Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum
Is there anything that stands out about the SteamWorld Dig 2 Switch port? I was going to nab it but just noticed that it's actually on Steam for $10 less and is cross platform (Win/Linux/Mac).

e: ah poo poo, new page and I'm talking about steam. ugh, here have a nintendo thing:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

It's portable

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

Internet Kraken posted:

Chapter 4 has you backtrack down the same extremely narrow forest path a minimum of 5 times. I love the game for its writing and art but the design is questionable at times.

Chapter 4 is cool and good and did nothing wrong

Chapter 7's backtracking, as pointed out, was worse and was actually kinda bad and amounted to nothing. But even that wasn't very much and is an otherwise tiny speck among the overall great game.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Someone make an SMO thread.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

I want to play SV but it looks like there's so many bugs (including crashing when you try to save for some people!) so I'll wait for a patch. gently caress this patch culture! This wasn't acceptable on the Dreamcast #stillthebestlaunch

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

SeANMcBAY posted:

You can turn it off. I really recommend doing so until you find yourself having trouble finding them.

I turned it off immediately. I would have liked to use it if it could purely be visual, but that doesn’t appear to be possible.

Two Beans
Nov 27, 2003

dabbin' on em
Pillbug

raditts posted:

tbf completionists deserve all the punishment they've got coming to them

I don't get this mentality. What's wrong with playing all of a game?

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Alan_Shore posted:

I want to play SV but it looks like there's so many bugs (including crashing when you try to save for some people!) so I'll wait for a patch. gently caress this patch culture! This wasn't acceptable on the Dreamcast #stillthebestlaunch

The only bug I've encountered is the music looping instead of changing to the town or other appropriate music. Which I didn't even realize was a bug until I saw a post about it.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

Alan_Shore posted:

As usual, everything on the internet is overblown. I have logged entirely too many hours into Stardew already and I've only noticed one bug where I couldn't reach an item in the crafting menu, but once I unlocked more crafting recipes, that bug went away. I haven't experienced the crackling audio issue or whatever. Nothing about the music either.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Mahoning posted:

As usual, everything on the internet is overblown. I have logged entirely too many hours into Stardew already and I've only noticed one bug where I couldn't reach an item in the crafting menu, but once I unlocked more crafting recipes, that bug went away. I haven't experienced the crackling audio issue or whatever. Nothing about the music either.

Yeah I have at least 20 hours into the game and that’s the only “bug” I’ve seen. The game runs great and is a lot of fun.

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

how good is the mario game with the hat and jumping

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
I wonder how many bug reports are from people who played it on PC and are noticing things that first time players wouldn't? I'm guessing a lot if not most.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

Alan_Shore posted:

Mario sounds awesome but if there's one thing I hate it's collecting stupid poo poo like seeds or moons that everyone just uses a guide for anyway
The moons in Odyssey are equivalent to Stars in 64/Sunshine, there are several per stage and they're needed for progression. It's not like the Korok seeds in BOTW. But again, you don't need to get every moon from every stage unless you're looking for 100% completion. You'll presumably only need a few to move on to the next area or whatever.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Picross without touch controls is a lot more accessible than I thought it'd be. Maybe even easier to play... since the 3DS touch screen was so tiny, anything 15x15 or larger was often a little hard to be precise with. They added some nice touches, like if you hold B to cross out a square, you can zoom through the whole line crossing out empty blocks without crossing out filled blocks, and automatically stop at the end. Good buy, as Picross games always are.

It's just missing one of those huge Picross puzzles made up of many tiny Picross puzzles, which was always my favorite part of the 3DS Picross games :( Maybe it'll be a surprise unlock for 100% unassisted completion but it won't be.

Also, Picross docked on your huge HDTV is hilarious excessive in the smaller puzzles, but nice for 15x15 and up.

enojy fucked around with this message at 14:02 on Oct 12, 2017

FiestaDePantalones
May 13, 2005

Kicked in the pants by TFLC
So is there a Pokken discord channel? I am a scrub who is like 1-15 online and needs to learn.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
someone upthread requested that i keep posting about playing breath of the wild.

I'm going in mostly spoiler free (learned abt great fairies and some incidental pieces of equipment through internet osmosis.)

