Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.
I was hopeful for The Good Life until the dog version was announced. It's like Swery pulled a lever labeled "Feature Bloat" and sent it into oblivion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.

corn in the bible posted:

that's not terrible for a first attempt i guess

so this is the answer to "who would pay $35 for a shump in 2017?"

e: Oh, it has a 15% discount on Steam.

LawfulWaffle fucked around with this message at 11:28 on Oct 12, 2017

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Ah yes the crazy answer 'people who like shmups'

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.
So AGDQ 2018 is not going to include Super Metroid for the first time since it started

http://www.shacknews.com/article/101669/super-metroid-will-not-be-run-at-awesome-games-done-quick-2018

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

thinking about ridge racer type 4 lately, about once a year I have this feeling that it might be the best racing game ever made and start playing it again. I don't know whether that's true or not but the R4 intro FMV is still incredibly sick to this day

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

last gdq's super metroid was a race where all but one of them died to the ghost ship boss

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

oddium posted:

last gdq's super metroid was a race where all but one of them died to the ghost ship boss

Yeah, thats pretty much the reason they are cancelling it, they said they dont want to end up in a scenario where they cant play out the kill/save endings after a shitload of donations.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

homeless snail posted:

thinking about ridge racer type 4 lately, about once a year I have this feeling that it might be the best racing game ever made and start playing it again. I don't know whether that's true or not but the R4 intro FMV is still incredibly sick to this day

It's probably my favourite and the soundtrack owns.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

CyberPingu posted:

Yeah, thats pretty much the reason they are cancelling it, they said they dont want to end up in a scenario where they cant play out the kill/save endings after a shitload of donations.

That sounds fair, but it won't take long for people to start making veiled threats about the amount of donations for having the audacity to not include a game in the lineup. "I hope those cancer patients are okay with you cutting Super Metroid."

e: It looks like the charity is the Prevent Cancer Foundation, so only new cases of cancer can be blamed on GDQ.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

LawfulWaffle posted:

That sounds fair, but it won't take long for people to start making veiled threats about the amount of donations for having the audacity to not include a game in the lineup. "I hope those cancer patients are okay with you cutting Super Metroid."

It probably will have a pretty big impact as that usually got a buttload of donations, unless they have something similar lined up?

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

folks remember to keep those donations rolling in for our super mario 64 race, hat mario vs hatless mario

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

CyberPingu posted:

So AGDQ 2018 is not going to include Super Metroid for the first time since it started

http://www.shacknews.com/article/101669/super-metroid-will-not-be-run-at-awesome-games-done-quick-2018

Good, finally

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

quiet!! the runners must have quiet !!

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

homeless snail posted:

I'm fond of Rage Racer but R4 is great too.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Grouchio posted:

The end of the first act of Danganronpa V3 was the most brutal, soul-rendering thing I have witnessed in video games period.

You ain't seen nothing yet. The theme of the game seems to be "one up the first two as much as possible until you're numb as poo poo."

chumbler posted:

Is there like some actual difference in the game or is this just collectors being weird?

The gold cart "not for resale" is a retail copy but doesn't have the holofoil logo so that's collector's being weird. The grey cart is a demo/beta copy with access to most areas and all items so it's a unique version only some stores got.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Are those demo stations that stores used to do even really a thing anymore? I feel like its been a long time since I've actually seen one.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

I think the last ones I saw were for the PS3. I just know that they were always broken and that clerks at wherever they were would always complain about it.

I know Nintendo these days just have, like, a TV playing a bunch of trailers near their stuff in some stores.

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

Raxivace posted:

Are those demo stations that stores used to do even really a thing anymore? I feel like its been a long time since I've actually seen one.

There's one playing Destiny in a mall in my city. I think there might be another xbone one in another game store too. I think they're declining in the same way that gaming retail is generally declining, though, as more and more people just shop online instead.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

nintendo deffo has and had 3ds/wii u stations at gamestop and sometimes target

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

Raxivace posted:

Only ones I still see in operation anywhere are 3DS displays, and obviously those won’t be around for much longer.

:smith: actually that’s mildly depressing

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

Best Buys still have em, they use big TVs that take up half a row.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I just realized how soon Etrian Odyssey V comes out and that was a real fun thing to discover. I'm so ready to draw more maps and punch more monsters.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

My friend and I once got to our local EB at open and played all the way through the first Halo and beat it a week before street date. :waycool:

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

mutata posted:

My friend and I once got to our local EB at open and played all the way through the first Halo and beat it a week before street date. :waycool:
They day Halo 2 came out I bought the PC version of Halo 1. The cashier was like "Are you sure this is what you want" and I was like hell yeah it is.

