFA or R1.

It’s also possible that people on the internet like to be angry about things.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

I think prequel revisionism is weird, because those are not good movies by any stretch. TPM almost gets a pass for a few reasons but I still wouldn't purposefully watch it.

I think it has happened mostly because some of you would rather have bad original content than endure Disneyfied Star Wars where everything is and will be iterative and highly nostalgic, to the point of probably being a basic remake of the original trilogy with a slightly different coat of paint. I guess that's okay, but on a technical level and on a basic enjoyment level I would bet most people enjoy these new movies, and the original trilogy, a lot more than those horrid prequels. Please don't act like prequel dislike is a minority opinion. There's a reason Disney has ignored it almost entirely.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

The prequels are the perfect example of why Lucas needed people around him to tell him no to certain ideas.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

basic hitler posted:

I think prequel revisionism is weird, because those are not good movies by any stretch. TPM almost gets a pass for a few reasons but I still wouldn't purposefully watch it.

I think it has happened mostly because some of you would rather have bad original content than endure Disneyfied Star Wars where everything is and will be iterative and highly nostalgic, to the point of probably being a basic remake of the original trilogy with a slightly different coat of paint. I guess that's okay, but on a technical level and on a basic enjoyment level I would bet most people enjoy these new movies, and the original trilogy, a lot more than those horrid prequels. Please don't act like prequel dislike is a minority opinion. There's a reason Disney has ignored it almost entirely.

There's something profoundly pathetic of accusing people of 'revisionism' over the science-fiction franchise Star Wars and insisting that people who hate movies for decades aren't the weird ones.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

FlamingLiberal posted:

The prequels are the perfect example of why Lucas needed people around him to tell him no to certain ideas.

I'm glad we got three auteurist Star Wars movies that are a bit shaggy. Maybe you appreciate them, maybe you don't, but we're not going to get another Star Wars that is such a pure, weird extension of its creator (as John Hodgman called it, "the pure, unfettered emanation of a deranged mind").

If you prefer the more manicured, focus grouped Star Wars, then good news- it's what we're going to get every year for the rest of our lives.

Disney can play with X-Wings and Tie Fighters for forever, and it will be perfectly fun, but I'm glad there still exist these movies where you have an old man Jedi Master with a limp-dick lightsaber, and penis rhinos impaling vagina cats, and asthmatic lizard cyborgs, and Palpatine jizzing in his robes when he finds a new twink in Anakin.

General Dog fucked around with this message at 14:49 on Oct 11, 2017

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

General Dog posted:

If you prefer the more manicured, focus grouped Star Wars, then good news- it's what we're going to get every year for the rest of our lives.
It's a real shame they aren't using the off-year films for more experimental stuff. With all the recent firings no respectable director is gonna touch this franchise. Imagine a Denis Villeneuve or Luc Besson take on Star Wars :(

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Disney ignore the Prequels, except for all the times they market Prequel era stuff like another returning Clone Wars character in Rebels (and Rogue One), the new Clone Captain toys, and Battlefront 2 being introduced with a Naboo map (after players of the first EA Battlefront demand more PT content).

They are not even ignoring the old EU. There's going to be a new Jaina Solo toy.

Serf
May 5, 2011

General Dog posted:

I'm glad we got three auteurist Star Wars movies that are a bit shaggy. Maybe you appreciate them, maybe you don't, but we're not going to get another Star Wars that is such a pure, weird extension of its creator (as John Hodgman called it, "the pure, unfettered emanation of a deranged mind"). If you prefer the more manicured, focus grouped Star Wars, then good news- it's what we're going to get every year for the rest of our lives.

One of the many great things about the prequels is exactly this. It is so rare that we get to see an artist just go hog wild with the skill that Lucas had and the scale he was able to afford. Corporate Hollywood pumps out entertaining but ultimately safe movies constantly, and movies as pure as the prequels are getting rarer and rarer.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

The MSJ posted:

Disney ignore the Prequels, except for all the times they market Prequel era stuff like another returning Clone Wars character in Rebels (and Rogue One), the new Clone Captain toys, and Battlefront 2 being introduced with a Naboo map (after players of the first EA Battlefront demand more PT content).

They are not even ignoring the old EU. There's going to be a new Jaina Solo toy.

We'll probably also see more of Ewan McGregor's Obi-Wan.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

basic hitler posted:

Please don't act like prequel dislike is a minority opinion. There's a reason Disney has ignored it almost entirely.

*extensive clearing of throat* Ah, pure ideology.

Your distaste for the prequels is such that you don't see reality: that the imagery of the prequels is the imagery of Star Wars. Lightsabers, Jedi, Sith Lords, alien worlds: all of these are inventions of the prequels. Disney ignore the prequels in that it's nonsense to consider making a Star Wars movie which isn't about the prequels.

The Naboo palace fight is the totality of clean, crisp Empire design.

The Geonosis arena rewrites Jabba's Palace.

And every lightsaber duel is now set on Mustafar.

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.
A New Hope is a far better film than Empire Strikes Back.
Attack of the Clones is the best of the prequels, all of which trample on Return of the Jedi.

Ewoks are still boss though.

The MSJ posted:

Do you like them enough to drive two hours and buy one bigger than you?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XTnEhlvb6jI

Ah, Foam Adventure II.

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

The MSJ posted:

Not to mention all the prequel era comics Marvel has been and continues to put out.

