Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

I work a government job...weeeee!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
The courts are gonna have a field day with this.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.
Hopefully some more federal circuit courts get on board with the 7th before something gets to the Supremes, and the states that can, legislate their own protections.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
Trump Administration just pulled support for Stonewall National Monument, in commemoration of the Stonewall Riots

http://www.thenewcivilrightsmovemen...cation+Ceremony

Dwanyelle
Jan 13, 2008

ISRAEL DOESN'T HAVE CIVILIANS THEY'RE ALL VALID TARGETS
I'm a huge dickbag ignore me
Bu- bu- bu- but he held a pride flag!

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

CommieGIR posted:

Trump Administration just pulled support for Stonewall National Monument, in commemoration of the Stonewall Riots

http://www.thenewcivilrightsmovemen...cation+Ceremony

So does this mean it's no longer a monument?

Also, question. WHat happened to the Trans thread in The Great Race Space? THe last few forum posts were people talking about underwear?

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan
As a troon, I have learned to avoid any Trans thread due to the trolling, doxxing, and some honest questions that get treated like trolls.
The final straw was the child rape apologia.

Senju Kannon
Apr 9, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Aleph Null posted:

As a troon, I have learned to avoid any Trans thread due to the trolling, doxxing, and some honest questions that get treated like trolls.
The final straw was the child rape apologia.

wait what

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

Someone started taking about a prisoner who was being mistreated because she was transgender.
It was eventually revealed that she was in prison for dressing small boys is girls clothes and molesting them and taking video.
Devolved pretty quickly after that because there were people on both sides.
On both sides. Of that.
I never looked back.

Prester Jane
Nov 4, 2008

by Hand Knit

Aleph Null posted:

Someone started taking about a prisoner who was being mistreated because she was transgender.
It was eventually revealed that she was in prison for dressing small boys is girls clothes and molesting them and taking video.
On both sides. Of that.
I never looked back.

To clarify a bit here: A troon poster came in to the thread and tried to whip up some good old fashioned white-knighting of a transwoman who had committed suicide in prison. This particular transwoman had been denied the ability to transition by a blatantly bigoted prison system and this very likely played a role in her taking her life. It then came out that said transwoman had done some exceptionally hosed up sexual things to children and taped them, her own son being among her victims.

That there were actually people on both sides of that debate fueled a flurry of organized doxxing/harassing of troons by offsite trolls. I've never gone near the troon thread since then myself.

Senju Kannon
Apr 9, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Aleph Null posted:

On both sides. Of that.
I never looked back.

i actually think prisoners shouldn't be mistreated regardless of what their crime was but i will admit when i think of "transgender prisoners rights" that's not gonna be my first thought and definitely not a case study i would make.

people like that should be given life imho. there's not a lot of provable evidence they can ever be reformed and the sex offender registry is counterproductive at best. but that's a subject for a different thread

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy
Without going into too much drama, the person running the trans thread got discouraged from participating and deleted it.

Dwanyelle
Jan 13, 2008

Yeah, that person doesn't hang out in any of the Troon threads or what have you.

Come hang out with us!

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

OHhhhhhhhh....I missed all of that bullshit.

God dammit, why is it so hard to find trans spaces online that don’t fall apart because of bullshit like this or get flooded by anti trans trolls. :(

Stroop There It Is
Mar 11, 2012

:gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar:
:stroop: :gaysper: :stroop:

come one, come all, to my good blue domain

Dwanyelle
Jan 13, 2008

BigRed0427 posted:

OHhhhhhhhh....I missed all of that bullshit.

God dammit, why is it so hard to find trans spaces online that don’t fall apart because of bullshit like this or get flooded by anti trans trolls. :(

Because we can't have nice things?

On a somewhat serious note, hormones causing emotional upsets/gender dysphoria stress can lead to comorbidity with other mental conditions which often leads to ineffective interpersonal communications skills, for the first thing, and people are assholes for the second

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Thalantos posted:

Yeah, that person doesn't hang out in any of the Troon threads or what have you.

Come hang out with us!

