Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

Holy poo poo, Santa Rosa is your home town? I just moved away from there and I'd be homeless right now if I hadn't. Everyone I know has been affected by this, and it is a tragedy. I hope you and your friends and family stay safe and are able to bounce back. You and I spar plenty, but people matter much more than politics.

It's very surreal to see the place I still consider home to be affected this way and I can't help other than a small donation.

Napa's my hometown, but my parents live on Atlas Peak, which is pretty much the epicenter of one of the fires. But yeah, Santa Rosa is a loving mess right now - even worse than the parts of Napa that have gotten hit. Parts of town look like a hydrogen bomb went off.

I appreciate the well-wishing; my family was super lucky. A lot of people definitely weren't.

People should give to the Napa Valley Community Fund btw. A lot of working-class people are getting royally hosed by this fire.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

Majorian posted:

Napa's my hometown, but my parents live on Atlas Peak, which is pretty much the epicenter of one of the fires. But yeah, Santa Rosa is a loving mess right now - even worse than the parts of Napa that have gotten hit. Parts of town look like a hydrogen bomb went off.

I appreciate the well-wishing; my family was super lucky. A lot of people definitely weren't.

People should give to the Napa Valley Community Fund btw. A lot of working-class people are getting royally hosed by this fire.

I live near Denver now, and I've been trying to get everyone I know to donate. I don't know what I would be doing if I hadn't moved my family. I'd be jobless and homeless essentially. My wife and I are trying to figure out how we can go back and volunteer in some way. My brother in law is a firefighter that is assigned in santa Rosa from another part of the state, and his firsthand reports are horrifying. My old boss lost his house and his business. All I could offer was to put him up in Denver for a few weeks.

Again, if anyone has the ability to donate or volunteer please consider it.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Majorian posted:

Jesus gently caress. Hope they all stay safe and can get back going.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Mustached Demon posted:

Jesus gently caress. Hope they all stay safe and can get back going.

Yeah, the Napa fire department's doing heroic work. I'm amazed that as few people have died so far, and while the blaze probably isn't stopping anytime soon, at least other folks will have more warning, and more time to get their poo poo together to flee.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
Yeah the two largest North Bay fires are less than 5% contained and the winds are supposed to continue for another few days I think.

Bad year for natural disasters.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Stereotype posted:

Yeah the two largest North Bay fires are less than 5% contained and the winds are supposed to continue for another few days I think.

Bad year for natural disasters.

We usually have Thanksgiving at my parents' house, with the whole extended family. We have a couple climate change "skeptics" in the mix. I'm going to try not to rub their faces in the ashes of my burnt hometown.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

Nevvy Z posted:

This reply to one of Macfarlanes "you hollywood liberals shoulda done something" trolls is perfect.

https://twitter.com/sheckyyoungman/status/918197336546799616

Two situations when Republicans suddenly care about women:
- when it's a handy excuse to attack Democrats (never mind Weinstein, remember the Bill Clinton stuff from a year ago?)
- when it's a handy excuse to be xenophobic (this one also applies to Republicans suddenly caring about LGBT rights)

Playstation 4
Apr 25, 2014
Unlockable Ben
Reading all the posts about peoples hometowns this year with the insane disaster damages has made me very appreciative of a hometown seemingly immune to any of these things.

Then I remember its just kind a nervous reliance on "how strong is greenstone quartz" away from a really bad one.

Pikavangelist
Nov 9, 2016

There is no God but Arceus
And Pikachu is His prophet

Playstation 4 posted:

Reading all the posts about peoples hometowns this year with the insane disaster damages has made me very appreciative of a hometown seemingly immune to any of these things.

Then I remember its just kind a nervous reliance on "how strong is greenstone quartz" away from a really bad one.

Living somewhere that's merely tornado-prone isn't too bad either: the damage from those tends to be extremely localized. As in, I have literally lived where a tornado wrecked a building but left its neighbors untouched.

Under the vegetable
Nov 2, 2004

by Smythe
the US is pulling out of UNESCO entirely over "anti-Israel bias" and im getting increasingly incapable of tolerating a white nationalist ethnostate influencing US politics on local to federal levels.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Under the vegetable posted:

the US is pulling out of UNESCO entirely over "anti-Israel bias" and im getting increasingly incapable of tolerating a white nationalist ethnostate influencing US politics on local to federal levels.

Didn't we stop paying dues like six years ago because of that bias?

Under the vegetable
Nov 2, 2004

by Smythe

Radish posted:

Didn't we stop paying dues like six years ago because of that bias?

Yeah, and lost voting ability four years ago for it. But now we're just leaving.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Did we take any positive action to leave or is this just a bureaucratic deadline hitting that no one has bothered to avoid?