There's a crapload of stuff in this game, which is really appealing in an open world sandbox-y kind of game. I actually never got into Skyrim because the core gameplay felt so uncompelling, but in this one I keep going "wow a forest in the distance over there, I wonder what it's hiding."

I called in sick to work yesterday to play Zelda - and I haven't even really loved a zelda game since majora's mask. (IMO that's still the best zelda but this one is undoubtedly no. 2.)

Big ups to whoever designed the facial expressions on gorons, they're amazing.

I really love the design of the korok seed gathering. I feel pushed to keep looking at my surroundings in order to keep finding seeds. As a result I find myself barely needing my map (although I can't keep myself from prioritizing climbing towers as soon as I see them.)

Speaking of towers, the Arrakat tower and the one in water surrounded by lightning wizards can both eat a bag of dicks. Holy poo poo. I think I was under-leveled for them but I pushed through anyway with judicious use of the ice rune and slamming through my arrow supply. I'm not even sure how you're supposed to kill the helicopter ganon machines.

Thanks for the tip re: stamina - I've felt a huge difference with just two points into stamina, although I found perhaps the game's way of pushing you to get hearts when i wandered into a familiar wood.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Impermanent posted:

Speaking of towers, the Arrakat tower and the one in water surrounded by lightning wizards can both eat a bag of dicks. Holy poo poo. I think I was under-leveled for them but I pushed through anyway with judicious use of the ice rune and slamming through my arrow supply. I'm not even sure how you're supposed to kill the helicopter ganon machines.

You can just ignore enemies like this while you're under powered. You CAN kill them, but more often than not it's not worth the effort.

Two Beans
Nov 27, 2003

dabbin' on em
Pillbug

Impermanent posted:

I'm not even sure how you're supposed to kill the helicopter ganon machines.

When I encountered those things when trying for that tower, I ended up running put of arrows. I was thinking that I was hosed and was about to give up when I finally noticed what object I was crouched behind for cover.

A metal block.

One minute later I'm waving my right arm joycon frantically while at work like I'm having a seizure or something, bonking the Sentinel-coptor upside the head with the magnesis runed block repeatedly to kill it.

Signor
Oct 10, 2005
Huzzah!
So with the Snes classic i just finished Megaman X for the 20th time and i'm craving more, is the Gunvolt series on Switch going to give me that same feeling?

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Signor posted:

So with the Snes classic i just finished Megaman X for the 20th time and i'm craving more, is the Gunvolt series on Switch going to give me that same feeling?

Have you played Cuphead? I heard that's similar to Megaman.

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

Signor posted:

One of them should, I'd say check out Mighty Gunvolt Burst, then the Azure Striker

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010

Signor posted:

try giving 20XX on steam a shot

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Two Beans posted:

I don't get this mentality. What's wrong with playing all of a game?

there's nothing wrong with it. there is however something wrong with guys like superbunnyhop who complain about games like DOOM or Zelda in their reviews purely because their OCD for collecting every piece of poo poo ruins a portion of it for them. I loved finding and collecting things at my leisure, I never made it an obsessive brainbreaking chore for myself in either game

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

It's a question of design philosophy. In BOTW, 900 Korok seeds seems like an absolutely preposterous number if you look at it from the perspective of having to collect everything. But the reasoning behind doing it that way is so that in such a massive open world, every player is guaranteed to find enough seeds to get a decent amount of inventory upgrades regardless of how thoroughly they search for them.

Remains to be seen how it'll play out in Odyssey but I'm sure they know what they're doing.

Modus Pwnens
Dec 29, 2004
drat, I'm not sure if I could come up with more aggravating set of enemies than is in Episode 2 of Tiny Barbarian.

Signor
Oct 10, 2005
Huzzah!

Impermanent posted:

try giving 20XX on steam a shot

Would love to, but the only console/gaming set up I have is a Switch, beyond the classic

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Regy Rusty posted:

It's a question of design philosophy. In BOTW, 900 Korok seeds seems like an absolutely preposterous number if you look at it from the perspective of having to collect everything. But the reasoning behind doing it that way is so that in such a massive open world, every player is guaranteed to find enough seeds to get a decent amount of inventory upgrades regardless of how thoroughly they search for them.

Remains to be seen how it'll play out in Odyssey but I'm sure they know what they're doing.

You can never hold enough swords. :emo:

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

I wish they'd port re4 to the switch.

