Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

Marquis de Pyro posted:

In Mark Dantonio's 3rd year at MSU he went 6-7.

I mean, I get it, lots of Michigan fans are annoying and acted like Harbaugh would win the national title every year from year 1. They were dumb though. This team won 5 games the year before Harbaugh got here. I'm sure at the time you were happy to talk about how Michigan sucked, had limited talent, and MSU was clearly the better team. And you weren't wrong.

So, I mean, no, I'm not really ready to say "actually our coach sucks and we're going to be bad forever" because we lost a game by 4 points after turning it over 5 times in a monsoon. Sorry. At least we lost with dignity or whatever

At the end of the day, Michigan lost a ton of talent to the NFL, and aren't at the place Ohio State is, where the depth exists to replace NFLers with more future NFLers.

The same thing happened to Michigan State in 2016, and they went 3-9. Michigan's closer to Ohio State than Michigan State in terms of success after major roster turnover.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..
MdP’s meltdowns are one of my favorite things about the CFB threads.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Yo, Texas is tied with one other team for the lead in the Big 12.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

LeeMajors posted:

Oh man I forgot about that article :stare:

The favoritism on the team was pretty poisonous, although I think it eventually cooled off.

Although the Heisman lost legitimacy much much earlier (Hornung maybe?), the real moment it clicked how bullshit it is was when Grossman came in 2nd to Crouch.

Total. loving. Bullshit.

There was also a blatant and massive orchestrated campaign among Big 12 writers to simply not vote for Tebow, or rank him last on the ballot to make sure Bradford got it.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

We Gators may be gigantic downer babies, but you won't see any of us bragging about losing 'with dignity.'

Woof.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

LeeMajors posted:

We Gators may be gigantic downer babies, but you won't see any of us bragging about losing 'with dignity.'

Woof.

To be honest I'm kind of proud of Missouri losing by an acceptable score last week, so I guess I don't have any place throwing stones in this argument.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

LeeMajors posted:

Woof.

Lmao we lose spectacularly poorly because our team sucks and we're entitled pieces of poo poo because of the Tebow years, and to some extent the Spurrier ones.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

LeeMajors posted:

Woof.

Getting self-righteous about sports is more of a Midwest thing. See: Michigan fans getting mad about rap on the PA or Penn St. somehow still claiming to do things "the right way" even though they're the child rape school.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight
I find I'm quite indignant when I lose.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

PostNouveau posted:

It would kinda own if we spent all off season dreading the CCG rematch of an in state game already played in the round robin schedule and somehow it turns out to be Texas TCU

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs

Crotch Bat posted:

So honest question but why do some of you hate Urbz? Is it because he's a rival head coach and beat(s) you often or did you not like his reason for leaving UF or what?

I mean, if I'm a UF fan I'm hating him forever but that didn't directly affect me so I don't really dislike the guy, especially not when this sport is figuratively awash in a sea of coaches who are lovely human beings.

Asking just because of recent pages and also having a talk with my dad and one of his friends. They intensely dislike him, I'm totally neutral and if he was my HC I would loving love him because all he does is recruit like a maniac and win a whole bunch.

He can suck my wiener

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
"lose with dignity" seemed sarcastic to me tbh

Wylie
Jun 27, 2005

Ever to conquer, never to yield.

KKKLIP ART posted:

Yeah but an outside firm was hired to dig up dirt, so if they are doing it for a player who doesn't have to worry about academic eligibility, what will they do for ones that they need to keep eligible?

Sure, Lightfoot, Franklin and White is an "outside firm." They've practically got an office next door to the AD. They're Auburn's designated "outside firm" that gets paid not to find anything.

It's been fun watching Mark Schlabach walk back his reporting all night, though. At first, the report said it was a 2016 player, then they edited it, and Schlabach tweeted that he didn't read the article (that was written apparently by him) until it was posted.

(Doesn't "Lightfoot, Franklin and White" sound like a Miami receivers corps from the 80's?)

vvv also an acceptable answer!

Wylie fucked around with this message at 06:17 on Oct 12, 2017

Adlai Stevenson
Mar 4, 2010

Making me ashamed to feel the way that I do

Wylie posted:

(Doesn't "Lightfoot, Franklin and White" sound like a Miami receivers corps from the 80's?)

I would've gone with 70's Canadian supergroup

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Lightfoot, Franklin and White? More like :laffo:, gently caress the NCAA and War Eagle

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

MourningView posted:

counterpoint: everything MdP has ever posted

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

MourningView posted:

I'd normally agree but:

[quote="“Alaois”" post="“477301527”"]
counterpoint: everything MdP has ever posted
[/quote]

wernox
Mar 26, 2001

I gave up my OG title for this.

LeeMajors posted:

Oh man I forgot about that article :stare:

The favoritism on the team was pretty poisonous, although I think it eventually cooled off.

Although the Heisman lost legitimacy much much earlier (Hornung maybe?), the real moment it clicked how bullshit it is was when Grossman came in 2nd to Crouch.

