Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
Rajoy to Puigdemont: "So, just to be clear, have you actually declared independence?"

Confirmation is a required step in order to eventually cancel the autonomy of Catalonia, but I find hilarious that we have to check anyway.

Fat Samurai fucked around with this message at 11:24 on Oct 11, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hump day bitches!
Apr 3, 2011

Fat Samurai posted:

Rajoy to Puigdemont: "So, just to be clear, have you actually declared independence?"

Confirmation is a required step in order to eventually cancel the autonomy of Catalonia, but I find hilarious that we have to check anyway.

That's one way to start a dialogue.Also probably the most galician of answers, a question.

beer_war
Mar 10, 2005

Schrödinger's declaration of independence.

Ulvino
Mar 20, 2009

hump day bitches! posted:

That's one way to start a dialogue.Also probably the most galician of answers, a question.

:cryingoctopusflag:

hump day bitches!
Apr 3, 2011

Either way this is not the official requirement to go back to normalcy ,previous to asking the senate for permission to 155 catalonia.

This is just a question.

hump day bitches! fucked around with this message at 12:16 on Oct 11, 2017

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

Fat Samurai posted:

I've seen this sitcom episode. Puigdemont is gonna have lunch with Rajoy and assure him that everything's fine and they haven't declared independence, then he'll excuse himself to go to the bathroom, change clothes and quickly rush to a political rally next door where he'll tell his followers Catalonia is a free country now and they're only going to negotiate with Spain for better terms.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
It's like they're one step up from the May government negotiating Brexit.

Europe is a sitcom now.

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

beer_war posted:

Schrödinger's declaration of independence.

C'mon, its Shrodinger's Catalonia

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Don't forget to show my shitposts to the people. They're well worth seeing.

Can anyone recommend a Guide to the Perplexed for the current Catalonia situation? I'm trying to piece things together from news reports and half-remembered factoids about the Spanish Civil War.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

honestly going back and reading the goon arguments and occasional infodumps is as informative as you're going to get.

that or just playing europa universalis until you have an unassailable grasp on all political topics as is traditional

Dawncloack
Nov 26, 2007
ECKS DEE!
Nap Ghost

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

honestly going back and reading the goon arguments and occasional infodumps is as informative as you're going to get.

that or just playing europa universalis until you have an unassailable grasp on all political topics as is traditional

Stop misleading people, you troll! One should totally start with Crusader Kings.

Not So Fast
Dec 27, 2007

SMH if you don't realise all problems with European politics are rooted in the fall of Rome.

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Dawncloack posted:

Stop misleading people, you troll! One should totally start with Crusader Kings.

Oh, I did, but I'm not sure how the inevitable Fraticelli Irish dominion over the Kingdom of Aragon factors into this.

Not So Fast posted:

SMH if you don't realise all problems with European politics are rooted in the fall rise of Rome.

:colbert:

Dawncloack
Nov 26, 2007
ECKS DEE!
Nap Ghost

Goon Danton posted:

Oh, I did, but I'm not sure how the inevitable Fraticelli Irish dominion over the Kingdom of Aragon factors into this.

Well then you are beyond help.

More seriously, check my post history, there's an infodump about a month ago. Just my opinion. From that point on other people have added stuff. Read it all.

edit I was bored and found it for you.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3767159&pagenumber=493&perpage=40#post476369641

Dawncloack fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Oct 11, 2017

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
"Catalans, dumber than corsicans - 'We want a debate' "
https://twitter.com/CHVPSL/status/9...mmentee-espagne

I'm not sure they're on point with this but I'll take the jab at corsicans anyway.

unpacked robinhood fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Oct 11, 2017

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Dawncloack posted:

Well then you are beyond help.

More seriously, check my post history, there's an infodump about a month ago. Just my opinion. From that point on other people have added stuff. Read it all.

edit I was bored and found it for you.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3767159&pagenumber=493&perpage=40#post476369641

Thanks! I have some reading to do then.

Pluskut Tukker
May 20, 2012

This piece in the Washington Post from someone who has been researching Spanish partisan politics may also be interesting:

quote:

These events — and particularly the disputed results of the referendum — give the impression that Catalans are clamoring for independence. But this is wrong. Before the referendum, a minority of Catalans supported independence. The most recent survey by the Catalan government’s Center for Opinion Studies (CEO), which was conducted in July, showed that only a minority of Catalans (35 percent) supported independence. Before 2010, it was rare for more than 20 percent of Catalans to support independence. After 2010, support increased for two reasons. First, the Great Recession struck, leading to widespread unemployment. Second, the Constitutional Court struck down an overhaul of Catalonia’s statute of autonomy — the equivalent of its constitution — at the request of Spain’s conservative People’s Party. In 2013, support for independence peaked at 49 percent. But since then, support for independence has declined, falling below 40 percent last fall. In fact, in the most recent survey, 76 percent of Catalans actually identified with Spain. In another survey, 56 percent of Catalans stated that they would never vote for the Catalan president’s party. Support for Catalan secession is, thus, far from overwhelming.

