Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.

Magic Hate Ball posted:

It's one of my favorite Monk pieces and it makes me sad Quarry was never officially recorded in full, though Radio Songs is floating around somewhere.

Oh, loving dope, thanks for the hook-up

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
I didn't mean to include it but the last track is from Robert Wilson's 1973 12-hour career mashup Life And Times of Joseph Stalin.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:

Magic Hate Ball posted:

I didn't mean to include it but the last track is from Robert Wilson's 1973 12-hour career mashup Life And Times of Joseph Stalin.

What about the fifth one "Quarry Procession"? All I can find on Radio Songs is that it was a four track record, but I'm not sure if maybe there's different pressings. Was this released in '72, 'cause the current pressings are from 2014.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!

K. Waste posted:

What about the fifth one "Quarry Procession"? All I can find on Radio Songs is that it was a four track record, but I'm not sure if maybe there's different pressings. Was this released in '72, 'cause the current pressings are from 2014.

That's an incredibly good question that I absolutely lack the answer to and hadn't even considered.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:

Magic Hate Ball posted:

That's an incredibly good question that I absolutely lack the answer to and hadn't even considered.

It's digitally available on a compilation from 2009 called Beginnings, so maybe it was some kind of demo or single.

Thanks again all the same, this is the straight dope.

edit:

According to Discogs, she began work on Quarry in '72, and "Gotham Blues" and "Gotham Lullaby" were commissioned by Ping Chong for Fear and Loathing in Gotham in '75, so I'm just gonna put it in my iTunes as ca. '72-'75. How'd did you get ahold of this rad poo poo, anyway?

K. Waste fucked around with this message at 02:44 on Oct 12, 2017

Post 9-11 User
Apr 14, 2010
If I see A24 in the trailer I immediately stop it and order a ticket or copy.

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

21 Grams
Maborosi
Silver Lake Life: The View from Here (this documentary is super raw and broke me the first time I saw it)

21 Grams suuuc- wait, wait, I'm thinking of, Maria Full Of Grace. Okay film but really pedestrian in its anti-drug message.

You want a film about dying? Mr. Nobody, Enter The Void, and even Antichrist counts.

The best film about death is from a director that fell from grace. gently caress that rapist creep forever, gently caress him to a pulp (okay, do not actually do horrible violent sex crimes) do not give him money. A 1,000 year voyage to defy the death of your loved ones and yourself before, at long last, accepting it. gently caress him for tainting his own artwork by preying on others.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!

K. Waste posted:

It's digitally available on a compilation from 2009 called Beginnings, so maybe it was some kind of demo or single.

Thanks again all the same, this is the straight dope.

edit:

According to Discogs, she began work on Quarry in '72, and "Gotham Blues" and "Gotham Lullaby" were commissioned by Ping Chong for Fear and Loathing in Gotham in '75, so I'm just gonna put it in my iTunes as ca. '72-'75. How'd did you get ahold of this rad poo poo, anyway?

Filehunting back in my college days when I was obsessed with Robert Wilson (you can get the rest of the Joseph Stalin stuff album here, I think, I recommend it).. A lot of this stuff comes and goes but there are always blog sites floating around with links to obscure stuff - I still love digging through this, and sometimes I still stumble across blogspot and wordpress sites that upload weird tapes and albums. There's plenty on youtube as well (I was gonna link the awesome analog 70s version of Music In Twelve Parts but it seems to be gone RIP) but there's something special about someone's livejournal that has, like, musique concrete albums and tapes of people's parents playing grand piano.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"

Gorman Thomas posted:

Thanks for reminding me that I paid ~$50 to see that poo poo in a theater in an attempt to get laid.

Why did you spend so much money?

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Post 9-11 User posted:

The best film about death is from a director that fell from grace. gently caress that rapist creep forever, gently caress him to a pulp (okay, do not actually do horrible violent sex crimes) do not give him money. A 1,000 year voyage to defy the death of your loved ones and yourself before, at long last, accepting it. gently caress him for tainting his own artwork by preying on others.

What film and who? I'm guessing it's not Allen or Polanski?

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

Egbert Souse posted:

Yeah, I was trying to figure out what awful poo poo Aronofsky or David Lowery did.

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

I ate your Mahler avatar! Hahahaha!

Coffee And Pie posted:

Why did you spend so much money?

Gonna guess two tickets plus drinks and snacks in the theater. Concession prices can be downright silly.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Yeah. I just bought two tickets for that Pokemon movie in November and it cost me $27 total. Movies add up quickly.

But I'm only spending $10 total on two tickets to Citizen Kane, so it balances out.

Carly Gay Dead Son
Aug 27, 2007

Bonus.

Post 9-11 User posted:

Dracula Dead and Loving It definitely rules but where do you get off saying all that messed up poo poo about Mel Brooks??

