Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

IronicDongz posted:

that's why they suck. it's a trivial waste of time while the rest of the level is a fun challenge

I've never fallen off the edge in amana before and it always makes me wonder if people have their monitor brightness set too low. that's the problem one of my friends had.

Trivial waste of time is a pretty apt description of Shrine of Amana as a whole.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Missing Link
Aug 13, 2008

Should do fine against cats.
I think what made me mad the most was the casters started shooting when I was attacking the nearest one and that chaining until I had to kill 6 guys over a large area in a row.

Just on the other side of challenging to just be annoying.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Shrine of Amana owns and SOTFS making it harder owns even more

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME
Just use a ranged weapon jesus christ.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

Control Volume posted:

Shrine of Amana owns and SOTFS making it harder owns even more

The thing is that Shrine isn't at all hard. It's just "oh boy I get to spend the next 20 minutes or however long the level is shooting all the enemies with a bow wake me when it's over."

One Hundred Monkeys
Aug 7, 2010
big time Shrine of Anime fan here

Gobblecoque posted:

The thing is that Shrine isn't at all hard. It's just "oh boy I get to spend the next 20 minutes or however long the level is shooting all the enemies with a bow wake me when it's over."

The great majority of dark souls levels can be cheesed if you have enough arrows and the patience to use them, tho, including some of the best ones like Oolacile and Brume Tower. It's not like it's impossible to fight your way across the shrine with a melee weapon.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
Amana does not require a bow, it requires you to utilize terrain instead of charging into poo poo head-on.

There was that second lovely fog wall but that's one of the things that I can count on one hand which SotFS actually fixed.

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

smdh if you use a bow for anything but challenge runs.

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
THE ONLY EXERCISE I AM UNFAMILIAR WITH IS EXERCISING MY ABILITY TO MAKE A POST PEOPLE WANT TO READ

The Kingfish posted:

smdh if you use a bow for anything but challenge runs.

lol if you think there's a "right" way to play any of the souls game you insufferable hipster

Cheesing with bows is a tradition since DeS you loser

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!
yikes

a bit touchy about your bow usage there buddy?

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
bows are boring

shrine of amana is fun minus the mushroom room and the fairly lame boss

sotfs iron keep is fine

hail gay satan

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

KingSlime posted:

yikes

a bit touchy about your bow usage there buddy?

I don't think he was entirely serious. The only bad posters here are ones who like Shrine of Amana.

Contra Duck
Nov 4, 2004

#1 DAD
Bring back the original shrine of Amana where casters have infinite aggro range and you get bombarded from beyond your draw distance the entire way (no please dont)

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

IronicDongz posted:

bows are boring

shrine of amana is fun minus the mushroom room and the fairly lame boss

sotfs iron keep is fine

hail gay satan

softs iron keep sucks because original iron keep was way better

Captainicus
Feb 22, 2013

Original iron keep was way worse because it contained the dull ember, which was a silly decision to put infusions in a specific place in a 'fight the great souls in any order-ish' setup. :colbert:

Honestly, I like sotfs way too much to ever go back to the original, so I can't really remember a thing about it outside a couple of odd item details like that.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Jesus Christ how can there be so many people dying here??

Telum
Apr 17, 2013

I am protector of the innocent! I am the light in the darkness! I am truth! Ally to good! Nightmare to you!

Note the katanas.

MeccaPrime
May 11, 2010

Gotta love the Majula Welcoming Party.

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
THE ONLY EXERCISE I AM UNFAMILIAR WITH IS EXERCISING MY ABILITY TO MAKE A POST PEOPLE WANT TO READ
Finally beat every boss in SOTFS after 95 hours of total playtime
It made me re-examine my compulsion to play games past the point of enjoyment

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Now 100% it! Only really requires NG+2 up to Drangleic Castle. Not that ive done that.

Twice. :negative:

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
SotFS changed a lot of poo poo other than the graphics and storyline stuff right? Is there a detailed list somewhere of every change?

Also, how active is the multiplayer? I'd imagine it's pretty dead, but can you still get some pvp at the bridge or co op in some areas?

tweet my meat fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Oct 19, 2017

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

tweet my meat posted:

SotFS changed a lot of poo poo other than the graphics and storyline stuff right? Is there a detailed list somewhere of every change?

