Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

MA-Horus posted:

for fucks sake that looks so goddamn retarded why are a few sections of hull just spinning

Maybe it is experimental armor plating? If I recall correctly STE had some kind of energised armor plating because shields weren't very good yet. So this experimental science ship could be trying armor plating again. By having the armor spin you make it hard for the enemy to focus fire on a weak spot.

Or maybe they use the spinny bits rubbing against the ship to generate massive amounts of static electricity. For science.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Space Camp fuckup
Aug 2, 2003

The General posted:

But why? Just looks dumb. I do like the barrel roll they do before they go though.

Focus testing has determined that the kids are really into fidget spinners and CBS is hoping to capitalize on this trend

Im Ready for DEATH
Oct 5, 2016

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iPz78YHndKc

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Facebook Aunt posted:

Oh dear, I'm starting to think the spinny bits weren't well thought out at all. I was looking for a gif or something that would show the ship, found this from april:

The saucer is all one peice like every other federation ship. But since it is CGI rather than a physical model, some studio exec probably came along and was all "That's dull, can you ?"

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
I don't know that the cutouts in the saucer are so bad really. It does let you put more windows in that area and saucers tend to be crew quarters, and this is a science ship, so extra surface area isn't that big of a deal when your main defense is shields anyways and you're not specifically designed for combat. Getting around wouldn't be hindered that much either. The hallways (at least in the D) tend to be concentric circles with rooms on either side, and there's probably only so many points on that circle where a hallway would lead to a larger or smaller circular hallway. It's the same case here, except instead of not being able to walk through interior walls, instead you're not able to walk through open space. It certainly doesn't do any favors to the structural integrity of the ship, but since when have star trek ships ever looked that structurally sound on their own anyways? I'm sure they all have tecnobabble integrity field amplifiers or something, and again, rely on shields mostly anyways.

The spinning, even if it's not the whole saucer section like people are implying, is pretty dumb, I have to agree. Sadly, every ship has to have a gimmick, these are the same federation engineers that would later go on to build a ship with two separate hulls, then build a ship with little bendy nacelles because they magically stop warp pollution, then build a ship with THREE separate hulls that can go into battle mode and also house an Andy Dick hologram on the bridge. Truly the most shameful ship.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Frank Gehry: starship designer.

I guess it's hard to make a name for yourself when you live in a post scarcity society full of over-educated geniuses.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

*sees an airplane* Wait, that plus-shaped thing on the front spins around? That is so dumb, who came up with that? And it spins so fast you can't even see it, so what's the point?

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

Powered Descent posted:

*sees an airplane* Wait, that plus-shaped thing on the front spins around? That is so dumb, who came up with that? And it spins so fast you can't even see it, so what's the point?

Why do those stupid little flaps on the wings move up and down at a 45-degree angle? Probably because some idiot producer said the plane had to "change shape" or some poo poo.

insulated staircase
Aug 21, 2014

yea the spinning makes it faster

Buckwheat Sings
Feb 9, 2005
I'm just going to pretend Orville is startrek. Say what you want about MacFarlane, he understands Startrek and what makes it Startrek.

STD is bargain bin Starwars.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Buckwheat Sings posted:

I'm just going to pretend Orville is startrek. Say what you want about MacFarlane, he understands Startrek and what makes it Startrek.

STD is bargain bin Starwars.

What makes The Orville so good is that it knows when it needs to be serious and just lets storytelling happen without forcing a joke in. The cast are all competent in their jobs, they've just got flawed personalities without devolving into being all rear end in a top hat/broody towards eachother like ST:D apparently does.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
that leg gag tho

Buckwheat Sings
Feb 9, 2005
Someone clearly likes Deadpool.

Seriously though, Orville isn't perfect but it hits that sweet spot of fun Scifi adventure.

I don't want to watch distopia future poo poo.

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Buckwheat Sings posted:

I don't want to watch distopia future poo poo.
The suffering of the Bajoran people is a beautiful backdrop on which to paint. Not all future dystopias are created equal.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler
The sarcastic Engineer is starting to grow on me a bit. He's showing a little bit more emotion and humanity, and I can see him quickly being one of the more likeable characters. A likeable rear end in a top hat like Bronn from Game of Thrones. Nobody else other than ensign acne has really made much of an impression so far, but then again it's episode 4.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

shadow puppet of a posted:

The suffering of the Bajoran people is a beautiful backdrop on which to paint. Not all future dystopias are created equal.

DS9 still started out as hopeful. Bajor was post-apocalyptic. The worst had already happened: their population was decimated, their resources were plundered, and their environment was trashed. So things can only get better, and federation good guys are there to help. And look, we just found this incredibly valuable stable wormhole in your backyard. Yay! :peanut:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_IMBUa7w9K4

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Things did not get better. There were famines and inter-d'jarra murders going on all the time, through every season.

The station residents just got better at ignoring it.

BirryJoru
Mar 21, 2012

GRAMAGEDDON ISN'T OVER YET. SORRY.-RA TEHUTI :smuggo::smug::smugdon::grin::parrot:
I want taco-berries

:taco: :member:

BirryJoru
Mar 21, 2012

GRAMAGEDDON ISN'T OVER YET. SORRY.-RA TEHUTI :smuggo::smug::smugdon::grin::parrot:
it's from voyager

I heard they had to make STD stupid in order to avoid paying royalties

NOPE!

