Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

xilni
Feb 26, 2014

FCKGW posted:

No.

Power adapters are still covered by the warranty though. Or buy a 24w Anker Charger on Amazon for $12 instead.

As the “hey you know computers” person of my social group this is one of the top questions I get bugged with.

Your headphones and charger are covered for your two years of AppleCare must be the undercover secret of the iPhone world.

Still, can vouch for the Anker stuff, along with Amazon basics and maybe mono price, only cables/charges I would trust that probably won’t turn your phone into a ChargerGate/reddit post about melting chargers/fire marshal’s worst nightmare.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...

xilni posted:

As the “hey you know computers” person of my social group this is one of the top questions I get bugged with.

Your headphones and charger are covered for your two years of AppleCare must be the undercover secret of the iPhone world.

Still, can vouch for the Anker stuff, along with Amazon basics and maybe mono price, only cables/charges I would trust that probably won’t turn your phone into a ChargerGate/reddit post about melting chargers/fire marshal’s worst nightmare.

Same. I have an Anker 36w 4 port USB charger and its very solid.

rio
Mar 20, 2008

Feenix posted:

Anyone take any of those studio lighting photos on their iPhone 8's yet?
Is that feature out yet?

Edit: is it available on the 8? I thought it was only the 8+ since it uses portrait mode.

The studio lighting one is the most useful. The others are very hit or miss.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

call to action posted:

You're not wrong, but look at phones like the Nexus 6P. Phones shut off at some random percentage of battery, making them nearly useless for some. The Google Store has more than made good on this, but anyone who bought from another channel was told by Huawei to get hosed. Even the Pixel has incredibly janky bluetooth in some vehicles.

Look at phones like the 5, 5S and 6, too, all of which had similar issues.
Apple support is generally nicer though. If you need nearly same-day service it's kinda unbeatable.
That said, Google were giving 6p owners with issues free upgrades to a Pixel, so they're at least trying hard now.

The discussion problem remains. 'Android' is the code base, but people have occasional issues with [specific manufacturer].
No one says "no more windows or Linux for me" because their Dells screen broke, so I'm never sure why the lines are drawn so binary.

This is the trajectory of most iPhone users who try the other side:

- iPhone is expensive, lets try something else
- Oh hey this moto thing is cheap!! $150 ??
- Oh gee this isn't a flagship experience~~
- Oh the support here isn't first rate
- Android is bad
- Spends $850+ on an iPhone
- Now this is what I was missing!

Case in point, the 6p released at $499 for a 5.7in amoled (but rapidly dropped or got bundled for $100 less), that year's comparative iPhone was a 5.5in LCD for $750.

Apple are also loving over their international usebase because they know every tech blog is getting US prices and comparing on that. So a lot of complaints you'll hear are from the 6 billion people that aren't in the US who have much higher price disparity.
e.g. The X is releasing in the UK for £1150 for 256Gb. You can buy a 64Gb S8 and 200Gb SD card as a bundle on amazon for ~£580. Yup, that's literally half the price, give or take :10bux:.
The same repeats across most of Europe and China.

That's why you're seeing a lot more hostility towards Apple's pricing. In the US the iPhone premium makes sense because it's at worst about $250. Elsewhere, people are scratching their heads.

Khablam fucked around with this message at 10:55 on Oct 11, 2017

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

Khablam posted:

Apple are also loving over their international usebase because they know every tech blog is getting US prices and comparing on that. So a lot of complaints you'll hear are from the 6 billion people that aren't in the US who have much higher price disparity.
e.g. The X is releasing in the UK for £1150 for 256Gb. You can buy a 64Gb S8 and 200Gb SD card as a bundle on amazon for ~£580. Yup, that's literally half the price, give or take :10bux:.

That's why you're seeing a lot more hostility towards Apple's pricing. In the US the iPhone premium makes sense because it's at worst about $250. Elsewhere, people are scratching their heads.