I don't feel safe in the cccc thread because a certain people involved in doxxing still post there and for obvious reasons I'm in a total social media lockdown these days.

You can pm me if you want the drama about the tgrs thread but I got some threats so I'm not gonna talk about it here.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Thalantos posted:

Come hang out with us!

But it hurts my eyes!

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Thalantos posted:

Come hang out with us!

But it hurts my eyes!

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

Thalantos posted:

Come hang out with us!

Where doy ou guys hang out?

Dwanyelle
Jan 13, 2008

BigRed0427 posted:

Where doy ou guys hang out?

Ugh, I'm stuck posting from my phone and only use bookmarks, im.not sure what forum it's in. :(

FantasticExtrusion
Sep 3, 2017

Too much signal to noise.

1.) Virtue signaling crowd.

2.) Classic no homo bigotry crowd.

3.) Neo-reactionary bigotry crowd. ("Nuance? Hitler!" - no further civility)

4.) Actual transgendered people who "tow the line" of the current sort of... zeitgeist theory about being trans. Resonates / overlaps with 1 & 3. Approved opinions.

5.) Actual transgendered people who have alternative, or otherwise more nuanced ideas about how we should treat transgendered people; or their nature or origin.

It's a powder keg of diversity, lol. Especially considering the kid % on the webbernet.

In practice it ends up being a lot of people talking for each other and frankly I think the opinions of actual transgendered people get drowned out because they are such an extreme minority.

FantasticExtrusion fucked around with this message at 01:55 on Oct 17, 2017

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

FantasticExtrusion posted:

Too much signal to noise.

1.) Virtue signaling crowd.

2.) Classic no homo bigotry crowd.

3.) Neo-reactionary bigotry crowd. ("Nuance? Hitler!" - no further civility)

4.) Actual transgendered people who "tow the line" of the current sort of... zeitgeist theory about being trans. Resonates / overlaps with 1 & 3. Approved opinions.

5.) Actual transgendered people who have alternative, or otherwise more nuanced ideas about how we should treat transgendered people; or their nature or origin.

It's a powder keg of diversity, lol. Especially considering the kid % on the webbernet.

In practice it ends up being a lot of people talking for each other and frankly I think the opinions of actual transgendered people get drowned out because they are such an extreme minority.

... 80-95% of the people I've seen in those threads are trans, are you doing some stupid bit or a "not REALLY transgender" thing?

Also, the nomenclature is "transgender people," since being transgender is not something that necessitates a tense added to it.

FantasticExtrusion
Sep 3, 2017

This is kinda what I am talking about. Barely.

The reason I used poor grammar is that the topic is so monopolized by one group's politically correct opinions that I have rarely been willing to discuss the topic in any capacity with anyone in written, recorded form.

No. Not based on an internet board.

Based on the anecdotal opinions of mental health professionals who work with dozens of cases at a time struggling to keep up in the crippled US mental healthcare scene; who as a result meet a lot of trans people and also occasionally sit in my living room.

It surprised me to hear it is not unusual to meet a trans person whose anxiety is in part thanks to not being allowed to talk about their own issues. Now they have noooobody left to identify with. Or they feel that way because of the current state of affairs.

I'm not talking lgbt-specific communities, I'm talking wherever a person who is coincidentally trans has to find people talking about issues that effect them on common boards like Reddit. I'm not saying they're posing as trans, just defence-forcing a polarized topic to a degree that silences the minority they're supposedly defending.

FantasticExtrusion fucked around with this message at 02:31 on Oct 17, 2017

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

This is kinda what I am talking about. Barely.

The reason I used poor grammar is that the topic is so monopolized by one group's politically correct opinions that I have rarely been willing to discuss the topic in any capacity with anyone in written, recorded form.

No. Not based on an internet board.

Based on the anecdotal opinions of mental health professionals who work with dozens of cases at a time struggling to keep up in the crippled US mental healthcare scene; who as a result meet a lot of trans people and also occasionally sit in my living room.

