Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ellspurs
Sep 12, 2007
Kappa :o

Xae posted:

It has been rumored that Amazon is going to create it's own delivery service. They're making a ton of investments and hires that point in that direction.

Most of their stuff in the uk is delivered by "Amazon Logistics" already, 7 days a week up to 10pm at night.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

LogisticEarth posted:

Like, a couple years ago wasn't USPS going to stop Saturday delivery? Now Amazon has them out not only at all hours on Saturday, but on Sunday as well.

Amazon paid USPS to start delivering their packages on Sundays, gave the USPS a nice little boost in revenue to help with their congress imposed issues.

Xae posted:

It has been rumored that Amazon is going to create it's own delivery service. They're making a ton of investments and hires that point in that direction.

They already have one for last mile delivery.

Unbelievably White posted:

Maybe they can scoop up all the sorry folks that have been trying and failing to make a living with Uber.

That's exactly how it works. It's all app based, you go to the warehouse, loadup your personal vehicle with boxes to deliver and drive where the app says to go.

Rated PG-34
Jul 1, 2004

Crushed packages could probably be solved by paying their workers decent wages so I wouldn't count on it

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room
My bf once accidentally butt-dialed himself an Echo and a Firestick. Had the Amazon app open to track something, put it in his pocket without closing it, then I guess his rear end clicked on the banner ad, and with the one click ordering they were on their way. They showed up the very next morning, before the order he'd actually been tracking, and before he'd checked his bank balance and realized that there were like two hundred dollars missing.

We returned them, of course, but man, it was way too easy to accidentally buy those things. Either that or my bf's butt has a mind of its own and a taste for cool but unnecessary electronics.

ozmunkeh
Feb 28, 2008

hey guys what is happening in this thread

Crow Jane posted:

one click ordering

Crow Jane posted:

too easy to accidentally buy those things

I think I've cracked the code.

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

ozmunkeh posted:

I think I've cracked the code.

Well sure, but you wouldn't think it would be so easy for a butt.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

LogisticEarth posted:

Like, a couple years ago wasn't USPS going to stop Saturday delivery? Now Amazon has them out not only at all hours on Saturday, but on Sunday as well.

What was planned was that Saturday would become a parcels-only delivery day like Sunday had already been, in order to save money in the budget by not delivering regular mail and magazines and such.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Arglebargle III posted:

Anyway whether you work at a brick-and-mortar retail company or online retail company, if you are above store manager you go up against the wall too. :)

Eh, most of the store managers I've had the pleasure of working for should probably go up against the wall too.

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..

Xae posted:

Rumored? Amazon Logistics has been a thing for a long time, at least a year or more. They use it to deliver probably at least half of my orders.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
Walmarts in the middle of nowhere are usually incredibly clean and tidy and staffed by people who don't seem on the verge of self-immolation.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

Crow Jane posted:

butt has a mind of its own and a taste for cool but unnecessary electronics.

Same. :dance:

Edit: just as I posted that I got an amazon package at work. They usually come via their delivery people but I feel like 30% still arrive via UPS. Not really sure what the variable is, if it's distance from delivery location or something else.

davebo fucked around with this message at 16:26 on Oct 11, 2017

call to action
Jun 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

blowfish posted:

im the several missing :smug: smileys itp (in this post)

yeah true, it's one of the few replies i can make to the person who's violently masturbating to the thought of someone being mentally deficient. kinda gross imo

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
It's always a shock when you order something from other websites and it takes a week to arrive because it ships from the other side of the continent instead of from a warehouse two towns away.

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

call to action posted:

yeah true, it's one of the few replies i can make to the person who's violently masturbating to the thought of someone being mentally deficient. kinda gross imo

You remind me of my little brother when he used to stick his finger an inch from my face on long car trips and do the "I'm not touching yoouuuuu" thing. Unlike him, you seem to *really* enjoy getting slapped or gouged/scratched in retaliation. No one here wants to be involved in getting your rocks off, so go away.

Hot Dog Day #82
Jul 5, 2003

Soiled Meat

Xae posted:

Where I live amazon peppers the radio waves with commercials saying they'll hire drivers basically off the street for package deliveries and that they need warehouse workers for a new hub they are opening soon. The company is pretty quickly turning into one the main employers in my area.

anonumos
Jul 14, 2005

Fuck it.
I always turn off one-click ordering on Amazon whenever I set up their app on a new device. gently caress that poo poo.

call to action
Jun 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Crow Jane posted:

You remind me of my little brother when he used to stick his finger an inch from my face on long car trips and do the "I'm not touching yoouuuuu" thing. Unlike him, you seem to *really* enjoy getting slapped or gouged/scratched in retaliation. No one here wants to be involved in getting your rocks off, so go away.

wait so, in this analogy here, you're the person describing mental illness in prurient detail?

