Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!
Yeah I gasped out loud at work when I saw the $1319 CAD price on the X. $249 CAD for AppleCare+ plus taxes the cheapest iPhone X is $1756.16 CAD or $1409.83 USD.

That's a lotta money for the second best iPhone of 2017.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.
It still might be bullshit that the Portrait Lighting is only on the 8+ and not 7+ but I did notice that after using it for about 10 minutes straight that the phone started giving me heat warnings so maybe it really does need that extra processing power and it's just a little too much work for A10X.

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

That nearly identical feature was on the s8 and unimpressive to say the least. In real world settings people's hair fucks it all up.

LPG Giant
Feb 20, 2011

Blind Rasputin posted:

That nearly identical feature was on the s8 and unimpressive to say the least. In real world settings people's hair fucks it all up.

Are you for real? You're saying Samsung messed it up so Apple will too?

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

Everything is totally normal with iOS11.

(Not taken in motion)

Hdip
Aug 21, 2002
Your phone had an earthquake and everything fell off the shelves.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

iGravity is an unpublished feature.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Had a lovely day at work today so I did what I usually do—make an expensive impulse purchase. Decided to get a set of AirPods.

They don’t actually sound significantly better than my current Bluetooth headphone but I wasn’t expecting them to. Honestly the biggest draw was that they don’t have a giant flashing blue light that lets me know when they’re connected (seriously WTF LG).

[Edit: ooh, the Apple TV compatibility is nice.]

asecondduck fucked around with this message at 01:08 on Oct 12, 2017

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007

lelandjs posted:

Had a lovely day at work today so I did what I usually do—make an expensive impulse purchase. Decided to get a set of AirPods.

They don’t actually sound significantly better than my current Bluetooth headphone but I wasn’t expecting them to. Honestly the biggest draw was that they don’t have a giant flashing blue light that lets me know when they’re connected (seriously WTF LG).

[Edit: ooh, the Apple TV compatibility is nice.]

Wait until you find out that invoking Siri will wake your watch up in your pocket, then keep it on during the phone call. Submitted feedback. Makes no sense.

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

I just ran for the first time with the AirPods and they are amazing. I never realized before how often I'd have to straighten out the cord to my headphones or how often the cord would yank them out.

I assumed they were water resistant though? I guess I thought since the iPhone 8 was ipv67 rated the AirPods would be too but I guess I was wrong. I usually listen to podcasts with my phone in the shower so I tried the AirPods this time and they blacked out while washing my hair. loving Apple.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Dr. Video Games 0050 posted:

Wait until you find out that invoking Siri will wake your watch up in your pocket, then keep it on during the phone call. Submitted feedback. Makes no sense.

My two-year-old tries to forcibly remove any and all watches I wear, if I do get an Apple Watch it won’t be for a few years.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

I really can’t tell if that’s a real story or not.

Blind Rasputin posted:

I assumed they were water resistant though? I guess I thought since the iPhone 8 was ipv67 rated the AirPods would be too but I guess I was wrong. I usually listen to podcasts with my phone in the shower so I tried the AirPods this time and they blacked out while washing my hair. loving Apple.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Blind Rasputin posted:

I just ran for the first time with the AirPods and they are amazing. I never realized before how often I'd have to straighten out the cord to my headphones or how often the cord would yank them out.

Source your quotes

Nerdrock
Jan 31, 2006

legitimate question : if i'm one of those people who always have earbuds fall out of their goddamn ear, when I'm pretty sure it's NOT because the cable is yanking them out... is the same going to happen with airpods?

edit : though, i suppose my primary use would be for in my motorcycle helmet. they've yet to engineer helmet speakers that aren't trash.

