Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Larryb posted:

That's probably likely, though as was said it's kind of odd that Chloe and Rachel would have this insane week during their first meeting only for things to just be business as usual for years afterward (aside from the stuff we learn in Life is Strange obviously). I still wouldn't rule out some kind of time jump at the very end though, if only for thematic reasons.

"You know Chloe, after all is said and done, I guess you could really say that life is strange before the storm."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

I kind of liked how the first game seemed to go out of its way to avoid namedropping the title and I hope this one follows suit. Actually, I wonder if the original working title of "What If..." might have been a better fit as calling the events of that game "strange" seems like a bit of an understatement.

Maybe at the very least they'll give us an opportunity to gently caress with the canon a bit in Episode 3 via an alternate ending or two (I think I read somewhere they were still planning to have those in this game).

Larryb fucked around with this message at 15:49 on Oct 10, 2017

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

It's kind of depressing, but I really don't think they are going to do anything profound with any of the characters or settings in this series, if only because they just don't have the time. We are going to get our horny teen love story between Rachel and Chloe where we find out that maaaaaybe Rachel was not as into it as Chloe led everyone to believe and that will be it.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Paul Zuvella posted:

It's kind of depressing, but I really don't think they are going to do anything profound with any of the characters or settings in this series, if only because they just don't have the time. We are going to get our horny teen love story between Rachel and Chloe where we find out that maaaaaybe Rachel was not as into it as Chloe led everyone to believe and that will be it.

It's kind of a shame the scope is so limited this time around to be honest as there's a lot of potential to be had here (but I understand that we're on a shorter timeframe and there's only so much they can bend regarding the established story). The remaining episodes should be a bit meatier in regards to story content at the very least.

But all the same though I enjoyed the first episode and expect the rest to follow suit. At worst, it might end up being like the first game was (kind of trips a bit at the finish line but still a satisfying experience overall).

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

If this prequel series offers a happy waifu ending I'd be hella disappointed, this is Life is Strange and you don't get anything good without severe psychological trauma.

LoseHound
Nov 10, 2012

exquisite tea posted:

If this prequel series offers a happy waifu ending I'd be hella disappointed, this is Life is Strange and you don't get anything good without severe psychological trauma.

Rachel is going to be kidnapped and murdered and Chloe is going to either be shot or watch her mom explode in a lovely diner. I'd applaud the game if it could somehow be anything north of bittersweet, and the game's constant undertone of "you know that no matter how happy they are right now it's going to turn lovely" is kind of one of my favorite parts.

One of the most quietly heartbreaking moments of the game was seeing Arcadia Bay's most popular corpse dream about the day she was gonna climb Mt. Everest. :smith:

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Yeah, there are no happy endings in Life is Strange. We already know going in that anything good that happens to Chloe and/or Rachel in this game will be fleeting at best (plus, we already know this universe hates Chloe Price on a deeply personal level and would never allow her to be permanently happy). Best case scenario is a somewhat bittersweet ending.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

The real subtext here is that gay teenagers should stay the gently caress away from junkyards.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

But they're so fun ...

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Seriously, it's almost comical the way Chloe gets constantly shat on throughout the series:

Happy family life? Your dad dies in a car crash and your mom hooks up with a former soldier who means well deep down but kind of treats you like crap.

Have a best friend that's practically your sister in all but blood? She moves away and drops out of contact with you for five years.

Befriend/develop a huge crush on the most popular girl in school after she saves your life? She's not quite as into you as you are to her and winds up hooking up with your dealer and a pair of psychopaths behind your back. Now she's dead.

Best friend returns armed with time powers? Congratulations, you've suddenly become a magnet for death and your friend now has to keep bailing you out of trouble. Plus you may have had a hand in summoning a giant tornado that's headed straight for your town.

You're now in an alternate timeline where your dad survived, too bad you got in a car accident instead and are now paralyzed. Oh, and did we forget to mention that your respiratory system is failing and you're going to die soon while your parents drown in debt trying to keep you alive?