(...)

My research shows that confrontation between separatists and the Spanish national government may help the secessionist cause. In 2016, before this most recent battle over independence, I conducted experiments in Spain that showed how partisan conflict strengthens support for Catalan nationalism.

Two experiments showed how much partisan conflict can polarize opinions. These experiments involved samples of people in Catalonia and Galicia, another Spanish region where nationalism is present. One group of people simply read their preferred party’s position on a nationalist issue. But another group read about the conflicting positions of their preferred party and a party they disliked.

Not only did reading about party conflict tend to polarize opinions, but it made people who preferred a nationalist party more supportive of a nationalist position. This was especially true among those people who identified with both their region and the country as a whole. That is very important, because even in Spanish regions with significant support for independence, most people identify with both Spain and their region. For example, 69 percent of Catalans identify with both Catalonia and Spain.

Even more relevant is a second experiment, conducted in a survey by Making Electoral Democracy Work. All respondents read about the Catalan government’s plan for unilateral independence. Half of the respondents were then told that the People’s Party opposes it.

Catalans who identified with both Catalonia and Spain became more supportive of independence if they read about the People Party’s opposition. Why? Because the People’s Party is extremely unpopular in Catalonia. Eighty-five percent of Catalans say they would never vote for it.

In short, Catalans are not hardcore separatists in many respects. Many do not support secession, and especially a unilateral move toward secession. Many identify with both Catalonia and Spain. These sentiments were visible in the people at Sunday’s rally in support of a unified Spanish state.

But conflict between Catalan nationalist parties and the central government may push even ambivalent Catalans toward independence. Thus, nationalist leaders in Catalonia have a continued incentive to stoke this dispute with the Spanish government.

The corrollary to this is that because nobody in Catalonia votes for the PP either (they got 11% of the vote there the last time around), the PP has an incentive to stoke the dispute too, since that can help them increase their support with Spanish nationalists outside Catalonia:

quote:

In addition, both governments enjoy strong popular support. The ruling conservative People’s Party (PP) in Madrid can comfortably win a national election without courting voters in Catalonia, where it obtained a meager 11% of the vote in 2015. Likewise, the separatist parties can easily secure a majority in the Catalan parliament. Besides, thanks to governmental control of public broadcasters and generous public subsidies to private media outlets, both sides can deploy a reliable army of fiercely motivated journalists and intellectuals whose incendiary comments are contributing to the conflict’s escalation.
The actors in the Spanish drama are facing what political scientists call a social dilemma: either side gains from selfish behavior unless the other side behaves selfishly, too, in which case both sides lose.

Both unionists and separatists would be better off with a second-best solution. For example, the separatists could renounce a unilateral declaration of independence in exchange for talks on constitutional reforms that would move Spain in a federal direction. A constitutional amendment that allowed symbolic changes, like an official declaration of Catalonia as a “nation,” or substantive initiatives, like a fiscal pact, would satisfy most Catalans while maintaining Spain’s territorial integrity.
The problem is that both sides believe that showing willingness to compromise would weaken their future bargaining situation. Research in political science, however, indicates that the opposite may be true. Following insights by the Nobel laureate Elinor Ostrom, we know that social dilemmas can be solved using the inverse strategy: giving instead of demanding. If one party exhibits cooperative behavior, its rival may feel forced to reciprocate, leading to a spiral of cooperation instead of retaliation, and of trust instead of suspicion.
This is what is required now in Catalonia. Both the Spanish government and the Catalan separatists must acknowledge that, if they act with sensible generosity, the other side may respond with further concessions.

Don't hold your breath for any of this to happen though.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.
Bet on the most stupid outcome and you"ll win.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
So Spain and Catalonia are engaged in the Prisoner's Dilemma. Fitting.

Dawncloack
Nov 26, 2007
ECKS DEE!
Nap Ghost
That reads like a sensible article.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

French-german relations: an overview:

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

double nine posted:

:five:

Kopijeger
Feb 14, 2010

double nine posted:

Mighty prescient of her to meet with Colonel De Gaulle in '39 instead of President Lebrun.

lost in postation
Aug 14, 2009

That is a bit of an unfortunate date to pick, considering what was going on in both countries at the time.

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

double nine posted:

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

Pushdemont, a git command that pushes your commit, then reverts it after 8 seconds:

https://github.com/voghDev/git-pushdemont

beer_war
Mar 10, 2005

Elman posted:

Pushdemont, a git command that pushes your commit, then reverts it after 8 seconds:

https://github.com/voghDev/git-pushdemont

Well, actually, it doesn't do anything.