Nerdrock fucked around with this message at 02:10 on Oct 12, 2017

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

[quote="“Nerdrock”" post="“477292762”"]
legitimate question : if i’m one of those people who always have earbuds fall out of their goddamn ear, when I’m pretty sure it’s NOT because the cable is yanking them out... is the same going to happen with airpods?

edit : though, i suppose my primary use would be for in my motorcycle helmet. they’ve yet to engineer helmet speakers that aren’t trash.
[/quote]

I would say no, mine were only falling out when I got soap in my ears.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Nerdrock posted:

legitimate question : if i'm one of those people who always have earbuds fall out of their goddamn ear, when I'm pretty sure it's NOT because the cable is yanking them out... is the same going to happen with airpods?

edit : though, i suppose my primary use would be for in my motorcycle helmet. they've yet to engineer helmet speakers that aren't trash.

First thing I tried was shaking my head around, head banging, and even bending my head down and shoving my ear around with my shoulder. They stayed in place.

And I’ve literally had EarPods fall out of my ear by tilting my head too far to one side. Turns out that wires are way more of a factor when it comes to earbud security than I thought!

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007

lelandjs posted:

My two-year-old tries to forcibly remove any and all watches I wear, if I do get an Apple Watch it won’t be for a few years.

Sorry. I meant to say phone. Your phone will wake up in your pocket while using Siri on AirPods.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Blind Rasputin posted:

try your computre next

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

carry on then posted:

try your computre next

You won't loving believe this, but the Apple Battery Charger for the first gen keyboard and trackpad doesn't work in the pool either.

Those lazy shits.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

to be fair don't most headphones work again just fine once they dry up

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Endless Mike posted:

Except it should only ask when you go to purchase and if it hasn't authenticated in awhile, not randomly.

hasn't authenticated in awhile ~= randomly :confused:

Another case in point; I was trying to add a pass to my "Wallet" and had to sign in.
Now to be fair it sent me to settings app to enter my password, but the point is it will ask you at very random times.

MrBond
Feb 19, 2004

FYI, Cheese NIPS are not the same as Cheez ITS

iajanus posted:

Come on down to Australia and see what an apple mark up really is :v:

Iphone X $1579
If I buy one in a couple of months when I'm in the US (with current conversion rate) $1282

For the big one
Here $1829
There (converted) $1474

And people wonder why we're a nation of pirates when this is sadly the absolute norm.

Is australia one of those countries with VAT and it's built into the price?

USA has state-by-state sales tax (city by city really) and it's added on after the advertised price, so it makes these comparisons harder than they should be.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
I joined the saddle brown master race for this black iPhone 8 after rocking a naked 5S since 2013.

When I told them what I did that weekend, my junior high students gathered immediately to ogle the phone and told me that it was actually just a 7... until I showed them the glass back. Then they told me that my case was terrible and "like, too fancy and old person".

This proves to me that I've made the correct case choice.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

MrBond posted:

Is australia one of those countries with VAT and it's built into the price?

USA has state-by-state sales tax (city by city really) and it's added on after the advertised price, so it makes these comparisons harder than they should be.

It is, but that's nowhere near enough to cover the difference. At the moment, the tax exclusive price of the bigger one would be $1662AUD and change.

e: so still a $200 markup for literally no reason.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

to be fair don't most headphones work again just fine once they dry up

I've washed so many pairs of headphones, yeah, they're usually fine after drying a day or two. Although if there was something inside airpods that didn't bounce back as well, I wouldn't be surprised.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Rick posted:

I've washed so many pairs of headphones, yeah, they're usually fine after drying a day or two. Although if there was something inside airpods that didn't bounce back as well, I wouldn't be surprised.

There's a battery and electricity powered electronics inside

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
Is the blue leather case good looking in person? I'm going with a white face phone. I don't care what this thread thinks, the white face is superior.

rio
Mar 20, 2008

Nerdrock posted:

You could probably get some of those foam covers that used to come on all earphones (why did they stop including these with earbuds?) and keep them from falling out. When I was using EarPods to make phone calls I got some foam covers and it was a huge improvement. They sounded better and actually didn’t fall out - without foam covers they would fall out very easily and sounded like poo poo since they were such a bad fit.

azzenco
Jan 16, 2004

Slippery Tilde
I bought some AirPods cause all you people kept raving about them but also because my awesome SoundPEATS stopped being so awesome. They would make a beeping noise when switching tracks in Amazon Music but were fantastic for $22. However, this new AirPodbhotness doesn't beep :dance:

The best thing about these is that when you're running and turn your head one way you can then turn your head the other way and not have the wire snag on your neck.

