Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Djeser
Mar 22, 2013

it's crow time again

i liked the older edgier rollercoaster wheel finger dragon art, not this new disneyfied rollercoaster wheel finger dragon art :mad:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

Trauma Dog 3000 posted:

I said social position, not socioeconomic.
Nerds are horrible and like horrible things; they and their media equally deserve the treatment that you protest.

Trauma Dog 3000
Aug 30, 2017

by SA Support Robot

Sham bam bamina! posted:

Nerds are horrible and like horrible things; they and their media equally deserve the treatment that you protest.

Nah

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Trauma Dog 3000 posted:

I said social position, not socioeconomic.

All social conditions are economic conditions.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

I brought my Drake
Jul 10, 2014

These high-G injections have some serious side effects after pulling so many jumps.

outlier posted:

You've reminded me of a Terrible Book from years ago (the mid-80s?): Airscream. For a while, it seemed to be in every used book shop and pile of free books, so as a bookish youth I ended up reading it. Essentially it's the lead to a horrific mid-air collision and the public inquiry afterward. The court material is decently readable, but the crash itself features lots of characters being finely detailed and then suddenly killed. The one that sticks in my mind is a whole chapter about a farmer, the details of his life, his worries about the farm, the conversations with his family, what he does that day, etc. etc. Then in the final paragraph of the chapter, he's eviscerated by red-hot falling debris and never mentioned for the rest of the book.

That reminds me of a short story I read for school about an elderly curmudgeon who gets shot in the head during a bank robbery and the rest of the story is about his last fleeting thoughts: a childhood memory involving baseball and a curious turn of phrase. Like the story takes an abrupt and unapologetic turn.

*Googles*

It's Bullet in the Brain by Tobias Wolff.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Trauma Dog 3000 posted:

Most literary criticism is nothing more than sneering at people of lower social standing by attacking the media they enjoy

Nerd culture has won. Superhero movies dominate the box office. Game of Thrones is a huge cultural touchstone. Videogames are a multi-million dollar industry. The stuffiest publications write glowing reviews and geeky products win national awards.

Stop acting like you're persecuted because a friend of a friend of a friend was once told Drizzt books weren't real literature

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

In my experience, people who argue that are always at least reasonably affluent middle-class people.

I am A Poor and he's absolutely right. An enormous part of whether is something is considered "literary" or scores well with literary critics is how closely it hews to the cultural values the upper and upper-middle classes want to promote.

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL
Feb 21, 2006

Holy Moly! DARKSEID IS!

Free Market Mambo posted:

My shartball squad is unstoppable.

It's been a few years since the Twisted thread, did the lizard coasters have their own unfortunately-named sport? I remember someone started writing spitefic from the perspective of the police detective from the book, that was fun.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

The Vosgian Beast posted:

Nerd culture has won. Superhero movies dominate the box office. Game of Thrones is a huge cultural touchstone. Videogames are a multi-million dollar industry. The stuffiest publications write glowing reviews and geeky products win national awards.

Stop acting like you're persecuted because a friend of a friend of a friend was once told Drizzt books weren't real literature

So you're saying popular things that make a lot of money from appealing to the masses are 'high' culture?

TheSmilingJackal
Apr 30, 2007

Don't worry, it's a very heavy feather.

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL posted:

It's been a few years since the Twisted thread, did the lizard coasters have their own unfortunately-named sport? I remember someone started writing spitefic from the perspective of the police detective from the book, that was fun.

I haven't encountered a poorly thought out roller-coaster sport yet; they do have a fighting arena, but I don't think that counts.

I am genuinely enjoying the spitefic. I hope it doesn't just petter out and actually has an end.

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

Besesoth posted:

I am A Poor and he's absolutely right. An enormous part of whether is something is considered "literary" or scores well with literary critics is how closely it hews to the cultural values the upper and upper-middle classes want to promote.

Considering how many affluent white people I’ve seen furiously wanking over RPO and how amazingly fantastic it is, I guess Ernest Cline gets the Nobel Prize in literature next year.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Tunicate posted:

So you're saying popular things that make a lot of money from appealing to the masses are 'high' culture?

No I'm saying they're not endangered artforms

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Besesoth posted:

I am A Poor and he's absolutely right.

This simply means that you've internalized a middle-class ideology. The argument is essentially that genre fiction is somehow innately proletarian, because this argument is only used to defend popular genre fiction. Nobody uses it to defend proletarian literature.

Besesoth posted:

An enormous part of whether is something is considered "literary" or scores well with literary critics is how closely it hews to the cultural values the upper and upper-middle classes want to promote.

Have you ever actually read literary criticism?

BravestOfTheLamps has a new favorite as of 07:18 on Oct 12, 2017

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Lamps shits on a lot of stuff I enjoy but goddamn if he isn't the most reasonable person in the thread right now.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
I wonder how people reconcile literary criticism being "classist" with the existence of Marxist criticism.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Marxism is extremely classist. I mean, that's the whole central thesis of Marxism.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

The Lone Badger posted:

Marxism is extremely classist. I mean, that's the whole central thesis of Marxism.

