Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe
Started up a new game and found a neighbor a few systems away in a corner so I wrapped him up in colonies and outposts; he managed to expand enough to sneak out a colony ship and colonize a gaia planet I was aiming for. No problem, I declare war with a demand to cleanse that world, crush his face in, he concedes and cleanses the planet, then recolonizes it again before I can get a colony ship there and defensive pacts with a more powerful society. :argh: You bastard!

Think I'll try projectiles next time, missiles as a primary got a lot harder since he had point defense destroyers to boot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

McGiggins posted:

Mega-Warforms make me go :awesomelon:

I love my proactive caretaker Mecha Godzillas

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

Splicer posted:

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Games > Stellaris: Ah well, at least millions died.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Is there any way to get vassals from liberation now, or just cozy up to them and hope they ask for it once the timer cools down? It's annoying to have to wait, but I understand wanting to make it so liberate isn't just free vassals.

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

Baronjutter posted:

Is there any way to get vassals from liberation now, or just cozy up to them and hope they ask for it once the timer cools down? It's annoying to have to wait, but I understand wanting to make it so liberate isn't just free vassals.

Liberate then declare war. I have never had a liberated empire accept vassalization. That -1000 seems to last forever. :sigh:

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

3 DONG HORSE posted:

Liberate then declare war. I have never had a liberated empire accept vassalization. That -1000 seems to last forever. :sigh:

Do you get threat from doing this?

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

McGiggins posted:

Thanks for the responses, unfortunately there were no empty slots on the planet I could build a robot pop on, and I was unable to prevent or delay the purging of an organic pop to allow me to build a robot in a newly freed slot once the rest had finished purging.

Ah well, at least millions died.

The trick is to resettle one of the victims to one of your other planets, and resettle one of your robot-pops back at the same time. That's what I did when I got two planets ceded to me in my first machine empire run.

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Our glorious political masters have, in their wisdom, decided to form an alliance with a rag-tag bunch of freedom fighters right when the Federation has us at a tactical disadvantage. Unsurprisingly, this has resulted in the Feds firing on our vessels...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer

Fintilgin posted:

Kinda feel like maybe it should clear at least 2-3 open slots when you conquer, much like servitors taking an organic planet frees a bunch of slot. Some combo of refugees/casualties from the invasion, but you should really always be able to migrate a core pop or build a 'claim robot' on any new conquest.

From the last page, but you can set a 'Displacement' policy that will do exactly this.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Baronjutter posted:

As I was finishing building all the buildings on my 2nd ring world it left me thinking that maybe tile management would be less of a chore if everything was scaled down. Have planets all in the 6-12 range with the game balanced around that. Which would also make ringworlds at 24 huge and amazing and special and actually feel big, rather than 20+ being the standard for worth colonizing.

Bold Robot posted:

Roughy speaking, the way I do it is:

Very early game: Go by tile resources
Early-mid game: Start setting up specialized planets when I can find well-suited planets (i.e. large, preferably with either lots of natural resources or a planet modifier), but otherwise follow tile resources
Mid-late game: Almost everything specialized; convert old mixed-use worlds to specialized
I've been thinking about this, and I think one of the micro problems is that the game's mechanical focus doesn't scale. At the beginning carefully deciding which pop and which building to put on which tile is fun because you've only got a couple of dozen tiles to work with. You've only a few levers and their impact is big.
As the game goes on the number of tiles and the number of decisions per tile go up dramatically, while the impact of any one tile goes down. There's a point in the game where you should scale your attention up from tiles to planets but not only does the game not support this transition, it actively works against it by unlocking entirely new per-tile optimization levers. Sectors are obviously the intended solution to scaling but the AI can't handle all the levers being thrown at it either.

Rather than adding new levers a game with this scale increase should have triggers that abstract existing levers into larger composite levers. After a certain point in a play through the +10% to a resource traits should be replaced by a single +XX% to whatever a pop is doing trait because they gene themselves up in the morning like we drink coffee. Or a planetary economics unlock that hides the pops entirely and gives planet-scale bonuses based on their proportions. Or both, with whichever you get first being dictated by your playstyle.

Splicer fucked around with this message at 08:06 on Oct 12, 2017

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

You also want to make sure that your core worlds aren't set to citizen/citzen & slave only, and if they are to put the new planets in a sector right away.

