Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene
TBH there's a few too many Bill Smith signs in my neighbourhood for comfort. My family's all voting Nenshi I think, but my dad works in an industry that requires for him to ask for money from the civic government on a regular basis so we're kinda biased.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
I'm flying the day after election day so I oughtn't drink while watching the results roll in, but gently caress knows I'll want to...

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Legit Businessman fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Sep 9, 2022

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
There was a Slovenian pilot who showed up pisstanked to operate a Sunwing flight last winter. He passed out in the cockpit and it was later found that he'd had a fifth of vodka between showing up at his hotel at 1AM and reporting for duty at 6AM. That'd be a real challenge!

I technically could drink since you only need to be sober and not have had anything to drink for 8 hours legally speaking, but it's recommended that you don't drink for 24 hours before acting as flight crew, and I see no particular reason to break with that recommendation. Err on the side of caution and all that.

Somebody fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Sep 9, 2022

Kly
Aug 8, 2003

being a plane guy is like the male version of a horse girl right

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord
It’s about the same level of bad with money so yes

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe

Kly posted:

being a plane guy is like the male version of a horse girl right

Pretty much. They're either super old, super rich or super broke. It's also a massive sausage fest. When I switched to racing bikes I was amazed just how many women were around and cycling is known as a male dominated sport.

Unfortunately bikes aren't that much behind horses planes and boats when it comes to being a huge money sink.

But you do get to drink while racing if you race cross.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

EvilJoven posted:

Pretty much. They're either super old, super rich or super broke. It's also a massive sausage fest. When I switched to racing bikes I was amazed just how many women were around and cycling is known as a male dominated sport.

As a hobby, yes it's a sausage fest, but in terms of commercial pilots it's getting closer and closer to parity, from what I've seen. Way better than the tech industry or the oil industry, by a long shot!

The Butcher
Apr 20, 2005

Well, at least we tried.
Nap Ghost
Flocking, just flocking I tell you!

The Butcher
Apr 20, 2005

Well, at least we tried.
Nap Ghost

EvilJoven posted:

Unfortunately bikes aren't that much behind horses planes and boats when it comes to being a huge money sink.

Pshawww... You can spend endless money on gear and parts if you want but the actual necessary upkeep racing bikes need doesn't even hold a candle to that poo poo.

I got a great new bike for about $1500 3 years ago and I spend about $150 a year maintaining it perfectly. Wrenching myself ofc.

That's like one tank of marine fuel or a single horse psychotherapy session.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
Ya I think I've just spent a stupid amount because I'm just starting to get in to the bike thing and I have 4 different bikes for different conditions, two of which were pretty spendy and the other two cheap but both needed quite a few parts to make not terrible.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Legit Businessman fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Sep 9, 2022

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Democracy is the system of government where the people are punished with the government they deserve.

How this shithead got so far ahead of Chabot who, for his failings, has been a reasonably competent councillor, is completely beyond me. And of loving course he's favoured by everyone's favourite fuckfaces, Misters Kenney and Levant.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

I mean, to think of a world where "this candidate is supported by Ezra loving Levant" is not an automatic dealkiller with an outright majority of the population. smdh

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

PT6A posted:

I mean, to think of a world where "this candidate is supported by Glenn loving Beck" is not an automatic dealkiller with an outright majority of the population. smdh

Hmm interesting

EvidenceBasedQuack
Aug 15, 2015

A rock has no detectable opinion about gravity
Not CanPol but relevant to old white men and politics:

US Congress resident pharmacist let slip that he's filling prescriptions for Alzheimer's, among things.

https://arstechnica.com/science/2017/10/so-do-some-congress-members-have-alzheimers-pharmacist-lands-in-hot-seat/

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord
When your country is run by 70 year olds it should surprise no one you are writing scripts for that poo poo

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

loving lol we're living in idiocracy. I hate the people living in this loving city.

Somebody fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Sep 9, 2022

T.C.
Feb 10, 2004

Believe.

Falstaff posted:

There's no scenario outside of the completely absurd where this turns out to be a boon for the weaker party.

I mean... Donald Trump.

All possible scenarios are completely absurd.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
https://twitter.com/RolfDinsdale/status/918464905447079936

(For context the schools replace the word chief with manager out of respect for indigenous people)

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

bunnyofdoom posted:

(For context the schools replace the word chief with manager out of respect for indigenous people)

Next step, TDSB symbolically switches all web serving from apache to IIS in solidarity with #IdleNoMore.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Gotta get rid of all the TP in the bathrooms, too.

