Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Paul Zuvella posted:

Why on earth would you just assume that is a second massive Forrest fire and not just the same one lmao

That'd make a lot more sense, yeah (unless constant fires are our equivalent to the tornado this time around).

It'll probably be one of the first shots of the episode before we cut to Chloe and Rachel either back in Chloe's room or camped out in the woods somewhere (or back at the junkyard).

Larryb fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Oct 11, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Larryb posted:

A trailer for a trailer seems weird but there are some interesting tidbits in it such as Chloe getting her truck, possibly setting up the whole Frank/Rachel relationship (there's a shot of him in the Blackwell dormitories and it seems pretty clear from the previous episode that Chloe does not live on campus like Max did), and, unless that's just the aftermath of the previous episode, they apparently start yet another fire..

That's not Frank, it's Chloe in the beanie!

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

exquisite tea posted:

That's not Frank, it's Chloe in the beanie!

Ah, just watched it again and you're right, it is Chloe for some reason wearing the same outfit Frank had at the mill. Nevermind all that then.

It's still a possibility though as while Chloe didn't know Rachel and Frank had hooked up until the first game it was implied that the three of them had at least hung out together prior to that.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Oct 11, 2017

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

The three of them "hung out"

Canemacar
Mar 8, 2008

The play seems to be getting closer to production. The climax is likely going to happen opening night. I haven't read it myself, any Shakespeare buffs here willing to enlighten the ignorant about possible parallels between the game and the play?

After it's cameo in the last episode, it's nice to see Chloe's truck back in the picture. It got so much personality it's basically an extension of her.

That's definitely the same wildfire that started at the end of episode 1. Only question is if it was supposed to be a one off for dramatic purposes, or if it will be a growing danger like the storm in LiS. Most likely the second one. Rachel's fury at her father sparking a blaze that threatens to consume them all is perfect symbolism. No way they would pass that up.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Canemacar posted:

The play seems to be getting closer to production. The climax is likely going to happen opening night. I haven't read it myself, any Shakespeare buffs here willing to enlighten the ignorant about possible parallels between the game and the play?

After it's cameo in the last episode, it's nice to see Chloe's truck back in the picture. It got so much personality it's basically an extension of her.

That's definitely the same wildfire that started at the end of episode 1. Only question is if it was supposed to be a one off for dramatic purposes, or if it will be a growing danger like the storm in LiS. Most likely the second one. Rachel's fury at her father sparking a blaze that threatens to consume them all is perfect symbolism. No way they would pass that up.

Its been talked over quite a bit in this very thread, if you just look for it. Also all over the place on youtube too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o_h01ZcyV68

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Whether or not there will be another fire or something I'm willing to bet that at least some other major event is going to go down in this game by the final chapter (though probably not to the same extreme the first one did).

We'll definitely be seeing more of Rachel's dad and the mystery woman in this one at the very least, they put far too much emphasis on it at the end of the last episode for it to get ignored for now.
'
Also in regards to the actual play production itself , as has been mentioned earlier in the thread one of the leaked achievements seems to imply that at some point Chloe will get directly involved with it, either by filling in for another actor or being backstage feeding people lines. Either option sounds like it could be potentially hilarious.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Oct 11, 2017

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

Canemacar posted:

The Tempest tells the story of disgraced noble turned sorceror Prospero who conjures up a storm to shipwreck his rivals on the same island he's been exiled to and marry off his daughter Miranda to the Archduke's son, thus reclaiming his seat in Milan. The most salient connection here is that Prospero is a master manipulator who plays his enemies against one another and twists words around to engineer the perfect set of coincidences that work toward his favor. Rachel Amber herself is kind of a social chameleon who we know to be very good at manipulating people and who also may have some connection to the supernatural (in the case of the Prospero, he channels his powers through the tree sprite Ariel). And of course, that whole apocalyptic storm business that ends up becoming kind of a big deal in season one.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

If Rachel does have some kind of power then Chloe can never know for sure about it or else she'd have probably mentioned something to Max.

If that is the case then maybe this is just some unconscious ability Chloe has, if you establish a strong connection with her and happen to be in her presence during a traumatic event you just suddenly get superpowers for some reason.

Canemacar
Mar 8, 2008

So, I was reading some theories people were posting and it jumped out at me how much Rachel might have been planning to play Chloe from the start. Why was she at that concert? Someone comments on social media that she already had plans to go to a sleepover that night, but bailed with no warning. We also know she was watching Chloe from the moment Chloe arrived outside the venue. Then she posts a picture of the two of them leaving everyone wondering if they're friends right before she asks Chloe to bail on school with her for a trip she definitely planned out in advance. We also know she did her homework since she admits to scoping out Chloe and her locker in the train game.