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

LesterGroans posted:

Yeah, I was trying to figure out what awful poo poo Aronofsky or David Lowery did.

If his posts in the mother! thread are any indication, he is in fact taking about Aronofsky, and as far as I could tell from that thread this accusation is being made based on the fact Aronofsky is now dating Lawrence... and that's about it.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.
Oh. Hmm.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Eh, I might have jumped the gun there. I just saw your mention of Aronofsky, remembered that someone had been accusing him of stuff in the mother! thread with not much to back it up, saw it was post 9/11 user and just jumped to a conclusion. His accusations there aren't as strong as what he's saying now though so he's probably taking about someone else

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
https://twitter.com/fussybabybitch/status/918287387687501824

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Great, they gave the whole game away!!

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Egbert Souse posted:

Werner Herzog Did Nothing Wrong

viral spiral
Sep 19, 2017

by R. Guyovich
The Snowman is getting lovely reviews, apparently.

Goddamnit. :ughh:

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

LesterGroans posted:

That's the one where all the Ninja Turtles jerk off on a pizza, right?
I think you're thinking of Pizza Time.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

viral spiral posted:

Just like that my hype melted awaaaaaaa

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

viral spiral posted:

I mean...yeah? It looked incredibly stupid. It looked like a movie the characters in an episode of Seinfeld would be in line for.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
The Snowman looked terrible and great at the same time. Very my poo poo, but I never expected it to review well.

viral spiral
Sep 19, 2017

by R. Guyovich

glam rock hamhock posted:

I mean...yeah? It looked incredibly stupid. It looked like a movie the characters in an episode of Seinfeld would be in line for.

The trailers made it look competently made.

Carly Gay Dead Son
Aug 27, 2007

Bonus.
Hahaha the main character in The Snowman's name is Harry Hole.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

viral spiral posted:

The trailers made it look competently made.

To me the trailers made it look like they were taking a movie about a guy who murders people and uses them in parts of snowmen to taunt the detective tracking him and trying to be completely serious and scary about it. Stupid was probably the wrong word but man does it look silly and how serious it seems to be taking what seems to be a mix of every serial killer movie cliche ever and the premise of a direct to video 80s slasher movie just makes it all the sillier. Like it looking competently made just makes the movie all the more baffling to me.

Also the main character is named Harry Hole

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Unrelated but gently caress twitter

Shoombo
Jan 1, 2013
As a counterpoint, literally all of that sounds like it would be unbearable if they played it at all tongue in cheek.

Carly Gay Dead Son
Aug 27, 2007

Bonus.
"Detective, the killer's getting away!"
"Harry Hole never lets a a piece of poo poo like that escape so easily."

Carly Gay Dead Son
Aug 27, 2007

Bonus.
Detective Harry Hole, drunk and teary-eyed, stares at a framed picture of his ex-wife.

"Oh, Heidi... where did it all go wrong?"

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
It can be scary to burp and fart at the same time.

Carly Gay Dead Son
Aug 27, 2007

Bonus.
"I'm Detective Harry Hole. And before you even ask, yes, my rear end is very hairy. Especially around the sphincter area. And I'm pretty sure it's a genetic trait so my parents knew what they were doing when they named me. To make a long story short, unlike my butt hair: I know true evil when I see it. I was raised by it and I have carried its shameful mark my whole life, so trust me when I say I will find the man who turned your daughter into a snowman with a real person's head for a head and bring him to justice. Or my name isn't Harry Hole, and my hole isn't hairy."

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Isn't it based on a Swedish book or something? Did they just Anglicize his name and at no point realize it becomes a pun in English?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

I'm patrolman Harry S. Hole. I'm doing my rounds, and I'm a little behind.

Carly Gay Dead Son
Aug 27, 2007

Bonus.

Skwirl posted:

Isn't it based on a Swedish book or something? Did they just Anglicize his name and at no point realize it becomes a pun in English?

The way I understand it, "Hole" is pronounced "Hoo-la" in Norwegian. Not that Detective Harry Hula isn't also loving hysterical.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Budgie Jumping posted:

The way I understand it, "Hole" is pronounced "Hoo-la" in Norwegian. Not that Detective Harry Hula isn't also loving hysterical.

A show starring Detective Harry Hula sounds like procedural on USA.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

I can't even deal with this photo.

https://twitter.com/FluffSociety/status/918129065382612992

Apes-Ma
Aug 9, 2011

Your cage isn't getting any bigger.

Budgie Jumping posted:

Whoo-leh.

The books are silly and stupid, but it really sounds like they played it up to the point of parody since at one point Hole wakes up drunk in the Vigelands park. I still want to watch it because of Tomas Alfredson though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

corn in the bible posted:

Werner Herzog Did Nothing Wrong

But Klaus Kinski on the other hand.....

• Locked thread