Then I went home and got Custom Edition and the fun never ended.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly
When the Wii originally launched, I spent the night in Walmart and played through most of guitar hero 2 on a demo unit.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Remember the huge Halo 2 launch festival thing that happened where they had military vehicles and poo poo celebrating the release of the game?

Or maybe it was for Halo 3, can't remember. Regardless, it was funny because G4 was covering it and making it into this big thing and Microsoft I guess dropped a lot of money to make it as big of a spectacle as they could for a release thing. I don't think that kinda thing really happens much anymore, though. Like, there'll be releases with lots of people waiting outside of the store to get the game, but nothing on the level of getting tv footage and interviews and paying for a tiny parade of sorts.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Raxivace posted:

Sony did PSVR demo stations, didn't they

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Thanks to the growing popularity of digital distribution the most shameful nerds can now safely download their favorite games at home, free from ridicule.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

i remember walmart had a rock band guitar set up in the clothes section for some reason

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

CyberPingu posted:

lol at the passive-aggressive 'let's see what the donation amounts will be now!' tweets

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Endorph posted:

lol at the passive-aggressive 'let's see what the donation amounts will be now!' tweets

I'd donate more money to remove Metroid from the docket, honestly. Replace all Metroid runs with the NES classic, Gimmick

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
Wait whats wrong with super metroid runs? Are people just tired of seeing it? Seems infinitely better than any of the multi hour rpg runs.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MDUr8696Ve0

VIDEO GAMES

Also, found this thing.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

MMF Freeway posted:

Wait whats wrong with super metroid runs? Are people just tired of seeing it? Seems infinitely better than any of the multi hour rpg runs.

people pay a lot of money to either save or kill the animals at the end and last time 3 of the 4 runners died at the first boss and quit. the last guy probably died too i dunno i stopped watching after that

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

oddium posted:

i remember walmart had a rock band guitar set up in the clothes section for some reason

I remember driving a short distance to some out of the way best buy to try rock band before it came out, back in college.

Can't give those plastic guitars away these days.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
I played a Switch for the first time ever when I visited Best Buy on Monday. I appreciated it because I learned the controller that comes with the co sole feels very tiny in my big, man hands.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

oddium posted:

people pay a lot of money to either save or kill the animals at the end and last time 3 of the 4 runners died at the first boss and quit. the last guy probably died too i dunno i stopped watching after that

i don't really watch these speedrun things but aren't you obligated to power through your fuckups and keep going until the run is complete regardless of whether or not your time is going to be screwed up

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

FirstAidKite posted:

Remember the huge Halo 2 launch festival thing that happened where they had military vehicles and poo poo celebrating the release of the game?

Or maybe it was for Halo 3, can't remember. Regardless, it was funny because G4 was covering it and making it into this big thing and Microsoft I guess dropped a lot of money to make it as big of a spectacle as they could for a release thing. I don't think that kinda thing really happens much anymore, though. Like, there'll be releases with lots of people waiting outside of the store to get the game, but nothing on the level of getting tv footage and interviews and paying for a tiny parade of sorts.

They did them for all the Halo games, and they just kept getting bigger and crazier. I ended up going to most of the NYC ones because at the time I was really involved with the Bungie fandom.

The Halo 2 event was held at the big Toys'r'Us in Times Square (rip) and while they didn't have any military vehicles yet they did run trailers on the billboards and a guerrilla marketing guy gave me a free Plantronics Xbox Live headset on condition that I also wear a Plantronics hat.

The Halo 3 event was held at the Best Buy near Bryant Park, and there they actually did have someone build a real-life Mongoose and drive it down 5th Avenue. I was too far back in the line to get a good look, but I heard the announcer get real excited about it. That was also where I first tried Mountain Dew Gamer Fuel and holy poo poo that stuff is disgusting.

The Halo Reach event was in a theater in Times Square. Kid Cudi was supposed to perform but he never showed up. I always thought he had scored an early copy of the game and bailed on us all to play it, then felt bad about thinking this a few years later when he revealed his history with depression.

And yeah, no one really does this any more. Way cheaper to mail boxes to a few dozen top streamers than to throw a big party somewhere.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Cowcaster posted:

i don't really watch these speedrun things but aren't you obligated to power through your fuckups and keep going until the run is complete regardless of whether or not your time is going to be screwed up

That's what I thought. I read up a little on it and it seems that no one has completed a full run yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Cowcaster posted:

It's a race so theres no reason to start over if you die. Also they don't ever save

• Locked thread