Yeah, I mean if they want to retain significant marketshare outside the US (and thus power in terms of appstore/appleTV exclusives etc.) they need to find a way of not gouging the EU quite so much.

I know they famously don't care about marketshare, but if they care about exclusives in media/games etc. they will have to.

Macs are even more hilariously expensive compared to alternatives. A Macbook pro is £2000 in the UK.
And the Apple TV £230 - with laughably bad content in the UK compared to alternatives.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Yeah I've had friends who've specifically waited til they're in the US to buy MBPs, the prices in EU are insane.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

rio posted:

Edit: is it available on the 8? I thought it was only the 8+ since it uses portrait mode.

You can change the lighting of the portrait photos from the album, doesn't have to be when you take it, in case you didn't notice.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

rio posted:

Is this only a Plus feature? This is petty cool.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

TraderStav posted:

Yeah, it's one of those selling features to trick you into buying a clownfone.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

TraderStav posted:

Yeah, it uses the second camera to read depth into the photo and then uses that depth information to blur or remove the background.

There’s also modes that change the shadows on the subjects face—those are done in software, not hardware, so there’s no reason why the 7/8 doesn’t have them besides Apple being Apple.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

lelandjs posted:

There’s also modes that change the shadows on the subjects face—those are done in software, not hardware, so there’s no reason why the 7/8 doesn’t have them besides Apple being Apple.

Don't those use depth data too?

Pivo fucked around with this message at 13:26 on Oct 11, 2017

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

lelandjs posted:

Yeah, it uses the second camera to read depth into the photo and then uses that depth information to blur or remove the background.

It's one of the few selling points of the 8+ over the 7+, so they gotta keep it exclusive. It's difficult for a lot of people to get excited about faster processors these days, which was probably the 8's biggest upgrade.

Realistically, it also could've been difficult to render in realtime on the 7+ to Apple's standards, but we'll never know unless it leaves beta and pops up on the 7+.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Pivo posted:

Don't those use depth data too?

Yes. It still needs the depth data to calculate the shadows.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

~Coxy posted:

Kinda unavoidable with IAP.

Except it should only ask when you go to purchase and if it hasn't authenticated in awhile, not randomly.

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007

Endless Mike posted:

Except it should only ask when you go to purchase and if it hasn't authenticated in awhile, not randomly.

Or use my Touch ID. What I'm saying is that I wouldn't randomly type passwords in unless I know I'm about to type in my password. I do agree that this is something a shitload of people would do.

There's also the crowd that just presses cancel on everything and wonders why their email/Apple ID / whatever else doesn't work

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

Khablam posted:

Apple support is generally nicer though. If you need nearly same-day service it's kinda unbeatable.

This is huge though. My friend's 5X broke under warranty, he just didn't have a phone for a couple weeks. Granted, he did some stupid poo poo where he bought the phone in the US (we're Canadian) and the cross border shipping got really complicated. But if he had bought an iPhone in the US and it broke under warranty he likely could have walked into an Apple Store here and walked out 30 minutes later with a fixed or replaced phone. Any sort of phone support that requires me to be without a phone for more than a day is unacceptable.

I am eyeing the S8 because it's the hardware I wish the iPhone was, but the unlocked version on Amazon specifically says it's got no warranty. If I buy it through my provider I'll have to deal with them for service, and no doubt it'll come pre-loaded with a bunch of carrier apps on top of the Samsung apps, neither of which I want. Here in Canada the price difference isn't that bad either, $879 for the unlocked S8, $929 for the iPhone 8. If we're doing top of the line to top of the line the iPhone X will be $1319 here, and the Galaxy Note 8 is $1299.

I consider Android every release cycle, and have switched in the past. I think right now if I was already on Android I would stay on Android, but it definitely hasn't pulled ahead to the point where an ecosystem switch is worthwhile. Maybe in a couple years, but I'm hoping in a couple years when I need to upgrade again the X form factor will be awesome.

fourwood
Sep 9, 2001

Damn I'll bring them to their knees.

wooger posted:

Just updated to iOS 11.1 public beta 2: 3D Touch multi tasking is back and works as expected.