You're in another alternate universe where your friend's body was discovered and her killers brought to justice. gently caress you, die in a storm while your super-powered best friend is out of town.

You realize you're at least partially to blame for all this and offer to sacrifice yourself in order to save everyone. Too bad your past self doesn't know about any of this and dies in a bathroom hating herself and the world.

Or

Your best friend denies your request to give yourself up. The storm kills everyone you love and you're stuck with the girl who let it happen.

Have a nice life.

In short, why is the world literally out to get this poor girl?

Larryb fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Oct 10, 2017

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Larryb posted:

Seriously, it's almost comical the way Chloe gets constantly shat on throughout the series:

Happy family life? Your dad dies in a car crash and your mom hooks up with a former soldier who means well deep down but kind of treats you like crap.

Have a best friend that's practically your sister in all but blood? She moves away and drops out of contact with you for five years.

Befriend/develop a huge crush on the most popular girl in school after she saves your life? She's not quite as into you as you are to her and winds up hooking up with your dealer and a pair of psychopaths behind your back. Now she's dead.

Best friend returns armed with time powers? Congratulations, you've suddenly become a magnet for death and your friend now has to keep bailing you out of trouble. Plus you may have had a hand in summoning a giant tornado that's headed straight for your town.

You're now in an alternate timeline where your dad survived, too bad you got in a car accident instead and are now paralyzed. Oh, and did we forget to mention that your respiratory system is failing and you're going to die soon?

You're in another alternate universe where your friend's body was discovered and her killers brought to justice. gently caress you, die in a storm while your super-powered best friend is out of town.

You realize you're at least partially to blame for all this and offer to sacrifice yourself in order to save everyone. Too bad your past self doesn't know about any of this and dies in a bathroom hating herself and the world.

Or

Your best friend denies your request to give yourself up. The storm kills everyone you love and you're stuck with the girl who let it happen.

In short, why is the world literally out to get this poor girl?

Life is Hella Strange

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

In order for society to continue, these ungrateful millennials must be sacrificed.

LoseHound
Nov 10, 2012
max is a well-meaning but ignorant middle class liberal and her time powers are a metaphor for government intervention which throws nature/the free market out of balance. chloe could have bootstrapped herself out of poverty/depression, but did not and thus deserves to die. only by learning the lesson that charity actually destroys society and that the free market would have gladly brought jefferson and nathan to justice while saving kate, max is able to move on with her life.

also something something time preference something keynesian animal spirits

Eshettar
May 9, 2013

*whispers*

yospos, bithc
So this popped up on Twitter a few hours ago. No date is mentioned but I thought I'd share it with ya'll.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Soon isn't fast enough!!!!!!

Eshettar
May 9, 2013

*whispers*

yospos, bithc
I know, Esperterra. I know.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Eshettar posted:

So this popped up on Twitter a few hours ago. No date is mentioned but I thought I'd share it with ya'll.

Yes. YES.

Just wish they could be more specific. There was apparently a rumour going around it'd be coming out this Thursday, but that seems way too soon for 'soon'.

Eshettar
May 9, 2013

*whispers*

yospos, bithc
Someone in the comments section ventured a guess that it'll be released around November 1st.

They said they're aiming for about eight weeks between each episode, right? In that case, Nov 1st sounds about right since Episode One came out on the 31st of August.

Canemacar
Mar 8, 2008

I just want to apologise in advance to Chloe for whatever horrible crap is going to happen to her in about three weeks.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Eshettar posted:

Someone in the comments section ventured a guess that it'll be released around November 1st.

They said they're aiming for about eight weeks between each episode, right? In that case, Nov 1st sounds about right since Episode One came out on the 31st of August.

Which means this should be wrapping up around late December/early January. That doesn't seem like too bad a schedule if accurate.

Eshettar
May 9, 2013

*whispers*

yospos, bithc
Do you think "Farewell" will accompany Episode Three or be released after it?