:goonsay:

Of course, that only makes it more appropiate.

BabyFur Denny
Mar 18, 2003
It took me a while to get that one until I realised I was in the European Politics thread and not in one of the software engineering ones.

beer_war
Mar 10, 2005

From one of the issues in that repo:

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

beer_war posted:

Well, actually, it doesn't do anything.

:goonsay:

Of course, that only makes it more appropiate.

It now actually does the push and reverts it, correctly signalling the remote that it's doing something and then suspending the changes.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

beer_war posted:

From one of the issues in that repo:

404 nation state not found

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Can anyone comment on the Austrian election? It looks like the far right party did pretty well?

Antifa Poltergeist
Jun 3, 2004

"We're not laughing with you, we're laughing at you"

So aparently the ecb withheld greeces payments of their share of the smp program profits at the behest of the eurogroup,you know,that informal group that as no legal standing in the eu,but can dictate policy to the independent ecb?so thats nice.

Really cool letter from draghi to a greek member of the eu parliament.mega cool even.

Lol the payments where aparently whitholded during the 2nd bailout kerfufle.The right to be blackmailed must be one of the secret clauses in the lisbon treaty.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

ChainsawCharlie posted:

So aparently the ecb withheld greeces payments of their share of the smp program profits at the behest of the eurogroup,you know,that informal group that as no legal standing in the eu,but can dictate policy to the independent ecb?so thats nice.

Really cool letter from draghi to a greek member of the eu parliament.mega cool even.

Lol the payments where aparently whitholded during the 2nd bailout kerfufle.The right to be blackmailed must be one of the secret clauses in the lisbon treaty.

Did you actually read the letter? It doesn't seem to talk about "their" share of the SMP payments, but rather that Greece has been getting extra money from the other governments since 2012 (equal to the interest earned by the other governments from Greek debt), in an effort to help their flagging economy, which has admittedly been withheld on that occasion, due to a political decision of the other governments. (this includes Portugal too mind you) "Eurogroup" simply being a term for the EU national governments.

I'm not terribly aware of the particularities of it all though, so if you could explain your view in more detail it might help.

e: specifically this:

quote:

Moreover, in recent years the ECB’s annual accounts contained information on the net
interest income arising from the ECB’s SMP holdings of Greek government bonds. In line with the ECB's
commitment to transparency, I am pleased to provide you with the information you requested regarding the
net interest income earned on Greek securities purchased by the Eurosystem national central banks (NCBs)
under the SMP, which amounted to €7.8 billion over the period 2012-16.

In the past, the euro area Member States passed on to Greece, through a segregated account, amounts
equivalent to their NCB’s income share in the SMP portfolio, together with the amounts arising from their
NCB’s income from Greek government bond holdings under the respective ANFA portfolios. This decision
was taken by the Eurogroup in February 2012 with the aim of further improving the sustainability of Greece’s
public debt in the context of the second economic adjustment programme for Greece.

In conclusion, let me repeat that any future decisions on the transfer to the Greek State of amounts
equivalent to the NCBs’ income do not fall within the remit of the ECB or the NCBs, but rather that of the
national governments of the euro area Member States.

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 14:55 on Oct 14, 2017

Pluskut Tukker
May 20, 2012

ChainsawCharlie posted:

I don't see how you get this out of that letter. This is the only thing it says about the role of the eurogroup:

quote:

In the past, the euro area Member States passed on to Greece, through a segregated account, amounts
equivalent to their NCB’s income share in the SMP portfolio, together with the amounts arising from their
NCB’s income from Greek government bond holdings under the respective ANFA portfolios. This decision
was taken by the Eurogroup in February 2012 with the aim of further improving the sustainability of Greece’s
public debt in the context of the second economic adjustment programme for Greece

My interpretation would be that this is the eurogroup deciding to send their share of the profits made as a result of their national central banks having to buy Greek bonds to Greece, i.e. giving Greece money. In other words, this is not the money of the ECB, and Greece was never entitled to this money, it was just a way to pass money to it (probably to reduce the total size of the bailout and make it politically easier to approve).

The reason for all of the decisionmaking in the eurogroup was that the other euro area member states collectively lent Greece a shitload of money. So they discussed their common interests as creditors to the Greek state in a body of which their relevant officials, namely the finance ministers, were conveniently already a member, namely the eurogroup. They could have decided to comply with the Lisbon Treaty of course, but in that case Greece wouldn't have received any money at all (I still think that would have been the worse outcome, but at this point I understand if people disagree).

ed: I see Private Speech beat me to it. The only thing I'd add is that Greece as far as I know never actually received this money, because its creditors were never happy about its compliance with the MoU/ were total assholes, depending on your point of view.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Pluskut Tukker posted:

ed: I see Private Speech beat me to it. The only thing I'd add is that Greece as far as I know never actually received this money, because its creditors were never happy about its compliance with the MoU/ were total assholes, depending on your point of view.

