Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?

Jordan7hm posted:

Don't think they're regulated by the CRTC, so no.

Whatever then, add a 20% entertainment tax or something then add GST

EvidenceBasedQuack posted:

The recent increases from the initial $7 monthly rate exceed the potential tax. Also I'm sure a lot of subscribers switched to the 4k super premium plan without having 4k tv sets or 5 devices streaming simultaneously. I like Netflix but I'm not fooled into thinking they're the good guys.

75 cents was based off the new 14.99 price for their top plan and who cares what increases Netflix puts out there anyways? This is about government revenue and the best places to get more of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

DariusLikewise posted:

Does Netflix have to follow CanCon rules?

No, they don't. Thankfully.

e: also seriously? Do you people remember this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vM-vz_CKZP8

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
http://www.cbc.ca/news/opinion/canada-out-of-reach-1.4348441

So is there ever a point where this proves unsustainable and Toronto and Vancouver collapse?

large hands
Jan 24, 2006

TheKingofSprings posted:

So is there ever a point where this proves unsustainable and Toronto and Vancouver collapse?

No, those are World Class Cities like London and New York. nobody expects to be able to live in those cities so why do entitled millennials think they have the right to afford rent in Vancouver and Toronto.

simply move to Ottawa and write opinion pieces to afford a home there.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

TheKingofSprings posted:

Nope, this is the new normal.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

TheKingofSprings posted:

Whinging about home prices? Let's hope not or the Canadian press will collapse.

Love that "common sense" hot take re: rent control, that's conveniently disproven by the complete lack of rental development when it didn't apply to post 1991 developments.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

infernal machines posted:

Whinging about home prices? Let's hope not or the Canadian press will collapse.

Love that "common sense" hot take re: rent control, that's conveniently disproven by the complete lack of rental development when it didn't apply to post 1991 developments.

Rentals being built is not simply a question of whether rent control exists or not but all else being equal if rent control is enacted it will definitely make rentals less likely to be built.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
Possibly, but that'd be difficult to prove given that they were already not being built. Besides which, the existence of rent control does nothing to prevent developers/landlords from setting the rent as they see fit, unless they already have a tenant. And as soon as the unit is unoccupied the rent can be set arbitrarily again.

The landlords' dilemma is "but what if I rent to someone, and they continue to pay me at the rate I set for them, with inflationary yearly increases?". This doesn't significantly alter the business case for renting or developing rental property.

e: Rent control also does not prevent one-off increases to cover major repairs, upgrades, etc. There is virtually no case where rent control will cause a landlord to lose money, if they were already breaking even or profitable.

infernal machines fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Oct 11, 2017

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

infernal machines posted:

Possibly, but that'd be difficult to prove given that they were already not being built. Besides which, the existence of rent control does nothing to prevent developers/landlords from setting the rent as they see fit, unless they already have a tenant. And as soon as the unit is unoccupied the rent can be set arbitrarily again.

The landlords' dilemma is "but what if I rent to someone, and they continue to pay me at the rate I set for them, with inflationary yearly increases?". This doesn't significantly alter the business case for renting or developing rental property.

e: Rent control also does not prevent one-off increases to cover major repairs, upgrades, etc. There is virtually no case where rent control will cause a landlord to lose money, if they were already breaking even or profitable.

Difficult to prove? If all else is equal and rent control is enacted, investors and landlords are going to see that as an improvement? An encouragement to rent out?

Anyway, I responded because you were talking about rental development, not rent price increases on existing units. You said there was a complete lack of rental development when the 1991 rules (here in Ontario) wouldn't have impeded that development but there are other factors at play in encouraging rental construction than just rent control, though it will place a downward pressure.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Lobok posted:

Difficult to prove? If all else is equal and rent control is enacted, investors and landlords are going to see that as an improvement? An encouragement to rent out?

Anyway, I responded because you were talking about rental development, not rent price increases on existing units. You said there was a complete lack of rental development when the 1991 rules (here in Ontario) wouldn't have impeded that development but there are other factors at play in encouraging rental construction than just rent control, though it will place a downward pressure.

I'm saying, as implemented, it has no effect on whether investors and landlords have a business case for renting/development of rental properties. Being able to arbitrarily increase rents at any point could make it more profitable, but Ontario rent control legislation, as-is, will never make it unprofitable.