Jesus Christ.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

That's complete nonsense.

Trauma Dog 3000
Aug 30, 2017

by SA Support Robot

I wonder how people reconcile literary criticism being "classist" with the existence of Marxist criticism.

Marxism is an ideology of spoiled rich children who've never had a real job?

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Frigate Hetman Sahaidachny
First to Fight Scuttle, First to Fall Sink

I can't remember the name for posterity, but one of the first times I could tell I was reading some crazy poo poo was when I was just out of reading goosebumps books and read a short story about the son of a pharma CEO. The corporation had recently discovered an immortality serum, so the shithead son commits patricide and steals the serum, and flees to the under-construction family manor. On the way back, he explains his plan to the family butler, kinda rubbing it in how he'll be rich and immortal so it doesn't matter even if he's caught, etc, and then departs inside to take the serum and prepare a bugout bag. Thinking he's a genius the kid takes the immortality juice and revels in his victory for a minute, before he's pushed through a window and into a cement floor that's filling in. Kid looks up in horror at the butler essentially giving him the finger, and the butler leaves knowing the kid will be entombed in cement for eternity.

I'm pretty sure it might have been a Shivers book.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Trauma Dog 3000 posted:

Marxism is an ideology of spoiled rich children who've never had a real job?

And the poor.

But meh who cares what they think when you can listen to their middle class betters.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Xarbala posted:

Lamps shits on a lot of stuff I enjoy but goddamn if he isn't the most reasonable person in the thread right now.

I kind of agree with this right now.

But I think a lot of the reaction is more to BoL and not his arguments right now. Dude does have a reputation of swooping in and telling people they're wrong for enjoying the things they do.

Trauma Dog 3000
Aug 30, 2017

by SA Support Robot

CharlestheHammer posted:

And the poor.

But meh who cares what they think when you can listen to their middle class betters.

not really for the poor though, they just kind of have it thrust on them with a rifle bayonet.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Trauma Dog 3000 posted:

not really for the poor though, they just kind of have it thrust on them with a rifle bayonet.

I mean not really.

Trauma Dog 3000
Aug 30, 2017

by SA Support Robot

CharlestheHammer posted:

I mean not really.

yeah kinda

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
I like that Trauma Dog started this by criticizing bourgeois conservatism but then pivoted into advocating bourgeois conservatism.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

In that any attempt to have an ideal requires enforcement against someone I guess?

Kind of a useless critic

the old ceremony
Aug 1, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
nerds gush about ready player one because they were all tricked in their developmentally vital early years into developing emotional attachments to media rather than people. most of the media they loved back then is now discontinued, so a book like ready player one is like a novel about their dead best friend and they treat it with the appropriate reverence

Trauma Dog 3000
Aug 30, 2017

by SA Support Robot

I like that Trauma Dog started this by criticizing bourgeois conservatism but then pivoted into advocating bourgeois conservatism.

Communism is an ideology which cements a slightly different group of bourgeois in power

Trauma Dog 3000
Aug 30, 2017

by SA Support Robot

CharlestheHammer posted:

In that any attempt to have an ideal requires enforcement against someone I guess?

Kind of a useless critic

*sends thousands of poors to the gulags*

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Trauma Dog 3000 posted:

*sends thousands of poors to the gulags*

What does America have to do with this.

Trauma Dog 3000
Aug 30, 2017

by SA Support Robot

CharlestheHammer posted:

What does America have to do with this.

you're right, they had earned some slavery credits

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Trauma Dog 3000 posted:

Communism is an ideology which cements a slightly different group of bourgeois in power

This is the cynical conservative defence of the established order: it's impossible to change the system, so the only choice is to accept it. It's a very bourgeois position, unless you're advocating for anarchism.

Trauma Dog 3000
Aug 30, 2017

by SA Support Robot

This is the cynical conservative defence of the established order: it's impossible to change the system, so the only choice is to accept it. It's a very bourgeois position, unless you're advocating for anarchism.

or maybe I don't like communism.

There's no getting past human nature though, there will always be a social class structure.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Trauma Dog 3000 posted:

or maybe I don't like communism.

There's no getting past human nature though, there will always be a social class structure.

No John, you are the bourgeois.

Trauma Dog 3000
Aug 30, 2017

by SA Support Robot
now back to literary criticism consisting mostly of spitting on people below you

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Rothfuss and Morrisey are both significantly richer than any goon, are we allowed to criticise them?

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Morrissey from the Smiths? I never read his books because I think he's a oval office. I've heard his autobiography is meant to be good, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
The whole idea that literary criticism is upper-class snobbery seems to be based on the absurd notion that literary critics and academics are rich.