Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
The original design for the Squire class doled out Miss Tokens (and played around with them a bit), but Jim and I eventually decided things got a bit messy when you start looking at powers/abilities that activated on specific rolls. The Rogue in particular suddenly became quite a bit stronger when someone was able to give them Miss Tokens.

Now, it didn't become like, "shatters all semblance of balance" broken, so it's possible that a balanced Miss Token based role or class could work, but I'm not precisely sure what it would look like. Maybe as a role that interacted with them could work if it simply gained them or modified them for personal use, rather than having the ability to give them away.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

I guess you could let people transfer them to other players, x tokens for a crit, if they describe how their most recent miss set up the combo?

I also tested out a "party sheet" a couple times, and you could have them accumulate there to add to party "stress," culminating in party-wide narrative complications.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

So if cash parcels have levels just like purchases do, does that mean 20 level one cash parcels is effectively a level two cash parcel?

It seems like this is what my players intend to do, but wouldn't it just be more efficient to roll for it at wealth 1 and then use a level one parcel to recover from being short? Am I misreading something, or is the discrepancy supposed to be balanced by the risk of getting flaws? If you get twist + flaw and you choose not to break the bank, do you still get a flaw somehow? Are you then unable to make more wealth rolls for the item in question? Or can you just try again next session?

I haven't given out any real loot yet, but my players have accrued about 12 level 1 cash parcels between the three of them so far. You're a lot more likely to buy your gear than find it in a cyberpunk game, so I want to make sure I understand the logistics of how items are distributed before I give them a chance to go shopping.

edit: so far, the only purchase a player has made is the Rigger spending one cash parcel to get some work done on her vespa. I told her she could roll on the Aggressive Actions table during the team conflict motorcycle race they got into without having a Biking skill for it.

edit: also what the heck are buffer points? The warlord can give them out but I can't find any other reference to them.

Ignite Memories fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Sep 27, 2017

Ghostpilot
Jun 22, 2007

"As a rule, I never touch anything more sophisticated and delicate than myself."
Buffer points = temporary hit points, if memory serves.

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

I like sharing and ice cream and animals.

Ignite Memories posted:

So if cash parcels have levels just like purchases do, does that mean 20 level one cash parcels is effectively a level two cash parcel?

It seems like this is what my players intend to do, but wouldn't it just be more efficient to roll for it at wealth 1 and then use a level one parcel to recover from being short? Am I misreading something, or is the discrepancy supposed to be balanced by the risk of getting flaws? If you get twist + flaw and you choose not to break the bank, do you still get a flaw somehow? Are you then unable to make more wealth rolls for the item in question? Or can you just try again next session?

I haven't given out any real loot yet, but my players have accrued about 12 level 1 cash parcels between the three of them so far. You're a lot more likely to buy your gear than find it in a cyberpunk game, so I want to make sure I understand the logistics of how items are distributed before I give them a chance to go shopping.

edit: so far, the only purchase a player has made is the Rigger spending one cash parcel to get some work done on her vespa. I told her she could roll on the Aggressive Actions table during the team conflict motorcycle race they got into without having a Biking skill for it.

edit: also what the heck are buffer points? The warlord can give them out but I can't find any other reference to them.

Page 63 has the rules for combining and splitting cash parcels. They are at the GM's discretion because if players just try to break them, it's not hard to do so. And feel free to change the 5:1 ratio to a 10:1 or whatever suits you based on how wealth works in your setting.

Find buffer points in the glossary, p. 95.

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

Otherkinsey Scale posted:

This still up for playtesting? Dropbox has, predictably, dropped it.

Okay, try this link: Monsters for playtest

Please send feedback on these monsters!

The main feedback I have so far is: make versions that work at varying levels so people can level them up or down. So I'll do that at some point when I get back into working on it seriously next year.

Actually, I may start having more time to work on Strike! soon (in the next few weeks) because my union might be going on strike! That'd be fitting. I don't know how long we'd be on strike for, though, so there's no way to really plan out how much I'll get done.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

Thank you!! I knew I had read that 5X = X+1 rule somewhere but I kept going to the section on wealth near the start and not being able to find it.

