Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. Bertrand Russell

EssOEss posted:

I recommend KeePass with Google Drive cloud sync of the password database. FolderSync works great on Android for this (the Drive app sync was pretty broken last time I tried it). No browser integration, just auto-type and clipboard on PC and the KeePass keyboard on Android.

Turn off "Safe file writes" or whatever it is in KeePass options or sometimes Drive will think you deleted the password database instead of saving it (because it does a SaveAs->DeleteOld->RenameNew sequence).

Also disable the "press enter after typing password" default option to stop you publically tweeting your password in case you accidentally activate auto-type somewhere you should not.

KeePass2Android syncs to Drive or Dropbox automatically, no need for another program to do it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

I quite like 'pass' - it runs on most Unix-likes, and has clients with UIs for the systems that it doesn't run on.

Not-quite-ninja edit: Whoops, accidentally linked to the FreeBSD manpage; the project actually has its own website here.

BlankSystemDaemon fucked around with this message at 15:10 on Oct 9, 2017

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Hey what about Lastp- :suicide101:

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

From the hard streets of Moscow
First dog to touch the stars

Plaster Town Cop

Furism posted:

Like people said I feel SMS 2FA is good enough for 99% of home users.

The problem there is "good enough for what?" Flip it around because the user isn't the target, the service is. It's never acceptable for banks or financial institutions, buttcoin exchanges or Google login. Facespace maybe.

Nobody is waiting for an exploit, they know how to already. They're just looking for someone to use it on.

orange sky
May 7, 2007

https://twitter.com/gitlost

Twitter that automatically posts git updates that contain swearing, it's p good

https://twitter.com/gitlost/status/917132589894336514

EssOEss
Oct 23, 2006
128-bit approved

Thermopyle posted:

KeePass2Android syncs to Drive or Dropbox automatically, no need for another program to do it.

I remember I tried it but there was some reason I did not use the builtin stuff but I have totally forgotten what it was. Did it perhaps require network connectivity (it did not sync, just downloaded from Drive)?

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. Bertrand Russell

EssOEss posted:

I remember I tried it but there was some reason I did not use the builtin stuff but I have totally forgotten what it was. Did it perhaps require network connectivity (it did not sync, just downloaded from Drive)?

It works offline and when it has connectivity it does a sync.

I always had problems with using it and Drive though. I don't remember the exact issue, but I think it had something to do with how Drive handles changes to files whose names haven't changed.

There's something you should do if you ever edit your database on your phone.

(maybe the problems I was having with Drive were before I set up the triggers mentioned in that above link...I honestly can't recall what was going on now)

The best part about using KeePass is that with the KeeAgent plugin, I can store my SSH keys in KeePass. When putty needs to connect to a server, KeePass asks for my KeePass password and automatically provides the key to putty.

Thermopyle fucked around with this message at 16:31 on Oct 9, 2017

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

I seem to remember some of these anonymizing VPN providers being bad at keeping you actually anonymous but I can't remember any details or what the actual problem is (was?).

Anyone know what I'm talking about?

I'm asking because the following post in another thread made me think that I remembered something but I'm not sure...

tzirean posted:

I'm probably wrong, but this seems worse for privacy than typical VPNing. Instead of tracking your IP to a VPN service that doesn't keep specific logs, it's tracked to a cloud service that can happily hand over your exact details as the only user who could possibly have been at that IP at that time. Am I an idiot?

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Thermopyle posted:

I seem to remember some of these anonymizing VPN providers being bad at keeping you actually anonymous but I can't remember any details or what the actual problem is (was?).

I'm asking because the following post in another thread made me think that I remembered something but I'm not sure...

