Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

jivjov posted:

Vast amounts of all three PT films take place on Coruscant.

Oh I know it's supposed to be Coruscant but I couldn't remember if it was just "capital city that is assumed to be Coruscant" or if the actual name was established.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

thrawn527 posted:

SMG has made this argument before, that it doesn't matter if it's technically not called Coruscant, it looks and acts AS Coruscant for the purposes of the movie, so for the audience, it being a city planet is a call back to the prequels. It is meant to evoke Coruscant, in appearance and in function, and this only works because we see Coruscant in the prequels.

Whether you agree or not, that's where he's coming from, and arguing technicalities won't get you anywhere.

But you're you, so you will. (You know I love you, jivjov.)

Why don't people just say this, then? Why blatantly lie and call it Coruscant, when the actual meaning meant to be conveyed is "a planet/system like Coruscant"?

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Hosnian is the capital of the Republic but it isn't the home of the defunct Jedi Order. It's only half of Coruscant, but the other half isn't relevant to that particular film.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

jivjov posted:

Why don't people just say this, then? Why blatantly lie and call it Coruscant, when the actual meaning meant to be conveyed is "a planet/system like Coruscant"?

Because in that movie it is coruscant .

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

euphronius posted:

Because in that movie it is coruscant .

It's not though. At no time is it ever called Coruscant. And it's explicitly called "the Hosnian system".

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

jivjov posted:

It's not though. At no time is it ever called Coruscant. And it's explicitly called "the Hosnian system".

Sure but it's also Corsicany as has been explained above .

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
I'm pretty sure star wars is fake, actually

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

euphronius posted:

Sure but it's also Corsicany as has been explained above .

No, it's really not. One thing being similar to another thing doesn't make those two things the same.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

jivjov posted:

The planet is Coruscant in the film. The EU then retconned the film.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

jivjov posted:

No, it's really not. One thing being similar to another thing doesn't make those two things the same.

jivjov posted:

What is coruscant?

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

The planet is Coruscant in the film. The EU then retconned the film.

At no point is the Hosnian system or Hosnian Prime ever called Coruscant in any film or novel or comic.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

euphronius posted:

What is coruscant?

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Coruscant

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Hahahah the most perfect answer

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

jivjov posted:

because theyre trying to distance themselves from the prequels :evilbuddy:

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

euphronius posted:

What is coruscant?

It's the bright center of the universe. It's the seat of government and the headquarters of the Jedi, an enormous city covering an entire planet.

I'm with jivjov on this one, incidentally. The presence of the Jedi Temple on one of the two capital city planets and not the other is an important distinction. They invented a new Coruscant in order to destroy some of the things Coruscant is without destroying others.

Hosnian is to Coruscant what Jakku is to Tatooine: mostly alike, but different enough to have a reason not to be the same.

viral spiral
Sep 19, 2017

by R. Guyovich

Bongo Bill posted:

The prequels aren't EU, my friend. They're as canon as canon gets.

I hope Disney does a remake of the prequels. Vader's descent into madness deserves a better dramatic cinema experience.

Like, have the same actor for Anakin in all three films, and don't make him an awkward weirdo who gets nervous around hot girls this time, either.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

It's not a mistake that Darth Vader is uncool underneath the mask.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Bongo Bill posted:

It's not a mistake that Darth Vader is uncool underneath the mask.

Did not match expectations = mistake

dublish
Oct 31, 2011

viral spiral posted:

descent into madness

viral spiral posted:

dramatic cinema experience.

One of these things is not like the others.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
[quote="“jivjov”" post="“477282623”"]
At no point is the Hosnian system or Hosnian Prime ever called Coruscant in any film or novel or comic.
[/quote]

TFA says that the capital of the Republic, previously established as Coruscant, is located in 'The Hosnian System'.

Hosnia is therefore implicitly the name of the star that Coruscant orbits. (In real life, Earth is located in The Solar System. Because it orbits Sol).

The EU retcons the film with a convoluted story. It claims that there are multiple Republic capitals that all look the same, so what we saw was actually a clone of Coruscant and the real Coruscant survived. The EU also claims that Hosnia is not a star at all, but actually multiple planets that are called Hosnia. (Hosnia 1, Hosnia 2, etc.) This EU stuff sounds suspiciously like a 9/11 conspiracy theory.

SuperMechagodzilla fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Oct 11, 2017

Mortanis
Dec 28, 2005

It's your father's lightsaber. This is the weapon of a Jedi Knight.
College Slice
There is no EU any more. HTH.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Mortanis posted:

There's a new EU.

Mortanis
Dec 28, 2005

It's your father's lightsaber. This is the weapon of a Jedi Knight.
College Slice
Unless something changed, Disney was explicit that there is Canon and there is Legends; everything Disney publishes, whether film or jointly through the Marvel comics, is Canon. If it's in distribution in one fashion or another since the Disney acquisition, it is Canon.

I don't see anything that changed that and the Star Wars Canon list currently includes novels and comics. The only retroactive Canon are the movies and, supposedly, the Clone Wars series.

Edit: I guess it's more apt to say that Disney doesn't give a poo poo about Canonicity and that all its stuff is as legit as anything else until it's not. If it's published since the acquisition, it's Canon, right up until something contradicts it. But there is no "EU" or Lesser Canon any more.