It surprised me to hear it is not unusual to meet a trans person whose anxiety is in part thanks to not being allowed to talk about their own issues. Now they have noooobody left to identify with. Or they feel that way because of the current state of affairs.

I'm not talking lgbt-specific communities, I'm talking wherever a person who is coincidentally trans has to find people talking about issues that effect them on common boards like Reddit. I'm not saying they're posing as trans, just defence-forcing a polarized topic to a degree that silences the minority they're supposedly defending.

I'm having some difficulty parsing your post, so take that as a sign I may misunderstand you.

What monopolistic, politically correct group are you discussing? Can you give a definition of who is in this group, and what actions they are taking to silence trans people?

I'm also not sure about your grammatical point. While there's always discussion about terms, I've yet to meet someone who a. Is trans and b. Uses the term "transgendered." It's always want-to-be* helpful cisgender people who use it.

As an aside, I've worked in trans healthcare and met hundreds of people in that role. While we generally didn't chitchat about the community, I never heard anyone complain about being kept from discussing their own issues.

As for your last paragraph, you've lost me completely. Could you clarify what you mean here?

* not usually successfully.

FantasticExtrusion
Sep 3, 2017

Yeah I don't want to give the impression I am ducking out, I kind of came off on the wrong foot and I'm drat tired.

I'm just some huge gay butthole with objections to reassignment surgery and a strong fear of the scarlet letter associated with not liking the idea generally. I have no objection to the idea of doing it, but the specific tools and methods raise a lot of concerns; and not like weird concerns about due process or anything, just truthfully I think people deserve better, I see them as my peers, and I want to find a way for those people to be comfortable that doesn't involve potentially destructive surgery. Likewise I stand in nobody's way, do whatever with yourself.

I think there's a conversation not being had about public acceptance of people whose behavior doesn't fall directly into a gender-genre.

Maybe we've reached the point where acceptance of gay people is there. But I think we're accepted because being gay or bisexual is pretty boring. Gay people were already blending in to a greater or lesser degree. It's normal. Even in bumfuckia, nobody cares. The spectre of homophobia itself is a fading ghost now. (at least in the US)

I don't think transgender people are accepted, not really, I think in cultured, educated, privileged spaces they are. I think elsewhere someone who obviously may be trans gets the kind of tolerance gay people got N years go: don't say anything and maybe we'll heckle you or not and we -probably- wont punch you. Because we don't understand? I guess.

There is not a way I can attempt to talk about this without wasting a full hour and rewriting it three times so I'm gonna shut up about SRS since I don't plan on it. I need to gently caress off unless I'm at least going to be more open about my own personal experiences. The future is weird and I don't consider this anonymous so I'm not totally into that. People have stalked me and spied on me in the past.

I would have written cisgendered too. It just sounds right with no further implications or question, which is how my words do.

FantasticExtrusion fucked around with this message at 05:17 on Oct 17, 2017

kurona_bright
Mar 21, 2013
I take issue with the idea that homophobia in the us is dying when the "religious right to discriminate" was recently supported by the current president, and the current VP is a raging homophobe. Queer folk still can be fired for being queer across the country, and still suffer higher rates of harassment/prejudice/depression/suicide (transgender folks get the worst of it tho, you're right about that). Of course things are much better now than they were, but just because overt, ugly bigotry is phasing out doesn't mean the more insidious (and arguably more detrimental) prejudices are going away anytime soon (just look at our track record with race).

Also just saying, gut feelings can be wrong. Using "they" as a singular pronoun felt super weird and off putting to me when I first started trying to get it into my vocabulary, but it's coming a lot easier these days.

Gnossiennes
Jan 7, 2013

Loving chairs more every day!

I'm just some huge gay butthole with objections to reassignment surgery and a strong fear of the scarlet letter associated with not liking the idea generally. I have no objection to the idea of doing it, but the specific tools and methods raise a lot of concerns; and not like weird concerns about due process or anything, just truthfully I think people deserve better, I see them as my peers, and I want to find a way for those people to be comfortable that doesn't involve potentially destructive surgery. Likewise I stand in nobody's way, do whatever with yourself.

gently caress off with this poo poo.