It'd be perfect.

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

This inkling is your FRIEND
She fights for LOVE

FiestaDePantalones posted:

So is there a Pokken discord channel? I am a scrub who is like 1-15 online and needs to learn.

There's a channel for fighting game enthusiasts on the Nintengoons discord server. You might get someone to play with.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Modus Pwnens posted:

drat, I'm not sure if I could come up with more aggravating set of enemies than is in Episode 2 of Tiny Barbarian.

The apes aren't too bad... until you're asked to do literally anything else at the same time. Jumping puzzles, boss fights, jumping puzzles that are boss fights, auto-scrollers...

I've fought in the ape/bee sky war of 3200BC and I have seen some poo poo. :shepicide:

e: if the difficulty keeps ramping up in the later episodes I'm going to be physically incapable of finishing it.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!
Yeaaaah I heard it doesn't get any better. Difficulty is based on lazy enemy placement and is not tuned well at all or done in a way that is fun or rewarding, the new 2 episodes apparently dial it up even more.

It kept me from checking it out when debating what game to get, especially at that ridiculous price point

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

RZA Encryption posted:

I wish they'd port re4 to the switch.

It'd be perfect.

it's only a matter of when, RE4 probably has more ports than any recent game in existence

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

irlZaphod posted:

The moons in Odyssey are equivalent to Stars in 64/Sunshine, there are several per stage and they're needed for progression. It's not like the Korok seeds in BOTW. But again, you don't need to get every moon from every stage unless you're looking for 100% completion. You'll presumably only need a few to move on to the next area or whatever.

I'd argue this point slightly in that they don't seem to be like the Stars or Shines really. The moons are korok seeds 100%. I've seen Mario just break a random box in a town and have moons rain down on him and back around E3 there were videos of "wow I found 10-15 moons in 9 minutes!!"

The things are just mindless collectables, though you're right that you don't need them all.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Signor posted:

Yea, Gunvolt has a pretty good MMX vibe to it, albeit with a quite different combat mechanic and loads less 90's platformer pitfall bullshit. I don't think you could go wrong.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

KingSlime posted:

Yeaaaah I heard it doesn't get any better. Difficulty is based on lazy enemy placement and is not tuned well at all or done in a way that is fun or rewarding, the new 2 episodes apparently dial it up even more.

It kept me from checking it out when debating what game to get, especially at that ridiculous price point

That's a pity. I'm enjoying everything about it but the difficulty curve.

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus

FiestaDePantalones posted:

There's a dedicated pokken channel here which has links to specific character discords as well. I haven't spent too much time on it myself but it seems like people are pretty quick to answer questions, and you can find other people to play against if you want to practice something.

Two Beans
Nov 27, 2003

dabbin' on em
Pillbug

DLC Inc posted:

there's nothing wrong with it. there is however something wrong with guys like superbunnyhop who complain about games like DOOM or Zelda in their reviews purely because their OCD for collecting every piece of poo poo ruins a portion of it for them. I loved finding and collecting things at my leisure, I never made it an obsessive brainbreaking chore for myself in either game

I see that. Its just (and maybe it's just me) that I keep noticing animosity towards 100%ing games, even to the point where some devs will implement mechanics against 100%ing. Lisa, with its cloud you have to ride for 2 hours in realtime as it slowly drags you to a collectable. Undertale guilt-tripping the player for subsequent replays.

Mind you, I haven't fully beaten a game since DuckTales Remastered.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
it's genuinely very weird to ruin a game for yourself by playing it too much.

signed, someone who called in sick for zelda yesterday.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Alan_Shore posted:

Mario sounds awesome but if there's one thing I hate it's collecting stupid poo poo like seeds or moons that everyone just uses a guide for anyway

lol

I mean, I used a guide for the last 10% of the Korok seeds, but the games are completely playable without a guide. You don't need to 100% it just to play it.

Everyone is obviously a spurious claim but do most people use a guide for games nowadays, other than the very occasional stuck spot?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stanos
Sep 22, 2009

The best 57 in hockey.
I do sometimes but I also play dungeon crawlers where a decent chunk of them aren't in my native tongue so having people that have played them to bounce ideas off and make sure I'm not doing something wrong because I misread a Kanji or a mangled Google translate is good. So not the average use case but hey its something.

• Locked thread