Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Did you Japan?
Hai sempai
No
Unknown
Goku
View Results

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Location requests that are clustered in one region are more likely to be taken seriously. And if life in snow without a car sounds bad, don't put anything North of Nagoya.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
What guidebooks would you recommend for planning a trip to Japan??

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
this thread?

go to kansai, spend 2 weeks there. if you're a turbo nerd, go to tokyo instead.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Fauxbot posted:

Any reason for Fukuoka? Not a city I've read much about comparatively.

Fukuoka is supposed to be very foody and chill. I did not know about the region clustering being important though, if that's the case and I were doing it again I'd pick Osaka, Kobe, and another Kansai location. Kyoto or Nara if you want to be brave, something like Sakai for more likely.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
yokkaichi

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

I mean basically they don't gaf unless you have family in a certain prefecture but I'm pretty sure they'll start sorting with West Japan and East Japan piles.

Fauxbot
Jan 20, 2009

I need more wine.

peanut posted:

Location requests that are clustered in one region are more likely to be taken seriously. And if life in snow without a car sounds bad, don't put anything North of Nagoya.

I didn't know that, it's an interesting thought. Did you here that from somewhere or is it published somewhere?

Grand Fromage posted:

Fukuoka is supposed to be very foody and chill. I did not know about the region clustering being important though, if that's the case and I were doing it again I'd pick Osaka, Kobe, and another Kansai location. Kyoto or Nara if you want to be brave, something like Sakai for more likely.

That sounds good I love foody poo poo lol. I'll have a bit of think on that one.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

Phone posted:

this thread?

go to kansai, spend 2 weeks there. if you're a turbo nerd, go to tokyo instead.

yeah but what about more specific information? I'm talking about good restaurant recommendations and accurate up to date information like transportation links to possibly out of the way places and the like

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
A printed book will definitely have all of that.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

fridge corn posted:

yeah but what about more specific information? I'm talking about good restaurant recommendations and accurate up to date information like transportation links to possibly out of the way places and the like

Wikitravel is a good starting place.

Gabriel Grub
Dec 18, 2004
I requested Okayama and got it. Putting Tokyo, Osaka, or Kyoto is pretty much the same as leaving the request section blank.

If you actually research somewhere rural you would like to be placed and request it there is a good chance it will be taken seriously. The vast majority of JET placements are rural, so prepare yourself for that and make some realistic requests if there is somewhere outside the big cities you might actually want to live.

The people at the consulate definitely don't pay attention to your requests because they don't do placements, just organize the interviews. Your board of education picks you from the pool of people who got good enough scores from the interviews. Anything in the application, including your placement requests, are fair game though. So lesser known rural town, probably good. (That's interesting, tell us why you are interested in this place.) Tokyo, probably get a skeptical response. (Everyone asks for Tokyo. Will you decline an offer in the likely event you are not place there?)

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

Grand Fromage posted:

Wikitravel is a good starting place.

not much help if you're already on the ground and without an Internet connection?

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

As a New Englander, I'd totally move to Hokkaido. I'm not afraid of a little snow!

[quote="“.Z.”" post="“477296514”"]
For the cooking classes, no Japanese needed. There are classes taught by English speakers.

Two I’ve done and I liked were:
http://www.tsukiji-market.jp/tsukiji-sushi-insider-workshop/
This one is more food tour and a small amount of sushi processing.

https://www.asakusa-tokyokitchen.com/
For more cooking with a nice selection of standard Japanese fare.

Beyond that, it really depends on where your interests lie.
[/quote]

Yesssss oh man this is great. I'm just looking for a basic introduction and some home cooked meals I can make even in the States, so nothing big. I'll check these out and do more research!

Pollyanna fucked around with this message at 15:12 on Oct 12, 2017

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

fridge corn posted:

not much help if you're already on the ground and without an Internet connection?

I mean, I don't have advice for time traveling to 1990. I plan before I go and get on the webernets to find more info when I'm there.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

fridge corn posted:

Internet is cheap and easy to get in this age.

Don't do this to yourself.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
Man, if you like food go to Tokyo. Last I heard the only real draws in Fukuoka were a high female to male ratio and being the drunk driving capital of Japan. If anyone can correct me please do?

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
If you want serious food requests ask stringent, me, and some super food nerd goons.

Honest talk though, most of the good food is centered in Tokyo. Unless you like udon.

It's just that the rural areas tend to serve mountain food which is mostly yams, noodles, rice or whatnot. Good Seafood is hard to get unless you know specifically where to go. Even the sea side towns just serve average (albeit cheap) seafood compared to the stuff in Tokyo.

I just haven't been too impressed with the food in japan besides Tokyo and even eating out Japanese can get tiring because good luck finding some vegetables that's not pickled.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

Grand Fromage posted:

I mean, I don't have advice for time traveling to 1990. I plan before I go and get on the webernets to find more info when I'm there.