I mention this because I saw someone make a prediction about Episode 2. That Max would eventually text Chloe and reach out, but Rachel would see it and delete the message in order to keep Chloe dependant on her. At first i thought that wasn't likely, but I realized it's not something I'd put past Rachel and it's heartbreaking enough that I almost expect it now since the universe hates Chloe.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

While I believe that she does eventually (if not already) become genuine friends with Chloe and her meltdown at the end of the last episode was way too intense to be just an act I also wouldn't be surprised if she did end up pulling something like that.

Rachel strikes me as someone who is either deeply insecure or just doesn't care. She's not perfect but she's such a skilled actress/liar that most people can't tell the difference. The only time we've seen that she ever seems to drop the mask is when she's angry and/or upset and even then it's kind of hard to get a grasp of her true nature. As such, while I wouldn't trust someone like that for a second I can't exactly tell if she's a good or bad person at heart either.

I wonder what Rachel's original reason for targeting Chloe was though? It could be that since she was already in such a fragile state it would be easy for Rachel to mold her into whatever she wanted. Some unexpected feelings arose as a result of course but i highly doubt that was her original intention.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Canemacar posted:

So, I was reading some theories people were posting and it jumped out at me how much Rachel might have been planning to play Chloe from the start. Why was she at that concert? Someone comments on social media that she already had plans to go to a sleepover that night, but bailed with no warning. We also know she was watching Chloe from the moment Chloe arrived outside the venue. Then she posts a picture of the two of them leaving everyone wondering if they're friends right before she asks Chloe to bail on school with her for a trip she definitely planned out in advance. We also know she did her homework since she admits to scoping out Chloe and her locker in the train game.

I mention this because I saw someone make a prediction about Episode 2. That Max would eventually text Chloe and reach out, but Rachel would see it and delete the message in order to keep Chloe dependant on her. At first i thought that wasn't likely, but I realized it's not something I'd put past Rachel and it's heartbreaking enough that I almost expect it now since the universe hates Chloe.

Oh man, that would drive the Pricefielders insane. I love that idea.

As for why Rachel singles out Chloe, I don't think it even has anything to do with her personally, at least at first. I think Rachel just has that effect on everybody she meets, and I'm sure we've all met people like that in our own lives who you find yourself going to abnormal lengths for just to please. Plus when you're rebelling against your father and want a good cover for your mischief, it helps to ally with the school delinquent who will always take the fall for you.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'
Pricefield makes me think of some kind of department store.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

exquisite tea posted:

So I was planning on rolling up a new character for Divinity Original Sin 2 and started getting ideas.

Coincidentally my latest fixation is trying to run through Nethack with Chloe the Barbarian...she tends to die over and over and over and over

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Larryb posted:

If Rachel does have some kind of power then Chloe can never know for sure about it or else she'd have probably mentioned something to Max.

If that is the case then maybe this is just some unconscious ability Chloe has, if you establish a strong connection with her and happen to be in her presence during a traumatic event you just suddenly get superpowers for some reason.

I'm still thinking something is wrong with the town itself. The world literally does hate Chloe and want her to suffer.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Cythereal posted:

I'm still thinking something is wrong with the town itself. The world literally does hate Chloe and want her to suffer.

True, Arcadia Bay seems to be akin to Silent Hill in a sense only with fewer monsters. The town seems to have a corrupting effect on nearly everyone in it (and Chloe gets extra special attention for some reason, maybe because she started out with such a perfect life and we can't have nice things in this universe) to the point where nature itself is showing signs of rebelling against it. I suppose there are some upsides if you choose to wipe it out at the end of the first game.

We're probably not going to see much of it again after BtS wraps up but I'm sure there's another town somewhere in this world that's just as lovely if not more so.

Outside of that, I'm curious what the Raven's end goal for Chloe is. The Doe's purpose seemed to be guiding Max and Chloe to finding Rachel's body and getting them both safely out of range of the storm and the Butterfly signified the beginning and the end of Max's journey but in Chloe's case we know her life doesn't exactly get much better after this so what's the lesson? Guiding her down a path towards self-acceptance and letting others back into her life perhaps (in which case, Max kind of takes over that role once we get to Life is Strange)?

It might be interesting if the dreams she has keep getting weirder as things go on (like, have one where Max or even another Chloe is in the driver's seat in place of William, or possibly have it take place in another location entirely). Hell, maybe at some point late in the game Chloe finally gets sick of being jerked around and we get a Backtalk Challenge with Ghost Raven-Dad (or Rachel for that matter).

Larryb fucked around with this message at 05:24 on Oct 12, 2017

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

DeathChicken posted:

Coincidentally my latest fixation is trying to run through Nethack with Chloe the Barbarian...she tends to die over and over and over and over

I found it amusing that Chloe can't even live in her own D&D game. The way she goes out is very Chloe-like.

nil.
Nov 11, 2012

exquisite tea posted:

I found it amusing that Chloe can't even live in her own D&D game. The way she goes out is very Chloe-like.