Also I want to plug the Autobuild mod, which is amazing and wonderful and upgrades things for me. If only it did starships I would have so much less busywork to do.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT
I really wish I could allow citizen pops to migrate under a caste system. :|

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

hobbesmaster posted:

Do you get threat from doing this?

Yup but I play on hard so threat is kind of meaningless. I need to have a huge fleet at all times to even have a chance so my neighbors hating me a little more doesn't change much.

e: I did puss out and drop crisis strength to 0.75 though. because holy poo poo the Zerg rolled everyone last time. My massive megastructure empire complex, both AEs, the chill slavers, the rear end in a top hat democrat federation, the Contigency, and the Un-loving-bidden.

I will have nightmares about that game forever

e: I did learn that those aliens who come to help as "experts" if the scourge gets out of hand are really really bad at their jobs.

3 DONG HORSE fucked around with this message at 08:39 on Oct 12, 2017

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
My biotrophies aren't breeding. Yes, I have things set properly. The only potential cause I can see is the Stellar Culture Shock modifier, which doesn't say it prevents breeding, and in the case of the pops that need it most has 13,000 days left on it because they were Neolithic when the Worlds of Refreshment came knocking on their door.

...And now I'm picturing a Neolithic servitor hunting preserve set up like Shay's spaceship from Broken Age. These stone age tribesmen are given squeaky foam spears and set loose to hunt bright pastel creatures that scream in mock panic as they are chased down for their red licorice innards.

Also, my best combat robot somehow lost an honor duel to these tribes. My robots are embarrassed for ten years, which I can't help but think involves sticking anime blush stickers on their face-analogues. :nyoron:

misguided rage
Jun 15, 2010

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

Dareon posted:

My biotrophies aren't breeding. Yes, I have things set properly. The only potential cause I can see is the Stellar Culture Shock modifier, which doesn't say it prevents breeding, and in the case of the pops that need it most has 13,000 days left on it because they were Neolithic when the Worlds of Refreshment came knocking on their door.
Biotrophies start with population controls set now. Kinda handy, because it was annoying having to race to get out robots before your entire home world got covered in unity bubbles, but it threw me off too until I figured it out.

You can change it to allow breeding on the species page under 'set rights'.

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

Dareon posted:

...And now I'm picturing a Neolithic servitor hunting preserve set up like Shay's spaceship from Broken Age. These stone age tribesmen are given squeaky foam spears and set loose to hunt bright pastel creatures that scream in mock panic as they are chased down for their red licorice innards.

Also, my best combat robot somehow lost an honor duel to these tribes. My robots are embarrassed for ten years, which I can't help but think involves sticking anime blush stickers on their face-analogues. :nyoron:

Stellar culture shock does seem to prevent pop growth. My bio-trophies started spreading as soon as that expired.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

Anticheese posted:

Stellar culture shock does seem to prevent pop growth. My bio-trophies started spreading as soon as that expired.
Yep. Culture shock and land appropriation both block growth.

HiKaizer
Feb 2, 2012

Yes!
I finally understand everything there is to know about axes!
Now this is potentially very interesting given previous discussions on borders and system control:

LogisticEarth
Mar 28, 2004

Someone once told me, "Time is a flat circle".

HiKaizer posted:

Now this is potentially very interesting given previous discussions on borders and system control:

Yes! Seems like the system claiming change up that has been talked about may be coming down the pike. This could also help to beef out diplomacy and such, if borders are a bit more complicated than "big blob that radiates out automatically".

kaffo
Jun 20, 2017

If it's broken, it's probably my fault

HiKaizer posted:

I love it, take my money

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Xae posted:

Is there a mod that force all specials like Leviathans, Nomads, Ruined Megas, etc to spawn?

Something like this?
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=707297106

BurntCornMuffin
Jan 9, 2009

HiKaizer posted:

I also appreciate that the splotch of color has a discernable border instead of just ending. Might make it easier if a neighbor picks the same color.

Is the border trim color determined by secondary color, or is it just a different shade of the primary?

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

HiKaizer posted:

This looks neat!

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Our glorious political masters have, in their wisdom, decided to form an alliance with a rag-tag bunch of freedom fighters right when the Federation has us at a tactical disadvantage. Unsurprisingly, this has resulted in the Feds firing on our vessels...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer
Looks good. I imagine they'll have to change the map generation system so it no longer throws up stars right next to each other, but that's hardly a drawback.