You know, I'm beginning to grasp how lucky I was to experience Life Is Strange for the first time via the physical disc. Because I got to play those five episodes over the course of a single week, I never realized what unbearable torture it must have been to have to wait for their release dates.

Until now...

Eshettar fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Oct 10, 2017

Canemacar
Mar 8, 2008

Eshettar posted:

Probably depends on how big it is. If it's going to be a full sized episode, the devs would probably need to spend a couple weeks putting it together. But since it was pitched as a bonus for deluxe editions, my guess is it'll be pretty short and mostly fluff for people who can't get enough LiS (guilty). If that's the case I don't think it'll be too far behind episode 3.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

So I was planning on rolling up a new character for Divinity Original Sin 2 and started getting ideas.

Canemacar
Mar 8, 2008

exquisite tea posted:

So I was planning on rolling up a new character for Divinity Original Sin 2 and started getting ideas.

I know the feeling. I like to mod Fallout New Vegas from time to time. For my next playthrough, I'm gonna headcanon that Max's power glitches out and propels her and Chloe forward to the year 2281. I'll play as a Speech focused Max and leave combat to my Chloe follower. I'll wave around an empty revolver for moral support though.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Eshettar posted:

You know, I'm beginning to grasp how lucky I was to experience Life Is Strange for the first time via the physical disc. Because I got to play those five episodes over the course of a single week, I never realized what unbearable torture it must have been to have to wait for their release dates.

Until now...

Same here. Out of curiosity, is the bonus episode also named after a quote from The Tempest like the main three are?

As for the episode itself, I don't imagine it being that long overall so I'm guessing it'll be out about the same time or not long after Hell is Empty gets released.

Since it apparently takes place right before Max left for Seattle (making it basically Episode 0 in a sense), there shouldn't be many characters involved either. At the most we'll get Max, Chloe, Joyce and maybe even finally get to meet Max's parents in person.

Odds are we'll finally get our first glimpse of DontNod's official sequel sometime early next year as well so there's plenty more LiS goodness on the way. I'm curious if they'll stop after that or if Square decides to try turning this into a franchise.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 00:07 on Oct 11, 2017

Eshettar
May 9, 2013

*whispers*

yospos, bithc

Larryb posted:

Same here. Out of curiosity, is the bonus episode also named after a quote from The Tempest like the main three are?

They are? Huh. I didn't realize that. I guess that the school play must be important to the plot...either that or Rachel playing the role of Prospero will prove to be symbolic.

quote:

As for the episode itself, I don't imagine it being that long overall so I'm guessing it'll be out about the same time or not long after Hell is Empty gets released.

Since it apparently takes place right before Max left for Seattle (making it basically Episode 0 in a sense), there shouldn't be many characters involved either. At the most we'll get Max, Chloe, Joyce and maybe even finally get to meet Max's parents in person.

It's weird to think that the day will come when we'll be able to play these games in chronological order. It makes me wonder...will the people who play Before The Storm before Life Is Strange find it harder to sacrifice Chloe, having seen all the pain she's gone through?

quote:

Odds are we'll finally get our first glimpse of DontNod's official sequel sometime early next year as well so there's plenty more LiS goodness on the way. I'm curious if they'll stop after that or if Square decides to try turning this into a franchise.

I must admit, I'm dying for the rest of Before The Storm to be released and dreading it both at once. Once this mini-series is done and dusted, even though Square will return to the series, Life Is Strange won't return to Arcadia Bay.

Eshettar fucked around with this message at 09:20 on Oct 11, 2017

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Well there is still that digital series which is now apparently in development hell. But from that point, you'll have to cross the threshold into the deep dark well of fanfiction...

I'm still kind of hoping that someone takes my idea to turn Life is Strange into an anime bullet hell shooter.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

Eshettar posted:

I must admit, I'm dying for the rest of Before The Storm to be released and dreading it both at once. Once this mini-series is done and dusted, even though Square will return to the series, Life Is Strange won't return to Arcadia Bay.