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

call to action posted:

wait so, in this analogy here, you're the person describing mental illness in prurient detail?

gently caress off

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever
I can't remember the details well enough as this was months ago, but before I moved my postwoman told me that the whole "USPS will no longer work Saturdays" was some kind of bluff/posturing on behalf of the postmaster general and it was never really going to happen. I wish that I could remember more of what she said, but I want to say that it had to do with proposed funding cuts.

On another note, one of my first jobs after coming to the US many years ago was at a pre-Gamestop kind of shop. It wasn't that bad of a job (if you put aside the horrible pay) until the company went public, and then things went south fast. They made a huge gently caress-up buy buying a bunch of these disc resurfacing kits. It was a huge mistake and nobody wanted to buy them, so they would hound each store to make their weekly quota selling these pieces of poo poo. One day, some perfectly pleasant lady came in to buy a spindle of blanc CD's while the district manager was there. I didn't try to sell her one of those resurfacing kits and she apparently ordered the assistant manager to fire me for it. I'm not sure why she didn't do it herself, but he refused to fire me because I was a good employee. Somehow we got away with it and I worked there for quite a while longer.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost

call to action posted:

Would you care to share your definition of the word 'prurient'?

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Amazon really does need better searching and sorting. I was looking for socks, and it gave me everything from baby socks to chair socks to wind socks. I just want some bright colourful socks with fun patterns but there was no way to really narrow the search down, just typing more specific words ended up giving me few or no results. It actually ended up being way easier to just walk down the street and browse a store for socks since they were nicely displaced and organized and somehow ended up being cheaper than amazon.

the black husserl
Feb 25, 2005

I'm going to stop ordering books from Amazon. They all come damaged now and I'm sick of sending them back. This never used to happen.

I predict service quality will continue to decline across-the-board for Amazon but it won't matter because there are no other options.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

JustJeff88 posted:

I can't remember the details well enough as this was months ago, but before I moved my postwoman told me that the whole "USPS will no longer work Saturdays" was some kind of bluff/posturing on behalf of the postmaster general and it was never really going to happen. I wish that I could remember more of what she said, but I want to say that it had to do with proposed funding cuts.

So essentially Saturday regular delivery is both very expensive and very important. It's also a place where the USPS provides well above and beyond most countries' postal systems. As a result when the USPS is having funding issues from Congress refusing to provide funding or introducing new burdens on the USPS (which is required to raise nearly all needed revenue from itself), they always threaten Saturday delivery.

And if finances are really in dire straits, they will absolutely cancel Saturday regular delivery, and then all weekend parcel delivery if necessary to meet budget needs. Luckily it's never gotten to that point.

the old ceremony
Aug 1, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
my butt only buys dildos and fine wine

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Baronjutter posted:

Amazon really does need better searching and sorting. I was looking for socks, and it gave me everything from baby socks to chair socks to wind socks. I just want some bright colourful socks with fun patterns but there was no way to really narrow the search down, just typing more specific words ended up giving me few or no results. It actually ended up being way easier to just walk down the street and browse a store for socks since they were nicely displaced and organized and somehow ended up being cheaper than amazon.

Yeah man, a "for humans" filter would save me so much time.

the black husserl posted:

I'm going to stop ordering books from Amazon. They all come damaged now and I'm sick of sending them back. This never used to happen.

I predict service quality will continue to decline across-the-board for Amazon but it won't matter because there are no other options.

According to that Mother Jones exposee last year the book section of their warehouses is so full of static electricity that pockets get painfully zapped every time they touch the shelves, so books might be getting damaged from falling to the floor while pockets writhe and twitch. Anti-static shelving exists, incidentally, but Amazon doesn't think it's worth the money.

Edit: pickers, not pockets. gently caress autocorrect.

Tiny Brontosaurus fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Oct 11, 2017

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

Tiny Brontosaurus posted:

Yeah man, a "for humans" filter would save me so much time.

A "the actual thing, not an accessory for that thing" filter would also be helpful, especially when you're sorting by price. I was recently killing time at work looking at area rugs and had to sort through multiple pages of carpet tacks, pads, lint brushes, etc before getting close to anything that resembled a rug

Also boy howdy, do you see some tacky poo poo looking for that and other home furnishings on Amazon. Which, if the aim is wasting time is sort of fun in and of itself, but is significantly less so if you're actually looking for anything you'd actually want in your home.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever

Crow Jane posted:

Also boy howdy, do you see some tacky poo poo looking for that and other home furnishings on Amazon. Which, if the aim is wasting time is sort of fun in and of itself, but is significantly less so if you're actually looking for anything you'd actually want in your home.