First off, there's no one "gender reassignment surgery." Gender affirming surgeries are numerous -- facial surgical options, mastectomy, hysterectomy, all the way down to genital reconstruction (which I'm assuming is what you're getting at).

Two, many trans people don't choose to undergo surgery. This is for a variety of reasons. Choosing to or to not undergo these options doesn't make someone any more or less trans. Being able or unable to undergo them doesn't make someone more or less trans either.

Three, these surgical options can provide a lot of relief to trans people who choose then. Not to all, but for the vast majority who do? Absolutely. Could they be improved? Yeah, of course, and the methods used today do have continual, incremental improvements.

As for adding a tense to transgender (or cisgender as you've mentioned), maybe you should try listening to what people who are a part of that community are telling you and then actually take it to heart. Transgender is not a verb. No one transgenders, because it's an adjective, not a verb.

Overall though, with regards to your posts, I honestly can't tell wtf you're trying to say. It started off as some sort of commentary on discussion issues in the trans community here (I think?), and somehow devolved into your oh-so-brave worrying about trans people's choices in choosing gender affirming surgical options and concern trolling about trans people being out in "uncultured" places.

So, what are you actually trying to say, and does it actually add any value to the trans community?

trashy owl
Aug 23, 2017

Gnossiennes posted:

So, what are you actually trying to say, and does it actually add any value to the trans community?

Also super curious on this point, as at no point on the internet or in real life with my Real Life Trans Friends or my own experience, does any of what was said make sense.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

I generally see opinions like that coming from LGBT people who were raised in a conservative environment, managed to overcome that to accept themselves for who they are, but haven't managed to see through the rest of conservatism for the lying bullshit that it is.

They're able to reject the "all gays are evil child-molesting perverts" rhetoric based on their own personal experience and introspection, but haven't managed to extend that to the wider LGBT community outside their immediate experience, so they still believe in a Gay Agenda to persecute Christians and demonize heterosexuals and cut everyone's dicks off and turn everyone into the straight-hating Christian-bashing caricature that the religious right says all gay people are.

It's common in Texas, newly out gay people who are quick to say "I'm normal, I'm not one of those gays" and share bullshit from fundy websites about gay pride marchers throwing feces on inoffensive Christians just going to church, or the man-hating lesbians in charge of all our public schools forcing all the little boys to sit down to pee for equality and banning the words "he/him" from the classroom, etc. They usually mellow out as they meet more people and learn more about the LGBT community and come to realize that more and more of what they were taught and heard from their conservative family and friends was all bullshit.

But idk, I don't know that poster, I'm just remarking on the similarities between what he wrote and what I've seen in the past from gay people who for a time still believe that LGBT activists are the real bigots and homo/trans-phobia wouldn't exist if they weren't giving all gay people a bad name.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

VitalSigns posted:

But idk, I don't know that poster, I'm just remarking on the similarities between what he wrote and what I've seen in the past from gay people who for a time still believe that LGBT activists are the real bigots and homo/trans-phobia wouldn't exist if they weren't giving all gay people a bad name.

Same. I'm getting a strong vibe of someone who barreled into some queer/trans spaces said a lot of dumb poo poo, and got run off for it. Now they've built up some concern-trolling justification where they're the one who really cares about trans people unlike all those virtue-signaling scolds who are just pretending for brownie points or some poo poo.

Dwanyelle
Jan 13, 2008

Okay, if you go to a group of Trans folk and as a cis person start giving your opinion on surrgeries, they're gonna think your a tool, at the very least.

As a Trans person myself, I give zero shits about the opinion of cis folk when it comes to transitioning. And I say this as someone who is iffy myself on whether I'll get surgeries or not (they're expensive, surgery is dangerous, and they're not at the point where I could get the outcome I really want from it anyway, so why bother?)

