Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Block me for being an unironic DeSantis fan, too!

iospace posted:

You forgot A&M is rear end.

How do they fare against unblocked ball carriers and gangly freshman QB scrambles?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Henchman of Santa posted:

Couch and David Carr were victims of expansion team rosters that might have been ok in a more stable system.

I think this is definitely true with Carr, but Couch also got outplayed by Kelly Holcomb regularly so eh. I think him going high was at least in part a result of people not totally knowing what to do with air raid guys yet.

Weinke had better passing numbers than Brees across the board and was missing Warrick for the Heisman year. He was loving awesome. And Ron Dayne is still the scariest opposing running back I've ever seen; he was like impossible to bring down one on one. Trying to retroactively fit Heisman results to how players turned out in the NFL is a very annoying thing people like to do.

MourningView fucked around with this message at 15:56 on Oct 12, 2017

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

Jarvis Jones should've been in Manti Te'o's place in 2012.

I still think Florida's going to win the East.

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

This for my justices slingin' thangs, rib breakin' kings / Truck, necklace, robe, gavel and things / For the solicitors seein' them dissents spin and grin / That robe with the lace trim that win.

The old Big XII was cool as gently caress :(

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

D.N. Nation posted:

Jarvis Jones should've been in Manti Te'o's place in 2012.

more like jarvis j-owns am i right

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
Weinke was indeed amazing and Dayne was a goddamned wrecking ball that everyone knew was coming and still did gently caress all to stop

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Sab0921 posted:

The old Big XII was cool as gently caress :(

You really have no one to blame but yourself here.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

LeeMajors posted:

Maaaaaybe Troy Smith, but he did have a pretty big year before UF eviscerated him.

That was McFadden's Heisman and you know it :colbert:

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Troy Smith was unreal that year before he discovered In 'N' Out Burger

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

MourningView posted:

I think this is definitely true with Carr, but Couch also got outplayed by Kelly Holcomb regularly so eh. I think him going high was at least in part a result of people not totally knowing what to do with air raid guys yet.

Weinke had better passing numbers than Brees across the board and was missing Warrick for the Heisman year. He was loving awesome. And Ron Dayne is still the scariest opposing running back I've ever seen; he was like impossible to bring down one on one. Trying to retroactively fit Heisman results to how players turned out in the NFL is a very annoying thing people like to do.

I saw someone describe Dayne as a 'locomotive made of butcher knives' once and I'm not sure there's a better description. Dude was loving crazy good.

And I agree—gently caress retroactive judgement of college players on pro results.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Ron Dayne was amazing to watch in person.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true
Pick'em can be picked.

I'm up to #4, but it's a very close season.

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Block me for being an unironic DeSantis fan, too!

D.N. Nation posted:

Georgia will win the East. They're the only East team with a hope taking Alabama's playoff spot. Xort wills it.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Yes Georgia is the only East team that looks non trash this year

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

So the SEC is a two team conference?

:thunk:

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
It's possible that Auburn is really good. There certainly seems to be some separation between them and the next 11 teams.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

iospace posted:

The SEC is basically whoever gets to lose to Alabama on any given Saturday

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

Auburn only looked bad on the road against the defending champs. Elsewise they've blistered people. Oh, they only beat Mercer by two scores but they turned the ball over a ton so eh. Get UGA and Bama at home. Hrmmm.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jErmry9Q0NQ&t=688s

Basically, the SEC might boil down to this, with Kane = UGA, Undertaker = Bama, Stone Cold = Auburn.

RumbleFish
Dec 20, 2007

Rashad Fenton is a South Carolina cornerback who hasn't allowed any touchdowns this year, and he gave up only 45 yards in his "worst" game. Tyler Byrd is a Tennessee receiver who has two (2) catches this season.

https://twitter.com/D1fuzzymuffin17/status/918467819033030657

Duckaerobics
Jul 22, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
I've been wondering what would happen if Auburn loses to Georgia, but beats bama and then beats Georgia in a re-match for the SEC championship. Who goes to the play-off? Is there a chance Auburn could play two teams twice this year?

edit: I'm pretty sure the committee would put bama in over Auburn and Georgia.

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

This for my justices slingin' thangs, rib breakin' kings / Truck, necklace, robe, gavel and things / For the solicitors seein' them dissents spin and grin / That robe with the lace trim that win.
My wife's birthday this week - She wants basically only a date night on Saturday - How can I convince her that a good date night that she wants will be a bar where Texas-OU is playing and then going to the Astros-Yankees game?

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

iospace posted:

Three teams including Auburn until proven differently.

Auburn losing to LSU who just lost to Troy would prove that pretty well, but that has to happen first.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Hey hey hey!

They lost to Troy two weeks ago! They just stumbled through a win against Florida.

Dilber
Mar 27, 2007

TFLC
(Trophy Feline Lifting Crew)

FSU having its revenge on us this week as we lose to GT.

