Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Nebakenezzer posted:

Later Canadian livery: p good

That is a good livery

Psion posted:

I googled Fokker Friendship to look it up because I've never heard of them, but I get a turboprop plane - F27 - and not those. :confused:

F28 Fellowship maybe? That's what my "click on some wikipedia links and try to find it" turned up.

Yeah those are F.28s.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

priznat
Jul 7, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
Aw this thread is making me nostalgic for Canadian Airlines :( RIP good national carrier.

Zemyla
Aug 6, 2008

I'll take her off your hands. Pleasure doing business with you!
My first flight was in 1996, on a Continental 737. I don't remember what subtype, and I don't know where to find Continental livery from 1996.

I've heard lots of bad things about Delta, United, American Airlines, and so on, but not so much about Continental. Have they been doing okay in the not-dragging-passengers-off-planes department?

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Zemyla posted:

My first flight was in 1996, on a Continental 737. I don't remember what subtype, and I don't know where to find Continental livery from 1996.

I've heard lots of bad things about Delta, United, American Airlines, and so on, but not so much about Continental. Have they been doing okay in the not-dragging-passengers-off-planes department?

Continental merged into United, so, no.

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!
You mean the Continental that merged with United, adopted that name and continued doing business under the Continental legal entity?

No, they're not doing good, at all.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010
My first flight as a solo kid was when I was 10ish and it was on a Pan-Am 747 with a name on it. Don't remember the name though. Also got wings and a trip to the cockpit.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

priznat posted:

Aw this thread is making me nostalgic for Canadian Airlines :( RIP good national carrier.

I'm somebody who's never flown outside of Canada, but I get this vauge impression that compared to most American mainline carriers, Air Canada is actually pretty good.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Yeah Air Canada is solid, it's just expensive (though not much more expensive than intra-Canada flight in general).

Slo-Tek
Jun 8, 2001

WINDOWS 98 BEAT HIS FRIEND WITH A SHOVEL
Scaled built a new and silly thing.

http://www.aviationpros.com/press_release/12373947/scaled-completes-first-flight-of-experimental-aircraft

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

I find Air Canada when flying first class fantastic and as good as anybody. When flying coach I definitely find them near the bottom of the pack for customer service/experience in general compared to other carriers steerage class.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

Nebakenezzer posted:

I'm somebody who's never flown outside of Canada, but I get this vauge impression that compared to most American mainline carriers, Air Canada is actually pretty good.

It's not bad by any means I just much preferred Canadian. They were more western focused and I enjoyed flying them albeit I was a kid. In my mind Air Canada is forever linked with flying into shithole 80s Pearson whenever we would go east of Manitoba. Not sure if there were less routes or what but seemed like we always flew AC there.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Dannywilson posted:

Some of them are a little short for the job, but don't let that distract you.

E: Air Canada, a new line from Hugo Boss.

TK-421, why aren't you at your post?

Dannywilson posted:

Y'all are welcome to some darts, timbits, and Kokanee after though, wouldn't want you leavin angry.

Except it's still AC, so it's more like
"chicken or vegetarian"
"what's the vegetarian?"
:rolleyes: "it's the vegetable one" *bashes your shoulder with the cart*

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
First flight I can recall is on a Alitalia 747 to Rome. I was taken to the flight deck where two nice Italian pilots gave me a plastic set of wings.

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

My first flight was on a Southwest 737. The most :geno: flight.

It was the old gold/red livery IIRC.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.
Pan Am 707, didn't get any wings. :(

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.
Apparently I flew on a plane to Florida when I was like 2 years old, but I don't remember what it was.

The first flight I remember taking was a Continental Airlines 727 from Cleveland to Phoenix in the mid-'90s. I remember getting an entire can of Sprite, and my dad pointing out that it was made of steel rather than aluminum.

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

:siren::siren::siren::siren:
- FUCK THE HABS -
Early 80's United 727 MFR -> SFO

I was a little kid and my mom loving hates flying so I got locked in and didn't get to do anything cool. :argh:

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

I flew to the UK when I was a toddler so that doesn't count, next time was when I was maybe 12 or 13 from Toronto to Calgary on a DC8. No plastic wings, just a sinus problem that caused agonizing pain on descent, probably because the outflow valves were so gummed up with cigarette tar there was no real way of accurately controlling cabin pressure.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

joat mon posted:

drat. That's some baller street cred right there.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

joat mon posted:

Piedmont 727.