The complete lack of rental development despite the previous lack of rent control was largely attributable to the fact that condo development was more immediately profitable, with constantly rising prices in markets like Toronto. Rent control (or lack of) doesn't factor into that, it's true.

My original point was about this gem:

quote:

Rent control, recently imposed province-wide by Ontario, instantly creates two classes of renters, the lucky and unlucky, and instantly discourages potential new landlords, capping their income but not their expenses. What small investor would now buy a rental property in Ontario?

Which makes perfect sense if you're an idiot*, but does not accurately reflect the business case/risks for investing in rental properties.

*Many small scale landlords are in fact idiots.

infernal machines fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Oct 11, 2017

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

But rental income is supposed to completely pay the mortgage on the rental property, and i am to be provided passive income for taking the risk of borrowing as much money as banks will give me to buy rental properties.

Maybe you idiots just don't understand business :smug:

EvidenceBasedQuack
Aug 15, 2015

A rock has no detectable opinion about gravity

DariusLikewise posted:

This is about government revenue and the best places to get more of it.

We're in agreement. GST/HST on Netflix is negligible to subscribers, but the government could draw additional revenue and make it fairer to digital content providers based in Canada.

CanCon: can we have a reboot of the Littlest Hobo? Thanks

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Of course the main point of "Shut up about social justice and move to Timmins if you can't hack it in Toronto, free market bitches!" was also wonderful.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

EvidenceBasedQuack posted:

We're in agreement. GST/HST on Netflix is negligible to subscribers, but the government could draw additional revenue and make it fairer to digital content providers based in Canada.

CanCon: can we have a reboot of the Littlest Hobo? Thanks

pff ain't no real Canadian show, they's usin one of them German dogs

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Maybe the government should tax staff discounts to really stick it to those sears CEOs buying $10m worth of discount lawnmowers with their bonuses.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

CLAM DOWN posted:

No, they don't. Thankfully.

e: also seriously? Do you people remember this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vM-vz_CKZP8

Look how relatable and dreamy Stephen is in that video, such an old stock Canadian.

TheKingofSprings posted:

This opinion piece is a loving joke

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

Separate postin': Liberals are telling the CRA not to tax employee discounts

http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/liberal-government-cra-employee-discount-1.4349651

quote:

The national revenue minister is blaming bureaucrats at the Canada Revenue Agency for hatching a plan to tax employee discounts, backpedalling on a new interpretation of the tax code she says she never approved in the first place while instructing the agency to pull the plans from its website.

In a statement sent to CBC News, Diane Lebouthillier's press secretary said she is "deeply disappointed" employees at the tax collector issued a directive — or a "folio" — with new rules around how employee discounts on merchandise would be treated for tax purposes. The CRA had said on its website when an employee receives a discount on merchandise the value of the discount should be included in the employee's income at tax time.

"This document was not approved by the minister and we are deeply disappointed that the agency posted something that has been misinterpreted like this," John Power, a spokesperson for Lebouthillier, said in an emailed statement. "The agency issued a guidance document that does not reflect our government's intentions and the minister of national revenue has instructed officials to clarify the wording."

Shortly after the statement was sent out, the folio was pulled from the CRA's website. Power said the minister has instructed the agency to now review its interpretation of the tax code, and consult with stakeholders in the industry.

The government's backtrack comes amid a stunning backlash to the change from the Retail Council of Canada and thousands of the country's two million retail workers.

While the minister has called for a review, the tax collector is still expected to address taxation on employee discounts at a later date.

A 2011 tax court ruling found the CRA's guidance to employers on this matter was out of date and did not adequately conform to the Income Tax Act, which stipulates most employee benefits should be deemed taxable income.

In response, in its 2016 folio — a document written in plain language and disseminated to employers to help them interpret the tax code — the CRA said employers should start tracking employee discounts and report that as income on an employee's T4 (statement of remuneration paid) at tax time.

Under the guidelines presented, which have since been stripped from the CRA website, the difference between the "fair market value" of the merchandise purchased and what the employee paid is what would have to be claimed on a tax return. For example, if an employee buys an $80 sweater for $40, then the employee would have to claim the $40 difference as income.

The Retail Council of Canada first raised the issue with MPs at a House of Commons committee meeting at the end of September, putting the tax change on the public radar for the first time.

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

DariusLikewise posted:

This opinion piece is a loving joke

Maybe he farmed this one out to his brother

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
Can't wait for some company to start paying its workers below minimum wage by claiming their employee discounts mean the worker is still getting compensated at the minimum rate.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

Is this how policies are test flown now?