Aside from losing our starting RB, our starting safety, #1 CB, and best olineman are out this week. Our best WR is questionsable and won't be 100% even if he plays.

The two dbs that are out are our best at tackling and getting off blocks.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer

RumbleFish posted:

Rashad Fenton is a South Carolina cornerback who hasn't allowed any touchdowns this year, and he gave up only 45 yards in his "worst" game. Tyler Byrd is a Tennessee receiver who has two (2) catches this season.

https://twitter.com/D1fuzzymuffin17/status/918467819033030657

Oh no it’s spreading

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

Grittybeard posted:

You really have no one to blame but yourself here.

I still don't accept the "Texas is at fault for everything" reasoning for the Big XII falling apart. There were plenty of stupid actions by petty men that led to its disintegration.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Sab0921 posted:

I still don't accept the "Texas is at fault for everything" reasoning for the Big XII falling apart. There were plenty of stupid actions by petty men that led to its disintegration.

The team that killed the SWC killed the Big 12.

Honestly though no one who left had any problems with OU or whoever, everyone thought Texas was destabilizing the conference. Mainly because they were. And will again in a few years.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Sab0921 posted:

My wife's birthday this week - She wants basically only a date night on Saturday - How can I convince her that a good date night that she wants will be a bar where Texas-OU is playing and then going to the Astros-Yankees game?

Be a decent husband and go on the dang date, you're gonna have a bunch of other chances to watch Texas lose a football game.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

Duckaerobics posted:

I've been wondering what would happen if Auburn loses to Georgia, but beats bama and then beats Georgia in a re-match for the SEC championship. Who goes to the play-off? Is there a chance Auburn could play two teams twice this year?

edit: I'm pretty sure the committee would put bama in over Auburn and Georgia.

Bama is highly-ranked enough to overcome missing the title game, but I'm not sure how far they'd drop after a season-ending loss. It'd probably depend on the records of the other teams behind them. If there are several 1- or 2-loss teams just behind them, they'll just fall to a 4 seed.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Iowa added Northern Iowa to the schedule in 2020, that Big Ten ban on FCS games didn't last long. I would still much rather play like Akron or Bowling Green than a good FCS program filled almost entirely with local kids pissed off they didn't get an Iowa offer, but UNI has fallen off quite a bit recently so maybe they'll be bad in 2020. Our conference schedule that year is pretty brutal with Michigan State, at Penn State, and at OSU as the cross over games so I'm cool with a soft noncon.

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

MourningView posted:

Be a decent husband and go on the dang date, you're gonna have a bunch of other chances to watch Texas lose a football game.

The key here is I got the company tickets to the Astros-Yankees - would skip OU game generally.

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!
Happy wife, happy life

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Sab0921 posted:

This youtube channel has the Texas games posted a couple days later if you don't have DVR

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=channel?UCKd8Yz4fvdIGQlmHvkedMAw

TheGreyGhost
Feb 14, 2012

“Go win the Heimlich Trophy!”

sportsgenius86 posted:

Troy Smith was unreal that year before he discovered In 'N' Out Burger

I have never seen a man gain as much weight in a month-month and a half as Troy Smith did between the Michigan game and that championship. Like, it was like Lendale White levels of fitness problems

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

Dilber posted:

FSU having its revenge on us this week as we lose to GT.

Aside from losing our starting RB, our starting safety, #1 CB, and best olineman are out this week. Our best WR is questionsable and won't be 100% even if he plays.

The two dbs that are out are our best at tackling and getting off blocks.

Richt is 14-2 against Georgia Tech, you'll be fine.

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

Grittybeard posted:

The team that killed the SWC killed the Big 12.

Honestly though no one who left had any problems with OU or whoever, everyone thought Texas was destabilizing the conference. Mainly because they were. And will again in a few years.

Texas also didn't kill the SWC. I don't want to rehash this for the 100th time, but the Longhorn Network isn't the reason the conference fell apart, it fell apart because the members who left didn't want to be a part of it anymore (and had been that way for a long time pre-dating LHN).

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

MourningView posted:

Zoran posted:

Happy wife, happy life

Seriously, it's your wife's fuckin' birthday. Go do what she wants to do.

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

History shows, again and again, how nature points out the folly of man.
https://twitter.com/GatorsFB/status/918284185080606720

I have questions

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Sab0921 posted:

Texas also didn't kill the SWC. I don't want to rehash this for the 100th time, but the Longhorn Network isn't the reason the conference fell apart, it fell apart because the members who left didn't want to be a part of it anymore (and had been that way for a long time pre-dating LHN).

There was a reason those teams were unhappy earlier, and that reason was mostly Texas. Yes it didn't start with the LHN, and no it didn't really start anywhere other than Texas.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

single-mode fiber
Dec 30, 2012

If you have enough bad wife birthdays eventually you won't have to worry about them anymore.

• Locked thread