You could say Life... Is Normal.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

exquisite tea posted:

Should be a Knight, Callimastia would never use a coward's tool like a shield or namby-pamby geomancy. :colbert:

Eshettar
May 9, 2013

*whispers*

yospos, bithc

exquisite tea posted:

Well there is still that digital series which is now apparently in development hell.

I wonder what the developers have up their sleeve for that. Will the digital series expand on the characters? For example, maybe we'll actually get to see Nathan's father and Kate's family onscreen.

I'm a little disappointed that Kate's not slated to appear in Before The Storm. Chloe mentions that she knows her and it would've been nice to see what she's like before she gets bullied.

quote:

I'm still kind of hoping that someone takes my idea to turn Life is Strange into an anime bullet hell shooter.

Hey, I don't see why not. Someone turned it into a dating sim, after all.

Eshettar fucked around with this message at 13:01 on Oct 11, 2017

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

SirSamVimes posted:

Should be a Knight, Callimastia would never use a coward's tool like a shield or namby-pamby geomancy. :colbert:

Believe it or not I gave this a considerable amount of thought and decided that it would be truer to Callamastia if she rolled a one-handed class. I also thought Fighter was just more thematically appropriate and changed her starting traits to Hothead and memory skill to Charge.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Eshettar posted:

They are? Huh. I didn't realize that. I guess that the school play must be important to the plot...either that or Rachel playing the role of Prospero will prove to be symbolic.

It's weird to think that the day will come when we'll be able to play these games in chronological order. It makes me wonder...will the people who play Before The Storm before Life Is Strange find it harder to sacrifice Chloe, having seen all the pain she's gone through?

I must admit, I'm dying for the rest of Before The Storm to be released and dreading it both at once. Once this mini-series is done and dusted, even though Square

It's a play about a storm so yes, it's meant as a symbolic thing. For example, the full quote the final episode is based on is "Hell is empty, and all the devils are here", which makes me slightly worried what's going to happen to these girls in that chapter.

As this is a prequel and there's no one around with time powers, at the very least we know Chloe can't die in this game. Not that that's going to stop the universe from torturing her like it always does though.

As for Arcadia Bay, it could be possible that Deck Nine will eventually make more side stories like this one one day but who knows. At the very least, I hope the new cast introduced in LiS 2 are just as endearing as the previous ones were.

The idea of this getting a web series is an interesting one (though a movie adaption probably could have worked too), they're just going to have to really try their best not to make it seem like a Twin Peaks knockoff.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 14:59 on Oct 11, 2017

Canemacar
Mar 8, 2008

Eshettar posted:

It'll be bittersweet for sure. Like with any great book, you don't want the story to end, but you also don't want it to end up like the Simpsons where the good is eventually outweighed by the bad.

I didn't notice it yesterday, but the promo image says Escape with Deceit under Rachel's image and Betray under Chloe's. Think it refers to events of the episode, or maybe character motivation?

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-e1tvAxD44o

Full trailer coming tomorrow.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

In season on, full trailers only came out a few days before the full episode debuted on Steam. Could Deck Nine actually be releasing the game... on time and on budget? Now I'm worried.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Releasing a teaser trailer for a teaser trailer is kind of mind boggling stupid but sure.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

A trailer for a trailer seems weird but there are some interesting tidbits in it such as Chloe getting her truck, possibly setting up the whole Frank/Rachel relationship (there's a shot of him in the Blackwell dormitories and it seems pretty clear from the previous episode that Chloe does not live on campus like Max did), and, unless that's just the aftermath of the previous episode, they apparently start yet another fire..

We'll probably get a bit more details in the full trailer (including a release date most likely) but it's nice to have some news at the very least.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Why on earth would you just assume that is a second massive Forrest fire and not just the same one lmao

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Paul Zuvella posted:

Why on earth would you just assume that is a second massive Forrest fire and not just the same one lmao

Dude have you seen California recently.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Youre right that is totally a 2nd fire and not the same fire that was started in the middle of the night at the end of the last game that is already totally put out and not worth showing again my bad

• Locked thread