Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

On the positive, they don't care so Wyshinski can probably do whatever he wants.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
I can't imagine the staff at Puck Daddy was any bigger, and they'll get all the podcast stuff too.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together
ESPN had good hockey writers and good online stuff, it just never was on TV

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

I went to Puck Daddy out of curiosity and it is entirely hollowed out, read several articles and they had the same two bylines, rlam and some Justin (?) guy, not Bourne.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Awful Announcing posted:

In essence, ESPN has replaced Pierre LeBrun, Scott Burnside, Joe McDonald, Craig Constance, and several others with former MMQB reporter Emily Kaplan and Wyshynski. Though we won’t call that an even swap, the network is clearly committed to at least some hockey coverage.

"some" is a hell of an overstatement

Work Friend Keven
Oct 24, 2015

I'M A BIG STUPID IDIOT WHO GETS TRIGGERED FROM THE WORDS SPORTS BALL AND HAS SHIT OPINIONS ABOUT CARD GAMES. ALSO I SAID I WAS GOING TO QUIT HEARTHSTONE OUT OF SPITE OF A TAIWANESE WINNING THE CHAMPIONSHIP SO REPORT ME IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A HS THREAD

DJExile posted:

lmao jesus

like why are they even bothering? It's been known for well over a decade now that ESPN hasn't given a poo poo about the NHL and I can't imagine they think this is going to suddenly turn that perception around.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dgct3Jn8pFA

Work Friend Keven
Oct 24, 2015

I'M A BIG STUPID IDIOT WHO GETS TRIGGERED FROM THE WORDS SPORTS BALL AND HAS SHIT OPINIONS ABOUT CARD GAMES. ALSO I SAID I WAS GOING TO QUIT HEARTHSTONE OUT OF SPITE OF A TAIWANESE WINNING THE CHAMPIONSHIP SO REPORT ME IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A HS THREAD
If by "Why are they even bothering?" you meant ESPN and not the writers, I apologize for posting the Simpsons at you.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Work Friend Keven posted:

If by "Why are they even bothering?" you meant ESPN and not the writers, I apologize for posting the Simpsons at you.

yeah it was that, although in retrospect I can see how it'd sound like i was calling out th ewriters

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

https://twitter.com/steakNstiffarms/status/918177753144311809

3 guesses as to what sports site wrote this and thought it was in any way acceptable or enforceable

v got it in one v

Luigi Thirty fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Oct 11, 2017

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost
Barstool

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Barstool Sports is Douche Chills: The Website

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Benne posted:

Barstool Sports is Douche Chills: The Website

The most Boston of websites.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 8 hours!
I'm amazed that Barstool thought their response to this story should be an unhinged video reply that basically hits every misogynistic reply possible short of complaining that she wouldn't expose herself to them because she wasn't any fun.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
https://twitter.com/StelliniTweets/status/918231860655902720

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

Pretty sick how she didnt say who it was, but everyone knew who it was, and they admitted it on their own by having their idiot in charge fling poop for 3 minutes. ESPN had really better bail on them

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

I think ESPN cares less about Barstool and more about Pardon My Take which is actually really good.

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
Hope this leads to PMT bailing on Barstool, but there seems to be a dumb sense of loyalty there even from dudes who should know betterr

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
Eh Barstool is poo poo but, that type of agreement isn't rare in spaces where there is a writers room for comedy or production work.

It's usually separate from an actual harrasment policy from HR that you usually get.

Willninho
Aug 14, 2007
I get everything about Barstool besides the snitching nature of the fans. Is this just common now among fan bases and this is the one I'm seeing the most now?

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

Willninho posted:

I get everything about Barstool besides the snitching nature of the fans. Is this just common now among fan bases and this is the one I'm seeing the most now?

No, they are far and away the worst at this. They namesearch and even if some rando with 100 followers says "wow barstool really sucks" they're in the replies tagging in Portnoy or KFC. The fact that they do absolutely nothing to discourage this is why all their "but we don't promote or tolerate harassment" stuff is such empty, meaningless bullshit.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

xbilkis posted:

Hope this leads to PMT bailing on Barstool, but there seems to be a dumb sense of loyalty there even from dudes who should know betterr

It's still probably the best spot for him. He's a real funny guy and no matter what you think about Barstool, they are really good at getting content out there and limiting restrictions on it (which can be good and bad). He went from writing weekly satire on SBnation for a few hundred bucks a pop to having one of the most popular sports podcasts out there. Guy got a profile in Rolling Stone this week.

What other outlet could possibly get him this kind of exposure and not force him to tone down his schtick? The Ringer maybe?

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Some idiot asked Bryce Harper how he thought the Cubs/Dodgers series would go. Harper handled it fair well, and Casey Stern of TBS put the guy on blast.

https://twitter.com/BackAftaThis/status/918711928834240514

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

Niwrad posted:

It's still probably the best spot for him. He's a real funny guy and no matter what you think about Barstool, they are really good at getting content out there and limiting restrictions on it (which can be good and bad). He went from writing weekly satire on SBnation for a few hundred bucks a pop to having one of the most popular sports podcasts out there. Guy got a profile in Rolling Stone this week.

What other outlet could possibly get him this kind of exposure and not force him to tone down his schtick? The Ringer maybe?

I always thought it'd be a limited gimmick and at some point he'd have to break kayfabe and become just another guy out there, but he's gone further and had more success within the gimmick then I thought possible, so good on him.

At some point PMT is gonna have to realize that Barstool is limiting their growth/appeal. Either they can stay loyal and not maximize their potential, or break free and risk Barstool's mouth-breathing audience turning on them. There's the remote possibility they somehow influence Barstool to grow up and stop being racist mysognists dicks, but I wouldn't bet on that.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 8 hours!

