Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sout
Apr 24, 2014

Thinking of jumping ship from Apple as this 5s' battery life is getting pretty abysmal.
I'm accustomed to its size, and I'm sure I could probably learn to deal with a 5.5 inch screen but are there any standout Android phones which are about the size of the iPhone 6/7 non-+ versions?
Not really a power user on my phone, so my options are pretty open, but a good camera and battery life would be great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

sout posted:

Thinking of jumping ship from Apple as this 5s' battery life is getting pretty abysmal.
I'm accustomed to its size, and I'm sure I could probably learn to deal with a 5.5 inch screen but are there any standout Android phones which are about the size of the iPhone 6/7 non-+ versions?
Not really a power user on my phone, so my options are pretty open, but a good camera and battery life would be great.

The upcoming Sony XZ1 Compact is sub-5" and well specced. Camera should be good, battery great. I really regret not holding out for it.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

The Pixel is almost exactly the size of a 6s and is coincidentally also the phone you should buy.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

White phones are normally ugly but drat the iphone6s and pixel are hideous :barf:

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Guillermus posted:

White phones are normally ugly but drat the iphone6s and pixel are hideous :barf:

Like I'd ever own a black phone like a pleb or associate with anyone who would. Also neither of those phones are white.

Rickets
Jul 21, 2006

Them's my dancin' knees!

LastInLine posted:

Like I'd ever own a black phone like a pleb or associate with anyone who would. Also neither of those phones are white.

They may not be white but that sounds better than their real colour, dried semen (GM loves putting this colour on their Cadillacs, too)

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

simply having a wonderful time

LastInLine posted:

Phone racism needs to stop. Phone lives matter.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

LastInLine posted:

My P9 is steel grey and my Lumia 640XL is matte orange :smug:

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

My white Xperia looks just lovely.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Rickets posted:

They may not be white but that sounds better than their real colour, dried semen (GM loves putting this colour on their Cadillacs, too)

Honestly as much as I hate the dearth of color in cars these days, I sort of like that Cadillac dried semen color. I'd never buy a car in that color, or anything that's not an actual color rather than somewhere on the grayscale, but I do like its depth.

For real though, phones are boring enough and I'm not going to use a case so if I'm buying a phone my formula is always [anything that's not black or white] > white > black. Black is so boring, I can't imagine.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
I'll take either black or white over gold, it looks tacky as hell imo and yet it's incredibly popular.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

The dastardly hand of the patriarchy makes me feel the need to reject it out of hand, but I am tempted by rose pink for my next phone. It has a delightfully gentle pearlescent sheen that I really like.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
Pink poo poo rocks gently caress the haters.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

The dastardly hand of the patriarchy makes me feel the need to reject it out of hand, but I am tempted by rose pink for my next phone. It has a delightfully gentle pearlescent sheen that I really like.

I almost got the MacBook instead of the MacBook Pro just for Rose Gold.

Wasabi the J posted:

Pink poo poo rocks gently caress the haters.

Truth.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Pink is good. Who the gently caress steals pink phones.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

I can't see the color pink, so it does nothing for me. All I see is the gold and that looks tacky to me.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

Xarn posted:

I am considering getting first gen pixel. Should I look for the XL or standard version?

I am switching from Moto X gen 2 and the screen size feels pretty ok (mostly because I've had time to get used to it :v:)
Buy an XL.
Maybe even *my* XL.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

I'm getting a black one but the white 2XL looks great with the orange power button

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
whoops

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

Any easy way to move from one Android device to another and get apps installed when also changing Google accounts being used?

My wife got a new phone and instead of logging in with multiple Gmail accounts I set them all to forward to her new account

G4+ to g5+

Boywunda
Jun 25, 2003

EdEddnEddy posted:

I know it might sound like voodoo but one thing I tried with my 6P that had that issue, was flash the original 6.0.0 OS image directly from Google to the device using ADB and the easy batch file FlashAll.bat that's in the package, load it up and run the battery from full to empty. Then recharge and flash the latest OS image.

While it sounds goofy, it did semi fix mine at the time from shutting down until like 2% where before it was as bad as the 20~% range.

It still sent that one back due to the speakerphone mic not working.

Definitely worth a try. Flashing 6.0.0 now.

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

I'm still sitting on the fence between a Pixel 1 or a Pixel 2. Maybe if I waver enough I'll manage to hold out for a Pixel 3.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
Anytime someone says pixel 2xl

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Don Lapre posted:

At first glance, to me this says Linux devs sold out.

Actually, thanks to nutritional deserts, this says Linux shops and contributors outsourced their work to exploitable post-Great-Recession grads.

E: And possibly students scheduled to graduate during or after the Great Recession.

dont be mean to me fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Oct 11, 2017

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Don Lapre posted:

aahahaahahaha

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

usa.jpg

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Yeah, unfortunately probably largely explained by this. Still a great slide!

Bryter
Nov 6, 2011

but since we are small we may-
uh, we may be the losers
Anyone know if those IR blasters that plug into the 3.5mm jack actually ever work?

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

Mental Hospitality posted:

I'm actually more excited for the Mate 10 than I was the Pixel 2 announcement.
:same:

Hoping they can keep it around $650 or so, else I may pick up the Mate 9 on clearance after the announcement

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

Ragingsheep posted:

Hope you guys weren't hoping to get a good trade value on your old Pixels.

https://www.reddit.com/r/GooglePixel/comments/75kd6e/lol_this_is_the_tradein_kit_just_arrived/
What a bunch of loving morons over at Google.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Combat Pretzel posted:

What a bunch of loving morons over at Google.

According to their Fi team, you can just put the phone in the envelope and the envelope in another container. Apparently it HAS to be in that envelope at the very least.

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

They're not taking 5s trade ins, right? It's only a couple months old!*

*because the launch 5s had battery swelling problems and the replacement 5s also had battery swelling problems

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
Has a non Pixel/Nexus device been updated to Oreo yet?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Incessant Excess posted:

I'm pretty sure not.

deletebeepbeepbeep
Nov 12, 2008

Incessant Excess posted:

The new sony phones shipped with Oreo.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Still waiting on Oreo for the XA1 though. :(

ManSedan
May 7, 2006
Seats 4
So what’s the gooncensus on the Note 8 (and Bixby)?

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

ManSedan posted:

So whats the gooncensus on the Note 8 (and Bixby)?

Bixby: bad

Note8: Doesn't explode, also pretty decent.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den
Bixby is fine if you're using it to control the device settings or do a specific task. All the other features can be done better with Google Assistant.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

deletebeepbeepbeep posted:

The new sony phones shipped with Oreo.

Yeah but shipping with and updating to are worlds apart for Androids. In practice the process of updating the OS is usually to buy a new device.