I bought a combination colander and mixing bowl on Amazon that look like ducks. I regret nothing.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

duz posted:

That's exactly how it works. It's all app based, you go to the warehouse, loadup your personal vehicle with boxes to deliver and drive where the app says to go.

I regularly get stuff delivered by some guy in a sedan full of Amazon boxes. It's getting to be impossible to tell who is delivering packages and who is stealing them.

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

JustJeff88 posted:

I bought a combination colander and mixing bowl on Amazon that look like ducks. I regret nothing.

Don't get me wrong, I adore tacky poo poo, but it has to be *quality* tacky poo poo :colbert:

Also my matroishka measuring cups, giraffe salad tongs, crab ashtray and rooster martini pitcher say hi to your duck bowl, which is almost definitely really cool

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Crow Jane posted:

A "the actual thing, not an accessory for that thing" filter would also be helpful, especially when you're sorting by price. I was recently killing time at work looking at area rugs and had to sort through multiple pages of carpet tacks, pads, lint brushes, etc before getting close to anything that resembled a rug

I've been looking for area rugs too! I've concluded that they are impossible to buy, and maybe just made up. No one actually has one, they just pretend they do to make you look for one so they can laugh at you.

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

I've been looking for area rugs too! I've concluded that they are impossible to buy, and maybe just made up. No one actually has one, they just pretend they do to make you look for one so they can laugh at you.

What's your budget? I'm in the business and can probably find something for you.

Gumbel2Gumbel fucked around with this message at 13:35 on Oct 12, 2017

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

It's just a bunch of the same kind of small rug laid next to each other.

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

I would have guessed holograms

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

What's your budget? I'm in the business and can probably find something for you.

~300 for a 5x7 indoor rug, low-pile wool. I'd go up to 500 for something spectacular. All I can find is tacky chevron or lattice print synthetic rugs locally at that price range. Thank you!

Edit: It might be better to continue this discussion in the Interior Design Thread

Tiny Brontosaurus fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Oct 12, 2017

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

~300 for a 5x7 indoor rug, low-pile wool. I'd go up to 500 for something spectacular. All I can find is tacky chevron or lattice print synthetic rugs locally at that price range. Thank you!

Have you checked wayfair? Their lovely ads will pursue you to the ends of the earth, the prices aren't amazing, and the shipping can be slow, but they carry a lot of poo poo and have really, really good filtering controls compared to Amazon.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

PT6A posted:

Have you checked wayfair? Their lovely ads will pursue you to the ends of the earth, the prices aren't amazing, and the shipping can be slow, but they carry a lot of poo poo and have really, really good filtering controls compared to Amazon.

Yes, it was a browser-crashing nightmare of teal plastic rugs in knockoff Hollywood Regency patterns. I'll give you it was better than Amazon though.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Yes, it was a browser-crashing nightmare of teal plastic rugs in knockoff Hollywood Regency patterns. I'll give you it was better than Amazon though.

Yeah, it's pretty brutal but I still prefer it to shopping for furniture and home decor locally.

I mean, who doesn't have $1600 to spend on a dining table and then $400 apiece on some lovely chairs, right???

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

PT6A posted:

Yeah, it's pretty brutal but I still prefer it to shopping for furniture and home decor locally.

I mean, who doesn't have $1600 to spend on a dining table and then $400 apiece on some lovely chairs, right???

Whenever I use the back button on Wayfair I get this weird error page and can't access Wayfair again until I restart my browser. It happens with all their family of sites and it makes it basically impossible to actually look at more than one item. Do you ever have that?

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

If you want a non-garbage wool rug you can get a vintage tribal hand knotted in good condition with a good pad for around $500. It should have some wear on it.

The higher thread count "city rugs" will last longer, are better made, are more expensive, annnnd most people like us hate how they look because they are so traditional​.

Don't buy a "hand-made" wool rugs because that means hand tufted and they are incredible pieces of poo poo, cannot get wet, buckle, and have very strong odds of the latex backing making your house smell like an old condom. They'll also drop dust everywhere if they're made in India because for whatever reason they mix filler into their latex to extend it because they can make more money that way.

Tufted means they take a gun and punch fibers through a pattern and a piece of canvas and it is exactly as sturdy as that sounds

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

call to action
Jun 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
500 dollars is a lot to spend on a rug