I don't remember reading anything specific, but in general there is so much other identifying information being broadcast by your web browser, that just using the internet from a different IP address isn't going to do a whole lot to keep you actually anonymous.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Thermopyle posted:

I was just reading through my RSS feeds and funnily enough this popped up.

quote:

Significantly, PureVPN was able to determine that their service was accessed by the same customer from two originating IP addresses: the RCN IP address from the home Lin was living in at the time, and the software company where Lin was employed at the time,

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

https://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2017/10/trumps-doj-tries-to-rebrand-weakened-encryption-as-responsible-encryption/

Some jackbooted idiot posted:

Responsible encryption is achievable. Responsible encryption can involve effective, secure encryption that allows access only with judicial authorization. Such encryption already exists. Examples include the central management of security keys and operating system updates; the scanning of content, like your e-mails, for advertising purposes; the simulcast of messages to multiple destinations at once; and key recovery when a user forgets the password to decrypt a laptop.

No one calls any of those functions a "back door." In fact, those capabilities are marketed and sought out by many users.

Nice shell game there trying make voluntary, opt-in key-escrow equivalent to mandated master-keys for government access.

:fuckoff: you fascist.

Fortunately, this is kind of like trying to put toothpaste back in the tube.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

http://www.zdnet.com/article/accenture-left-a-huge-trove-of-client-passwords-on-exposed-servers/

quote:

Vickery said he also found Accenture's master keys for its Amazon Web Service's Key Management System (KMS), which if stolen could allow an attacker full control over the company's encrypted data stored on Amazon's servers.

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

Proteus Jones posted:

https://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2017/10/trumps-doj-tries-to-rebrand-weakened-encryption-as-responsible-encryption/

Nice shell game there trying make voluntary, opt-in key-escrow equivalent to mandated master-keys for government access.

:fuckoff: you fascist.

Fortunately, this is kind of like trying to put toothpaste back in the tube.

Best possible counterargument: Would these keys be more or less important to keep secure than every American's credit history and identity details, the personnel information of every single government employee, or the NSA's most closely guarded secrets?

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Thermopyle posted:

Possibly this? https://gist.github.com/kennwhite/1f3bc4d889b02b35d8aa

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Endless Septemper keeps on giving: A critical vulnerability has been identified in TPM 1.2 and 2.0.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

:toot:

orange sky
May 7, 2007

Ahahaha every single system people use has vulnerabilities that have been used for years

I can't wait for SSL's, it's gonna be glorious

Also, I thought I'd posted this in this thread, but Outlook was without S/MIME for 6 months

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

And the best part is that the two updates Microsoft have published for the issue apparently cannot co-exist since a lot of machines have been breaking and the only fix being to remove KB4041691 with dism.exe

orange sky posted:

I can't wait for SSL's, it's gonna be glorious
Sorry to have to break this to you, but SSL has already been deprecatated and its replacement seems to have been designed to be so brittle that it'll break given even the slightest provocation (assuming the replacement will actually get an update too, it's not looking great).

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Yeah, if you're using SSLv3/TLS1.0/1.1 you deserve whatever you get.

orange sky
May 7, 2007

yeah my bad (and I'm not using any of those, not my responsibility)

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang
I'm an rear end in a top hat, I know this, but I can't help correcting people who say SSL when they mean TLS. I even have a few slides in my training content just for that.

If you mean TLS say TLS. You don't call SSH as Telnet, do you?

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

More more MORE

Portland Sucks
Dec 21, 2004
༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
How Israel Caught Russian Hackers Scouring the World for U.S. Secrets

Turns out "Kaspersky" is just Russian for botnet. :ussr:

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Furism posted:

Yeah but TLS 1.0 was basically a new (and not very different) version of SSL3, vs a totally new protocol for ssh/telnet.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Imagine the minds blown, when they figure out STARTTLS also works with SSL.

Moatman
Mar 21, 2014

Because the goof is all mine.

Furism posted:

I'm an rear end in a top hat, I know this, but I can't help correcting people who say SSL when they mean TLS. I even have a few slides in my training content just for that.

I do actually, at least in informal conversation. You've never heard someone say "Yeah I'll just telnet in from home" or whatever?

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

https://googleprojectzero.blogspot.ca/2017/10/over-air-vol-2-pt-3-exploiting-wi-fi.html

Another part is up, this is a super technical but absolutely fascinating read.

quote:

In this blog post well complete our goal of achieving remote kernel code execution on the iPhone 7, by means of Wi-Fi communication alone.

