Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
yeah, it took too long to get going. i thought it had some good jokes, but it wasn't particularly coherent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

that's too bad. it wasn't as good as beelzebub but I still liked it

it was better than robot x laserbeam anyway

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
[quote="“Manatee Cannon”" post="“477039428”"]
that’s too bad. it wasn’t as good as beelzebub but I still liked it

it was better than robot x laserbeam anyway
[/quote]

Thats no metric. If the Japanese readers took to U19 hard we'd still have that bum huffing waste of 17 pages stanking up the comic regardless of quality.

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

Hate-Senpai posted:

I guess Hungry Marie is cancelled now???

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I miss it already.

I haven't read the two latest chapters.

Perhaps I'm part of the problem.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

ConanThe3rd posted:

Thats no metric. If the Japanese readers took to U19 hard we'd still have that bum huffing waste of 17 pages stanking up the comic regardless of quality.

I know it's based on popularity. what I'm saying is that I wish something else had gotten the axe instead

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Last few jump starts were duds overall. Spring weapon no.1 somehow survives.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Fabricated posted:

Last few jump starts were duds overall. Spring weapon no.1 somehow survives.

The English Jump crew have been pretty pro at picking up the right ones in retrospect. Samon-Kun went on for a decent while and Spring Weapon is still kicking, and not getting Kimetsu no Yaiba was definitely a mistake, but other than those three I think the rest of the non-selected Jump Starts have been canceled before too long. I remember being disappointed that Marie and Poro were left behind in favor of Robot Laserbeam since I liked both more (although Doctor Stone and We Never Learn were still tops among the six, U19 doesn't even place) but I guess they made the right calls in the end.

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

What's stopping them from just adding KnY at some undetermined point in the future? I was under the impression Viz was basically an extension of Shokugan-Shueisha at this point.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Rangpur posted:

What's stopping them from just adding KnY at some undetermined point in the future? I was under the impression Viz was basically an extension of Shokugan-Shueisha at this point.

Nothing's stopping them! So much nothing that they actually added/will add it to the free section of the website/app already/soon. (It's all blocked here in Japan so I can't actually check.) It would be nice to have it in the proper magazine too, especially since they started things like Toriko, Nisekoi, and MHA in the middle rather than from the start but since it's in the free section I don't know if it will. Astra also runs in the free section rather than the magazine, which is quite confusing since it started there and would have been a great addition to the weekly magazine.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i realize that fire brigade of flames isn't terribly popular here, but the latest chapter was really important and i'd recommend everyone read it whether you like the rest of the manga or not. https://bato.to/reader#c344a23e83e6dbd8

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

i realize that fire brigade of flames isn't terribly popular here, but the latest chapter was really important and i'd recommend everyone read it whether you like the rest of the manga or not. https://bato.to/reader#c344a23e83e6dbd8

I literally did not read a single chapter of fire brigade of flames before, but this one was indeed worth it. :allears:

Now I kinda want to read rest of the manga, but I assume its nothing like this.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

it's a subpar shonen that does nothing particularly new or interesting. unless you're desperate for a new shonen series, you can safely skip it

that chapter is great but it doesn't require context to work

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!

The latest chapters of We Never Learn are extremely powerful :allears:

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
I really like that she's aware of everyone in the relationship web.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

If someone else didn't post the gut punch, I was going to. God that was too funny.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT
The shot of them all together shows that Asumi is actually taller than Rizu by a bit.

Rizu is loving tiny.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I'm rooting for teach.

Even moreso after the newest chapter.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Originally black hair was my least favorite, but now she's pretty great. She's a pretty atypical shounen harem romcom character. It also helps some that the main character isn't a dweeb and seems to have his poo poo together, so it's not totally inconceivable that some girls might be interested in him.

Irritated Goat
Mar 12, 2005

This post is pathetic.
Maybe it's because I'm short too but Rizu's my vote. Honestly though, if the manga ends with an actual choice, I'll be happy even if it isn't the one I prefer.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
hinomaru zumou is really good and its a shame its releases are so random

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
I read the newest chapter of We Never Learn and I would not be surprised if at some point all the girls wear maid uniforms.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Jose posted:

hinomaru zumou is really good and its a shame its releases are so random

yea it's a cool sports manga. never thought I'd care about anything related to sumo

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
Jump has a new series! It's very different. It kinda reminds me of Pop Team Epic

Allarion fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Oct 9, 2017

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Astara Lost in Space continues to be the best thing to come out of Jump.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I just like teach's eyes because it gives her this permanent dear caught in the headlights levels of surprise whenever she's reacting or in distress.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Magi ended! It was a cute ending, if only the final fight was kinda underwhelming.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Yeah it was kind of a mess but at least Alibaba finally scores.