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

The AirPods are insanely good. I am on a phone call, I just reach over and grab my AirPods case and put one of them in my ear and it is like instant transition from talking on the phone to talking on the AirPod. Not even a hiccup. It is loving magic.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

If I didn't have my bose Qc35 I'd probably get the air pods.

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang
I want to copy files from my PC to my iPhone but I don't want to use iTunes. I've seen a bunch of software that does this. Is there a generally recommended one?

spongeworthy
Jan 16, 2009

Kjermzs posted:

[quote="spongeworthy" post="477227854"]
I don't know about Windows, but on Mac they are stored in ~/Library/Application Support/MobileSync/Backup

I imagine the folder naming scheme is similar on Windows. Just copy those folders in Backup on to another storage device.

The folder naming scheme is fine. The problems is that my iPhone has the same amount of storage as my SSD so I need to make a link between the primary folder on the SSD and a secondary folder on my HDD. iTunes is loving dumb and won't let you change the location in which it stores the iPhone backup.

Oh sounds like you want to create a "symlink" - I haven't done this on Windows but I'm sure it's fairly easy to find with a search. Probably a right click menu feature.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

azzenco posted:

I bought some AirPods cause all you people kept raving about them but also because my awesome SoundPEATS stopped being so awesome. They would make a beeping noise when switching tracks in Amazon Music but were fantastic for $22. However, this new AirPodbhotness doesn't beep :dance:

The best thing about these is that when you're running and turn your head one way you can then turn your head the other way and not have the wire snag on your neck.

This started recently for me as well on my LG Tones, it's infuriating. Doesn't happen over wired lightning earpods or over BT to my Car head unit.

Since we are on AirPods chat, is it possible to share them with two phones? I have an iPhone for work also and would love to be able to swap to that phone to take calls but keep my personal as primary.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Out of morbid curiosity I checked to see if I could pick up some airpods and I’m actually surprised they still aren’t in stock.

Yeah I know you can get them if you check in store every few days but drat they just can’t stock these fast enough.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Furism posted:

I want to copy files from my PC to my iPhone but I don't want to use iTunes. I've seen a bunch of software that does this. Is there a generally recommended one?

No. Use iTunes to copy over music and video. Use a cloud service to copy over documents. Direct drag-and-drop access to the file system is not the way iPhone has ever worked.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

MarcusSA posted:

Out of morbid curiosity I checked to see if I could pick up some airpods and I’m actually surprised they still aren’t in stock.

Yeah I know you can get them if you check in store every few days but drat they just can’t stock these fast enough.

Are you checking availability using the Apple Store app?

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

TraderStav posted:

Since we are on AirPods chat, is it possible to share them with two phones? I have an iPhone for work also and would love to be able to swap to that phone to take calls but keep my personal as primary.

I have them on two iOS devices... They will automatically connect to the previous one, IIRC, but you can go into Settings -> Bluetooth and tap the entry to manually 'take them over' from the other device. Share them with my Mac, too, again just sometimes have to go into the audio menu bar item and select them as the output.

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang

Pivo posted:

No. Use iTunes to copy over music and video. Use a cloud service to copy over documents. Direct drag-and-drop access to the file system is not the way iPhone has ever worked.

I don't really need to drag & drop from Explorer or something. Going through a software is fine. It'd just hoped that software wouldn't be a huge bloatware that I don't need for any of its features except copying files. I'm also reluctant to install iTunes because last time I tried it, 10 years ago, it decided to re-organize all of my media libraries. I don't want that, because I spent A LOT of time organizing it the way I like it. Does it still do that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Lmao