Might make for some ugly borders though.

kaffo
Jun 20, 2017

If it's broken, it's probably my fault
Makes me wonder how it works under the hood
Is it still doing pure distance based bubble from the planet and just rendering a much nicer border line, or is it now doing something smarter?
Thing is, as poo poo as the distance based bubble was, it's intutive enough to guess/predict how to get a system by placing that frountier station or getting that +25% range modifer
If this is more complicated, I hope we at least get an idea of how it works so we can still (somewhat) predictably grab systems we want

edit: WTB ghost that shows borders before I commit to a thing. Like border range of placing a frountier station

kaffo fucked around with this message at 13:38 on Oct 12, 2017

Conskill
May 7, 2007

I got an 'F' in Geometry.

Aethernet posted:

Looks good. I imagine they'll have to change the map generation system so it no longer throws up stars right next to each other, but that's hardly a drawback.

There's an answer to the constant critique of mid-game tedium; provoke the player to go on wars against the border gore.

Blooming Brilliant
Jul 12, 2010

Aethernet posted:

Finally, it's a true Paradox game :v:

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.
I like the solid borders-lighter infill look. I guess it could look weird if you had stars really close to each other but maybe they'll thin out the line a bit. At least now when the game decides to spawn 3 countries with the exact same shade of blue, brown or green you'll be able to tell them apart.

Also, I'm sure it's unintentional but it almost looks like the country is going:

Stellaris: Aw Snap, Son!

Soup du Jour
Sep 8, 2011

I always knew I'd die with a headache.

More teasers!

https://twitter.com/martin_anward/status/918476755861688320

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.
So is the border your secondary colour while the fill is your primary? That could look a little strange if you're using black or white for either of them...

Edit: oh, also you'll notice that the civilian ships have icons next to them now so you can tell your science vessels and construction ships apart.

Psychotic Weasel fucked around with this message at 15:31 on Oct 12, 2017

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

So the big FTL and border remake is going to be next patch?
Yes plz

LogisticEarth
Mar 28, 2004

Someone once told me, "Time is a flat circle".

Psychotic Weasel posted:

So is the border your secondary colour while the fill is your primary? That could look a little strange if you're using black or white for either of them...

Agreed. I'd think it'd work better as the primary color with different opacity or saturation, rather than potentially garish combos from primary/secondary.

EDIT: case in point, this color combo on the map looks like poo poo:

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Finally separate icons for construction/science boats? POTY right there

LogisticEarth posted:

Actually it's super good.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.
Looks to me that border extension is much smaller than it's been.

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.
You'll also notice 'Bernard's Star' appears to be radiating a border despite not being colonized or using an outpost (at least, there is no icon indicating it). Maybe just a graphical illusion based on the way the the screen shot was taken or could be another mechanical change.

The previous screenshot also showed the borders following all the neighbouring star closely but with all the details turned off it's hard to tell what's going on.

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib
Wasn't the plan the last time this came up to have planets/frontier outposts only give you the system they're in? And obviously make frontier outposts a lot cheaper. Seems to fit the screenshots, assuming that frontier outposts would no longer be shown on the galaxy map (at least out of details mapmode).

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Wow just last night before bed I was thinking it would be so nice to have a more civ v style system where youd use influence to buy adjacent (taking into account hyperlanes) system claims with the cost growing based on distance. Would be specially nice if we could diplomatically trade claims or sell them too

Speaking of borders I set up a fortress system on a choke point. On that system were some pre space guys I enlightened. I still own a populated planet in the system but can't build any orbitals there as it says it's not my territory. Also the border range shrunk drastically once the primitives took over.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

LogisticEarth posted:

:sweden:

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Something I noticed in that screenshot is that hyperlanes are visible even though there's clearly a wormhole station in Alpha Centauri (and it seems too early to have researched hyperlane mapping). And I assume that icon by Sol indicates a level 2 spaceport?

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer
It's not yet clear, but it's difficult to see how border range like that shown above would extend between galactic arms, making large sector difficult to produce. Of course, if this is part of a move to hyperlane-only, that problem could be resolved.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

This looks very exciting, incautiously optimistic.

• Locked thread