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

shadow puppet of a posted:

Things did not get better. There were famines and inter-d'jarra murders going on all the time, through every season.

The station residents just got better at ignoring it.

Bajorans just be cray cray, that's all there is to it. I mean those people were ready to start a god drat civil war because some farmers weren't bringing their tractors back on time.

I can only imagine that the Bajoran caste system was first implemented because some chucklefucks from Kendra province were not kind and did not rewind, it directly led to mass rioting, and the Kai at the time decided those people need to be taught a lesson.

Buckwheat Sings
Feb 9, 2005
To be fair, their Kai is like our equivalent of Trump and she's also cool with attemptive murder, taking credit for others sacrifices, and power over all.

That final episode felt rushed as hell though.

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Maybe Bajor is perfectly fine, its just that an awful lot of people are members of the starving blanket thief d'jarra?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I've said it before a buncha times, but the original setup of The Orville seems like it'd fit perfectly into post-Voyager; the Federation's able to rebuild its fleet easily enough after the Dominion War and incorporate new technology and tactics, but the losses of officers mean they have to scrape the barrel for qualified crews, and has more brushfires than ever to deal with between technological advances, contact from the Gamma and Delta quadrants, and minor powers expanding as the major ones recover.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Inescapable Duck posted:

I've said it before a buncha times, but the original setup of The Orville seems like it'd fit perfectly into post-Voyager; the Federation's able to rebuild its fleet easily enough after the Dominion War and incorporate new technology and tactics, but the losses of officers mean they have to scrape the barrel for qualified crews, and has more brushfires than ever to deal with between technological advances, contact from the Gamma and Delta quadrants, and minor powers expanding as the major ones recover.

On that note, I really love the little detail of the Kermit doll on Mercer's desk. His ideal leader isn't some great politician, it's the poor frog trying to hold together a bunch of weirdos and crazies together coherently through another day.

Indy
Mar 30, 2005

Hey guys, what's up?

Hector Beerlioz posted:

im enjoying discovery and will continue to watch it

Agreed

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

a beautiful, soft meat sack
Clapping Larry

Philthy posted:

that leg gag tho

I don't know if the leg that fell through the ceiling having more leg than what the pilot guy lost was intentional or not but I hope it is.

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

a beautiful, soft meat sack
Clapping Larry
Also I laughed out loud when the robot told him to look for it.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
On the spinning, it's dumb as hell, because the concept of spinning objects in spacecraft would be to generate centrifugal force as a way to simulate gravity. Babylon 5 did it right, Star Trek uses magic to create artificial gravity.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Babylon 5 also used magic for gravity. Minbari ships and white stars had artificial gravity and no spinning sections.

Lord of Pie
Mar 2, 2007

MA-Horus posted:

for fucks sake that looks so goddamn retarded why are a few sections of hull just spinning

gotta sell those novelty pizza cutters somehow

Brofessor Slayton
Jan 1, 2012

Imagine being the Ensign who makes such a bad impression on the Captain that you get assigned quarters on Spin Deck. All your furniture gradually moves towards the wall. Every morning you show up for your shift feeling like you need to throw up. The morale officer blasts the one song by Dead Or Alive that survived the post-atomic horror over the deck's intercom.

You spill one cup of replicated coffee on the Captain and you're Ensign Spin forever.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Al Borland Corp. posted:

Babylon 5 also used magic for gravity. Minbari ships and white stars had artificial gravity and no spinning sections.

White Stars were Minbari ships :smug:

Yeah, you have a point, I was thinking of Earth ships

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)

angerbeet posted:

I mean, you have to let Trek shows hit their stride, Season 1 TNG was, well:

How is that different from what Marvel is doing with Wakanda, teh african civilization that still uses high tech spears and poo poo

There's a movie coming out too:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dxWvtMOGAhw

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Is adapting a black tribal culture automatically racist? I wasn't aware anyone was mad about how marvel was doing it. Star trek has a bad track record but I never heard of any serious anger about black panther

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
No one is angry

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Though it is retarded that they're usng spears and poo poo

that's like if we developed super high tech and still used maces and axes or whatever

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

i think sword fighting looks cooler than gun fighting, so i'm usually glad when sci-fantasy contrives reasons to do it that way.

Nicodemus Dumps
Jan 9, 2006

Just chillin' in the sink

Facebook Aunt posted:

DS9 still started out as hopeful. Bajor was post-apocalyptic. The worst had already happened: their population was decimated, their resources were plundered, and their environment was trashed. So things can only get better, and federation good guys are there to help. And look, we just found this incredibly valuable stable wormhole in your backyard. Yay! :peanut:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_IMBUa7w9K4

Bajorans suffering isn't a future dystopia, that's just Tuesday.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Do I have a franchise for u:

When are we getting a Warhammer 40K tv show??

I want to follow a band of roided out fat old balding men who fight space orks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

the problem with wh40k is that the lore attracts some serious loving creeps and i bet nobody wants to depict the imperium of man, in a good or bad light, because people will inevitably identify with it positively.