I wish Arba got more resolution.

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

I told you that story so I could tell you this one...
I think it goes without saying that the ending of Magi was super abrupt, but on the other hand, all I really cared about was seeing Alibaba and Morgiana tie the knot, and it delivered on that front, at least. It's a bit of a shame, since the series is in a prime position to go back to light-hearted exploration+adventure shenanigans immediately following this ending, now that the cumbersome plot clutter is out of the way. I hope that someday, when Ohtaka isn't so burnt out, she'll go back and pick these characters up again.
Is it me, or does it feel like there were SEVERAL severe re-writes during this final sequence? I mean, we did everything to set up Sinbad as the final baddie and have the final confrontation being the main heroes debating with his different incarnations in seven dungeons. And then they started talking about warring with all sorts of higher deities and nested universes and hey, it's kinda hearkening back to it's Arabian Nights roots! But then they only got through four of them and David returned for no reason to be a boring, generic final boss and rush things to a conclusion. It really stinks, especially since I've always felt that the story was setting up Sinbad as an eventual villain, but maybe Ohtaka backed off on that because she was worried about how it would affect her other manga? I dunno.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Yeah, it was downright bizarre. I'd love to know what was going on behind the scenes.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Beefstew posted:

I think it goes without saying that the ending of Magi was super abrupt, but on the other hand, all I really cared about was seeing Alibaba and Morgiana tie the knot, and it delivered on that front, at least. It's a bit of a shame, since the series is in a prime position to go back to light-hearted exploration+adventure shenanigans immediately following this ending, now that the cumbersome plot clutter is out of the way. I hope that someday, when Ohtaka isn't so burnt out, she'll go back and pick these characters up again.
Is it me, or does it feel like there were SEVERAL severe re-writes during this final sequence? I mean, we did everything to set up Sinbad as the final baddie and have the final confrontation being the main heroes debating with his different incarnations in seven dungeons. And then they started talking about warring with all sorts of higher deities and nested universes and hey, it's kinda hearkening back to it's Arabian Nights roots! But then they only got through four of them and David returned for no reason to be a boring, generic final boss and rush things to a conclusion. It really stinks, especially since I've always felt that the story was setting up Sinbad as an eventual villain, but maybe Ohtaka backed off on that because she was worried about how it would affect her other manga? I dunno.

Yeah, Sinbad was a really great villain and it was a shame he was sorta replaced. I still really like Magi, though; it would be almost a perfect shounen-sorta thing if the ending was cleaned up and the fight scenes were better (there's so much potential for cool fight scenes that was never really realized).

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

I told you that story so I could tell you this one...

Ytlaya posted:

Yeah, Sinbad was a really great villain and it was a shame he was sorta replaced. I still really like Magi, though; it would be almost a perfect shounen-sorta thing if the ending was cleaned up and the fight scenes were better (there's so much potential for cool fight scenes that was never really realized).

I want a second draft of Magi that fixes all the aforementioned things, trims down a lot of the boring political/economic diatribes, focuses more on the adventurous side of things, and doesn't sideline Morg for the second half of the series. Then it would probably be one of my absolute favorites.
I hope someday an anime studio decides to give it the FMA treatment. The superior 2003 version :getin:

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Hate-Senpai posted:

I'm rooting for teach.

Even moreso after the newest chapter.

hmm bold choice, let's check her chances

not looking good buddy

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!

Manatee Cannon posted:

not looking good buddy

:perfect:

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

Manatee Cannon posted:

not looking good buddy

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Manatee Cannon posted:

not looking good buddy

:vince::vince::vince::vince::vince::vince::vince::vince::vince::vince::vince::vince::vince::vince::vince::vince::vince::vince::vince::vince::vince::vince::vince::vince::vince::vince::vince::vince::vince::vince::vince::vince::vince::vince::vince::vince::vince::vince::vince::vince::vince::vince::vince::vince::vince::vince::vince::vince::vince::vince::vince::vince::vince::vince::vince:

I know teach is never gonna win and shouldn't anyways, but I'm still rootin'!

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Also Hungry Marie ended.

:rip:

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib
Rizu is the best but I like all the girls well enough so I'll accept any ending that isn't indecisive horseshit

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
I just finished Inu Yashiki and man that was a wet fart of an ending. Between this and Gantz I think it's pretty clear Oku Hiroya is not a very good writer. He really needs a good editor to tell him when he's being loving stupid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Manatee Cannon posted:

not looking good buddy