Joy. Federighi is not a liar.

I'm sooooo happy.

I think it's vastly superior to using the home button double-tap (it's fine if anyone disagrees) to simply open the task switcher. But even beyond that, the ability to immediately switch into the last app you were using is a huge benefit over the home button invocation to me.

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax

xilni posted:

This isn't actually true. You literally can't ruin your iPhone with a poorly made Lightning cable because the power spec doesn't allow it. At worst, a crappy Lightning cable might fall apart right away or charge your iPhone more slowly, which is the primary reason to go with Anker, AmazonBasics, etc, but it really doesn't matter much if you need an emergency cable from a gas station, Best Buy, or wherever. Just go for it. USB-A is nothing like the nightmare that is garbage USB-C cables that can and will set your phone on fire.

There's plenty of great charging bricks out there not made by Anker too. I use a 3-port charger at home and a 2-port car charger made by Aukey that are perfect for my needs. Just don't be naive about it and buy the cheapest, dodgiest charger from an unknown brand and you're fine.

xilni
Feb 26, 2014

Cough Drop The Beat posted:

This isn't actually true. You literally can't ruin your iPhone with a poorly made Lightning cable because the power spec doesn't allow it. At worst, a crappy Lightning cable might fall apart right away or charge your iPhone more slowly, which is the primary reason to go with Anker, AmazonBasics, etc, but it really doesn't matter much if you need an emergency cable from a gas station, Best Buy, or the like. Just go for it. USB-A is nothing like the nightmare that is garbage USB-C cables that can and will set your phone on fire.

There's plenty of great charging bricks out there not made by Anker too. I use a 3-port charger at home and a 2-port car charger made by Aukey that are perfect for my needs. Just don't be naive about it and buy the cheapest, dodgiest charger from an unknown brand and you're fine.

Sure the danger is mostly in the power bricks, less so the cables.

Cheap power adapters can most definitely ruin your day. Things like insufficient insulation on the coils, not properly isolating both sides of the 220/110 <—> 5V, etc... Granted most of the danger is with counterfeit Apple chargers who don’t care rather than a random brand which has even the slightest bit of accountability keeping them in line.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

This stupid loving app store bar within messages came back the other day and will not go away. I don't want it there, don't need it there and it was gone since I upgraded to 11 but suddenly came back yesterday.

It'll go away if you touch in the messages part like you're going to start typing, but if you go back to the main messages screen and then back into a specific message thread the loving thing is back.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Well maybe if people bought more sticker packs Apple wouldn't feel obligated to try and aggressively nag people to visit the app store!

Only time I've used it is to click the '...' icon and disable everything but hilariously you can't stop the app store from being visible.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
I use the SA emoticons and Giphy apps all the time. Just ignore it?

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Tap the grey App Store icon

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Another week, another minor iOS 11 update. iOS 11.0.3 is out:

quote:

- Fixes an issue where audio and haptic feedback would not work on some iPhone 7 and iPhone 7 Plus devices

- Addresses an issue where touch input was unresponsive on some iPhone 6s displays because they were not serviced with genuine Apple parts

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Thanks!!!

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Quantum of Phallus posted:

This doesn't seem to last forever though. I've done this a couple times and the app bar comes back eventually.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

xzzy posted:

This doesn't seem to last forever though. I've done this a couple times and the app bar comes back eventually.

Never came back for me

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001
Yeah, tapped once when iOS 11 hit GM. It's never came back on its own for me.

azzenco
Jan 16, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Matt Zerella posted:

I use the SA emoticons and Giphy apps all the time. Just ignore it?

how do you get the SA emoticons?

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

azzenco posted:

how do you get the SA emoticons?

If you have awful.app installed, it's in there.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

xzzy posted:

This doesn't seem to last forever though.

Has for me.