What if I had no plan other than starting in Tokyo ams heading north, no real destination in mind. An open ended trip and just see where it takes me. I figured a guidebook would be at least a handy resource although maybe not completely necessary. Obviously I'll just pick up a lonely planet or rough guides, I was just wondering if there was a particular preference to one or the other or possibly a different publication. I was not expecting this to be such a prickly question

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

Stringent posted:

Man, if you like food go to Tokyo. Last I heard the only real draws in Fukuoka were a high female to male ratio and being the drunk driving capital of Japan. If anyone can correct me please do?

People in Fukuoka are super chill and yeah more females there. And it's also demographically one of the younger and vibrant chill out cities in japan. Also favorable to immigration compared to the rest of the country. Given that it's closer to Seoul and Shanghai than Tokyo. Oh and SoftBank and tech companies have head quarters there

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

fridge corn posted:

What if I had no plan other than starting in Tokyo ams heading north, no real destination in mind. An open ended trip and just see where it takes me. I figured a guidebook would be at least a handy resource although maybe not completely necessary. Obviously I'll just pick up a lonely planet or rough guides, I was just wondering if there was a particular preference to one or the other or possibly a different publication. I was not expecting this to be such a prickly question

That actually sounds like an amazing idea and I think you should do it. It will teach you not to do it again.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Wandering aimlessly is fun but I'd still spend the $3 a day on a mobile wifi. Going without maps or translation sounds like a real pain in the rear end.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

fridge corn posted:

It's not prickly just awfully generic and asked around. Like all the loving time. If you actually had an itinerary then post that and maybe we can help?

Someone posted a crazy busy 8 day 6 city trip and the feedback there was a lot more useful than what you are talking about.

Your travel plans are just boring, you haven't even booked a ticket yet.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Some newbie goon wandered around the middle of bumfuck china but even he had internet and some interest in Chinese history. It was a 2 month trip but props to him making it and winging it. And he never traveled before and was slightly better than a man child.

Oh and he won't do it again if with collective goon help and almost on the spot translation.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
Ok, I was too snarky in my previous reply. If you really want the air of wandering aimlessly and free in an extremely foreign place, my recommendation would be to pick one of the 23 ku in Tokyo and just stay there your entire trip. You can literally live in Shinjuku-ku your entire life and not even come close to knowing all that's there.

I'm not joking in any way, but it would take a pretty adventurous person to manage this.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Go to akihabara and never leave.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

im not asking you plan my trip for me, all I was wondering was about if there was a preferred guidebook or whatnot. It's not like I'm gonna post a question on here and wait for one of the almighty Japan gurus itt to deign to answer my question when I can just look in a guidebook instantly and read something written by somebody with probably more experience on the subject than any of you

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
I found this guidebook to be pretty good https://www.amazon.com/dp/0671027034

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

caberham posted:

People in Fukuoka are super chill and yeah more females there. And it’s also demographically one of the younger and vibrant chill out cities in japan. Also favorable to immigration compared to the rest of the country. Given that it’s closer to Seoul and Shanghai than Tokyo. Oh and SoftBank and tech companies have head quarters there

...Huh. Maybe when I retire I'll move to Fukuoka :v:

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002
This one is pretty good http://a.co/dHGRxIM

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

fridge corn posted:

im not asking you plan my trip for me, all I was wondering was about if there was a preferred guidebook or whatnot. It's not like I'm gonna post a question on here and wait for one of the almighty Japan gurus itt to deign to answer my question when I can just look in a guidebook instantly and read something written by somebody with probably more experience on the subject than any of you

As someone who just dips in and out of this thread every now and then to pick up tips for their next trip my dude you need to chill.

You said yourself you want "up to date" information on things, how is a printed book going to be more up to date than actively looking up the information as and when it's needed?

Pocket WiFi is all you need. Maybe a USB battery for the pocket WiFi. I had that + this thread and got a ton of great advice, answers to dumb questions and a helpful cheat sheet for a potential hospital visit, virtually all of which was on the fly and while I was already in the country and having a good time. Japan goons are helpful goons.

History Comes Inside! fucked around with this message at 15:55 on Jul 20, 2023

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Re the JET placement thing. I requested Osaka specifically and said that I’d like to be somewhere urban and ended up in Tokyo. They asked me about my preferences in the interview and I basically said I like cities and I’d already lived in Tokyo before. They don’t give a gently caress about what you want even if they do look at it.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

I remember someone in this thread having a chuckle when I said I was in Tokyo because the only Tokyo positions used to be on those bumfuck islands that are a 24hour boat ride away.

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me

caberham posted:

If you want serious food requests ask stringent, me, and some super food nerd goons.

