Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
zoux
Apr 28, 2006

The luminaries of the last decade of conservative media should be basking in victory after they finally achieved their goal, but instead many of them are laid low. Ailes, O'Reilly, Kelly, Bolling, etc. Fox News' ratings overall are down, they're usually third behind CNN and MSNBC these days while Maddow and other left commentators are enjoying their highest ratings ever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

zoux posted:

The luminaries of the last decade of conservative media should be basking in victory after they finally achieved their goal, but instead many of them are laid low. Ailes, O'Reilly, Kelly, Bolling, etc. Fox News' ratings overall are down, they're usually third behind CNN and MSNBC these days while Maddow and other left commentators are enjoying their highest ratings ever.

To be fair, Ailes is laying especially low. Like, six feet lower than most. Dude slipped in the bathroom of his ultra-fortified apartment after a shower and died. As a man who strives to respect others I shouldn’t take any perverse pleasure in this...but alas, I am only human.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I wish he was alive so he could see how bad this is all going for them. Also so he'd have to go through multiple trials.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

zoux posted:

I wish he was alive so he could see how bad this is all going for them. Also so he'd have to go through multiple trials.

Looking him up, I originally thought he died right where he fell, wet and naked, possibly having voided his bowels on the bathroom floor. That would’ve been a nice consolation prize.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

In the land of the blind, the one eyed woman was queen. Where everyone can see, she sucks.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Lycus posted:

In the land of the blind, the one eyed woman was queen. Where everyone can see, she sucks.

Give her time, it's not the xmas season yet so she hasn't been able to tell all her guests about white jesus and santa.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

IRQ posted:

Give her time, it's not the xmas season yet so she hasn't been able to tell all her guests about white jesus and santa.

I've said it before, Santa is definitely white because he hasn't been shot yet

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

IRQ posted:

She may not even last long enough to tell us that Indians were actually a barbaric people in need of civilization by the Pilgrims, I'm afraid.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

zoux posted:

Apple TV dog. We use that as our platform since we don't have a cable box.

Nope, I don't have any desire to spend $179 on another streaming device that does everything else worse than my Roku just for one TV show.

If Apple wants me to watch the show, they need to put their video app on other platforms like Google did and like they did for music.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

bull3964 posted:

Nope, I don't have any desire to spend $179 on another streaming device that does everything else worse than my Roku just for one TV show.

PS Vue on Roku is POS.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

All of the OTT streaming providers are poo poo honestly, not something I use anyways.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

We got a free one when we signed up for the $30 promotional Direct TV Now at launch :grin:

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

bull3964 posted:

All of the OTT streaming providers are poo poo honestly, not something I use anyways.

PS Vue overall is good. Its their app on Roku that is POS. I tried all Roku 4K, Fire 4K, and an AppleTV 4th generation last April. I thought the Roku was the worst box. I hated the OS, and some of their apps (which is not their fault) were not at the same level of AppleTV or Amazon. For example on the PS Vue you couldn't do live TV with guide on Roku while you could on every other box. Interface preference is one thing (while I find AppleTV's interface the best overall, they all need work), but the lack of functionality on that one app ruined Roku for me.

Edit: Actually I would defend PS Vue. It's not poo poo at the current price. No issues, nice interface, DVR works well, and so on. It is good as Comcast was, and for a cheaper price. That said I am talking about the Apple and Amazon version of the app, not the awful Roku one (which I hoped they finally updated?).

nate fisher fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Oct 11, 2017

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

My issue with the Apple TV is that you have to fiddle with it a lot to get it to output correctly for your content optimally and they lock out purchases on every other store.

Oh, so this movie is 4k but not HDR? I need to make sure to select 4k@24 SDR output mode. This movie is 4k Dolby Vision, let me manually switch to that mode. Etc. It's really really clunky.

Roku added native refresh rate output in OS 8 that they just released and it's a godsend. Set it and forget it. You get correct motion cadence for whatever you are watching without screwing around. That for a fraction of the cost too.