Hell, the last Star Wars movie to come out had actual prequel characters in it, so the idea that Disney is ignoring them sounds a lot more like wishful thinking.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

The MSJ posted:

Prequels the Flamethrower

Serf
May 5, 2011

Tangential to this, but that Theed map for Battlefront 2 looks gorgeous and reminds me that Naboo is one of my favorite Star Wars locale. The game doesn't fit into my budget right now, but it sure puts on a lavish display of the best-looking settings in the series.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

The Force Awakens was the sequel to Revenge of the Sith, and comments directly on the events of that film through the character Kylo Ren.

Beeez
May 28, 2012
This new movie even seems to be about "balance" in the Force, which wasn't as explicit a concept in the originals as it was in the prequels. Mark Hamill also mentioned something about Luke thinking Ben was the "Chosen One", but for now we can't know if he was speaking in a metaphorical sense or if they're actually revisiting that concept.

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

Yaws posted:

Here's another anecdote: A friend of mine had never seen any Star Wars movies at all. None of them. So we we showed him the OT and he liked them well enough.

Then we showed him the Prequels

I'll never forget his reaction. It was unhinged rage! A real and utterly loathing! He HATED these films! Just detested them! He wasn't a Star Wars fans to begin with and even HE could recognize the shortcomings of the prequels.

In short, it's stupid to bring up some lame anecdote to buttress your argument.

its weird to talk about yourself in third person

The Unfetered One
May 31, 2011

by Lowtax

wyoming posted:

Attack of the Clones is the best of the prequels, all of which trample on Return of the Jedi.

Ah, Foam Adventure II.

I am sorry for your bad opinions

The Unfetered One
May 31, 2011

by Lowtax

Serf posted:

Tangential to this, but that Theed map for Battlefront 2 looks gorgeous and reminds me that Naboo is one of my favorite Star Wars locale. The game doesn't fit into my budget right now, but it sure puts on a lavish display of the best-looking settings in the series.

Im playing the beta and its a pretty intense map to boot. The fight for the throne room is nuts. Also looks amazing.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Cat Machine posted:

It's a real shame they aren't using the off-year films for more experimental stuff. With all the recent firings no respectable director is gonna touch this franchise. Imagine a Denis Villeneuve or Luc Besson take on Star Wars :(

It's a good point. I liked Rogue One well enough, and the Han Solo movie did sound like it was going to be a shitshow, but maybe they should have let Lord & Miller make Space Ocean's 13 and not forced a bunch of Rogue One reshoots.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Quote not edit

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
I simply defy any Star Wars fan to write multiple paragraphs of content about any particular aspect of the filmmaking of TFA.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

PostNouveau posted:

It's a good point. I liked Rogue One well enough, and the Han Solo movie did sound like it was going to be a shitshow, but maybe they should have let Lord & Miller make Space Ocean's 13 and not forced a bunch of Rogue One reshoots.

The rumor is that Lord & Miller were making Space Ace Ventura.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Fine? That's better than generic Star War movie

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
The prequels are really cool and good

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

I simply defy any Star Wars fan to write multiple paragraphs of content about any particular aspect of the filmmaking of TFA.

I defy anyone to about the lens flare.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

I liked the costume design.

The sound editing was also good.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

CelticPredator posted:

Fine? That's better than generic Star War movie

Oh I'm not saying that is a good thing or a bad thing. But Space Ocean's 13 was apparently not what it was.

People can judge for themselves whether they'd want a Space Ace Ventura. Personally, I feel like we've already had one Ace Ventura movies too many. Possibly two.

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003

The Forge Awaken used CGI. End paragraph.

The Forced Awakens used practical effects. End paragraph.

Do I win the smuglefuck award?

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

UmOk posted:

The Forge Awaken used CGI. End paragraph.

The Forced Awakens used practical effects. End paragraph.

Do I win the smuglefuck award?

Two posts too late. That trophy is mine!

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

You laugh, but SMG is currently writing a massive rebuttal to your post, with comparisons to Eastern philosophy and how it retells the story of Pokemon Go.

thrawn527 fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Oct 11, 2017

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS

wyoming posted:

Agreed, tho I think I like Menace more than Clones.

viral spiral
Sep 19, 2017

by R. Guyovich

basic hitler posted:

Disney is known for their market research, and boy, would I like to see the dislike ratio for the prequels.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

thrawn527 posted:

You laugh, but SMG is currently writing a massive rebuttal your post, with comparisons to Eastern philosophy and how it retells the story of Pokemon Go.

I picked costume design and sound editing because they seem like they'd be the biggest pains in the rear end for him to write a 2,000 effort post about. :ssh:

I'm hoping for soundcloud clips of R2D2 vs. BB8.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

PostNouveau posted:

I picked costume design and sound editing because they seem like they'd be the biggest pains in the rear end for him to write a 2,000 effort post about. :ssh:

I'm hoping for soundcloud clips of R2D2 vs. BB8.

Nice.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

viral spiral posted:

Disney is known for their market research, and boy, would I like to see the dislike ratio for the prequels.

Much like Blade Runner fandom, I think you'd likely find that legitimate prequel hatred is a niche market, and vastly over-represented online.

viral spiral
Sep 19, 2017

by R. Guyovich

General Dog posted:

Much like Blade Runner fandom, I think you'd likely find that legitimate prequel hatred is a niche market, and vastly over-represented online.

You're right, Jar Jar Binks and Hayden Christensen (ahem, Anakin) are revered just like R2D2 and Luke Skywalker.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

viral spiral posted:

You're right, Jar Jar Binks and Hayden Christensen (ahem, Anakin) are revered just like R2D2 and Luke Skywalker.

Good job moving those goalposts.