Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

I missed the last 3 episodes of the Austin steamroll because of New York Comic Con stuff, but saw on a Jeopardy Facebook post that he's overtaken Arthur Chu for 5th place on the all time non-tournament winnings list, and in only 8 games while Chu needed 12 to make his amount. Now he's won 9, and I think Julia Collins in next on the list? Let's see how far he goes with this, he's awesome to watch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Syzygy Stardust
Mar 1, 2017

by R. Guyovich
http://www.vulture.com/2017/10/austin-rogers-jeopardy-winning-streak.html

quote:

Numbers cannot explain, though, how Rogers’s style has upset the game’s natural order. Wearing a misshapen pile of hair atop his head and a thick beard on his face — but sharp coats and ties, always — he is both unkempt and natty by the show’s drab standards. And the clothes are just the beginning. Rogers plays with joy and an attitude. During the show’s opening, when each (silent) contestant is introduced by announcer Johnny Gilbert, Rogers mugs and pantomimes. He’s a showman. When he had to reply to a clue with “the Eagles,” he grumbled. When he aced a Daily Double, he punched his arm across his body in exaltation.

And then there’s his banter with host Alex Trebek. Clearly each has boundless contempt for the other. Trebek can’t stand Austin’s jokes. Austin can’t stand Trebek’s presentation. When a sneering Trebek asked Rogers how he “got to be so smart,” Rogers deadpanned: “Genetics. Luck. Karma.” What about school?, Trebek asked. Pfft, Austin replied.

funktopus
Jan 11, 2009
So it looks like Austin got a haircut, get his beard trimmed, and either made him wear/provided a wardrobe more in line with what people expect from a Jeopardy contestant.
Also shot him up with Valium.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.
I like to imagine they held him down and shaved him

it would explain why his haircut is somehow worse now

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

Soothing Vapors posted:

I like to imagine they held him down and shaved him

it would explain why his haircut is somehow worse now

I dunno, it seems like this was a new week of taping, so maybe he decided to get the haircut for the hell of it during the weekend? I very much doubt Maggie or any one of the contestant coordinators would make him change his look, seeing as how people bitched about Arthur's look and he didn't really clean up, or Alex Jacob looking a bit scruffy.

Anyway, apparently Austin is doing live watch parties at a bunch of different bars every day on the Upper East Side of Manhattan (he posts which one on Twitter or whatever) and a Jeopardy friend on Facebook apparently crashed one of them. His photo presaged Austin's new look, and I was wondering when he'd gotten a new look and if he'd have it on camera. There's a question answered.

So It Goes
Feb 18, 2011
Apparently, this weeks episodes were taped I'm August and last weeks were back in April.

Ein cooler Typ
Nov 26, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
"Fired a gun from a hidden position"

clue needs past tense

Austin said "snipe" instead of "sniped" but the judges gave it to him anyway

wrong. they shouldn't have done that

and it could have had big implications because that was the last clue and it made the game a runaway (it ended up not mattering though because Austin knew final and second place guy didn't)

big trivia FAIL
May 9, 2003

"Jorge wants to be hardcore,
but his mom won't let him"

Ein cooler Typ posted:

clue needs past tense

and it could have had big implications because that was the last clue and it made the game a runaway (it ended up not mattering though because Austin knew final and second place guy didn't)

counterpoint: I hate it when they count ticky-tack stuff like that against someone. It's supposed to be a trivia game, not a pronunciation game

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
They forgive stuff that doesn't materially change the answer when it's obvious you know what you mean, like mispronouncing a vowel, so wrong verb tense is a gimme. AFAIK the only time you have to be super-precise is when it's the title of a specific work and even then they'll let slide something like forgetting the "the" at the start (especially in round 1).

big trivia FAIL
May 9, 2003

haveblue posted:

They forgive stuff that doesn't materially change the answer when it's obvious you know what you mean, like mispronouncing a vowel, so wrong verb tense is a gimme. AFAIK the only time you have to be super-precise is when it's the title of a specific work and even then they'll let slide something like forgetting the "the" at the start (especially in round 1).

Yeah, I watched a re-run today during my lunch break (the one where Trebek ice-burned "so...LOSERS!" to the hip-hop nerdcore chick), and they counted the guy saying "Revelations" against him re: the bible book

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...

haveblue posted:

It was a word question, asking for a specific word. Those are two different words and that was bullshit.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Unkempt posted:

It was a word question, asking for a specific word. Those are two different words and that was bullshit.

Maybe if he had said American Sniped

Seriously, though, "snipe" and "sniped" are the same word with a different conjugation. If the correct answer had been the noun sniper then he'd have been wrong but it wasn't.

haveblue fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Oct 11, 2017

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

haveblue posted:

Maybe if he had said American Sniped

Seriously, though, "snipe" and "sniped" are the same word with a different conjugation.

We call these things 'different words'.

big trivia FAIL
May 9, 2003

Unkempt posted:

We call these things 'different words'.

They're different forms not different words.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:
Keep going this has the potential to be the next hot dog/sandwich debate

big trivia FAIL
May 9, 2003

hey, s/he's the one arguing in favor of pedantry, i'm just trying to oblige.