The UI isn't the prettiest, but it's the only 3rd party streamer on the market that handles framerate properly right now.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

bull3964 posted:

My issue with the Apple TV is that you have to fiddle with it a lot to get it to output correctly for your content optimally and they lock out purchases on every other store.

Oh, so this movie is 4k but not HDR? I need to make sure to select 4k@24 SDR output mode. This movie is 4k Dolby Vision, let me manually switch to that mode. Etc. It's really really clunky.

Roku added native refresh rate output in OS 8 that they just released and it's a godsend. Set it and forget it. You get correct motion cadence for whatever you are watching without screwing around. That for a fraction of the cost too.

The UI isn't the prettiest, but it's the only 3rd party streamer on the market that handles framerate properly right now.

It's actually the biggest piece of feedback Apple is getting right now. I want to say I read the company is looking into refining it but it's partially due to the current transition in display tech (and also Apple's own preference not to cause the screen to flicker/flash as it changes formats....which like, wtf apple?).

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

nate fisher posted:

PS Vue on Roku is POS.

PSVue got so lovely I had to cancel it. Streaming cable was nice while it lasted.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

CBJSprague24 posted:

For years, I thought the second season of Frisky Dingo was bad and wrote it off because the first handful of episodes were pretty dry and I'd somehow seen them all several times, but you get through 5-6 episodes and it's good stuff again. They're running a marathon from about that point on on [as]'s animation marathon right now.

But god drat, Adam Reed and the running gags, man. Now I know why Archer has so many.

I didn't become a fan of Frisky Dingo until season 2. Specifically the duck hunting episode.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I did a trial of fubu.tv this week as I wanted to watch a soccer game I didn't have on my cable package, and I was surprised at the quality and channel choice. It's not cheap, but if I had an unlimited bandwidth internet solution I'd possibly trial it.

It works with DNS trickery too apparently, and has a DVR function, so might be nice for those outside of the US to get some live channels and a ton of soccer.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Thwomp posted:

(and also Apple's own preference not to cause the screen to flicker/flash as it changes formats....which like, wtf apple?).

I'd say that's been the primary driver for all of the parties right now. But in my mind that's no reason not to at least have the option. It's pretty simple in the new Roku os. It knows what your display can do from HDMI handshakes and it's a simple on/off switch to pass native framerate with a warning that it may cause a flicker.

Apple's store has also been a shitshow apparently with UHD content, one day it's there, the next day it's HD and all reps deny it ever existed.

I don't have any sort of iTunes library and have a large Ultraviolet library so the Apple TV doesn't do anything I don't already have.

What is intriguing though is the report yesterday that almost all the major studios are going to sign on with Disney Movies Anywhere which Apple participates in. If those studios port their UV digital lockers to DMA, then suddenly I would have a gigantic iTunes movie library that may be worth getting an Apple TV for if they iron out the other issues.

That also means those movies would end up in Amazon and Google Play as well, so choices abound.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

bull3964 posted:

Apple's store has also been a shitshow apparently with UHD content, one day it's there, the next day it's HD and all reps deny it ever existed.

That'd be the first that I've heard of something like that happening. Most reviews of actual iTunes UHD content has been glowing.

I will give it to them that the options on the iTunes store can be a bit obscured. They'll automatically upgrade your previous HD purchases to 4k HDR if a 4k HDR version is available. Some movies only have 4k versions available or no 4k version available at all. The only way to tell in the AppleTV interface is to see if the little icon near the film title says "HD" or "4K HDR". I can see some people just seeing HD and thinking it was supposed to 4K and getting confused (because it is legitimately confusing right now).

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Thwomp posted:

That'd be the first that I've heard of something like that happening. Most reviews of actual iTunes UHD content has been glowing.

I will give it to them that the options on the iTunes store can be a bit obscured. They'll automatically upgrade your previous HD purchases to 4k HDR if a 4k HDR version is available. Some movies only have 4k versions available or no 4k version available at all. The only way to tell in the AppleTV interface is to see if the little icon near the film title says "HD" or "4K HDR". I can see some people just seeing HD and thinking it was supposed to 4K and getting confused (because it is legitimately confusing right now).