Well, she dies, but her death allows the companion she travelled with (wielding great supernatural power) to save the day (keeping some place starting with "A" from destruction). Hey, that seems familiar...

Eshettar
May 9, 2013

*whispers*

yospos, bithc

nil. posted:

Well, she dies, but her death allows the companion she travelled with (wielding great supernatural power) to save the day (keeping some place starting with "A" from destruction). Hey, that seems familiar...

A companion who gets badly hurt as a consequence of their adventure together. The wizard guy's legs are chopped off and there's no way Max is coming out of her experience without suffering massive trauma. Different types of harm, yes, but there's no denying that Max is scarred for life by their journey. No matter how it ends.

To sacrifice Chloe or not to sacrifice Chloe, that is the...oh wait, that's from another play.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Eshettar posted:

A companion who gets badly hurt as a consequence of their adventure together. The wizard guy's legs are chopped off and there's no way Max is coming out of her experience without suffering massive trauma. Different types of harm, yes, but there's no denying that Max is scarred for life by their journey. No matter how it ends.

To sacrifice Chloe or not to sacrifice Chloe, that is the...oh wait, that's from another play.

It never really dawned on me at first that the D&D scene could be seen as metaphorical (though then again, this game isn't exactly subtle about it's foreshadowing) but you're right. Max goes from a shy, reserved student with aspirations of becoming a photographer to a bitter, broken shell of a human being trying desperately to hold on to the one good thing left in her life (even sacrificing her dreams and identity for the sake of keeping Chloe safe, which could be seen as a noble act in some sense but it's also clearly destroying her from the inside). In fact, if it turned out Warren didn't still have that photo after Max escaped the Dark Room it's quite possible at that point she would have just straight up killed herself.

While Chloe obviously gets the brunt of it, Max gets poo poo on pretty frequently in this game as well. Aside from the inherant cruelty of giving someone powers only to punish them for actually trying to use them, nearly everything Max tries to do aside from saving Kate on the roof winds up backfiring on her horribly to the point where the power feels less like a gift and more like a horrible curse. Yet at the same time she becomes so dependant on it that she can't help but continue to dive even deeper, her spirit eventually shattering completely when the person she's been fighting for all this time suddenly offers to give herself up in order to save everyone else. No matter what ending you choose, it seems logicial that Max would be left with some form of lingering PTSD, possibly for the rest of her life.

Were it not for her struggling to stay good and use her powers to help people despite being slowly crushed under the weight of the world Max would almost be considered the villain of the story (hell, we already saw in the William lives timeline that it would only take one small change to turn her into almost a completely different person), and a Max that had power but no hesitation about using it for her own gains honestly wouldn't be that much different than Jefferson.

Rachel obviously got dealt a few bad hands as well but at the moment I don't really have as much sympathy for her as I do the other two (though that could change by the time BtS ends). She seems to act like the world revolves around her personally and if there's ever any sign of that illusion shattering she just can't handle it. I'm not saying she deserved to die or anything but the fact remains that she played around too much in her life and wound up suffering for it in the end.

Ironically, despite probably getting the worst of it Chloe is the only one of the three that actually manages to save herself in the end (and possibly save Max as well if you go the Sacrifice Chloe route). Like I've said before, Chloe is arguably the true hero of Life is Strange, we just happen to be observing her from Max's perspective in that game.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 15:11 on Oct 12, 2017

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

I feel like trying to place higher meaning in the D&D game is a little silly, it was a one off goofy character set piece that let us meet two new characters.

Canemacar
Mar 8, 2008

If Steph and Mikey we're the main characters in LiS2, I'd be cool with that.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Canemacar posted:

If Steph and Mikey we're the main characters in LiS2, I'd be cool with that.

It might be nice to have at least one old character pop up again in the sequel, though if they don't want to commit to making one ending more canon than the other that could be a little tough to do. At best we're probably going to see some symbolic references or at the most maybe at one point the main character sees a photo taken by a Max Caulfield and/or we get a Hawt Dawg Man cameo (who seems to be becoming somewhat of a mascot for this series).

Larryb fucked around with this message at 16:22 on Oct 12, 2017

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Larryb posted:

It might be nice to have at least one old character pop up again in the sequel, though if they don't want to commit to making one ending more canon than the other that could be a little tough to do. At best we're probably going to see some symbolic references or at the most maybe at one point the main character sees a photo taken by a Max Caulfield and/or we get a Hawt Dog Man cameo.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

I'm more expecting LiS 2 to be a very different game besides the same basic framework of "episodic adventure format, some element of the supernatural, gay as heck." I think the time travel element was specific to Max alone and our future lead will have a different symbolic power, if they even have one. And it might not even be THAT gay...

