Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

In Training posted:

Why's that XV's fault

Tabata was the director on both games. Not that he had anything to do with the writing, he's just the one that salvaged the mess enough to get it to market, same as FFXV.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Well, I'm sure if they really cared about PE they would havesomebody else do it, but nobody with any money is ever going to make a tank controls survival horror style game again. WHich is a drat shame. I bet even the RE2 remake is going to be a 3rd person shooter or something.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

VG! posted:

Man do I love video gaming. Later on I am going to play Until Dawn because it is said to be spooky and that works for October. Plus I saw an option that it will record me during scary moments and that sounds like a tremendously funny outcome! :D

Until Dawn is also really fun to play with a spouse or loved one to help make choices. Don't try too hard to keep people alive because it's more fun when slutty teens get the axe.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Hidden Agenda seems like it could be pretty cool, especially if you can round up a few people to play a game that must take at least a couple of hours. I guess board game nights are like that.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

exquisite tea posted:

Until Dawn is also really fun to play with a spouse or loved one to help make choices. Don't try too hard to keep people alive because it's more fun when slutty teens get the axe.

Lady Videogames is utterly terrified of horror media and will not watch those sorts of films or play those sorts of games, so I will have to go it alone! :D

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

In Training posted:

Well, I'm sure if they really cared about PE they would havesomebody else do it, but nobody with any money is ever going to make a tank controls survival horror style game again. WHich is a drat shame. I bet even the RE2 remake is going to be a 3rd person shooter or something.

They don't even really need it when they want to make a shooter either, look at that Left Alive game they just announced.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

VG! posted:

Lady Videogames is utterly terrified of horror media and will not watch those sorts of films or play those sorts of games, so I will have to go it alone! :D

I don't like most horror stuff but Until Dawn was too goofy for me to take very seriously, that being said I also think Cuphead is the creepiest looking game of the year!

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.
I played the first chapter of the lo-fi adventure game The Last Door two years ago and thought it was pretty creepy without ever putting the player in danger. The second chapter is mysteriously in my library so I think I'll give that a whirl some night soon.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

exquisite tea posted:

HD remasters are probably pretty profitable for the labor cost of "add some more resolution options and less blurry textures" and resell for 20bux.

Nah sometimes they go the extra mile like adding instability and cocking up fundamental parts of the presentation like they did for the bioshock remaster

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

lol the PS4 Bioshock Collection was shoddy as gently caress, I lost count of the weird glitches and poo poo I ran in to. At least in the first two games, Infinite seemed to run better as if to spite me.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
Speaking of HD rereleases I really don't want to have to import Dragon's Crown PS4 (but I will)

Atlus please

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
What's that? A Dark Souls HD re-release? Well if you insist From Software, I guess I'd give you money for that.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Lost Izalith would instantly destroy your retinas in HD.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Squinting through the lava is actually the real boss of that level.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

I played Dark Souls in HD five years ago.

I actually never got past the initial starting area before getting distracted by something else. Maybe now that I've beaten Bloodborne I should go back to that

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Isn't Dark Souls already HD

With PS3 remasters you're supposed to call them definitive editions

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I also have been playing Dark Souls in HD for many years now, but I'd like to do it in an official capacity instead of continuing to rely on an incredibly competent community made fix. Also, I would like to be able to slide down ladders without falling through the world and not have gravity affect my character twice as hard.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

"Deathfinitive"

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Warmastered

In ten years they'll make the Furymix.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly
I thought the metal gear solid thread was one of the many broken threads across the forums but it keeps getting new posts, is it just broken for me?

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Cowcaster posted:

in lieu of watching that clip i've just mentally substituted the garbage day clip from silent night deadly night with the guy yelling "NAPPY TIME"

Lol, I can see it clearly in my head

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
honestly the character designs for star ocean 4 aren't that bad on their own, the problem is they decided it would be a brilliant idea to take stylized anime characters and make them... horrifying doll people??? and that's been their aesthetic for the last three games

i'm putting it down to star ocean 4 just being a terrible game in a series that's never had any good direction, cause it shared character designers with valkyrie profile 2 and those look way better, if still having lots of goofy fantasy armor