That's only the money they would have received had the program continued, right? In any case I don't see how this has anything to do with ECB. It's handling of Greece was not ideal, but for the most part better than how the creditor countries acted. (which was itself better than how the US treated some of it's most unsustainably indebted states)

e: Having some federal programs for things like education, the way the US does, would be rather nice though. While Erasmus and such are fine, it's nowhere near as useful as unified primary education systems would be.

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 15:35 on Oct 14, 2017

Blut
Sep 11, 2009

if someone is in the bottom 10%~ of a guillotine

actionjackson posted:

Can anyone comment on the Austrian election? It looks like the far right party did pretty well?

Well it isn't being held until October 15th, so nobody knows as of yet. But this is what polling as of this week shows:

The parties are:

Freedom Party: the far right. Who are still polling well by European standards, but have slipped almost 10% since their highs. Generally on the fringe, due to being known for lots of xenophobia and airbrushing of Austria's Nazi past. Support for them has surged since the migration crisis however, similar to far-right, anti-migration, parties in the rest of Europe.

People's Party: Traditional centre-right. Under a new young Macron-style leader in Sebastien Kurz, who is only 31. They've jumped 13% recently at a combination of the Freedom Party and the Social Democrats expense. This has occurred because the People's Party has stolen most of the Freedom Party's rhetoric on immigration (ie lets limit it drastically) which is winning them huge amounts of support across the political spectrum. They're still remaining reasonable on things like being pro-EU, and aren't semi fascists like the Freedom Party, so a lot of people are delighted to have a party to vote for that is actually listening to their concerns on migration.

Social Democrats: suffering the same malaise/decline as the centre-left across Europe. Have focused too much on identity politics at the expense of their working class roots.

Greens: traditional minority Green party.

Depending on how the election day goes we'll probably get a grand coalition between the People's Party and the Social Democrats, or else a right-wing government with the Freedom Party and the People's Party. My money would be on a People's Party & Social Democrats coalition personally, because I think the Freedom Party are still a bit too toxic for a lot of people.

Antifa Poltergeist
Jun 3, 2004

"We're not laughing with you, we're laughing at you"

Yeah, i'll admit that my post was pretty bare bones and its not greeces share of the smp, but the agreed upon value of the interest paid on the greek bonds.
To explain further my understanding:

That letter is draghi stating that the total amount of interest collected on greece's public bonds by the SMP was 7,8 BE from 2012 to 2016.
All this money is bundled up in a market pool and distributed to NBC's according to their participation\share in the ECB.
It was decided in February 2012 that the other countries would forego their share of this market pool and send that money to greece, basically turning those greece loans interest free.
The problem is the SMP pool money is paid to the ECBS constituents NBC's. This is an mildly important diference.
LIke Plusku said, that was probably done to soften the bailout amount and was actually a (probably?likely?maybe?) a good thing.
However, like Pluskut said, Greece never actually received this money, for a variety of reasons.(It was because people are assholes)

Pluskut Tukker
May 20, 2012

Private Speech posted:

That's only the money they would have received had the program continued, right? In any case I don't see how this has anything to do with ECB. It's handling of Greece was not ideal, but for the most part better than how the creditor countries acted. (which was itself better than how the US treated some of it's most unsustainably indebted states)

The ECB under Trichet infamously sent a letter to the governments of Spain and Italy telling them to reform, or else (here's a story on the letter to Spain). They also sent such a letter to Ireland. There's plenty to criticise the ECB for. However, we don't need to add the charge of letting itself be led by the Eurogroup to that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.
Re Greek SMP profits:

The ECB started an SMP program where it bought bonds of distressed Euro countries on the market to create a downward pressure on the interest rates of these bonds, which allowed the targeted countries to issue new bonds at cheaper rates than without the SMP program.

The ECB, as an independent organisation, passes it's profits and losses to the NCB (national central banks) according to their share in the ECB and under regular circumstances, this would include profits from programs like the SMP program. It's important to note that those profits do NOT come at the cost of national governments.

In the case of Greece there was the issue that Greek bonds (except for the ECB held bonds bought as part of the SMP program) suffered a haircut as part of the 2nd bailout. At this point the eurozone members, who would benefit from the SMP profits, agreed that they will pass this money on to Greece as part of the second bailout - the ECB was not part of that agreement. When the 2nd bailout ended unsuccessfully in June 2015, so did the agreement to pass the SMP profits on to Greece.