Rolling against wealth to accrue items is such an alien concept to me still - but it makes more sense when I think of it as also representing the availability of the item, and the costs associated to finding it. I think I'm going to introduce it to my players with a trip to the Puyallup Crime Mall after they're done clearing devil rats and malfunctioning security robots from the abandoned industrial park. (running my first boss encounter against a toxic spirit next session!)

This game is my absolute jams, by the way

Moriatti
Apr 21, 2014

Hey, if I want to develop an Adventure Path/Subsystem for Strike! What hoops do I need to jump through?
What are the guidelines for what I can and cannot include?

NachtSieger
Apr 10, 2013

Jimbozig posted:

because my union might be going on strike! That'd be fitting. I don't know how long we'd be on strike for, though, so there's no way to really plan out how much I'll get done.

Are scabs goons or stooges?

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

^^^ I was considering making a new monster type based on "The Lost" in the new XCOM 2 expansion that would be even weaker than stooges (1hp and if you kill one with a single-target attack, your action gets refunded instead of getting your role boost) and was wondering what a good name would be. Maybe "scabs" would fit...

Moriatti posted:

Hey, if I want to develop an Adventure Path/Subsystem for Strike! What hoops do I need to jump through?
What are the guidelines for what I can and cannot include?
Basically, I'm inclined to be very helpful to anyone making material for Strike! as long as it's not grossly offensive or whatever. Please, by all means, make stuff!

You can write your own stuff without needing any permissions at all. I'd appreciate a note saying "hey, I'm writing this thing," just as a courtesy, but it's not strictly necessary. There are some things you might want from me or would require my permission for:

If you want to reproduce any of my text or tables in your work, you need to clear it with me.

If you want my templates for tables in indesign so that you can make your powers and monsters look the same as mine, I could send them to you.

If you want to use my logo, we could discuss that.

If you want me to help you promote it (put it on my website, tweet about it)

The little icons (e.g. the swords for "attack action") are freely available online and don't belong to me, but I can send you all the links to them.

If you want me to look it over and make suggestions or if you want to ask about rules interactions and how to make sure your subsystems mesh properly with the rest of the game.

Jimbozig fucked around with this message at 17:50 on Sep 29, 2017

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Jimbozig posted:

The little icons (e.g. the swords for "attack action") are freely available online and don't belong to me, but I can send you all the links to them.

I'd be interested in these, if it's not too much a bother. I'm not going to publish Strike content or anything, but they'd be useful for putting on equipment cards and the like.

Moriatti
Apr 21, 2014

Jimbozig posted:

If you want to reproduce any of my text or tables in your work, you need to clear it with me.

If you want my templates for tables in indesign so that you can make your powers and monsters look the same as mine, I could send them to you.

If you want to use my logo, we could discuss that.

If you want me to help you promote it (put it on my website, tweet about it)

If you want me to look it over and make suggestions or if you want to ask about rules interactions and how to make sure your subsystems mesh properly with the rest of the game.

I bolded the two that are most relevant, but would love you to take a look at the finished module if/when I get done with it. It's fairly ambitious so tbh that's a coin toss.

My plan is to have pregens available, and I would ideally have them in the power card format I've shown previews of elsewhere in the thread. HOWEVER, I'd understand if you wouldn't want this, and can simplify them to list of power-names and reflavour ideas with a modified template allowing players to write what they want on a card should they choose to go the card route.

The other bolded option is something I'd love, as it'd make my templates easier to create.

EDIT: Skype is DoctorMoriatti if you want to reach out to me.

Moriatti fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Sep 29, 2017

gourdcaptain
Nov 16, 2012

Jimbozig posted:

^^^ I was considering making a new monster type based on "The Lost" in the new XCOM 2 expansion that would be even weaker than stooges (1hp and if you kill one with a single-target attack, your action gets refunded instead of getting your role boost) and was wondering what a good name would be. Maybe "scabs" would fit...

Giving everyone Fast Archer against them only better? That could get weird but interesting. There might be some abusable edge cases with Bombardier powers to make zones with or powers granting Buffer points (can't remember or check right now if there are at-will powers giving those that do damage.)

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

gourdcaptain posted:

Giving everyone Fast Archer against them only better? That could get weird but interesting. There might be some abusable edge cases with Bombardier powers to make zones with or powers granting Buffer points (can't remember or check right now if there are at-will powers giving those that do damage.)

Yeah, I might have to make it basic attacks only to avoid funny business. XCOM makes it a separate action that you can only use while targeting them and that replaces the regular shoot action. So you can't combine it with anything that has fun effects. It is nearly identical to Fast Archer, but keyed to a particular monster instead of a player character.

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Number 1 Nerd Tear Farmer 2022.

Keep it up, champ.

Also you're a skeleton warrior now. Kree.
Unlockable Ben
You can also get the icon images out of the character generator ZIP file.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!

I ran an Overwatch game in Strike! today at a con, it was a lot of fun. None of them had played before (and it was my first time playing offline), we all had a lot of fun! Someone wanted me to pass on that the reskinning made it a lot easier to understand how to play, I think because it was something they were already familiar with, so there you go.

Thanks so much again to Moriatti for the power card format! I'll upload the cards later if anyone wants to see how I statted everyone up.

Moriatti
Apr 21, 2014

Otherkinsey Scale posted:

Thanks so much again to Moriatti for the power card format! I'll upload the cards later if anyone wants to see how I statted everyone up.

I'm curious and also I'm glad you enjoyed them!

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Character sheets

DVa: Defender Shapechanger with Superhuman feat
Mei: Controller Bombardier with Crafty Controller
Pharah: Striker Archer with Flying
Zenyatta: Leader Squire with Minor Striker
Lucio: Bard with Sprinter (with a "wallriding" benefit instead of being able to move mid turn)
Orisa: Defender custom with Huge (and Nothing Fazes you as a class feature)

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
Yeah, that looks great! Glad people had fun. :)

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Even as someone who is insanely done with OW those are super cute, very nice. I hope the players appreciated the extra effort!

Speaking of the players, did the person playing Zen have any opinions on the Squire? Or just feedback from any of the players in general on the game?

Moriatti
Apr 21, 2014

I really like those!
I never considered changing the portrait for a Shapechanger, and instead opted to go with an icon system. I kind of like that idea though, and might have to steal it.

Where are the Bard and Squire classes from? I'm looking to actually get all of the class expansions to Strike! soon and didn't recognize those ones.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Glad you guys liked it :) I was very lucky to find some players that really appreciated the work I put into it.

Lucio as the Bard was a favorite--I was surprised because you'd think something so passive wouldn't be as popular, but the two people who played him loved him (though they both used their basic attacks more than the riffs). And in the second round, Rejuvenescia saved the entire party. Literally giving him sound barrier was way OP, but having a round of invincibility made up for making the second encounter kinda stacked against the PCs.

The Squire was also very much enjoyed by its player, although in retrospect I may not have made it clear enough he could move around his "orb". He really liked being able to help Mei out of being cornered by an enemy Bastion and evil Zenyatta. Boosting initiative to get the edge at the start of combat was also a feel-good moment.

For the game in general, one thing I did that really seemed to help was sorting the power cards by at-will, role, and action trigger/other reactions. So it made each turn "choose one thing from each of these two rows, then keep an eye on the third one throughout the round." It was still kinda complex; in particular I completely forgot about miss triggers the whole time. But that's something that comes with experience, I'm sure.

I also gave everyone a brick of legos to put their action points and miss tokens on--how people made decisions with action points was one of the more interesting things to watch; it ended up being possibly the most significant single decision someone could make. (In particular, Pharah went down because she used Strike Back on a stooge rather than save the point for Rally.) I think I might experiment with hiding an item or optional objective that lets one player gain an action point mid combat, at least in particularly difficult fights.

Moriatti
Apr 21, 2014

Did you let players give their discretionary action point? I made a full-art card for each player with as much text on it for this reason.

I also found that Jim's colour coding helped "pick a green or purple one and a red or blue one" has always been useful.

I agree that feelies for the action points and miss tokens are a must! I use poker chips because they're fun to bandy about, and can be easily referenced.

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

Moriatti posted:

Where are the Bard and Squire classes from? I'm looking to actually get all of the class expansions to Strike! soon and didn't recognize those ones.

From the expansion playtest.

Also, for people who wanted links to the icons:

Targeting
Close: https://www.flaticon.com/free-icon/explosion_13594
Melee: https://www.flaticon.com/free-icon/axe-tool-outline_28467
Ranged: https://www.flaticon.com/free-icon/bow-and-arrow_14183

Action Types
Attack: https://www.flaticon.com/free-icon/cross-swords_12373
Trigger: https://www.flaticon.com/free-icon/lightning_168
Move: https://www.flaticon.com/free-icon/runer-silhouette-running-fast_55240
Role: https://www.flaticon.com/free-icon/teamwork_509644
Free: https://www.flaticon.com/free-icon/circle-outline_32341

Stats
Damage: https://www.flaticon.com/free-icon/big-blood-drop_20762
HP: https://www.flaticon.com/free-icon/heart-black-shape_46029
Speed: https://www.flaticon.com/free-icon/runer-silhouette-running-fast_55240

Did I miss any? I know I used to have a text file with all the links but it looks like it was a victim of the tragic death of my last hard drive, so I had to reassemble it.

Jimbozig fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Oct 4, 2017

Moriatti
Apr 21, 2014

On the playtest, Shieldbearer has it's Avenging, Protecting and Sacrificing class features.

I'm assuming these are selected at character creation and not when their ally is designated?

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Correct.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

Quick question - Stooges have 1 less damage on all their attacks / effect line than regular monsters, but what if the normal attack only deals 1 damage? For instance, a Blaster Stooge attacks with Blast. (1 damage 2 ongoing) Does he

a) deal 0 damage for the attack, 1 ongoing damage for the effect

or

b) deal 1 damage for the attack, 1 ongoing damage for the effect?

edit: countblanc helped me out with this, thanks cb

Ignite Memories fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Oct 12, 2017

narelith
Feb 26, 2017

Mew!
So, Defenders are really powerful. Two Defenders against one target can shut down a pretty large subset of enemies -- basically anyone without melee Bursts, and even then positioning can guarantee fistfuls of 3 Damage against a single target. They're also way tougher to kill than anyone else in a given party, particularly with Toughness.

So I was surprised to find that the Opportunity rules state that you can take an Opportunity against one target once per *turn*, not round. Against Champions, this could quickly become absurd. If you had to roll to hit with Opportunities, that'd be different -- but I support them being a guaranteed form of retribution. It's part of the deterrent they provide.

Still, like with "end of encounter" Ongoing Damage, I felt like Opportunities stack inappropriately against Champions, and so I'm sticking with what I assumed as a house rule: one Opportunity per target, per round. This *sounds* bad for the Duelist / Defender, but putting it in perspective, this is 3 automatic Damage without an action. There's a class that can spend its Attack Actions doing that.

Otherwise, Strike! is still working out swimmingly for me. It's a fantastic system.

ed: Am I missing something, by the way? For GMs, how do you generally handle Defender players, particularly two at once? The other GM that I talk to agrees Defenders are pretty strong, so other perspective would be nice.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

It's not in the rules, but I think I would house-rule that either

a) you can't be marked by more than one enemy; if you're marked and someone else marks you, the first mark ends, or

b) you only grant an opportunity if you make an attack that doesn't target any of the enemies marking you. This is largely equivalent to the above in practice, so pick whichever sounds more reasonable.

eth0.n
Jun 1, 2012
Keep in mind that most marks fall off after the Champions first turn after application, so in practice, enforcement is usually once per target per round anyway.

Also, getting grabbed shuts down defenders (no OAs), and is a pretty common monster ability.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Yes, Defenders don't get multiple turns of marks on Champions per round.

e: I always get super paranoid when I post rule clarifications here that I'm mis-remembering so I went back to check, and yes, the Mark power specifically states that the mark lasts until the end of the target's next turn (which would be after the first of its next three attacks for a Champion).

Countblanc fucked around with this message at 03:13 on Oct 14, 2017

Kaja Rainbow
Oct 17, 2012

~Adorable horror~
Honestly, I get an impression that a party with good synergy and players who know how to use it is very powerful. That's based on my experiences running the game. They're level 8 and they have so many ways to gently caress with the enemies.

Edit: but yeah the mark should fall off after the first turn by the Champion.

Kaja Rainbow fucked around with this message at 02:53 on Oct 14, 2017

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

narelith posted:

So, Defenders are really powerful. Two Defenders against one target can shut down a pretty large subset of enemies -- basically anyone without melee Bursts, and even then positioning can guarantee fistfuls of 3 Damage against a single target. They're also way tougher to kill than anyone else in a given party, particularly with Toughness.

So I was surprised to find that the Opportunity rules state that you can take an Opportunity against one target once per *turn*, not round. Against Champions, this could quickly become absurd. If you had to roll to hit with Opportunities, that'd be different -- but I support them being a guaranteed form of retribution. It's part of the deterrent they provide.

Still, like with "end of encounter" Ongoing Damage, I felt like Opportunities stack inappropriately against Champions, and so I'm sticking with what I assumed as a house rule: one Opportunity per target, per round. This *sounds* bad for the Duelist / Defender, but putting it in perspective, this is 3 automatic Damage without an action. There's a class that can spend its Attack Actions doing that.

Otherwise, Strike! is still working out swimmingly for me. It's a fantastic system.

ed: Am I missing something, by the way? For GMs, how do you generally handle Defender players, particularly two at once? The other GM that I talk to agrees Defenders are pretty strong, so other perspective would be nice.

There are a ton of statuses that shut down opportunities

Kabbak
Dec 19, 2016

megane posted:

It's not in the rules, but I think I would house-rule that either

a) you can't be marked by more than one enemy; if you're marked and someone else marks you, the first mark ends, or

b) you only grant an opportunity if you make an attack that doesn't target any of the enemies marking you. This is largely equivalent to the above in practice, so pick whichever sounds more reasonable.

I had a houserule in effect for marking monsters: "If you attack at least 1 enemy that marks you, then the opportunities from marks of other enemies deal 2 less damage."
If a player gets double marked, then they should really attack at least one of the markers, but if they only can attack one they won't get destroyed. Usually defenders get +1 damage on Opportunities so stacking still has a bit
of that catch-22 but not too much of it.
I didn't have players with multiple marks but I used this for monster marks, so I could comfortably use multiple defender monsters without feeling too cheap (especially with Monsters with a Mark aura).
And then the best tactic for defenders wasn't to all cluster around one guy but to take the heat from as many enemies as possible.

Kabbak fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Oct 15, 2017

narelith
Feb 26, 2017

Mew!
Yeah, I'm aware that Statuses exist to prevent Opportunities and that Champions are only Marked for one turn at a time. The same is true of Duelist Marks.

Still, there's a fine line between totally hosing Defenders and letting them get a lot of Opportunities, or letting them use those Opportunities to essentially be Strikers.

I guess the real question is, do you generally build your monsters with some way to deal with Defenders baked in (a Status, a trait, etc.)?

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world

megane posted:

This is my preferred houserule, but my understanding is that multi-defender unavoidable mark damage isn’t actually any crazier than multi-striker buttblast alpha strikes or other gimmicks in testing. Still, for aesthetic reasons I prefer that lots of defenders means that more enemy attacks are mitigated (by the fact that attacking a defender is inefficient, as they constantly heal themselves and such) rather than punished.

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

Hey, I'm raising money for SickKids hospital where Thalia has been getting treatment this year. If you've been on the fence about buying the game or a mini-expansion or a physical copy, this is the month to do it! You not only get the game but all the money goes to helping sick children.

More details here.

Even if you already have the complete Strike! collection, so to speak, please share this around and help out.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Jimbozig posted:

Hey, I'm raising money for SickKids hospital where Thalia has been getting treatment this year. If you've been on the fence about buying the game or a mini-expansion or a physical copy, this is the month to do it! You not only get the game but all the money goes to helping sick children.

More details here.

Even if you already have the complete Strike! collection, so to speak, please share this around and help out.

I think it's really cool that you're doing this.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

homullus posted:

I think it's really cool that you're doing this.

Same. I posted it on another forum and on a few Discords I'm in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

Just put it on our show twitter. We'll mention it on the show next week too.