The Colonel fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Oct 11, 2017

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

The Colonel posted:

honestly the character designs for star ocean 4 aren't that bad on their own, the problem is they decided it would be a brilliant idea to take stylized anime characters and make them... horrifying doll people??? and that's been their aesthetic for the last three games

Man, imagine if Tales went with the Hearts CG version for all the games afterwards.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Phantasium posted:

Man, imagine if Tales went with the Hearts CG version for all the games afterwards.

lmao

i'm gonna say it would still be better than star ocean because at least most tales games have fun gameplay while star ocean 4 is the only so game i've heard even has decent combat and i really hated playing the psp versions of the first two

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

tap my mountain posted:

I thought the metal gear solid thread was one of the many broken threads across the forums but it keeps getting new posts, is it just broken for me?

If it's broken in the same way as the bloodborne thread was then it's just people making blind posts in it for reasons unclear, and I would suggest making a new thread

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

I'm the biggest Star Ocean fan in the world and 4 is an absurdly terrible game with really fun combat. Lymle (nappy time girl) is only the tip of the iceberg when it comes to awful characters in that game.

anyway so of course I platinumed it and I'll probably buy the remaster.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Foot armour with stiletto heels always makes me smirk

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
theres only one good part of so4 and its roswell

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
There are so many good JRPGs, ones you probably have not played yet. Please play good JRPGs instead of bad ones.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
the most positive thing you can say about star ocean 4 is that it came out when tales games hadn't really made 3d combat fun yet

they kind of uh did that in the next game right after vesperia, but for a little moment there

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

I wish loving Bethesda wasn't dogshit about reviews. Zero chance I'd order TEW2 after the first one and no reviews up in advance. How have they not learned from DOOM?

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

Jay Rust posted:

Foot armour with stiletto heels always makes me smirk

And to think that Bayonetta and Raiden could have ushered a new era of weaponized heels

The Colonel posted:

the most positive thing you can say about star ocean 4 is that it came out when tales games hadn't really made 3d combat fun yet

they kind of uh did that in the next game right after vesperia, but for a little moment there

It's been what, almost a decade, but at the time I thought the gameplay of Abyss was pretty good. Disliked almost everything else but that one thing they got right.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

DLC Inc posted:

I wish loving Bethesda wasn't dogshit about reviews. Zero chance I'd order TEW2 after the first one and no reviews up in advance. How have they not learned from DOOM?

This IS what they learned from DOOM. Pretty sure they directly mentioned the negative perception of that game and how people loved it anyway as their excuse to not let outlets do prerelease reviews anymore.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
You could just watch some gameplay videos on your own and prepare your wallet if you like what you see. Have you read an actually good game review in the past like 5 years, I'm confident they don't exist

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

CJacobs posted:

You could just watch some gameplay videos on your own and prepare your wallet if you like what you see. Have you read an actually good game review in the past like 5 years, I'm confident they don't exist

Now that you mention it, I really haven't. I've usually just jumped in blind at release if I was significantly hyped or waited to see what goons/others experiences are or waited until the game is cheap enough for me to say "screw it"

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

CJacobs posted:

Eurogamer does good reviews, especially since they switched to the scale of essential/recommended/*silence*/avoid instead of a numeric scale.

Although tbh the only recent time I can recall reviews affecting my purchasing has been holding off on Prey because of all the technical problems.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Samuringa posted:

It's been what, almost a decade, but at the time I thought the gameplay of Abyss was pretty good. Disliked almost everything else but that one thing they got right.

i love tales of the abyss but the combat is still rough, the thing that makes it fun is that things don't move at a goddamn snail's pace and everyone controls decently but like, the free run absolutely destroys bosses since they're designed assuming the player can't just move away from their attacks and it still hadn't moved past a lot of the older tales stuff that was holding it down like the 2d games were doing.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

I think Giant Bomb produces some genuinely good reviews that take both "actually entertaining to read" and "says more about the game than graphix gud" into consideration. I also like the ACG guy's video reviews. The rest mostly say nothing of significance about the game or are meandering 20-minute youtube videos that nobody has time for.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

the only video game reviewers i trust are my friends who i know well enough to understand their tastes in videogames and know me well enough to understand my tastes in videogames and therefore through the use of our complex human brains capable of understanding that not everyone likes the same thing can recommend or not recommend games to each other fairly accurately

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
ah, this is one of those dojos

• Locked thread