Also, how active is the multiplayer? I'd imagine it's pretty dead, but can you still get some pvp at the bridge or co op in some areas?

SotFS changed drat near every encounter and shuffled most of the loot around.

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

tweet my meat posted:

I've played for about 15hours on PC, and so far:

- 1 invasion in Heide's Tower of flame by some guy using end game equipment
- 2 invasions in Belfy Luna
- 2 invasions in Belfy Sol
- 1 invasion in Grave of Saints
- 1 invasion in Pharros Whatever it's Called

So, it seems okay? I haven't actually tried coop, though, and I haven't tried to initiate PvP myself, these all just hnappened while I was playing.

Gerblyn fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Oct 19, 2017

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009
honestly thats more invasions than what i got back when the game got released. though i guess thats because theres less hosts to pick from and the invaders count hasnt changed much.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos

dis astranagant posted:

SotFS changed drat near every encounter and shuffled most of the loot around.

drat that's awesome. It's been a year or two since I've played, so it should be an almost entirely new experience. Do people generally like or dislike the changes?

Nonexistence
Jan 6, 2014
Lot of really important pacing changes, the dull ember is available much earlier such that you have an infinite large shard vendor and infusions right after getting to lost bastille

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

tweet my meat posted:

drat that's awesome. It's been a year or two since I've played, so it should be an almost entirely new experience. Do people generally like or dislike the changes?

Mixed bag. Some stuff like the No Man's Wharf shortcut or the Ember being moved is really neat, a decent number of areas have minor but interesting changes, the Forlorn are neat enough as a random element but not exactly thrilling, some stuff like the Iron Keep shitstorm or more statues everywhere or being able to skip all of Dragon Aerie is just odd, the DLC keys being hidden throughout the game is quite annoying.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

It's very weird. Almost everything it does is very sideways. They didn't fix basically a single issue with the gameplay like any of the hitboxes or the unfinished side areas of the DLCs. They added enemies that make no sense for the area, like some desert pyromancers, heide knights, and an entire chariot horse just kind of chilling in one set of rooms in drangleic castle. There's more branches of yore and a whole lot more random statues blocking various things, for reasons unclear. There are way more NPC invaders and some areas got more annoying while others got less.

Basically if you don't like dark souls 2 it won't change your mind, but if you do then it will make the game fresh again in a confusing, romhacky sort of way.

Captainicus
Feb 22, 2013

Personally I love it and think that it makes a lot of interesting or fitting changes, but I'm in the minority that thinks of it as 100% positive. I'm tolerant of the silly stuff, I couldn't care less about slightly more petrified mans, or dragon aerie being technically optional but full of goodies. I'm sure the DLC keys being moved to in world locations is annoying if you are looking to get specific items early on from the dlc.

There's some enemy changes I like a lot from a worldbuilding perspective, like heide knights in tower of heide, enemies in the shaded woods, no flexile sentry there but instead in the cells in sinner's rise, hollow soldiers in the forest hacking away at the tree giants, syan knights on the king's doors, and I'm sure there is a bunch more, but it has been so long since I've played the original version that I couldn't make a list or anything, that is just the feeling I had when I played it the first time.

Obviously take what I say with a grain of salt because I'm very biased in favour of it, but like digirat said, if you don't like the game it won't help, if you like the game it will be a bit confusing as you learn where all the enemies and items have been changed.

Plus it does a great thing in dragon shrine that I love to death.

EDIT: I'm pretty sure it increased the number of enemies in a number of areas, so if you dislike fighting crows or multiple enemies, that could very much get on your nerves.

Captainicus fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Oct 20, 2017

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
I saw the dragon shrine honor duels and heide having actual heide knights and a dragon from videos back when sotfs was just coming out. That poo poo looks incredibly cool and I can't wait to play it.

Moving the ember is a loving magnificent choice.

meanolmrcloud
Apr 5, 2004

rock out with your stock out

Just downloaded SotFS after playing through DS 1 for the first time. I've never done a magic based build, but from what I've read, this isn't exactly the game to do it in. Can anyone give any pointers?