Honest talk though, most of the good food is centered in Tokyo. Unless you like udon.

It's just that the rural areas tend to serve mountain food which is mostly yams, noodles, rice or whatnot. Good Seafood is hard to get unless you know specifically where to go. Even the sea side towns just serve average (albeit cheap) seafood compared to the stuff in Tokyo.

I just haven't been too impressed with the food in japan besides Tokyo and even eating out Japanese can get tiring because good luck finding some vegetables that's not pickled.

This is not always true, especially with respect to seafood.

If you are willing to pay a premium, Tokyo in fact does have all of the seafood you are looking for at increasingly expensive prices. But usually when I go to a particular region, there are going to be certain local fish that are better specifically in that area of Tokyo. In fact, I've often found that for an average price, Tokyo has very good tuna, but is somewhat lacking on the other white/blue fish. I've had way better Aji/Mackeral from either Kyushu or Hokkaido, as an example.

fridge corn posted:

Dude, there are so many online resources for Tokyo/Kyoto, and that's why people are making fun of you.

https://www.japan-guide.com/

ntan1 fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Oct 12, 2017

zmcnulty
Jul 26, 2003

I wouldn't want to live on a JET salary in Tokyo. Cost of living is higher in general and I don't think JET provides any kind of cost-of-living adjustment. I suppose you could live way out in some place that's technically Tokyo prefecture for relatively cheap. Especially if your housing is included. But my understanding is that's one of the many "ESID" factors of JET you don't find out about until you get here. And you'll probably find yourself trying to make your way to central Tokyo every weekend anyway, unless your idea of fun is hanging out at whatever shopping center dominates your local neighborhood.

Even if you're not the kind of person that goes out a lot you'll probably find it difficult to save. If you are the kind of person that goes out a lot, you may end up constantly frustrated since you can't afford to get as involved as you'd like.

Personally if I was doing JET I'd say gently caress Tokyo, choose some C-list city with decent public transport and easy access to things that involve enjoying Japan's totally unique four seasons.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

I've done printed guides and I found that thin, portable and pictures was more useful than a dense brick of tiny text. Sometimes I'll condense everything into a little schedule book. Japan has yearly travel "mooks" (book x magazine) by destination that are ideal for short trips. They're also easy to browse after you're back home.
Kyoto has a ridiculous amount of free guides at the station. Walking maps with all the major temples, numbered and starred.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Re: Placement requests, no I didn't hear that directly from a JET admin but if someone writes Sapporo, Tokyo and Osaka it's obvious that you don't actually have a strong preference. You can try researching rural capitals but in the end your preference is only a preference, and will likely be ignored.

If you're serious about living in a major city you should apply to private schools and eikawa instead.

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Fauxbot posted:

Any reason for Fukuoka? Not a city I've read much about comparatively.

I'm going to an info session at the consulate next week maybe I'll be cheeky and ask whether they read the preferences haha

Fukuoka is cool and good

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

fridge corn posted:

a lot of people live in Japan, they don't know anything about a preferred guidebook. they just go outside and live their lives.

lonely planet is good, if you're looking for something. my first time in Japan I had 24 days flying into and leaving from Osaka and I did kinda what you did, though I obviously didn't go too far away, did a ton of Honshu though.

you can easily fly into Japan with no plan in mind, spend a few days in a place, and then head north. you don't even need a guidebook for that.

Navaash
Aug 15, 2001

FEED ME

I'd like to point out that (for the purposes of JET) that if you request Osaka and somehow get it it's going to be one of the surrounding cities (Amagasaki, Toyonaka, Suita, Ibaraki, Takatsuki, Settsu, Higashiosaka (which believe it or not is a separate city from Osaka), Kashiwara, Sakai, et al) and it's almost certainly going to be ES or JHS. You will never get Osaka City proper for anything. N E V E R. Both BOEs decided a few years ago to say "gently caress JET forever" for different reasons - Interac hosed the pooch super hard with the city contract in the late 2000s and the prefectural BOE decided to try something different for high schools. The city BOE only direct hires C-NETs for elementaries and junior high schools. The prefectural BOE deals with the high schools and they have a two-tier system: T-NETs (who are dispatch employees; not all high schools have T-NETs) and NETs (the T-NETs they considered good enough to direct hire + other good-enough direct hires).

Just want you to know so you know where you might or might not end up.

Navaash fucked around with this message at 00:49 on Oct 13, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

ntan1 posted:

This is not always true, especially with respect to seafood.

This was 2,000 yen in Hachinohe and quality of the fish was on par with a Michelin sushi place in Tokyo (imo).

*edit because i have Alzheimer's* this was the other half of the 2,000 yen set:

Also, great mushrooms at the grocery store:

Stringent fucked around with this message at 01:46 on Oct 13, 2017