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

It feels like this is the real "gently caress you" but we've made our stance pretty clear even before Trump.

C2C - 2.0
May 14, 2006

Dubs In The Key Of Life

Lipstick Apathy
Congrats, Mississippi. Somehow you keep trying to out-bad Louisiana

https://twitter.com/dominicholden/status/914955826858733568

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

C2C - 2.0 posted:

https://twitter.com/dominicholden/status/914955826858733568

And now it has a DOJ that will defend it.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

C2C - 2.0 posted:

I mean, you're basically describing Louisiana without N.O., so...

(but yeah, holy poo poo, that's bad)

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
The UNESCO thing is because the official position of the United States is that there needs to be a permanent 2-state solution negotiated by the Israelis and Palestinians that recognizes Israel as a Jewish State and gives the Palestinians full control of their borders.

When the Palestinian Authority was accepted into the council, it was seen as a first step to get themselves unilaterally declared a nation by the U.N. because the 2010 peace talks had just broken down. The U.S. wanted the Palestinian Authority to restart talks with Israel.

The U.S. said that the Palestinians' pursuing statehood unilaterally would sabotage peace talks and became an observing and non dues-paying member to protest and advocate for direct negotiations/appease Israel.

It was supposed to be a sop to Israel and also advocate for negotiation of a 2-state solution. Pulling out entirely is just a signal that they aren't going to even pretend to advocate for a 2-state solution anymore.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Looks coordinated.

https://twitter.com/AmichaiStein1/status/918510397145133056

C2C - 2.0
May 14, 2006

Dubs In The Key Of Life

Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/sacbee_news/status/918503994598686733

:suicide:

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

That sort of thing happens pretty regularly to people with intellectual disabilities. Probably once every few months there's a case uncovered.

Under the vegetable
Nov 2, 2004

by Smythe

"In one instance, Smith said, Edwards dipped a pair of tongs into hot frying grease and scalded the back of his neck. On another occasion, when Smith didn’t bring food out to the buffet fast enough, Edwards took Smith into the back of the restaurant and whipped him with a belt buckle, according to the complaint."

jesus christ this guy needs to be beaten to death

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Under the vegetable posted:

jesus christ this guy needs to be beaten to death

:thermidor:

Javes
May 6, 2012

ASK ME ABOUT APPEARING OFFLINE SO I DON'T HAVE TO TELL FRIENDS THEY'RE NOT GOOD ENOUGH FOR MY VIDEO GAME TEAM.
https://twitter.com/jamieson/status/918528764824444932

Silicon Valley continues to be 'take an existing idea/concept and do it in a way to skirt labor laws/standards.'

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Javes posted:

https://twitter.com/jamieson/status/918528764824444932

Silicon Valley continues to be 'take an existing idea/concept and do it in a way to skirt labor laws/standards.'

To be fair, The WaPo didn't start to turn a significant profit until 2016. They just hired 750 new people and reduced the price of subscriptions with the profits from last year.

And "proposed reducing severance packages by up to 12%" is not really the greatest threat to the proletariat. Almost everyone with a large severance package is an executive or making a substantial amount of money.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

To be fair, The WaPo didn't start to turn a significant profit until 2016. They just hired 750 new people and reduced the price of subscriptions with the profits from last year.

And "proposed reducing severance packages by up to 12%" is not really the greatest threat to the proletariat. Almost everyone with a large severance package is an executive or making a substantial amount of money.

Uh, he's doing away with stuff like inflation raises. Why in the world would you want to take a defensive angle on this? Bezos's history with Amazon is also plenty of reason to view his actions pessimistically.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Ytlaya posted:

Uh, he's doing away with stuff like inflation raises. Why in the world would you want to take a defensive angle on this? Bezos's history with Amazon is also plenty of reason to view his actions pessimistically.

He's going from 4% annual across the board raises to a minimum of 1% (or $750; whichever is higher) annual raises + whatever merit considerations bonuses are to a maximum of 10% a year. Some people will get up to 2.5% less and some people will get up to 6% more.

There are still going to be annual raises.

Almost every other newspaper in the country is firing people with no severance. WaPo just hired 750 new people and lowered the cost of subscriptions.

99% of print media is boned and WaPo didn't even turn a major profit until last year. This is not even in the bottom 75% of things happening to employees in print media.

Also, "opinion journalist working for free on HuffPo thinks that people in print media need bigger severance packages" is not a super compelling example of tyranny. His employer is a far bigger drag on the livelihood of print journalism than WaPo.

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Oct 12, 2017

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

He's going from 4% annual across the board raises to a minimum of 1% (or $750; whichever is higher) annual raises + whatever merit considerations bonuses are to a maximum of 10% a year. Some people will get up to 2.5% less and some people will get up to 6% more.