Total. loving. Bullshit.

You mean Drew Brees and LT losing to Chris Weinke and Ron Dayne the two years prior didn't already do that for you? Heck Joe Hamilton was 2nd in 1999 and Josh Heupel in 2000.....Dayne at least could claim he broke the rushing record, what did those other three ever do?

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

wernox posted:

You mean Drew Brees and LT losing to Chris Weinke and Ron Dayne the two years prior didn't already do that for you? Heck Joe Hamilton was 2nd in 1999 and Josh Heupel in 2000.....Dayne at least could claim he broke the rushing record, what did those other three ever do?

Chris Weinke was great :colbert:

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

wernox posted:

Weinke and Dayne were loving ballers in college.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Yeah, it's the best college player, not the best player who blows up in the NFL.

wernox
Mar 26, 2001

I gave up my OG title for this.
And Brees and LT weren't? Who meant more to their team than Brees in 2000?

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

wernox posted:

And Brees and LT weren't? Who meant more to their team than Brees in 2000?

You'll get no argument from me the Heisman voting is flawed, but in examples of voters coronating Good Player on Great Team, Dayne and Weinke are not on the list.

Toretta and Crouch are the most egregious in my lifetime. Maaaaaybe Troy Smith, but he did have a pretty big year before UF eviscerated him.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

LeeMajors posted:

Toretta and Crouch are the most egregious in my lifetime. Maaaaaybe Troy Smith, but he did have a pretty big year before UF eviscerated him.

Crouch got a career achievement award for being okish to good on a very good team for 4 years because Grossman was just a sophomore really. Thankfully I think we've moved past the "no freshmen or sophomores can win the Heisman" but it was a real thing forever.

There's no doubt in my mind if Grossman was a junior that year he would have won.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

LeeMajors posted:

Weinke and Dayne were loving ballers in college.

Weinke's experience being alive for like 45 years and playing college football set him apart from the competition.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

Grittybeard posted:

Crouch got a career achievement award for being okish to good on a very good team for 4 years because Grossman was just a sophomore really. Thankfully I think we've moved past the "no freshmen or sophomores can win the Heisman" but it was a real thing forever.

There's no doubt in my mind if Grossman was a junior that year he would have won.

Crouch was egregious because he was an ok player on a team that backed its way into a BCS title game.

He won even after they were destroyed by Colorado. Nebraska didn't even play for their own conference title.

But yeah, I guess he caught a nifty throwback TD pass so GIVE HIM THE HARDWARE

vyst posted:

Weinke's experience being alive for like 45 years and playing college football set him apart from the competition.

Paid off the voters with butterscotch candies.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

What happened to crouch in the NFL. Did he get hurt or just suck

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

euphronius posted:

What happened to crouch in the NFL. Did he get hurt or just suck

He loving gave up.

No he actually just really quit because he was so depressed they wouldn't play him at quarterback after a few weeks playing receiver in training camp/preseason. The guy who never passed for more than *checks* 1510 yards in a year in college and had a 51.5% completion rate and had a paltry 29/25 TD/INT was stunned that he wasn't handed an NFL quarterback job.

e: He tried to come back later on a couple of times, but yeah he sucked when he did. So a combination of sucking and quitting.

Grittybeard fucked around with this message at 13:57 on Oct 12, 2017

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

PostNouveau posted:

And a happy Thursday of Oklahoma lost to Iowa State Week to you as well.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Grittybeard posted:

He loving gave up.

No he actually just really quit because he was so depressed they wouldn't play him at quarterback after a few weeks playing receiver in training camp/preseason. The guy who never passed for more than *checks* 1510 yards in a year in college and had a 51.5% completion rate and had a paltry 29/25 TD/INT was stunned that he wasn't handed an NFL quarterback job.

e: He tried to come back later on a couple of times, but yeah he sucked when he did. So a combination of sucking and quitting.

Oh I think I was thinking of Couch not Crouch

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

euphronius posted:

Tim Couch is like the first QB on the infamous Browns jersey with 100 QB names on it.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

euphronius posted:

Oh, Couch just got Brownsed. And expansion Brownsed when they really didn't have anything to put around him. In another world he might have been something.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Couch and David Carr were victims of expansion team rosters that might have been ok in a more stable system.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
Eric Crouch was really loving cool

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kFT-pDHmGTk

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

This might be your worst post yet :mad:

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Block me for being an unironic DeSantis fan, too!
The Gators are somehow favorites to beat A&M.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

LLCoolJD posted:

You forgot A&M is rear end.

Manoueverable
Oct 23, 2010

Dubs Loves Wubs
NCAA Week 7: In case you forgot, A&M is still rear end

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

LLCoolJD posted:

Our best performance of the year is an 8 point loss to Bama; take that away and there's certainly no reason we should be favored on the road against even a mediocre Florida.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

Manoueverable posted:

NCAA Week 7: In case you forgot, A&M is still rear end

in two weeks we hopefully get 0-Title IX

• Locked thread