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Postess with the Mostest posted:

Yeah, I could see him deadpan reading that on Weekend Update.

James Baud
May 24, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

James Baud fucked around with this message at 12:15 on Aug 26, 2018

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

DariusLikewise posted:

Does Netflix have to follow CanCon rules?

No but they have to secure Canadian licensing for content.

The problem is that securing the licenses is so complicated and therefore involves so much work that it doesn't justify the return for Netflix so they basically just say "gently caress it" to a huge amount of material and that's why the Canadian library is so inferior to the American one.

Falstaff
Apr 27, 2008

I have a kind of alacrity in sinking.

flakeloaf posted:

pff ain't no real Canadian show, they's usin one of them German dogs

The original Littlest Hobo, aired in the 50's, was actually American.

:goonsay:

I actually think CanCon is important as a cultural issue, and if the future of media is streaming services, that's a bridge we're going to have to cross sooner or later.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

Postess with the Mostest posted:

Colour me surprised that I didn't make that connection

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Bring back Ray Bradbury Theatre while you're at it. The world needs more young Jeff Goldblum in a sleepy Albertan town threatening to murder a drunk.

Reince Penis
Nov 15, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Interesting editorial choices over at the NP today.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Poor PC party. They never had a chance. There was no one in the leadership race that didn't look like a ventriloquist dummy animated by pure spite.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
What is WITH the PC party and electing haunted house mannequin leaders? Like who were the last PC leaders that actually looked like people? Joe Clark, Mike Harris, and Ralph Klein?

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
https://twitter.com/ddale8/status/918214026894757888

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

InfiniteZero posted:

The problem is that securing the licenses is so complicated and therefore involves so much work that it doesn't justify the return for Netflix so they basically just say "gently caress it" to a huge amount of material and that's why the Canadian library is so inferior to the American one.

This seems to be the reason why the BBC doesn't bother to make much of it's TV available overseas either. PBS picks up a few of course, but if you want to watch some even the bigger comedy series it's pretty much :filez: all the way down.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

Apparently there was a conference call with Bill Morneau today and he hinted that the Liberals are now going to lower the small business tax rate in addition to eliminating dividend sprinkling

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Have we not considered simply eliminating the Small Business tax rate and calling it a day?

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene
Just voted in Calgary.

Man reading over the profiles for trustees and councilors is.... sad. Everyone running is either a 25 year old idealist or 65 year old retired person who is very concerned about the trees in their neighborhood.

Falstaff
Apr 27, 2008

Even if that were the case (it isn't), the middle class that Trump is supposedly interested in improving is a completely different middle class than the one found in Canada, and any additional benefits Trump secures for the former will necessarily come at the expense of the latter. This seems trivially obvious.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Trees are something to be very concerned about though? Used properly they're a huge component to perceived pedestrian safety, they're just generally desirable, and they didn't get there by accident.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Falstaff posted:

Even if that were the case (it isn't), the middle class that Trump is supposedly interested in improving is a completely different middle class than the one found in Canada, and any additional benefits Trump secures for the former will necessarily come at the expense of the latter. This seems trivially obvious.

Trade doesn't have to be zero-sum though?

Theoretically the American middle class could be producing green widgets and the Canadian middle class could be producing blue widgets and we could trade them and everyone could have more widgets than if we each tried to produce both green and blue widgets.

In practice, lol Trudeau bad

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene

PittTheElder posted:

Trees are something to be very concerned about though? Used properly they're a huge component to perceived pedestrian safety, they're just generally desirable, and they didn't get there by accident.

I'm just being a jackass making fun of old people who use city council as a city level home owners association.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

PittTheElder posted:

They probably meant that one tree a little too close to aforementioned senior's lawn that drops horse chestnuts on the grass and all the little rascal get on the lawn to grab them for Chestnut fights and let me tell you we didn't have this kind of rough housing back in my day we worked in the helium mine and we liked goldang you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Falstaff
Apr 27, 2008

vyelkin posted:

Trade doesn't have to be zero-sum though?

In theory, yes. In practice, I'd suggest that NAFTA, as implemented, has been solidly on the lovely side for Canada overall.

More importantly, in the present reality we're talking about, we have one party opening up a trade agreement to make amendments from a position of strength. There's no scenario outside of the completely absurd where this turns out to be a boon for the weaker party.