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

big trivia FAIL posted:

hey, s/he's the one arguing in favor of pedantry, i'm just trying to oblige.

If pedantry involves getting the answer right and not obviously wrong then yep. I mean here we have people arguing that two words with different spellings, different lengths and clearly defined different meanings are in fact the same word. I don't loving know. I mean one is an anagram of 'penis' and one isn't ffs.

Like I said, if it wasn't a specific word question then OK, but they were asking for one word with a given meaning. The answer was right there but it wasn't the word he said. I don't get how this is even a thing.

big trivia FAIL
May 9, 2003

Unkempt posted:

If pedantry involves getting the answer right and not obviously wrong then yep. I mean here we have people arguing that two words with different spellings, different lengths and clearly defined different meanings are in fact the same word. I don't loving know. I mean one is an anagram of 'penis' and one isn't ffs.

Like I said, if it wasn't a specific word question then OK, but they were asking for one word with a given meaning. The answer was right there but it wasn't the word he said. I don't get how this is even a thing.

He gave them the right word, and they allowed the wrong form.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

Ein cooler Typ posted:

so in other words the judges cost Austin an awful lot of money

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Ein cooler Typ posted:

clue needs past tense

eeeeeeh I have no issue with their ruling, for all we know Austin heard "Fire a gun" instead of "fired". I did watching at home and was momentarily confused when there was debate about his answer.

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

big trivia FAIL posted:

He gave them the right word, and they allowed the wrong form.

OK, I give up. 'Buy' and 'bought' are the same word. 'Am' and 'will have been'? Same word. Whatever.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Unkempt posted:

OK, I give up. 'Buy' and 'bought' are the same word. 'Am' and 'will have been'? Same word. Whatever.

Meh, the response he gave fit both the clue and the category. The judges ruled on it, and they gave it to him. Not much people can do about it after the fact. The Austin train rolls on.

lelandjs posted:

eeeeeeh I have no issue with their ruling, for all we know Austin heard "Fire a gun" instead of "fired". I did watching at home and was momentarily confused when there was debate about his answer.

He can read the clue text on the board (albeit it is on a small screen across the stage, but it's there), so I doubt that's what happened.

big trivia FAIL
May 9, 2003

Unkempt posted:

Yes. The first are different forms of "to buy" and the latter are different forms of "to be".

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
More like big linguistic FAIL.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
I was pretty sure tonight was going to be the end of Austin since he didn’t get any huge daily double gambles. Turns out that he can win a “normal” round.

I was super surprised that all three flubbed the “All Things Considered” question, don’t Jeopardy nerds listen to NPR anymore?

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
My mom can't loving stand Austin. I chalk it up to her being an old woman.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

lelandjs posted:

I was pretty sure tonight was going to be the end of Austin since he didn’t get any huge daily double gambles. Turns out that he can win a “normal” round.

I was super surprised that all three flubbed the “All Things Considered” question, don’t Jeopardy nerds listen to NPR anymore?

When the other guy totally bombed a Double I was ready to call the game for Austin. Just wasn't in his league.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
Two days ago, but "Dorian Gray" really?

Syzygy Stardust
Mar 1, 2017

by R. Guyovich

Colonial Air Force posted:

Two days ago, but "Dorian Gray" really?

That one earned my disbelieving "you are a moron" laugh that pisses off my wife even when directed at TV people.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
I loved Austin's universal healthcare burn in last night's interview. This guy is great.

InsensitiveSeaBass
Apr 1, 2008

You're entering a realm which is unusual. Maybe it's magic, or contains some kind of monster... The second one. Prepare to enter The Scary Door.
Nap Ghost
He got interviewed by vulture, I completely agree with his bat flipping analogy. At least he hates Forrest bouncing.
http://www.vulture.com/2017/10/jeopardy-austin-rogers-interview.html

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
He's apparently on the tonight show tonight. Could signal that all you Austin haters are gonna get what you want tonight.

enigmahfc
Oct 10, 2003

EFF TEE DUB!!
EFF TEE DUB!!

Star Man posted:

My mom can't loving stand Austin. I chalk it up to her being an old woman.

I can't stand Austin because he seems like he'd be an insufferable douche to be around, and that he'd always be 'on''.

Also, I am old an woman.

enigmahfc fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Oct 12, 2017

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

enigmahfc posted:

I can't stand Austin because he seems like he'd be an insufferable douche to be around, and that he'd always be 'on''.

Also, I am old an woman.

He probably would be annoying to be around.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Star Man posted:

He probably would be annoying to be around.

From a local Jeopardy friend on Facebook who has been to one of Austin's viewing parties in Manhattan, he seems kinda short with people, which is kinda weird for a bartender. Maybe that was just his first impression of him, I dunno if they interacted much there.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Becoming famous overnight can mess with you, especially when you did it by winning a contest of skill.

zenguitarman
Apr 6, 2009

Come on, lemme see ya shake your tail feather

lol, trebek

dick tree

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:
Dick Tree

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
Well, if Austin had to go out, at least he did it with a Dick Tree.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
I was hoping he'd win 2 more to overtake Matt Jackson, but either way, what a great run.