Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
haha 2k18 has sponsored achievements, that's fantastic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

What does that even mean?!

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Suplex Liberace posted:

What does that even mean?!

You know the trophies you can unlock playing games? Now it's the "KFC win this match" or the "Snickers win this way"

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
That is uniquely stupid.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Welcome to sports

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
Still is that like a first? Is the WWE 2k series innovating in gaming by introducing new levels of commercial debasement?

Someone notify Jim Sterling!

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The XBox has had sponsored achievements on a system level.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

I remember Fight Night Round 3 had some gross-rear end Burger King promotional stuff. You could get the King as a trainer, and I'm pretty sure doing so netted you an achievement.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Madden also had some in like 2011 or '12

It's just so rarely done because why would you

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

[quote="“Fart City”" post="“477195007”"]
I remember Fight Night Round 3 had some gross-rear end Burger King promotional stuff. You could get the King as a trainer, and I’m pretty sure doing so netted you an achievement.
[/quote]

Yeah that's a thing. It was at least kind of amusing to see that weird rear end mascot in a boxing ring.

Wouldn't the Burger King 360 games be another fairly recent sponsored achievement thing?

Sneak King was pretty fun.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

joylessdivision posted:

Wouldn't the Burger King 360 games be another fairly recent sponsored achievement thing?

Sneak King was pretty fun.
By "fairly recent" you mean "11 years ago", right?

They were pretty neat, though. I think they were the only games to have both a 360 and Original Xbox version on the same disk!

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

The Kins posted:

By "fairly recent" you mean "11 years ago", right?

They were pretty neat, though. I think they were the only games to have both a 360 and Original Xbox version on the same disk!

Jesus Christ it was thst long ago?

Yes I knew it was an old example but I honestly couldn't think of anything else that was as blatant that was more recent.

Remember when people were mad about advertising on billboards in video games :allears: the good old days.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

joylessdivision posted:

Remember when people were mad about advertising on billboards in video games :allears: the good old days.

I had a lot of trouble understanding why this would bother people so much. In sports games it makes perfect sense (especially if they're officially licensed professional games) because that's what you'd see in real life. UbiSoft also did it with Rainbow Six Vegas 2, which interspersed some real ads and fake ads in the expo hall areas of the game, and again it makes sense because there was a big trade show going on in said hall before all the poo poo went down. I think also one of the Battlefield games experimented with in-game ads on billboards and stuff in maps, I figure as long as it makes sense and is unobtrusive it's fine. Even Sam Fisher having a Sony Ericsson phone in some of the Splinter Cell games didn't seem too ridiculous to me (though I would imagine that a black ops agent would have the branding removed).

But of course people didn't like this stuff for whatever reason so now we have ad-based achievements, probably soon to be followed by ad-based killstreaks. "Killtrocity brought to you by Mounain Dew, coming to Halo 6".

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

super macho dude posted:

2k18 looks terrible and glitchier than an mkdickie game, I can't wait to sink too many hours into it

Why would you pay $60 for a game you're only going to play for 2 hours

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Angry_Ed posted:

I had a lot of trouble understanding why this would bother people so much. In sports games it makes perfect sense (especially if they're officially licensed professional games) because that's what you'd see in real life. UbiSoft also did it with Rainbow Six Vegas 2, which interspersed some real ads and fake ads in the expo hall areas of the game, and again it makes sense because there was a big trade show going on in said hall before all the poo poo went down. I think also one of the Battlefield games experimented with in-game ads on billboards and stuff in maps, I figure as long as it makes sense and is unobtrusive it's fine. Even Sam Fisher having a Sony Ericsson phone in some of the Splinter Cell games didn't seem too ridiculous to me (though I would imagine that a black ops agent would have the branding removed).

But of course people didn't like this stuff for whatever reason so now we have ad-based achievements, probably soon to be followed by ad-based killstreaks. "Killtrocity brought to you by Mounain Dew, coming to Halo 6".

Also, they have the parts to make Col Sanders in the CAW

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

Davros1 posted:

Mother of God. Please let there be a way to create a KFC title.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You can also create the Gobbledy Gooker, but only as an entrance attire

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

Davros1 posted:

Well that's just good strategy to rope in the Japan audience.

super macho dude
Aug 9, 2014

IcePhoenix posted:

Why would you pay $60 for a game you're only going to play for 2 hours

It takes me at least 3-4 hours to accurately create a wrestler

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

super macho dude posted:

It takes me at least 3-4 hours to accurately create a wrestler

More than Yuke's.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Davros1 posted:

I'm gonna make my storymode CAW the colonel and I don't care about anything else.

DoctorDelaware
Mar 24, 2013
I want a return of the ads from the Triple Play games (I think some of them got used in Mayhem, too.) Products like Chork, Lobster Cola, Ski Nebraska...

pressedbunny
May 31, 2007

To A Brand New Galaxy
My primary memory of WCW Mayhem is Schiavone shilling Chork.

That, and head of security Doug Dillinger being the most powerful character.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.

pressedbunny posted:

My primary memory of WCW Mayhem is Schiavone shilling Chork.

That, and head of security Doug Dillinger being the most powerful character.

WCW Mayhem was unintentionally awesome, like that one bit where Tony and Bobby just start arguing about some poo poo for a few minutes.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

2K forgot to change the icons for the DLC

super macho dude
Aug 9, 2014

This game is a hot loving mess. :lol: they forgot to add in the option to change your skin tone when initially starting MyCareer.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

super macho dude posted:

This game is a hot loving mess. :lol: they forgot to add in the option to change your skin tone when initially starting MyCareer.

So HHH was right?

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

a 2k game....is dogshit???? :eyepop:

CVagts
Oct 19, 2009
Say what you want about NBA 2K18 (and there is plenty to say) but there is a very good basketball game buried underneath the bullshit. I haven't enjoyed WWE 2K gameplay in ages.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

1st AD posted:

WCW Mayhem was unintentionally awesome, like that one bit where Tony and Bobby just start arguing about some poo poo for a few minutes.

WCW Mayhem gave me the wonderful Hennan-ism "the greco-roman low blow"

Dishwasher
Dec 5, 2006

Congratulations on not getting fit in 2011!

Chris James 2 posted:

Equipment Box looking Strong against Big Show

"This is one they'll be talking about at work or school tomorrow, that's for sure.." :shrek:

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

newLegacy are doing a midnight release stream. Come watch them break the game on day one.

Psychepath
Apr 30, 2003

Liar Lyre posted:

newLegacy are doing a midnight release stream. Come watch them break the game on day one.

It's so wild to see that they've been streaming for 8 years on a dozen sites and have grown to something like 500 subscribers and 2000 viewers tonight.

dsriggs
May 28, 2012

MONEY FALLS...

...FROM THE SKY...

...WHENEVER HE POSTS!
Watching the stream and goddamn this game LOOKS incredible.

Can't wait to see the ridiculous bugs.

gypsyshred
Oct 23, 2006
Xbox people; have you gotten the Cena Nuff stuff to work? It says installed, but I don’t see RVD anywhere. What am I missing?

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

No Way Jose looks horrifying.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

Elimination Chamber entrances seem a bit broken

Psychepath
Apr 30, 2003
Early review of 2k18: how do you feel about 2k17 with ambient occlusion turned waaaaay up? It's that, with cruiserweights, inexplicable slowdown, and a worse camera.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

How is the framerate so poo poo?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer

Testekill posted:

Elimination Chamber entrances seem a bit broken

The Eliminiation Chamber seems to be straining this game already.