There's tons of people complaining about it on AVSForums. Movies they watch in HDR the prior day reporting HD the next day, stuff like that. It's also looking like a bunch of the DV encodes are hosed up compared to Vudu and have raised black levels.

The new ATV appears to be a beta product right now where it concerns UHD.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Goddamn that programming runs deep :(

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

My three consecutive posts in the Tin Star thread look sad and lonely, so I just want to say it again in here:

Finished the season. I loved it. Strangely accurate about the region I grew up in, just heightened af. Hope we get more!

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

It was approved for a second season before season 1 went to air (in the UK it's a UK show)

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Excellent. I was hoping it not actually being an Amazon original meant we would get more. Amazon shows seem to have a relatively short shelf life.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I'm glad that someone besides me liked it and is talking about it. I have some more stuff to say about it, but a bunch of real life happened, so I think I'm gonna wait for my second watchthrough so that it's again fresh in my mind.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I was gonna start it after the last two episodes of Van Helsing Christopher Heyerdahl was the secret bad guy! Who could've possibly seen that it was him???? but Mindhunters comes out on Friday and that looks dope as hell.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

drat Snak I didn't know you had a life outside of watching TV.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

GreenNight posted:

drat Snak I didn't know you had a life outside of watching TV.

A what outside of watching tv?

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

IRQ posted:

A what outside of watching tv?

It was a show that got canceled before it's time. You should check it out.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
counter-point: Tin Star is bad and grimdark af

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Lycus posted:

It serves NBC right for picking up the trash Fox News throws away.

nate fisher posted:

PS Vue on Roku is POS.

IRQ posted:

PSVue got so lovely I had to cancel it. Streaming cable was nice while it lasted.

Same, PS Vue is trash on every platform I've tried it on, and they don't have the channel lineup or the price advantage to look past the shittiness of their apps anymore.
I went back to Sling for a bit and they've improved but it just really highlighted how cable in general is so lovely and homogenized now that it's not even worth $30 a month anymore.
Luckily, pretty much every show I currently care about can either be watched on the network's site or on Hulu. Feels good to be a cord cutter.

raditts fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Oct 12, 2017

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

zoux posted:

I was gonna start it after the last two episodes of Van Helsing Christopher Heyerdahl was the secret bad guy! Who could've possibly seen that it was him???? but Mindhunters comes out on Friday and that looks dope as hell.

The new season has started up with the first episode airing last Thursday. It definitely feels like some course correction between seasons as there are a couple of plot lines that they just close off.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

muscles like this! posted:

The new season has started up with the first episode airing last Thursday. It definitely feels like some course correction between seasons as there are a couple of plot lines that they just close off.

What's the deal with production on that show, I read their original network folded or whatever? Who's making it now?

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I hadn't heard anything about that but Syfy is co-producing it so they're probably footing the bill.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
I really like Chance on Hulu. When I started watching it I was just expecting House the Psychiatrist, and then (season 1 spoilers)I thought it was going to be the "what did I get myself into with this psycho?" plotline where he tried to figure out how to get away from Ethan Suplee. Him jumping full in was a nice surprise.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Yeah Chance gets noir as hell and it's great.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Medullah posted:

I really like Chance on Hulu. When I started watching it I was just expecting House the Psychiatrist, and then (season 1 spoilers)I thought it was going to be the "what did I get myself into with this psycho?" plotline where he tried to figure out how to get away from Ethan Suplee. Him jumping full in was a nice surprise.

Oh yeah, I loved Chance. Great modern noir.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Snak posted:

Oh yeah, I loved Chance. Great modern noir.

Season 2 has started on Hulu, I suppose I should have mentioned that's what inspired me to post. :D

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Medullah posted:

Season 2 has started on Hulu, I suppose I should have mentioned that's what inspired me to post. :D

I'm starting to think I should make a general "prestige streaming drama" thread to consolidate discussion of stuff like Chance, Sneaky Pete, Patriot, Tin Star, Ozark, etc which would also help people's awareness of all them

• Locked thread