Almost every other newspaper in the country is firing people with no severance. WaPo just hired 750 new people and lowered the cost of subscriptions.

99% of print media is boned and WaPo didn't even turn a major profit until last year. This is not even in the bottom 75% of things happening to employees in print media.

Also, "opinion journalist working for free on HuffPo thinks that people in print media need bigger severance packages" is not a super compelling example of tyranny. His employer is a far bigger drag on the livelihood of print journalism than WaPo.

and most will be getting less (especially women and minority writers) while a very small few get more. nice!

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

i'm sure the guy who owns a company that is a living nightmare to work for is acting in the best interests of workers though

:lol:

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Condiv posted:

and most will be getting less (especially women and minority writers) while a very small few get more. nice!

I have bad news for you about the state of compensation in print journalism. You may want to take a seat for this.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

I have bad news for you about the state of compensation in print journalism. You may want to take a seat for this.

bezos is actively making it worse at wapo? that's terrible!

bezos shouldn't be contributing to the sorry state of compensation in print journalism!

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Condiv posted:

bezos is actively making it worse at wapo? that's terrible!

bezos shouldn't be contributing to the sorry state of compensation in print journalism!

98% of people in print journalism would be very excited to have a 401(k) with company match, annual raises, no-deductible healthcare, a severance package, and work for an employer that is actively expanding hiring.

They made their first significant profit last year and they used it to hire more people instead of shedding jobs like every other newspaper, with one or two exceptions, in the country.

HuffingtonPost, who published this article, pays their journalists in "exposure" and is a much bigger drag on compensation in journalism.

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax
WaPo is also the first and only news outlet with a majority female editorial board i believe

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

98% of people in print journalism would be very excited to have a 401(k) with company match, annual raises, no-deductible healthcare, a severance package, and work for an employer that is actively expanding hiring.

They made their first significant profit last year and they used it to hire more people instead of shedding jobs like every other newspaper, with one or two exceptions, in the country.

HuffingtonPost, who published this article, pays their journalists in "exposure" and is a much bigger drag on compensation in journalism.

This information does not feed condiv's massive persecution complex, thus it will be ignored.

Jeff Bezos may not be a good person, but what he is doing for WaPo is very good. As long as he doesn't interfere with the actual journalism and just runs the business it will continue to be good.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

The HuffPo article you quoted doesn't say that - it says that the practice of guaranteed annual raises will be gone completely, with some employees potentially going up to 30 months without any raise at all while the top performers get merit raises of up to 4%.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

i'm sure the guy who pays some of the worst wages among the companies of his' size, and who abuses his workers on the regular is just doing what he must to keep wapo afloat and not abusing workers again

i'm sure amazon pays some of the worst rates for programmers and such for a company of its size entirely because of the sorry state of programmer compensation (:lol:)

it's just amazing that you're buying that a guy who runs a workplace like this:

quote:

“Nearly every person I worked with, I saw cry at their desk.”

“I would see people practically combust.”

“The joke in the office was that when it came to work/life balance, work came first, life came second, and trying to find the balance came last.”

is actually looking out for the best interests of workers. amazon is a notoriously lovely place to work, and that's for white-collar professionals, and amazon's not failing. amazon's workhouses are even worse and their employees aren't even paid for having to wait in line for security to check them out and make sure they haven't stole anything

so again, :laffo: that you believe the ghoul known as bezos gives one poo poo about workers.

Condiv fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Oct 12, 2017

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Look, imagine all the terrible things that could happen if you're too harsh about Jeff Bezos's management of WaPo. This is serious business, and if his honor isn't defended this could be the end of us all.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006
we must unite in defending The Good Billionaires

in exchange they will allow some of the wealth to trickle down to us, any day now

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

i love that you keep on talking about wapo expanding hiring as if that's a gift from god instead of bezos doing what bezos do btw leon trotsky. amazon has sky high turnover, and is hiring constantly. the reason for that is because it's a meat grinder that grinds workers into paste and then drives them out once they're all used up. and he can't replicate that business model at wapo without increasing hiring and slashing benefits. so good job applauding bezos for the hellzonification of wapo :confuoot:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

Condiv posted:

i love that you keep on talking about wapo expanding hiring as if that's a gift from god instead of bezos doing what bezos do btw leon trotsky. amazon has sky high turnover, and is hiring constantly. the reason for that is because it's a meat grinder that grinds workers into paste and then drives them out once they're all used up. and he can't replicate that business model at wapo without increasing hiring and slashing benefits. so good job applauding bezos for the hellzonification of wapo :confuoot:

While I don't want to defend Bezos for his other businesses, the idea that WaPo is anything bus massively successful and supportive of their journalists, especially after this year is :laffo:

• Locked thread