Stickarts
Dec 21, 2003

literally

The Saskatchewan Party continues to unravel. This time, a government official has come forward alleging that he had been told to use his private email address when discussing sensitive information to foil FOI requests. Pretty bold undermining of democratic rights. This after Brad Wall has been criticized multiple times already for use of private servers. And he's still polling 40%.

http://www.cbc.ca/beta/news/canada/...opics-1.4348314

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

All latches will be removed from lunch room kitchen pots.

just another
Oct 16, 2009

these dead towns that make the maps wrong now
"hide and go seek" will now be called "look and find"

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes
Bombardier stock didn't even blip.

quote:

Justin Trudeau, the Canadian Prime Minister, told President Donald Trump on Wednesday he would block his country’s armed forces from buying Boeing aircraft if the US presses ahead with plans to slap import tariffs of 300 percent on Bombardier aeroplanes.

quote:

"We got a great price," Delta CEO Ed Bastian told CNBC on Wednesday. He declined to disclose how much the airline paid.

Bastian called the recommended tariff "absurd" last month and said it would make the planes unaffordable. Delta argued that Boeing no longer makes a comparable product to the Bombardier C-Series.

On an earnings call on Wednesday, Bastian said, "We will not pay those tariffs and that is very clear."

The airline plans to take delivery of the jets, he said, adding that the Commerce Department's ruling is preliminary. The final ruling on the duties is expected in February.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

Buglord
I wouldn’t bet on bombardier ikantski, stick to WEED.TO

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Speaking of rental housing in Toronto, here's an article about a Ryerson study on that very topic:

Toronto Star posted:

The Toronto area needs 8,000 new rental units a year — more than four times the number it built last year — to restore the region to a healthy vacancy rate.

It also needs to wean itself from a growing reliance on the private condos that represent about a third of rentals in the city, says a report published Thursday by the Ryerson City Building Institute and Evergreen, an urban sustainability charity.

“Unless we’re going to make (home) ownership a lot more attainable, 8,000 is where we need to be at now and in the future,” said Graham Haines, research manager of the Ryerson institute.

At that rate it would take five to 10 years to restore the region to a vacancy rate of at least 3 per cent, says the report called, “Getting to 8,000: Building a healthier rental market for the Toronto Area.”

That level would permit tenants to find suitable, affordable housing. But the Toronto region’s vacancy rate has been below that for years. The most recent Canada Mortgage and Housing Corporation figure is 1.4 per cent.

Rents for available one-bedroom apartments increased 6.3 per cent between 2015 and 2016 and 8.8 per cent in the last year, says the report.

“One of the things that would be positive would be if we can get back towards rental buildings and rental supply versus condo supply because we can get back to the place where condos are an affordable entry way into home ownership,” said Haines.

“Right now we see condos are still going up by 20 per cent because they offer this investment opportunity for people who have spare real estate money sitting around,” he said.

While 76,000 condos have been built in the last decade, only 2,400 new purpose-built rental units have hit the market, according to the report.

Investors get a decent rate of return on rent and that puts the purchase price of condos further out of reach for home buyers, said Haines.

“You’re looking at something like $600,000 for a two-bedroom condo. That’s unaffordable for a young family that’s trying to get into the market,” he said.

The report recommends governments incentivize rental development by:

- Expanding the development charge rebate in the Ontario government’s fair housing policy that, in April, prescribed $125 million over five years.

- Providing municipal incentives to rental development.

- Developing a one-stop shop for federal and provincial development incentives.

- Changing HST rules so that rental developers can claim credits to offset the tax they pay on construction materials in the same way condo developers recoup their HST expense when they sell the units.

Haines downplayed a report last month by the Federation of Rental Housing Providers of Ontario that showed developers, who had been planning to create rentals, had switched 1,000 of those units to condos in light of the province’s decision to extend rent controls to newer buildings.

The odds are stacked against rentals and those buildings were probably on the edge, he said.

“The numbers are just there for condos. The finances make more sense and that’s ultimately the challenge with or without rent control,” said Haines.

The city is already looking at other policies recommended in the report, including a vacancy tax and restrictions on short-term rentals.

Haines says the city also needs to open up areas of the city to multi-residential homes where currently zoning makes it difficult to build anything other than single-family houses.

It wouldn’t make a huge difference in the number of rentals short-term but, he said, “With the vacancy rate as low as it is, providing any amount of rental supply will help improve the situation.”

Four recommendations and everyone single one is to give developers more tax breaks and incentives. :rolleyes:

At least I learned something new - why the gently caress are developers getting tax breaks on construction materials when they sell units? Sorry, that was a rhetorical question, we all know why.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

eXXon posted:

Four recommendations and everyone single one is to give developers more tax breaks and incentives.

We have an ideological commitment to market based solutions, it doesn't give us a lot of tools to work with.

As long as condos are more profitable, or profitable more immediately than rental construction, the market is going to continue to favour condo development. Who knew?