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

exquisite tea posted:

I'm more expecting LiS 2 to be a very different game besides the same basic framework of "episodic adventure format, some element of the supernatural, gay as heck." I think the time travel element was specific to Max alone and our future lead will have a different symbolic power, if they even have one. And it might not even be THAT gay...

True. Hell, maybe the sequel will end up staring a male protagonist or someone that isn't a teenager (could be an adult, an elderly person, or even a literal child, though the last one might be a little much if LiS2 ends up being as dark as the previous installment). Either way, it's probably going to be a completely different experience if only to avoid rehashing the same ideas.

For all we know Season Two might not even be set in the same timeframe as the original. It could be in the distant past, the far future or maybe even a seperate universe entirely.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 16:42 on Oct 12, 2017

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

exquisite tea posted:

The biggest issue I think with BtS so far is that there does not really seem to be a point with them so far. We got what LiS was doing super quickly; stock standard coming of age story with sci-fi twists that is hella gay.

BtS is not that... because we know Chloe is going to end up more or less where she starts, there is no room for growth because we know her end point. So is this a game about infidelity tearing a family apart? Maybe, who knows. Not a lot else is really gone into in any depth; blackwell's corruption is never mentioned, many of the towns problems are not mentioned in any real detail. So with two episodes left we know that this is a game about Rachel and Chloe's relationship, which, again we know pretty much exactly how it ends.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

My feeling on BtS is that ultimately it wasn't a story that ever needed to be told, but since it is being told anyway, I'm glad it's at least being done competently so far. And most importantly, it gives all of us itt a reason to discuss the greatest video game and perhaps work of art ever achieved by humans, Life is Strange (Season One).

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Dammit, where's the new trailer? It should be out by now! :argh:

Edit: I am an idiot who cannot tell time. Still about an hour to go, everyone.

Canemacar
Mar 8, 2008

Yvonmukluk posted:

Dammit, where's the new trailer? It should be out by now! :argh:

Edit: I am an idiot who cannot tell time. Still about an hour to go, everyone.

That close? Awesome. I thought it would be this afternoon.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hk9de3ljHnw

It's here.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

And out this time next week! :toot:

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Well that was an extremely underwhelming trailer.

Canemacar
Mar 8, 2008

So the Blackwell Ninja strikes again. For the first time.

Partnering with Frank, who knows that woman, to steal money from Mikey's brother, when another dealer guy shows up?

I wonder if Chloe is going to start living in her truck at the junkyard as she works to get it running? Or maybe sneaking into Rachel's to stay the night?

Canemacar fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Oct 12, 2017

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Huh, this is coming out sooner than I thought. We might even wrap the whole thing up before the end of the year at this rate.

My only worry is whether or not they'll be able to stick the landing as they've basically got two episodes left to tell their entire story. We also get our first good look at the mystery woman, who seems to look pretty simillar to Rachel in my opinion. She also appears to both know Frank and is apparently meeting with Chloe alone (and she doesn't look too happy about it).

I'm gonna hazard a guess and say the other drug dealer we saw in the trailer was Damon Merrick. Chloe's iconic beanie being a loan from Frank is also a nice touch and it does feel like there's a lot more happening in this one in terms of overall story.

When all is said and done I'm curious what it would be like to play these games again in chronological order. Would the player be less likely to sacrifice Chloe at the end after having spent two whole games getting to know her or would they possibly understand her position even more?

Larryb fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Oct 12, 2017

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Canemacar posted:

So the Blackwell Ninja strikes again. For the first time.

Partnering with Frank, who knows that woman, to steal money from Mikey's brother, when another dealer guy shows up?

I wonder if Chloe is going to start living in her truck at the junkyard as she works to get it running? Or maybe sneaking into Rachel's to stay the night?

Both Mikey and his brother appear to be in the room with Chloe.

As I recall room 110 was Logan's back in the original Life is Strange, although dorm assignments could have changed in three years.

We now have confirmation that Chloe dons her iconic beanie in service to checking the perimeter before talking bidness.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

exquisite tea posted:

Both Mikey and his brother appear to be in the room with Chloe.

As I recall room 110 was Logan's back in the original Life is Strange, although dorm assignments could have changed in three years.

We now have confirmation that Chloe dons her iconic beanie in service to checking the perimeter before talking bidness.
My one complaint about season 1 is that Max never got to try on the beanie. Maybe it might have helped with the stealth sections.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

It certainly would have helped mask her solid helmet hair, gurrrr do you even condition that mane.

Canemacar
Mar 8, 2008

exquisite tea posted:

It certainly would have helped mask her solid helmet hair, gurrrr do you even condition that mane.

You're just jealous because Chloe likes her Pris' bangs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Aww yisss, I should have Friday off, too.

• Locked thread