:):hf::corsair:

spookykid
Apr 28, 2006

I am an awkward fellow
after all

Finger Prince posted:

Except it's still AC, so it's more like
"chicken or vegetarian"
"what's the vegetarian?"
:rolleyes: "it's the vegetable one" *bashes your shoulder with the cart*

Yeah the hospitality we got was def the contractor that handled our flights into and out of St. Johns, they would show up, help us bed our plane down for the night, hand us beer and timbits while the crew finalized the next day's schedule, and then drive us down to the hotel. You definitely wanted to land at SJ rather than Gander when you were coming out of the sandbox.

spookykid fucked around with this message at 03:17 on Oct 12, 2017

VERTiG0
Jul 11, 2001

go move over bro

Oh my god the memories of family vacations to see my grandparents in the early 90s, YYZ to YVR, that livery is forever stuck in my mind.

Also flew Canada 3000 a few times, I think I may still have a set of Canada 3000 branded in-flight headphones somewhere in a box.

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

My paper soldiers form a wall, five paces thick and twice as tall.
First flight was on a Delta plane, either a 727 or an MD-88. I flew on one to Florida and on the other back, and I can't remember which order.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
The earliest flights I remember were on 727s and MD-80s I'm pretty sure. The first flight I can actually remember in terms of matching the aircraft and itinerary was a 747 from Miami to Cape Town when I was 9.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless
I was going through some photos to try and find one of me as a toddler on a BAE 146 in the 80's, which I think I've posted here before. I couldn't find that, but I did find a neat picture of the back end of the early model E-2 that's on display at the USS Midway Museum in San Diego.

e: searching my post history informs me that the photos are still there on my server, just named weird:

Wingnut Ninja posted:

Going through some old photos, I found pictures of what may be my very first airplane ride ever.

Wingnut Ninja fucked around with this message at 03:59 on Oct 12, 2017

INTJ Mastermind
Dec 30, 2004

It's a radial!
Random question but how long does it take to shut down a modern airliner (A321 specifically). Reason I ask is because I recently was on one, and by the time I deplaned (Row 15) the cockpit was completely dark, lights off and nobody home. Usually the captain or FO is at the door saying goodbye to the passengers, or finishing checklists, but not today apparently. Figured either the flight crew had another flight to catch or one of them had to poop really bad and basically ran out the door.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Aircraft shutdown is pretty loving quick. We could have the awacs off in about 3-5 minutes if the checklist was ran without interruptions.

vessbot
Jun 17, 2005
I don't like you because you're dangerous
Never really thought about it, but could probably have the CRJ from parking brake to cold & dark in less than a minute if we were trying for it.

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005

INTJ Mastermind posted:

Random question but how long does it take to shut down a modern airliner (A321 specifically). Reason I ask is because I recently was on one, and by the time I deplaned (Row 15) the cockpit was completely dark, lights off and nobody home. Usually the captain or FO is at the door saying goodbye to the passengers, or finishing checklists, but not today apparently. Figured either the flight crew had another flight to catch or one of them had to poop really bad and basically ran out the door.

On the Q400, we have a forced three minute wait in the power-down checklist to keep one of the navigation systems from getting cranky when it gets powered on.

If that wait is skipped (which happens if we had to evacuate for some reason), we can shut the airplane down in somewhere under a minute if needed.

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde
I have never flown on a 747. My first flight was on a Continental 727 in 1973 just like this

I flew on an IL 62 ten years ago and thought it was pretty quiet and comfortable.

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?
I've been a very busy little man.

Sugartime Jones
United from ORD to PIT in late 70s or early 80s.

Plastic wings and a coloring book

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

cowboy elvis posted:

Aircraft shutdown is pretty loving quick. We could have the awacs off in about 3-5 minutes if the checklist was ran without interruptions.

AKA the Friday afternoon sortie.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

INTJ Mastermind posted:

A321 is pretty straightforward - engines off, external power connected, APU off, external power off, batteries off (depending on policy). Cabin lights are on the ground service bus so will be powered with just the aircraft plugged in. Longest thing would be waiting for the APU to complete its shutdown sequence so 45-60 seconds. If there's nothing to put in the log you could probably be out of there within 2 minutes of them hooking up the GPU.

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

All these kid-in-cockpit stories will never happen again, and that's sad.

However... I was on a flight the other week where they pulled the curtain across the front galley, which I have since become pretty sure is their SOP for when the cockpit door is open: not realising this, I stuck my head round the curtain and asked if I could use the toilet. The stewardess said yes, although she seemed very surprised, and as I went to open the bathroom door I noticed that the cockpit door was ajar.

I cannot describe how tempting it was to stick my head around the door, offer a jolly "hullo lads, what's going on in here?". But instead I decided I'd rather not be arrested and taken god knows where upon our landing in China. My wife probably wouldn't have found it amusing either.

PS: hullo :nsa:

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

I don't remember my first flight alone, but I went on many 737s and F50s when I was a child and cockpit visits were so routine I eventually started haughtily declining them.