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

infernal machines posted:

As long as condos are more profitable, or profitable more immediately than rental construction, the market is going to continue to favour condo development. Who knew?

Yeah. Rental development in this country dwindled to nothing when the Federal Liberal government of the day ended some favourable tax incentives, but at the same time, condos were becoming more popular and they're inherently a more attractive product for developers.

This is the most relevant section from the posted article:

quote:

The odds are stacked against rentals and those buildings were probably on the edge, he said.

“The numbers are just there for condos. The finances make more sense and that’s ultimately the challenge with or without rent control,” said Haines.

Developers are always going to build condos unless measures are made to make rental development more attractive. Alternatively the government could decide to resolve the issue by getting much more involved in rental development like Vienna is, where something like a third of the population of the city lives in residences owned by the city government.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Femtosecond posted:

Alternatively the government could decide to resolve the issue by getting much more involved in rental development like Vienna is, where something like a third of the population of the city lives in residences owned by the city government.

Counterpoint: TCHC is the largest landlord in the country and they are an absolute goddamned trash fire. Not to say that it can't be done, but it sure as hell can't be done the way we're doing it.

Over $1 billion in capital repairs backlog, with thousands of unit becoming literally unfit for habitation in the next few years. The city is on the hook for social housing and it is both perennially underfunded and grossly mismanaged.

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

Risky Bisquick posted:

I wouldn’t bet on bombardier ikantski, stick to WEED.TO

Old news though, I need the industry that Libs are going to signal with next election.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Measures don't have to mean more tax breaks, they can be disincentives for condo development, like saying not giving either of them a pointless tax break on construction materials. Or how about regulating condo fees better so that developers don't just advertise super cheep $100/month fees so their buddies can buy up units to resell at a profit within a year, when fees inevitably double or triple? Or I suppose sometimes they don't and the capital fund remains eternally underfunded until the building crumbles.

infernal machines posted:

Counterpoint: TCHC is the largest landlord in the country and they are an absolute goddamned trash fire. Not to say that it can't be done, but it sure as hell can't be done the way we're doing it.

Over $1 billion in capital repairs backlog, with thousands of unit becoming literally unfit for habitation in the next few years. The city is on the hook for social housing and it is both perennially underfunded and grossly mismanaged.

Ha ha, speaking of which:

quote:

Peter Milczyn, a former Toronto councillor who was appointed Ontario housing minister on Monday, pulled no punches in his assessment of the lousy state of repair of Toronto Community Housing Corp. (TCHC).

Milczyn said the province is committed to helping but much of the problem was created by Toronto council’s refusal to properly provide funding for its massive stock of social housing buildings.

“I’m very honoured that the premier has selected me for this role,” he said Monday. “I understand it well. I also understand from my time on city council how the city for many years deliberately underfunded housing and how the city allowed Toronto Community Housing to lose its focus.”

Milczyn said the province has already provided land to the city to build more affordable housing and funded a homelessness prevention strategy to help Toronto. There will be more investments to come but he was non-committal about funding it’s $864-million share of TCHC’s repair backlog.

“Simply writing a blank cheque to the City of Toronto is not going to improve the quality of housing for the tenants in Toronto Community Housing,” he said. “We need to see that the City of Toronto has a concrete plan on how they’re going to move forward to reform TCHC.”

In 2013, when Milczyn was a member of Toronto council, he voted in favour of a resolution calling on the province to “continue to fund the City of Toronto for social housing at current levels and to provide additional funding in the amount of $864 million.”

Precambrian Video Games fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Oct 12, 2017

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

eXXon posted:

Measures don't have to mean more tax breaks, they can be disincentives for condo development, like saying not giving either of them a pointless tax break on construction materials. Or how about regulating condo fees better so that developers don't just advertise super cheep $100/month fees so their buddies can buy up units to resell at a profit within a year, when fees inevitably double or triple? Or I suppose sometimes they don't and the capital fund remains eternally underfunded until the building crumbles.

Because those would be needless regulations stifling development, duh.

Government intervention in the market is only acceptable in the form of incentives for business.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
So, college teachers are on strike in Ontario now.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?
I wonder how long before a Conservative candidate runs on the platform of completely busting public unions.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

bunnyofdoom posted:

So, college teachers are on strike in Ontario now.

But midterms! And grad! ITS SO INCONVENIENT

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

DariusLikewise posted:

I wonder how long before a Conservative candidate runs on the platform of completely busting public unions.

Negative several years? Depending on how you define "completely"

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?

PT6A posted:

Negative several years? Depending on how you define "completely"

Like elimination, not just giving unions a hard time, but like actually eliminating them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
It's not a vote winner, so probably decades or never.

If you're the most extreme option on one side of the political spectrum every move you make towards that extreme is just going to bleed votes away.