Stroop There It Is
Mar 11, 2012

:stroop: :gaysper: :stroop:

I wonder why the consensus of the medical community that surgery is the most successful treatment for dysphoria for some people isn't important to those "concerned" about whether it's an effective treatment.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Gay people are still definitely not widely accepted across the country even by family. A friend of mine is a young man that moved a couple of years ago from N Florida to Atlanta. I never knew why he ran away, but I didn't question. Then saturday morning I wake up and there's a barrage of posts from his father talking mad poo poo about "if you're my blood and gay stay the gently caress away from me" and "it's about being a man and you're not a man if you're sucking dick" type things.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Mr. Nice! posted:

Gay people are still definitely not widely accepted across the country even by family. A friend of mine is a young man that moved a couple of years ago from N Florida to Atlanta. I never knew why he ran away, but I didn't question. Then saturday morning I wake up and there's a barrage of posts from his father talking mad poo poo about "if you're my blood and gay stay the gently caress away from me" and "it's about being a man and you're not a man if you're sucking dick" type things.

Well North Florida is nothing but gators, Klansmen, and the walking dead so what can you expect?

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Well, they're a black family so probably not too klan related, but this type of attitude is common throughout the south. There's a reason ATL is the gayest city in the country and the gay mecca of the south.

Dwanyelle
Jan 13, 2008

Wait were the gayest city in the country?

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

Mr. Nice! posted:

After I wrote my dad a letter about my being transgender, he openly wept and worried that the divorce when I was 7 was the cause. He's Southern Baptist. Now that half of the family will have me over and treat me like a normal person but they don't call me by name and they don't call me by any pronoun. We also never, ever talk about LGBT anything and never mention that I am a woman and not a man.
As much as that hurts, I know it could be so much worse.

My therapist says I should stop assuming everyone I meet is a terrible person only pretending to be civil. It's bad for my mental health. She told me that most people are actually quite nice and want to feel helpful. How do you turn that around? How do you look at all the hatred and see the good in people? I'm a cynic. I've lost faith in God and in humanity. I trust no one and see mankind as greedy and selfish at its core, myself included. I say "I don't care what people say behind my back as long as they are kind to my face" but then assume they talk poo poo when I'm not around.
I'm not alone. Definitely not since last November. Where do you find hope in this climate?

Fake edit: as an aside, I lived half my life in the South. My former step-dad told me, when I was a teenager, that'd rather me be gay than in a bi-racial relationship. Racism!
Real edit: my current step-dad says he doesn't understand what I am or even approve of it, but I'm a happier, better person since the transition and that he can approve of without question.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Thalantos posted:

Wait were the gayest city in the country?

I don't know about the country, but certainly in the South. Orlando was a close second, which is part of why the Pulse shooting was so horrifying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dwanyelle
Jan 13, 2008

Aleph Null posted:

After I wrote my dad a letter about my being transgender, he openly wept and worried that the divorce when I was 7 was the cause. He's Southern Baptist. Now that half of the family will have me over and treat me like a normal person but they don't call me by name and they don't call me by any pronoun. We also never, ever talk about LGBT anything and never mention that I am a woman and not a man.
As much as that hurts, I know it could be so much worse.

My therapist says I should stop assuming everyone I meet is a terrible person only pretending to be civil. It's bad for my mental health. She told me that most people are actually quite nice and want to feel helpful. How do you turn that around? How do you look at all the hatred and see the good in people? I'm a cynic. I've lost faith in God and in humanity. I trust no one and see mankind as greedy and selfish at its core, myself included. I say "I don't care what people say behind my back as long as they are kind to my face" but then assume they talk poo poo when I'm not around.
I'm not alone. Definitely not since last November. Where do you find hope in this climate?

Fake edit: as an aside, I lived half my life in the South. My former step-dad told me, when I was a teenager, that'd rather me be gay than in a bi-racial relationship. Racism!
Real edit: my current step-dad says he doesn't understand what I am or even approve of it, but I'm a happier, better person since the transition and that he can approve of without question.

Having spent the first three decades if my life pretending to be a cis man, I agree. Plenty of folks who are nice to your face, but everyone pretty much bursts out laughing\talking poo poo once you leave .

I've seen it happen again and again.

• Locked thread