C. Everett Koop posted:

At some point PMT is gonna have to realize that Barstool is limiting their growth/appeal. Either they can stay loyal and not maximize their potential, or break free and risk Barstool's mouth-breathing audience turning on them. There's the remote possibility they somehow influence Barstool to grow up and stop being racist mysognists dicks, but I wouldn't bet on that.

Agreed. There's a certain segment of a potential audience that rejects Barstool that they could get, if they break free.

Adun
Apr 15, 2001

Publicola
Fun Shoe

AsInHowe posted:

Agreed. There's a certain segment of a potential audience that rejects Barstool that they could get, if they break free.

I dunno. I've subscribed to PMT for about a year now and I've never been on Barstool. It's pretty easy to separate the two.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

Adun posted:

I dunno. I've subscribed to PMT for about a year now and I've never been on Barstool. It's pretty easy to separate the two.

Up until the next time someone from Barstool goes too far and the heat really falls on PMT. Their new show has the Barstool label, not their own, and the more visibility they get the more people will hold them responsible for the rest of the chucklefucks on the site.

Then again ESPN could decide the MAGA crowd is the one they want so who knows.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.
Yeah I have friends who never go to barstool but love PMT.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

lmao at bill simmons writing 10,000 words about how jemele hill is exactly like the time bill simmons was silenced for getting angry about deflategate

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

R.D. Mangles posted:

lmao at bill simmons writing 10,000 words about how jemele hill is exactly like the time bill simmons was silenced for getting angry about deflategate

I can't believe that a white author would take the work of a black author and make it all about themselves.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 8 hours!
The real highlight of Bill Simmons today is his podcast with Bob Costas. One segment is as follows:

- Bob Costas hosted a late-night interview show after Letterman on NBC.
- Bob considered leaving NBC for CBS because Dave wanted him to follow the Late Show, but Bob turned it down.
- Bob then recently read an article about sports figures who could host late night shows, and the author mentioned how Bob Costas could never do that, because he has no sense of humor. Bob was very mad about this! Bob was very mad that the internet has allowed anyone to write something like that without having any knowledge and background of the topic.

None of this is a joke. Here is Later with Bob Costas, a 15:44 uncut, dead serious interview with Bobby "The Brain" Heenan. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jwilzinSXT8

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

R.D. Mangles posted:

oh my god this is a real thing

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Why would you doubt it it's the most Bill thing possible.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
I didn't realize he still wrote things, I thought he just did podcasts with his buddy Snot or whatever

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

MourningView posted:

I didn't realize he still wrote things, I thought he just did podcasts with his buddy Snot or whatever
The Ringer's ratings and traffic have been deflating like one of Tom Brady's footballs, so Bill is trying to rescue his website by getting off his podcasting couch and contributing a weekly NFL picks/mailbag/what's on my mind column.

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

FMguru posted:

The Ringer's ratings and traffic have been deflating like one of Tom Brady's footballs, so Bill is trying to rescue his website by getting off his podcasting couch and contributing a weekly NFL picks/mailbag/what's on my mind column.

https://www.alexa.com/siteinfo/theringer.com

Bill is a baby and he sucks but you could try to do some cursory research too

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

That article reminds me of what Charlie Pierce once said about Bill's book. It was something along the lines of "somewhere in there is a good book." I think somewhere in that article was a good (albeit not new) point about the inherent conflicts of interest ESPN has. Yet, instead of expanding on that he reverted to his default egotism.

So far one of the best "takes" I've heard about this whole situation was from Le Batard. I'm not sure if he's completely correct but he basically said a big problem here was that Hill was doing it on twitter. According to him, had she just suggested what she tweeted on her show she would have never been suspended because all the attention would be centred around ESPN DEBATE and not on her own account. Then again, maybe its naive to think that just b/c old honkeys can dog whistle on first take doesn't mean a black woman can speak her mind.

Either way, it's still stupid. She didn't say anything inflammatory. People suggest "boycotts" all the time, hell, one of the most popular refrains in sport debates is "if you don't like it stop watching." She should be able to use her own Twitter account to speak her mind. That explanation though at least got me thinking that it wasn't 100% based on ESPN being loser cowards, just 90% cowards and 10% greedy.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
I think it can't be overlooked that Jemele Hill is also a woman in a male-dominated field and that makes the kind of dumbasses who get mad at her uncomfortable in the first place. Bomani Jones tweets equally controversial things as her all the time but as far as I can tell has never gotten in real trouble with the network.

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

Cool Buff Man posted:

https://www.alexa.com/siteinfo/theringer.com

Bill is a baby and he sucks but you could try to do some cursory research too

it's almost like the guy who didn't realize costas had a late night show

i read somebody's opinion a while back ringer traffic was bad because he wasn't writing, he was probably busy with the hbo show

at least this football season he had more than the same 3 podcast guests every week

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Henchman of Santa posted:

I think it can't be overlooked that Jemele Hill is also a woman in a male-dominated field and that makes the kind of dumbasses who get mad at her uncomfortable in the first place. Bomani Jones tweets equally controversial things as her all the time but as far as I can tell has never gotten in real trouble with the network.

That and They didn’t spend millions of dollars rebranding their flagship show around Bomani Jones.

For clarity, I don’t think that should matter, but it absolutely does.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Adun posted:

I never read anything on Barstool and listen to PMT pretty regularly, I even bought a pair of shirts from them (the Giants-logo SNACKS and YABO!) but I really regret giving them money now. I should have done...research? I guess?

I really only found out about a lot of Barstool's shittiness lately from people I follow on Twitter.