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

meanolmrcloud posted:

Just downloaded SotFS after playing through DS 1 for the first time. I've never done a magic based build, but from what I've read, this isn't exactly the game to do it in. Can anyone give any pointers?

Roll a sorcerer or cleric (cleric is a slightly more melee focused start, sorcerer gets a slight head start on the magic stats, doesn't make a big difference which you pick). Go to Heide, kill Dragonrider, talk to Licia, warp back to Majula, level up such that you have at least 10 faith and 12 intelligence. Your short term build goal is to get 20 of each. Early game levels are cheap af in DS2 so this should not be hard. Talk to Licia again (she's moved closer to Majula, on the path to Heide), get her to move the path for you, walk up the path, talk to Felkin, buy dark orb from Felkin. Attune dark orb. Spam dark orb. You are now a hexer.

Once you get 20 in intelligence and faith talk to Felkin again, he will give you his goofy staff which is good for hexes. Don't forget to upgrade it and infuse it with dark (Macduff in the Bastille will do this once you bring him an ember). Level INT and FTH as hard as you please and any other stats you might want. Now you can cruise through most of the game just spamming dark orb, but that's pretty dull. The appeal of being a hexer is that you have the stats to use every sort of magic so you're pretty versatile at need. Miracles are a bit useless for PvE though there's still a couple good ones, but higher tier sorcery is quite decent and pyromancy is very strong.

You're never going to be as strong as a caster as you can be in DS1, but it's a fun enough way to play and works pretty well.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Casters were a lot stronger when the game first came out but drat near every patch nerfed them and then the dlc came out.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

dis astranagant posted:

Casters were a lot stronger when the game first came out but drat near every patch nerfed them and then the dlc came out.

Miracles specifically used to be really good. Stronger than hexes. You could lightning spear your way through the whole game basically. I don't recall there being so very much patching with the other spell types.

Nonexistence
Jan 6, 2014
Either roll hexes as mentioned above, which is great and kind of unique to 2 as dark sorceries are more late game and limited in 1 and 3, or if you go pure sorcery you can use bonfire ascetics to get unlimited copies of soul spear in huntsman's copse and laugh as you burn the world down with base stats except for soft capped int and a bajillion attunement.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

skasion posted:

Miracles specifically used to be really good. Stronger than hexes. You could lightning spear your way through the whole game basically. I don't recall there being so very much patching with the other spell types.

The same patch that nerfed them nerfed soul spear, the resonant hexes and a bunch of other random poo poo.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
One thing I wanna know is if they changed the location of the knight set in sotfs. I usually try to rush that set since I'm a boring nerd who likes to play a strict sword and twin dragon greatboard knight type of character.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

They utterly hosed over miracles and certain pvp-destroying hexes were also nerfed, but in general pyromancy sorcery and hexes are still fine until you get to the DLC where the balance and resistances say gently caress you if your build is about anything other than rolling through things with iframes and whacking things with a physical weapon. You can still win with primarily magic damage but it will be twice as much work, and for a lot of it you can't main a shield at all. It is easy enough to respec at that point if you want though, so don't let the DLC's dumb balance influence whether or not you use magic--just be aware that it's probably the reason you read dark souls 2 is not the best place to try magic.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Digirat posted:

They utterly hosed over miracles and certain pvp-destroying hexes were also nerfed, but in general pyromancy sorcery and hexes are still fine until you get to the DLC where the balance and resistances say gently caress you if your build is about anything other than rolling through things with iframes and whacking things with a physical weapon. You can still win with primarily magic damage but it will be twice as much work, and for a lot of it you can't main a shield at all. It is easy enough to respec at that point if you want though, so don't let the DLC's dumb balance influence whether or not you use magic--just be aware that it's probably the reason you read dark souls 2 is not the best place to try magic.

It's still better than trying to be a caster in 3.

For a while in DS2, faith casters were the best PvE build by a long shot. If there was a boss fight with multiple summons, chances were all of them would be circling the edge of the arena throwing lightning bolts like they were recreating Gwyn's army from the DkS into movie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Idk if magic gets ruined in the dark souls 3 dlc like in 2 as I haven't played it, but no, sorcery is great in the base game. Some parts are harder and some are easier than with a normal build, which is exactly how it should be. Destroying champion gundam in less than 30 seconds with sorcery is amazing.