Mortanis fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Oct 11, 2017

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Bongo Bill posted:

There's a new EU.

A neoeu. Or maybe an eunouveau.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Mortanis posted:

Yeah, at this point everything released counts as canon. The old EU stuff is "Legends," but everything else is approved.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

TFA says that the capital of the Republic, previously established as Coruscant, is located in 'The Hosnian System'.

Hosnia is therefore implicitly the name of the star that Coruscant orbits. (In real life, Earth is located in The Solar System. Because it orbits Sol).

The EU retcons the film with a convoluted story. It claims that there are multiple Republic capitals that all look the same, so what we saw was actually a clone of Coruscant and the real Coruscant survived. The EU also claims that Hosnia is not a star at all, but actually multiple planets that are called Hosnia. (Hosnia 1, Hosnia 2, etc.) This EU stuff sounds suspiciously like a 9/11 conspiracy theory.

Uh....no. That's not how it works at all.

Filthy Casual
Aug 13, 2014

I'm just asking questions. Jet fEUl can't melt steel beams.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
[quote="“Mortanis”" post="“477283855”"]
Unless something changed, Disney was explicit that there is Canon and there is Legends; everything Disney publishes, whether film or jointly through the Marvel comics, is Canon. If it’s in distribution in one fashion or another since the Disney acquisition, it is Canon.

I don’t see anything that changed that and the Star Wars Canon list currently includes novels and comics. The only retroactive Canon are the movies and, supposedly, the Clone Wars series.

Edit: I guess it’s more apt to say that Disney doesn’t give a poo poo about Canonicity and that all its stuff is as legit as anything else until it’s not. If it’s published since the acquisition, it’s Canon, right up until something contradicts it. But there is no “EU” or Lesser Canon any more.
[/quote]

Disney lied to you.

In Star Wars, Han lies about the Kessel run. It's pure bullshit. But in TFA and (apparently) the upcoming Ron Howard film, the Kessel run is suddenly a real event. Disney has made Star Wars: Episode 4: A New Hope NON-CANON.

[quote="“jivjov”" post="“477284046”"]
Uh....no. That’s not how it works at all.
[/quote]

That's actually the definition of retconning. If it's eventually 'revealed' that the Luke from the end of TFA is actually an advanced robot duplicate of Luke, and that the guy who trained Kyle died in the fire offscreen, that will be a retcon.

You've seriously been tricked into believing a weirdo Bigger Luke / Berenstein Bear conspiracy theory.

SuperMechagodzilla fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Oct 11, 2017

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

thrawn527 posted:

SMG has made this argument before, that it doesn't matter if it's technically not called Coruscant, it looks and acts AS Coruscant for the purposes of the movie, so for the audience, it being a city planet is a call back to the prequels. It is meant to evoke Coruscant, in appearance and in function, and this only works because we see Coruscant in the prequels.

Whether you agree or not, that's where he's coming from, and arguing technicalities won't get you anywhere.

But you're you, so you will. (You know I love you, jivjov.)

It's weird that they don't just blow up Coruscant. What's the point of blowing up a planet that looks like Coruscant, serves the same function as Coruscant, and that 95% of the audience is going to assume is Coruscant, but then establishing somewhere in the fine print of the new EU that actually no, it's not Coruscant? (If the planet that's destroyed is ever identified in the movie as Hosnian Prime, it's extremely fleeting). I guarantee when and if Coruscant comes back into play a vast majority of the audience is going to say "wait, wasn't that blown up?"

What are they keeping Coruscant on the map for? I guess the story group came to them late in post production and said "actually guys, we still need Coruscant not blown up so the Resistance can search the old Senate building for Palpatine's gold in Episode XV."

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003
Guys, was Tatooine ever actually mentioned in the movies or is it just old EU now?

Signed: A Concerned Start Wars Fan.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

UmOk posted:

Guys, was Tatooine ever actually mentioned in the movies or is it just old EU now?

Signed: A Concerned Start Wars Fan.

Episode I, at the very least, used the name.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
I feel pretty confident that every planet, species, and background character that appeared onscreen and had a name under the old continuity still has the same name under the new continuity.

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

Luke says it (weirdly) at the end of Empire, the movie that doesn't show it.

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003

thrawn527 posted:

Episode I, at the very least, used the name.

Yeah but come on. How do we know it's really Tatooine?

Think I will file this as another unsolved mystery. Like whether Coruscant is in the movies or not.

Seaniqua
Mar 12, 2004

"We'll see how the first year goes. But people better get us now, because we're going to keep getting better and better."
Isn't that the planet they blew up in TFA?

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Yea I was really losing sleep over the Coruscant thing, definitely wasn't just bored at work with 15 minutes to kill before quitting time.

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003

Seaniqua posted:

Isn't that the planet they blew up in TFA?

No. That was DANtooine. You idiot, you loving moron.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
I don't like sand

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
Holy poo poo I forgot how weird that was

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ICSNhMSaVgk

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003

moist turtleneck posted:

I don't like sand

Me neither. Everything Antikin says about it is 100% true.