Awesome poo poo imo

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

I'm just going to stop reading this thread. You guys give me anxiety / make me drink more.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Furism posted:

While I agree with the general principle but people say telnet instead of ssh all the time.

And whats wrong with tls1.1 at the moment? Theres an enormous number of IoT radio modules that only support 1.1 and will probably not ever get upgraded in the field.

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

Furism posted:

I don't agree with that. Using either SSL or TLS you get a secure socket communication. The protocols are different yes, but the outcome is the same. The underlying protocol is only relevant to those that know the differences between the two, their flaws and strengths.
SSH vs telnet for the average person is the same: secure vs insecure communication. How actually that is done ... pretty much irrelevant.

Plus, even wikipedia agrees that in normal conversation people do refer to them as SSL:

quote:

Transport Layer Security (TLS) and its predecessor, Secure Sockets Layer (SSL), both frequently referred to as "SSL", are cryptographic protocols that provide communications security over a computer network.

EssOEss
Oct 23, 2006
128-bit approved
The crux of the matter is really that SSL rolls off the tongue far more easily than TLS. The latter is just uncomfortable to voice. Therefore, TLS shall be known as SSL until the end of days.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Some truly nutty peeps there.

hobbesmaster posted:

Theres an enormous number of IoT radio modules that only support 1.1 and will probably not ever get upgraded in the field.
There's a reason it's called the internet of poo poo. All those lovely loving devices are just 6mo of security research away from being massive liabilities.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

hobbesmaster posted:

And whats wrong with tls1.1 at the moment? Theres an enormous number of IoT radio modules that only support 1.1 and will probably not ever get upgraded in the field.
What's wrong with using admin/admin as a username/password? There's an enormous number of IoT devices that use hardcoded root credentials and will probably never get upgraded in the field.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

I have a lot of confidence that there will be some real regulatory help and/or legal consequences for poo poo IoT security.

hahahahhahaha

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Ships were made for sinking;
Whiskey made for drinking;
If we were made of cellophane
We'd all get stinking drunk much faster!

Microsoft's article says they'll put an event in the log if you're vulnerable. However, I don't think it works if you have generic drivers installed, because the WMI key never gets created, so the PowerShell script they run fails silently. Since Infineon doesn't give out drivers to end users, chances are good if you bought your computer before Windows 10 was a thing, you're running generic drivers and are probably vulnerable, even if it doesn't say you are.

If you want to keep using BitLocker and don't mind entering a password or using a USB drive every time you start your system, do this:
  1. Enable the Computer Administrative Template Windows Components\BitLocker Drive Encryption\Operating System Drives\Require additional authentication at startup in Group Policy. Check the first checkbox.
  2. Open an administrator PowerShell instance.
  3. Type manage-bde -protectors -delete <Drive> -type tpm. Replace <Drive> with the system drive.
  4. Type manage-bde -protectors -add <Drive> -password for a password. You can use -startupkey <Folder to put the key in> for a startup key instead.
This won't re-encrypt your drive and keeps the same master key. After that, you should probably clear and disable the TPM to be safe. If your system boots fine without asking for the recovery key or password, you can delete those keys as well if you trust yourself to remember your password.

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else

CLAM DOWN posted:

https://googleprojectzero.blogspot.ca/2017/10/over-air-vol-2-pt-3-exploiting-wi-fi.html

Another part is up, this is a super technical but absolutely fascinating read.

This owns.

:allears:

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Internet Explorer posted:

I'm just going to stop reading this thread. You guys give me anxiety / make me drink more.

An rather accurate depiction of me going through this thread over the past month:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dZxVGBRq0oc

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

anthonypants posted:

What's wrong with using admin/admin as a username/password? There's an enormous number of IoT devices that use hardcoded root credentials and will probably never get upgraded in the field.

So theres no difference between using admin/admin as credentials and negotiating a tls1.1 session with TLS_RSA_WITH_AES_256_CBC_SHA?

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

SSL is SSL. TLS is TLS. If you're running into trouble keeping those separate in infosec, yer bad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

So if nothing is secure anymore and the only thing separating you from being compromised is being targeted by a sufficiently determined entity, is security through obscurity "in" again? :v: