Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Fintilgin posted:

I assume the new loot that affects skills and such is mixed through the game too.

I just saw one drop in early Act One.

I'm 15 levels into a dual-gunner Purifier and this is easily the best early leveling experience I've ever had, particularly with guns.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

so far im not a fan of the dual gun purifier, i dont like the feel of the fire shot proc thing for some reason.

Grimoire
Jul 9, 2003
Really want to try out a hipster/ less than obvious build. I'm thinking flamin' zombie Defiler or some poo poo

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Uh, so, steam took my money, downloaded new content, I've got a new program icon and poo poo, but I don't see any of the new classes as options? What gives, do I have to like unlock them in game somehow?

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

fuckin necro summons are pretty good at max level, you can get some bigass skeleton dude that shoots red magic and melees the poo poo outta stuff. i melted the warden

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

I am 100% down with my skellybros

DFlux
Apr 25, 2008

Hauki posted:

Uh, so, steam took my money, downloaded new content, I've got a new program icon and poo poo, but I don't see any of the new classes as options? What gives, do I have to like unlock them in game somehow?

The expansion might not have actually installed, if that's happened quit completely out of steam and restart it, that should fix it.

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?
Both classes are good enough to where I seriously might just level each up to 50, try all the abilities and then select a secondary class based on whichever ones I like the best. It's really hard to imagine just grabbing a second class with only 15 to 20 points in either Necro or Inquisitor and finding out 10-12 hours later that I've made a terrible mistake.

...but man, it's hard to imagine going anything but dual wield with Inquisitor. Melts. Stuff. Dead.

Necro's skellys are remarkably better than expected too. Just a single point does an amazing job of clearing out trash while I sword my way through anything *actually* hard.

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

Dunno how hard it is normally but Inquisitor’s lightning box sure made that “kill the Warden below level 10” achievement easy. Glad I tried it too, I’ve never run through the game that fast before and it was pretty fun.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Yeah, I haven't done anything with Necromancer yet (I don't like pet classes though I'm sure there's other stuff it can do) but Inquisitor seems insanely good.

Sometime I'm gonna build something around that flamethrower skill Inquisitor gets. Still having way too much fun with my gunslinger though.

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

Hauki posted:

Try right clicking on the game, hitting properties, going to the local files tab, and clicking on "verify integrity of game files". That is generally how I start if it seems like a download might have hosed up.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos
Devotions still fill me with choice paralysis. Is there a general guide as to which ones are must-haves or do I really have to just start drilling into it?

For the record I'm looking at an Inquisitor/Demolitionist running Fire Strike/Bursting Round for basic attacks, with the bomb rune (Kalastor?) and one of Blackwater Cocktail, Canister Bomb, or the Inquisitor flamethrower to provide a bit more punch. Demo for Flame Touched/Temper and the Fire Strike line alone might be enough so I can run flamethrowers. I like flamethrowers.

Edit: There's a respec option, right? For skills, but not basic points in a class?

Prism fucked around with this message at 14:58 on Oct 12, 2017

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

Played a couple rounds of Crucible to check out leatherdaddy skeletons and pet nurgle, they're pretty good! Going to fight every instinct to go occultist and try and get 2 cats going.

The expanded inventory is very welcome but the new sorting buttons are hell on muscle memory.

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

holy poo poo did they change? I keep pressing the wrong one to merge all my components and poo poo and i was wondering if I was crazy. i hadnt played in awhile before the expac.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

queeb posted:

holy poo poo did they change? I keep pressing the wrong one to merge all my components and poo poo and i was wondering if I was crazy. i hadnt played in awhile before the expac.

Yeah, they changed the buttons a bit (and enlarged the stashes). I was in a brief panic when I first launched the expansion because I thought my transfer stash was just gone til I figured it out.

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

Prism posted:

Devotions still fill me with choice paralysis. Is there a general guide as to which ones are must-haves or do I really have to just start drilling into it?

Edit: There's a respec option, right? For skills, but not basic points in a class?

If you start west then south you can pretty much see your path through all of the fire devotions to Ulzuin's (?) torch. My screen slows down with constant volcanoes/explosions/meteors.

The spirit guide lets you buy back skills yeah so its better to max out a low skill and buy them back, instead of being weak while you beeline towards a later skill.

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

yeah its cheap as gently caress to respec your points, 25 coins per, so go hog wild leveling with a skill that works until you get some gear you want or whatever. I'm finding leveling an inquisitor with the electric box thing a breeze, ill respec into guns a bit later.

edit: devition points need an arcane crystal though

queeb fucked around with this message at 15:16 on Oct 12, 2017

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

...must attack and fall upon them with a gallant bearing and a fearless heart, and, if possible, vanquish and destroy them, even though they have for armour the shells of a certain fish, that they say are harder than diamonds, and in place of swords wield trenchant blades of Damascus steel...

That electric box is nuts. The tether affects the main target and just machine guns out its lightning damage. The damage number on the skill screen is totally unrepresentative of how much pain that thing dishes out. The boxes don't seem to stack on a single target, but the AoEs from separate boxes does stack.

In spite of the fact that it's batshit strong and a fun skill to play with, I decided not to go for the lightning vindicator I had planned as my first character. The targeting is a little unsatisfying, because it has to be targeted on an enemy, and it's wasted if you target something weak, since it will just die instantly and the spell will fizzle. If anything, the spell is too powerful for its own good.

Instead I'm running a rune knight tactician, using the inquisitor's runes and elemental Cadence. The runes are incredibly flashy, really satisfying to use and are quite strong at both AoE and single target damage. I'm planning to go for something like this http://www.grimtools.com/calc/pZr9m1V6. Should be tanky as hell and deal decent damage, though I imagine a more optimized variant of my lightning/electrocute vindicator would end up better.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Chop Sunni posted:

If you start west then south you can pretty much see your path through all of the fire devotions to Ulzuin's (?) torch. My screen slows down with constant volcanoes/explosions/meteors.

That sounds basically like exactly what I want to do, and...

queeb posted:

yeah its cheap as gently caress to respec your points, 25 coins per, so go hog wild leveling with a skill that works until you get some gear you want or whatever. I'm finding leveling an inquisitor with the electric box thing a breeze, ill respec into guns a bit later.

edit: devition points need an arcane crystal though

...if it's cheap, that makes me sit a little easier. Thanks!

Dreamsicle
Oct 16, 2013

So what's the new best class combo for lightning damage? I ran with a warder last time.

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

seems like vigilant might be really good, inquis/shaman

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos
Oh, one additional question.

Dual-wielding guns with the inquisitor power. Good idea? I don't know the mechanics of dual-wielding.

Edit: well it sure seems to be an increase, but I don't know by how much.

Prism fucked around with this message at 16:15 on Oct 12, 2017

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

...must attack and fall upon them with a gallant bearing and a fearless heart, and, if possible, vanquish and destroy them, even though they have for armour the shells of a certain fish, that they say are harder than diamonds, and in place of swords wield trenchant blades of Damascus steel...

Depending on how storm box scales into the late game, how much you want to be a "pure melee" build and how much you hate thermite mines, either vindicator (shaman/inquisitor) or elementalist (shaman/demolitionist). Elementalist can either go savagery with two handers or fire strike with sword and board or dual wield, and there's now a super late game expansion item that makes fire strike better for lightning damage. I imagine you could do a decent lightning purifier (inquisitor/demolitionist) as well.

What I really want to pull off, but am having a lot of trouble with, is an aether/lightning purifier (or any aether/lightning, melee/caster hybrid, but purifier seems the most natural since it has a built in aether/lightning spell, and fire strike's damage can mostly be converted to aether lightning). But I can't figure out a way to make the combination not seem worse than just going pure lightning.

Dahbadu
Aug 22, 2004

Reddit has helpfully advised me that I look like a "15 year old fortnite boi"
I'll update the OP when I get a chance. I live in Santa Rosa (northern California), and about half my city is on fire right now, with the latest evac zone border about 2 blocks away from my house. My gaming rig has been living in the car since Monday morning, in case we have to evac.

From what I've seen and heard, the new expansion looks good. I can't wait to play it with my Grim Dawn buddies Jabarto, ssmagus, etc.

On a side note, there was some drama a few pages back in the thread between two people that have a history of making good and helpful posts here. Let's try to avoid that and be welcoming to everyone. This is a great game and I'd like to see more people posting here. Attacking "our own" and driving them out of this thread is silly.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
Just clicked an Ornate Chest and had 3 Hero monsters spawn directly on top of me.
Thanks, Crate.

Dahbadu
Aug 22, 2004

Oh hay, with the release of the new expansion, I'd say it's about time to change the thread title and icon. Suggestions?

I'll gift the winner the expansion, which they can give to a buddy or whatever.

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

Grim Dawn: new expansion, a malmouth amount of fun

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!
Is word of pain good for the inquisitor? Seemed really underwhelming to me, but I guess I'm spoiled by being able to dump a couple levels into flash freeze at the start of the game and instantly wipe out the entire screen of trash mobs. :lol:

Also I was struggling to figure out how to place runes well. Lots of times they'd seem wasted.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost

Dahbadu posted:

Oh hay, with the release of the new expansion, I'd say it's about time to change the thread title and icon. Suggestions?

I'll gift the winner the expansion, which they can give to a buddy or whatever.

Grim Dawn: Out of the Malmouth of Babes

Cerepol
Dec 2, 2011

Grim Dawn: Ashes to Ashes; Malmouth to Malmouth

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Grim Dawn: What Inquisitive Necromancers Want to Know

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
Grim Dawn: Now with carnivorous plants

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
Grim Dawn: Ashes, Ashes, All Fall Down

epic Kingdom Hearts LP
Feb 17, 2006

What a shame
Necro Bros check in. I went Cabalist and maxed the entire skeleton line. My character at 32 is basically a D2 curse Necro. Everything gets steamrolled by my pets and I don’t even have good gear yet. I built this to farm for gear for my melee character. I want sword/board and flashy. I guess Soldier/Inquisitor?

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

Grim Dawn: Going Ash To Malmouth

Diogenes of Sinope
Jul 10, 2008

watho posted:

:yeah:

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?

watho posted:

Oh man. Stop the fight. It's over.

Dahbadu
Aug 22, 2004

Memnaelar posted:

Oh man. Stop the fight. It's over.

Yeah, I think we have a winner.

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

watho posted:

It's so insanely this one

e: also, for anyone who hasn't tried it yet---Ravenous Earth is fuckin insanely good. It scales up to 6-8 fragments (arcing blasts out of a central aoe), each of which does vitality damage as it travels + a poison dot upon landing.

Note that travel begins when it emerges from the central aoe, so if you drop it on something what ain't moving much to begin with, it is...not going to be moving at all, after all that damage drops on it, and procs your Devotions etc.

Chernobyl Peace Prize fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Oct 12, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dahbadu
Aug 22, 2004

watho posted:

Hey brah, what's your Steam name? I'll gift you a copy of the game or something. I can also, alternatively, upgrade your SA account. You pick!