Buttcoin purse
Apr 24, 2014

My first flight was a Continental DC-10 in 1990, and this is apparently a photo of a Continental DC-10 in 1990 (can't say I really remember what the plane looked like after all these years!):

I'm disappointed that it actually looks gold in that photo, the photo hasn't faded and made it look orange.

VideoGameVet posted:

My first flight, I was around 6 or so, was on one of these:

(NYC to Maine, summer camp)

I don't know why I hadn't seen it before but now I suddenly get why people holly bloops cowboy elvis thinks they look bad.

Wingnut Ninja posted:

I did find a neat picture of the back end of the early model E-2 that's on display at the USS Midway Museum in San Diego.

What? You can go in there? gently caress! :argh: :negative: :suicide:

To be fair I really want to see all the equipment running so I'm better off finding a YouTube video, maybe in a few decades when it's all really obsolete.

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

Buttcoin purse posted:

My first flight was a Continental DC-10 in 1990, and this is apparently a photo of a Continental DC-10 in 1990 (can't say I really remember what the plane looked like after all these years!):

God drat, I thought "Hong Kong?" then looked closer and there it was.

It's one of my eternal disappointments that I missed out on flying into Kai Tak. If you're a flight sim nerd and you haven't already, fire up a Kai Tak landing. Basically you fly AT a checkerboard painted on a mountain rockface, swing it 90 degrees right, drop from the sky like a stone and ignore everything bitching Betty says, and hope you don't clip a towerblock and/or run into the sea.

Hospitals in Hong Kong used to have to keep (aggregated) spare bed capacity equal to a fully-booked 747 because the landing is so insane

E: 47 degrees, apparently, not 90
Also bear in mind that a missed approach takes you only a short hop across the harbour towards skyscrapers and mountains
Plus the turn was made at around 200 knots
There was a height limit for buildings in kowloon (which you fly over to land) but it's commonplace here in HK for people to build an illegal extra floor on the rooftops. Plus Kowloon Walled City (a while other amazing thing in its own right) basically ran itself, the police wouldn't enter it, and people added multiple stories over the decades
As a result it's easy to see what was built after th airport closed. Taller than 11 floors (or 9 in East Kowloon)? Post 1998.

E2: it took 15 years or so for the government to decontaminate the runway (I guess jet fuel, brake dust and rubber?) before a cruise ship terminal could be built there. I've sailed around it in a sailboat, there are still clear signs of what used to be there, from the obvious like radar buildings to the more subtle like how transport infrastructure is laid out. Much like getting your plastic wings from the pilot, it's something aviation will probably never repeat.

simplefish fucked around with this message at 10:09 on Oct 12, 2017

AzureSkys
Apr 27, 2003

My first plane ride was at the age of 7 in a Cessna 172 that belonged to the son my dad's boss. My dad worked for Flying J truck stops and traveled a bunch on business aircraft, so I often got to go inside and look around before he'd depart. He flew with Jay Call, the founder of the company, a lot, too and I was told I'd get a ride with him sometime but my dad left the company not long later. Years later, Jay crashed in his Citation. http://trib.com/news/state-and-regional/flying-j-founder-killed-in-plane-crash/article_d2605ecc-7232-5697-bcdd-4eafeaee3c07.html

My dad had recently got back in contact with him just before that happened looking to maybe working together again, so he took it pretty hard.

My 2nd flight was in a Cap-10B with Bob Heale, an aerobatic pilot who performed in airshows in the area. He was a friend of a family friend who was also a pilot. Bob offered him a ride, but he felt too elderly to go and knew my love of planes so I got to go instead. We did loops, rolls, hammerheads, and all sorts of stuff. I was thrilled, but not the best with motion sickness so we landed when I started to feel ill.

A few years later he crashed at an airshow in that same plane. http://www.spokesman.com/stories/1996/sep/16/pilot-dies-after-fairchild-air-show-crash-i-got-a/. It's eerie to look at the few pictures I have of me buckling in just before we took off.

So, I felt like I was a curse! My 3rd flight was a short one from SEA to GEG on Southwest which was uneventful and no one crashed later, to the best of my knowledge. It was the first time I flew above the clouds and mountains so my face was glued to the window the whole time.

vessbot
Jun 17, 2005
I don't like you because you're dangerous
We routinely take kids into the cockpit and give plastic wings. Only at the gate though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brovine
Dec 24, 2011

Mooooo?
My first flight was a school trip to Rome when I was about 11, probably some generic older 737 belonging to I have no idea which airline.

The majority of the rest of my flying has been for work on company 737ngs in my old job and baby buses and E-jets in my current one.

My most recent flight was a very comfortable trip to the USA in business class. Top deck on a 747 on the way out, too. Airline travel perks are pretty cool.