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

The awful emoticons show up huge af to people on Android. Do they look normal to people on iOS?

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Blind Rasputin posted:

The awful emoticons show up huge af to people on Android.

Good

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!

Blind Rasputin posted:

The awful emoticons show up huge af to people on Android. Do they look normal to people on iOS?

Android phones show up huge af to people. Do they look normal to Android people?

Kerbtree
Sep 8, 2008

BAD FALCON!
LAZY!
So, speaking of USB-C, as a former Nexus 5X owner I've got a safe Google USB-C charger kicking around. Would the be any benefit to my 7 in getting a cable and using it?

Rubiks Pubes
Dec 5, 2003

I wanted to be a neo deconstructivist, but Mom wouldn't let me.
My notes app is a mess after ios11. It freezes constantly. I tried deleting it from my phone and Re downloading it from the App Store and it did the same thing after taking forever to resync my notes from iCloud.

This is on a 7+

Not experiencing the same issue with my iPad Pro though. Weird

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Kerbtree posted:

So, speaking of USB-C, as a former Nexus 5X owner I've got a safe Google USB-C charger kicking around. Would the be any benefit to my 7 in getting a cable and using it?

None aside from convenience

Teabag Dome Scandal
Mar 19, 2002

TraderStav posted:

Something hosed up is going on with my cellular data since iOS11. I didn't realize it until my billing period restarted (after getting throttled down on T-mobile for destroying my 6GB and data stash on some runaway usage) as I reset all the data in the settings app. I think I caught the biggest culprit of Google Photos suddenly deciding to upload 1,000 Live Photos (new feature? this why not uploaded before?) but I'm getting several hundred megs a day in rogue usage I can't quite pin down. In two days my 'Time and Location' system service has used 260mb. I went through and shut down nearly every location service off of Always. What's weird is that I've mostly been on WiFI this whole time. In my T-mobile app I show that at 3:30am this morning I used 85megs, while my phone was next to my bed charging on WiFi. Why would my phone circumvent wifi to use that much data?

Any ideas on how to narrow this down? WiFi assist is off. Background usage is off for most apps that make sense and those aren't showing up in data usage.

I had weird data issues after updating but it was more along the lines of being connected to a tower and having zero data until I switched to a different one. Resetting my network settings fixed it. This was on AT&T.

I would usually clear out of these if they were unprompted but last month doing that unenrolled me from iMessage.

Teabag Dome Scandal fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Oct 11, 2017

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

Khablam posted:

That said, Google were giving 6p owners with issues free upgrades to a Pixel, so they're at least trying hard now.

The discussion problem remains. 'Android' is the code base, but people have occasional issues with [specific manufacturer].
No one says "no more windows or Linux for me" because their Dells screen broke, so I'm never sure why the lines are drawn so binary.

This is the trajectory of most iPhone users who try the other side:

- iPhone is expensive, lets try something else
- Oh hey this moto thing is cheap!! $150 ??
- Oh gee this isn't a flagship experience~~
- Oh the support here isn't first rate
- Android is bad
- Spends $850+ on an iPhone
- Now this is what I was missing!

Case in point, the 6p released at $499 for a 5.7in amoled (but rapidly dropped or got bundled for $100 less), that year's comparative iPhone was a 5.5in LCD for $750.

Come on down to Australia and see what an apple mark up really is :v:

Iphone X $1579
If I buy one in a couple of months when I'm in the US (with current conversion rate) $1282

For the big one
Here $1829
There (converted) $1474

And people wonder why we're a nation of pirates when this is sadly the absolute norm.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

iajanus posted:

Come on down to Australia and see what an apple mark up really is :v:

Iphone X $1579
If I buy one in a couple of months when I'm in the US (with current conversion rate) $1282

For the big one
Here $1829
There (converted) $1474

And people wonder why we're a nation of pirates when this is sadly the absolute norm.

Pfft, you're a nation of pirates because you're our exported convicts :v: