Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr. Gargunza
May 19, 2011

He damned me for a eunuch,
and my mother for a whore.

Fun Shoe

berzerkmonkey posted:

I was just giving you crap - all WIPs look terrible until they hit that one particular tipping point. How did you do the lightning bolts? Just really fine brushwork?

Yes, please describe the lightning process, Hixson (and welcome back!) I've given myself the potentially maddening task of "paint basically a Hubble photograph onto the robes of a gnome," and any tips will be welcome. :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gilgameshback
May 18, 2010

Decorus posted:

Is there some easy way to create a sandy base? I have a bunch of models for the campaign that would look much better with a textured base, but I'm too lazy to do much work for it.

By far the easiest way is to paint the base with white glue and then dip it in actual sand.

richyp
Dec 2, 2004

Grumpy old man

Gilgameshback posted:

By far the easiest way is to paint the base with white glue and then dip it in actual sand a textured paint (e.g. GW Astrogranite or Vallejo Grey Pumice) and drybrush it.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005
Yeah, please describe the lightning technique its really great

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

Pierzak posted:

Are we talking about the same glaze medium? I use Vallejo Glaze Medium and found that even a little bit added to the paint mix is crazy good for reducing pooling, and if the mix does pool it's more likely to dry smooth and not leave ring marks.

It might have gone off. The bottle is ancient. I'll try with a newer bottle and report back.

Also my GW Leviathan Purple Ink smells really funky. Anyone had that happen before?

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Z the IVth posted:

Also my GW Leviathan Purple Ink smells really funky. Anyone had that happen before?
Yes, I've had that problem with some GW washes, in particular Devlan Mud which I've heard other people compare to old sweaty socks.
Those washes are still good to use despite the terrible smell, they get better once they've dried :v:

Hixson
Mar 27, 2009

berzerkmonkey posted:

I was just giving you crap - all WIPs look terrible until they hit that one particular tipping point. How did you do the lightning bolts? Just really fine brushwork?

Dr. Gargunza posted:

Yes, please describe the lightning process, Hixson (and welcome back!)

The lightning is incredibly easy. I spray thin lines across the model with VGA electric blue to simulate the "glow" where you want lightning like this:

Then it's just brush work with watered down white. It isn't precise by any means. Just draw some jagged lines. Go back over a second time and give some of the "intersections" of the white lines a second coat to make them pop out

Hixson
Mar 27, 2009

TTerrible posted:

Yeah, please describe the lightning technique its really great

Now you can copy my homemade totally original technique forum poster TTerrible

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

Yeah, and GW's texture paint is pretty much a perfect scale for sand with a model that size. What I find, at least with a Citadel base, is that a thin coat of texture paint and then a drybrush will catch both the texture from the paint, and also the moulded texture on the base itself. I find it looks a lot better than using real sand.

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

Groetgaffel smacked the living shit out of himself doing 297 points of damage.

Lovely Joe Stalin posted:

Yeah, and GW's texture paint is pretty much a perfect scale for sand with a model that size. What I find, at least with a Citadel base, is that a thin coat of texture paint and then a drybrush will catch both the texture from the paint, and also the moulded texture on the base itself. I find it looks a lot better than using real sand.
GW's texture paints are good stuff. I use the same basing for all my plastic mans; Astrogranite, Nuln Oil wash, Celestra Grey drybrush. Here's an example.

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
n'thing texture paints. They work really well.

You can wash them first if you want to tint them, like I did on the Megaboss. That's astrogranite with a wash of druchi violet. They also work really well with rocks or cork, if you want to add some scenery to your bases.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro
If you don’t mind painting them the Vallejo ones (dark earth, black lava, red oxide, etc) are a lot cheaper.

I’m certainly not gonna glue sand anymore.

Dr. Gargunza
May 19, 2011

Fun Shoe

JoshTheStampede posted:

If you don’t mind painting them the Vallejo ones (dark earth, black lava, red oxide, etc) are a lot cheaper.

I’m certainly not gonna glue sand anymore.

Fun fact about Vallejo Black Lava (sorry for the incoming déja vu): You can spread it in a thin layer, flatten it out, and then drybrush it with progressively lighter greys for easy asphalt pavement!

Also, the texture paints, GW, Vallejo and otherwise, can all be put on the base before priming, and painted in any scheme you like. This step is unnecessary, but some people (me) like to do that to avoid any hassle guiding the texture paints around models' feet and potentially loving up their paint jobs.

Frobbe
Jan 19, 2007

Calm Down
Painted up a mechanicum boy last night

Gosh i love painting their red robes, so dense!

Ayn Marx
Dec 21, 2012

Making good progress on my Raptors biglys.

WIP chaplain:

Dr. Gargunza
May 19, 2011

Fun Shoe

Ayn Marx posted:

WIP chaplain:

Looking great so far, nice and clean! (I hadn't even noticed that the bigmarine helmets facilitate freehand skull painting on the faceplate.)

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Ayn Marx posted:

WIP chaplain:

I like the "alt-WW2" vibe the OD Green gives these guys.

Lupercalcalcal
Jan 28, 2016

Suck a dick, dumb shits
Here are some of my Primaris (Warhammer 40k) - the Knights Repentant. I wanted to improve my freehand so I created a chapter where every marine has custom heraldry.

And one with one of my feudal world guardsmen for size comparison.

bonds0097
Oct 23, 2010

I would cry but I don't think I can spare the moisture.
Pillbug

Dr. Gargunza posted:

Looking great so far, nice and clean! (I hadn't even noticed that the bigmarine helmets facilitate freehand skull painting on the faceplate.)

Those are the Reiver helmets, which have sculpted skulls. Regular biglies are MK IV helmets.

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?
Now the impossible task of picking a paint for my soon to be here patriot.

Got rid of all my modelling supplies when I sold my models last, so I'm pretty much starting from scratch with this airbrush gear.

6mm-15mm will be the main thing painted. I've used P3 and Citadel in the past.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005
If you're starting afresh go for one of the Vallejo air lines with badger primer.

Model air for realistic stuff
Game air for fantasy stuff

Realistically you'll end up wanting stuff from all the ranges but those are a good place to start.

bonds0097
Oct 23, 2010

Pillbug
Reaper are also really good airbrush paints, while also working great for brushing. They've become my favorite, though I also love my Vallejo airs.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

goodness posted:

Now the impossible task of picking a paint for my soon to be here patriot.

Got rid of all my modelling supplies when I sold my models last, so I'm pretty much starting from scratch with this airbrush gear.

6mm-15mm will be the main thing painted. I've used P3 and Citadel in the past.

P3 and Citadel (and Vallejo) work fine in an airbrush - no need to buy airbrush specific when you have perfectly good paints available. I don't see the point of paying the same amount for a bottle of paint that's been thinned - you're paying for half the paint and a bunch of airbrush medium. I've transferred all my GW to dropper bottles to make transferring to the airbrush cup easier though.

I eyeball a 50/50 mix of paint (or thereabouts) and Les Bursley's airbrush thinner (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GoKJUrISnTo) and have had no issues (unless you count lovely Army Painter problems.)

For the record, I'm also doing 6mm.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
Tamiya has a limited line since they're more for vehicle model kits, but they spray very cleanly, and since they're formulated differently from most acrylics they tend to be a bit more resistant to washes.

Future is really handy for thinning paints that dont have their own thinner.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

TTerrible posted:

If you're starting afresh go for one of the Vallejo air lines with badger primer.

Model air for realistic stuff
Game air for fantasy stuff

Realistically you'll end up wanting stuff from all the ranges but those are a good place to start.

This is good, but you should also look into Scale 75. Those paints rule!

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

goodness posted:

You never "quit", you only ever "stop".

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
I put together a video tutorial to show off my technique for heat staining - it's a neat little trick to use on gun barrels, engines, or what have you:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YyCvocLy9Wo

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

Groetgaffel smacked the living shit out of himself doing 297 points of damage.

SRM posted:

I put together a video tutorial to show off my technique for heat staining - it's a neat little trick to use on gun barrels, engines, or what have you:
When are you going to do the barrel-drilling tutorial? :v:

Decorus
Aug 26, 2015
That GW texture paint is pretty decent, though it does take some getting used to. A thinned down wash really brings out the detail. Here are a few quick basing experiments:

An old Tomb Spyder I had laying around. It's a giant bone scarab construct now. Just Armageddon Dunes and a drybrysh of Vallejo Desert yellow.

Thinned down wash on this one, looks much better.

My finished alchemist.

Unrelated to the basing, I just like this image. The slight overexposure(?) works with the super-bright highlighting I was trying out.

bonds0097
Oct 23, 2010

Pillbug

Lord_Hambrose posted:

This is good, but you should also look into Scale 75. Those paints rule!

If you're just starting, scale75 paints can be frustrating. They're super thick and tend to turn into a gloopy mess in my badger 105 that takes ages to clean out compared to vallejo airs and reaper paints. And that's with copious amounts of airbrush thinner and flow improver.

They look pretty awesome though, some of the shades are unlike anything else in my massive collection of paints and I love them. I have the normal set but want to get the fantasy set as well.

Major Spag
Nov 4, 2012
Hey look, a shiny dudeman painted.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Groetgaffel posted:

When are you going to do the barrel-drilling tutorial? :v:

I didn't feel like busting out my power drill because it's the only thing with a bore large enough for a multimelta.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes

SRM posted:

I didn't feel like busting out my power drill because it's the only thing with a bore large enough for a multimelta.

I recently got one of these things. It's been great for drilling bigger holes in plastic for magnets and such.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
Yeah, a pin vice is a really valuable modelling tool. The better ones let you drill out larger diameter holes like Bucnasti mentioned

Dr. Gargunza
May 19, 2011

Fun Shoe

SRM posted:

The thing I've really been appreciating about your videos is the professional quality of the editing and VO work, and this was your best one yet. (Heat staining is one of my favorite effects, so I might be a bit prejudiced.)

Where did you get the rotating display base?

Mugaaz
Mar 1, 2008

WHY IS THERE ALWAYS SOME JUSTICE WARRIOR ON EVERY FORUM
:qq::qq::qq:
Any use Martian Ironcrust and washed it? Curious to see what results you get with which washes.

Dr Hemulen
Jan 25, 2003

For me, the worst thin about drilling barrels is centering the hole. It always ends up slightly skewed, and it's driving me crazy.

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

oh my god is that a circular saw that does not go in my mouth aaaaagh
Use your hobby knife to mark the center, then drill a smaller-than-necessary pilot hole, fix up the centering as needed with your knife again, and finally drill the real hole.

Mugaaz
Mar 1, 2008

WHY IS THERE ALWAYS SOME JUSTICE WARRIOR ON EVERY FORUM
:qq::qq::qq:
Use a pin to create a small divot in the center. Without it the bit spins out of the center before finally biting into the plastic and will be off center.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr Hemulen
Jan 25, 2003

Yeah, I'm doing the marking, but I'm somehow managing to gently caress it up anyways. I haven't tried two stages like Dentist suggests, that sounds like a good solution.